Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I bought my Scout as a frame only, and I'm currently running 140mm RS Sektors. The standard 140mm Pikes aren't available aftermarket, so I'm thinking of getting some 150mm versions. Would these stuff up the HA much? Anyone already running these?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    the conversion from 150 to 140 is preety simple. you only have to change the airdamper shaft.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by awai04 View Post
    Thanks! The logo is a black vinyl decal. It looks painted, but I keep the option of changing to a new color or style sometime later.
    Where did you get the vinyl decal?
    If there's no mountain, it's just biking.

mtbr member
    Somebody makes and sells them on eBay. Search "transition decals" and you should find them.

Quote Originally Posted by jfett View Post
    Where did you get the vinyl decal?
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Oh nice! Thank you
    If there's no mountain, it's just biking.

mtbr member
    I was told that there may be a difference between switching from 160 to 140 and 150 to 140mm. Is that true?? Or, does just the airshaft change for each travel setting and the rest of the fork is the same? I pieced together my Scout starting from frame-only also. I had outside help getting my Pike to 140mm so I'm a little fuzzy on those details.

Quote Originally Posted by flowbike View Post
    the conversion from 150 to 140 is preety simple. you only have to change the airdamper shaft.

SC Junkie
    Guy's you can convert a 27.5 Pike to whatever length you like. Like others have said the air shaft needs to be changed. Mine started out at 160mm and has seen 140 and 130mm. It's not that hard really. I would look at the Pike manual at www.sram.com. I think page 12 explains all the shaft conversions.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Hack tip of the day, you can also cut the air shaft on the Pike as long as you are within 10mm of the travel you want to be at. I cut my 150 air shaft down to 142 and it works great. You just have to make sure you have enough threads for the bolt. I could have cut it down to 140, but I wanted to be on the safe side. : )
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

My Scout build

Got er all built up the other day. Went with build 2 and swapped out for X1 and added Reverb. I've only been able to ride around the house so no good report yet and the next few days aren't looking any better. I'll give a report once I've had some saddle time. Thanks a ton for everything Allen!Scout Build Thread-image.jpgScout Build Thread-image.jpgScout Build Thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Looks great...you have the 150mm pike up front right? Man, I love that yellow. I was building mine last night with a buddy, but fell short when we learned that I was sold the wrong headset. Build resumes tonight, can't wait. I have a 150mm pike too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sweet! There was a mix up on mine as well and I ended up with the 140 pike. It's all good though, I'll ride her this way for a while then change to 150 eventually. I can't wait to ride a proper trail! And I've never had a dropper post before, life changing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    FYI, looks like there are a few mis labeled air shafts....Krusty had the correct part number, but wrong Air Shaft...they are stamped on the bottom near the threads so double check against the packaging.
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Wow smitty your buddy must have a lot of patience with you. Hopefully you bring some wire hangers for that cable routing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by awai04 View Post
    Ok, here's my new Scout. The only twist here is the stopover at Spectrum Powder Works. Baby blue sparkle is the color.
    Lovely
    Put your phone down and get riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Me and my patient buddy finished up last night. Just need to grab one more brake adaptor for my front XT and it'll be complete...well until I pick up my dropper. Waiting on custom Pike decals at the meoment too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Didn't build it, but just picked it up. Scout 2 build and I put on a Reverb Stealth 125 and my SLX brakes. Thanks to Chucks Bikes, you guys rule! Just waiting for the weather to clear and the trails to dry, hopefully I can ride this weekend!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scout Build Thread-img_2830.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Smitty, I routed both my rear brake hose and rear shift cable through the hole on the left side. This provides a more gradual bend in the cable/hose. Save the hole on the right side for your dropper post. Fishing the other hose/cable out the same hole was a pain in the *ss, however. Enjoy your new ride. I've had a lot of fun with mine. I've had about 6 rides so far on mine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Y
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    Smitty, I routed both my rear brake hose and rear shift cable through the hole on the left side. This provides a more gradual bend in the cable/hose. Save the hole on the right side for your dropper post. Fishing the other hose/cable out the same hole was a pain in the *ss, however. Enjoy your new ride. I've had a lot of fun with mine. I've had about 6 rides so far on mine.
    Hahah, yeah good advice. I've been fearing the day Of dropper installation. Internal routing may look clean, but it's a pain in the d1ck. Transition, please go back to external routing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Running a dropper, left hand rear brake and two mech cables through internal routing wasn't much fun haha. Anyone got any tips for stopping the cables making noise in the frame over rough terrain?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    When I switched my brakes over and installed my dropper I found out very quickly you need some "homemade" tools to aide in the install. Mine were fishing line, flexible spring claw tool, and surgical clamping tool. It was a pain, but not as bad as I thought.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Scout Build Thread-image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by toodles View Post
    Running a dropper, left hand rear brake and two mech cables through internal routing wasn't much fun haha. Anyone got any tips for stopping the cables making noise in the frame over rough terrain?
    I put some foam padding that came with a window air conditioner. I used to use it to protect from cable rub on my other bike. It has double sided tape so you can cut to size. I also found some at a craft store.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Well here's my initial build. Got some 150mm revs on at the moment which will be swapped for pikes in due course. Custom flow decals from Slik graphics. Feels great out on the trails, jumps like a kangaroo, rails berms like a train. Happy times ahead.

Scout Build Thread-20150411_121500_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    ^ love the custom Flow stickers!!! Your little splashes of red really works with black and blue...never thought it would, but it does. I too went with red accents.

Great to hear you're loving it on the trails! I was hoping for a poppy playful bike with the Scout. How has the Monarch been for you so far?

For now I can only look at mine as I rehab from double meniscus surgery. But, damn, it's a sexy bike...makes my living room look good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SmittyPDX View Post
    ^ love the custom Flow stickers!!! Your little splashes of red really works with black and blue...never thought it would, but it does. I too went with red accents.

Great to hear you're loving it on the trails! I was hoping for a poppy playful bike with the Scout. How has the Monarch been for you so far?

For now I can only look at mine as I rehab from double meniscus surgery. But, damn, it's a sexy bike...makes my living room look good.
    Thanks. Yeah the red idea came from my evo backpack (which is cyan and red). Don't think the grips will stay bright red long :/

Sorry to hear about your surgery, not sure I could have a great looking bike like that in my living room..think I would go mad.

Shocks a winner, still dialing it in but I won't be replacing it anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

First impression of the ride

I finally got a chance to ride my Scout out on the trail and a few things became immediately apparent.

First the E13 42 extended range cassette is a must! I am coming off a 2x that had 24/38 with a 11-36 cassette and the jump to a single is tough. The loss off those extra gears means that on the steep stuff you have to stand to climb. This is a lot different from by previous bike that the best climbing was seated.(to maintain traction) standing would spin out the rear wheel. The Scout seems to have better traction.

The second thing I noticed is the front end is so easy to get off the ground. When you get that front end up the rest of the bike follows. I have never ridden a bike with a short stem and wide bars. I think this combo gives such good leverage that it gives it that poppy feel. Slow steering is also better than I have experienced so when I get into the technical stuff it's easier to maintain balance.

Third is does like to be leaned into turns. Didn't get to really push the bike but the few turns I did get you can wait a little longer before you commit to the turn, then compress and power out.

Note to self.....you have a dropper now use it! Got to get used to using a dropper. I went through a few sketchy sections and never pushed the button.

Going back out today, unfortunately the good trails around here are just not dry enough to hit. The only rideable trail is the easy one, but it still allows to get to know the bike.
    Last edited by BluePitch; 04-13-2015 at 02:10 PM.

mtbr member
    I cut tiny squares out of double sided foam exterior mounting tape and sandwiched those between the frame and cables where they exit. Then I secured the cables with small zip ties.

As for passing the cables thru the frame, a leading shifter cable can be taped parallel to the housing, passed thru the frame, and then pulled out at the other side by a partially unfolded paper clip. The drum side of the shifter cable leads, of course

Anyone got any tips for stopping the cables making noise in the frame over rough terrain?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Are you guys zip tying the cables at the bottom bracket? Could you snap a JPEG of how much slack you're givign yourselves for suspension compression? I've seen a thread on Pinkbike where the compression had caused the cables to rub the paint off of the frame. One guy taped the cables together so they wouldn't get sucked into the frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    to help with the rattle
    Scout Build Thread-img_2847.jpg
    Plenty of room for the travel
    Scout Build Thread-img_2848.jpg
    Scout Build Thread-img_2851.jpg
    Are you guys zip tying the cables at the bottom bracket? Could you snap a JPEG of how much slack you're givign yourselves for suspension compression? I've seen a thread on Pinkbike where the compression had caused the cables to rub the paint off of the frame. One guy taped the cables together so they wouldn't get sucked into the frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    ^ Gracias!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ^ Gracias!!!!
    De nada

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anyone here using a narrow wide with a 40t or 42t expander? Just wondering what size BB spacer you are using.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenspink View Post
    Anyone here using a narrow wide with a 40t or 42t expander? Just wondering what size BB spacer you are using.
    I have the Scout 2 build and the e13 42t cassette came with the bike, but it wasn't installed. I put it on immediately and the bottom bracket spacer looks like this. Eyeball measurement 1mm?

Scout Build Thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    I have the Scout 2 build and the e13 42t cassette came with the bike, but it wasn't installed. I put it on immediately and the bottom bracket spacer looks like this. Eyeball measurement 1mm?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	980890
    Thanks for posting that. I've put on a 2.5 as per shimano's instructions..
    http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/dri...bb-install.gif

But I think i'll swap for a thinner one to make the chainline better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for posting that. I've put on a 2.5 as per shimano's instructions..
    http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/dri...bb-install.gif

But I think i'll swap for a thinner one to make the chainline better.
    My bike came with the Race Face Ride 32T NW 175 crank. not sure if there's a difference between what Shimano uses.

Keep in mind I just took a guess at the size by looking at it, my internal measuring devise is horribly inaccurate!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Guessing it will have a better chainline (being a single ring) than my XT double cranks.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Guessing it will have a better chainline (being a single ring) than my XT double cranks.

Thanks
    I just went out to the garage and looked at my digital caliper and I'm almost certain that it's 2mm. I can't get it in there to measure but when I opened it to 2mm I found my internal caliper is way off! Go with what Shimano recommends.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yeah I'll see how I get on other the next week or so.

Thanks for all your time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just wondering if anyone has noticed a little bit of oil loss on their shock after a ride? Came back after a bumpy one and the ring had some around it covered in dust.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just wondering if anyone has noticed a little bit of oil loss on their shock after a ride? Came back after a bumpy one and the ring had some around it covered in dust.
    still waiting to heal up before I go for my first ride, but when I was setting sag the other day I noticed a bit of oil. It's normal. My CCDB air did the same thing...there was a thread about it somewhere and it was determined as a part of normal operation. I wouldn't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    still waiting to heal up before I go for my first ride, but when I was setting sag the other day I noticed a bit of oil. It's normal. My CCDB air did the same thing...there was a thread about it somewhere and it was determined as a part of normal operation. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Phew..thanks mate,

Last thing I want is to be sending the thing back for weeks on end!

mtbr member
    So, I have got over 75 miles of singletrack in on the Scout so far, and it justs keeps getting better and better. I had one setup issue I want to share to anyone that is building up a frame so they can avoid it. Make sure not to zip tie the der. housing too tight on the chainstay. If you do this, when the suspension compresses, it can pull the housing out of the rear der. Also, make sure to zip tie the cables together where they come out at the bottom of the frame. This keeps them from getting sucked back up into the frame when the suspension compresses. After I did both of the above, it has been perfect ever since.
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have the same thing. Started off having a lot of oil now its visible just not as bad. My Fox did this just on my other bike after servicing. Seems to be the norm I guess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Cheers for the tips. Loving mine so far - 40km on the clock and growing. First night ride on it last night was a blast.

The cables inside the frame do make a bit of a clanging noise still over rough sections, so will pack some foam in there or something when I open it up to change the fork.

Following the setup guide for the shock that was provided on the Transition website is a great help. Pretty much spot on within a few minutes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Cheers for the tips. Loving mine so far - 40km on the clock and growing. First night ride on it last night was a blast.

The cables inside the frame do make a bit of a clanging noise still over rough sections, so will pack some foam in there or something when I open it up to change the fork.

Following the setup guide for the shock that was provided on the Transition website is a great help. Pretty much spot on within a few minutes.
    Yep that video on vimeo is a great help.

Cable rattle is my only issue now. Not sure about the packing solution as it could get a bit stuck down there and prove a problem when chaning hose.

Going off to search and find more solutions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Well emailed the guys at Transition and this is what they said...

"The trick is to use some flexible heat shrink tubing when you are building the bike so that it covers the hoses and cable housings several inches inside and outside of the frame. You will also want to zip tie the hoses and cables together tightly right where they enter the frame."

Having built the bike already im going to use the hose slack I have under the BB to allow me to wrap the hoses with either heat shrink wrap pr just something like rubber tape.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I finally received my Scout frame at Wednesday and built it immediately. Just in time for our bike clubs Thursday ride session. Some tunings were done on the trail side, like adjusting handlebar, maxle position, rear suspension pressure, but some more shall be done. E.g. seat is way too far back. I don't know, how KS Lev switch shall be positioned. It is pretty OK now, but cable routing is disturbingly high.

3420g including frame (L), seat tube collar and rear axle

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Good looking Scout Troh!! Check out KS's south paw dropper lever...it mimics a front shifter. I have it on both my bikes; way better than then the switch included.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    "The trick is to use some flexible heat shrink tubing when you are building the bike so that it covers the hoses and cable housings several inches inside and outside of the frame. You will also want to zip tie the hoses and cables together tightly right where they enter the frame."
    This trick really works. As my bike were already built, I couldn't use heat shrink tube anymore without ripping brake line and gear cables out. Instead I stretched cables out of frame as much as possible by turning handlebar and removing brake caliber and derailleur. By this way I could stretch cables out of frame more than 4". Then I used ice hockey stick tape to wrap cables. This tape is sort of fabric based tape and thus is bit soft and silent.

Then putting everything back in order and go riding. Seat post cable is still free without any modifications. It rattles little bit, but since brake and gear cables don't do it anymore, bike is much more silent now.

Southpaw trigger for KS Lev is in sourcing. I haven't found it from local stores, but Bike-Discount seem to have it in stock. Maybe I fix seat post cable after getting this trigger change done first.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Having ridden the scout for a few weeks now including an enduro race im wondering if it would actually be ok with a 160mm up front.

UK distributor of Transition said anything over 150 would start to effect the geo of the bike more than wanted, but has anyone running a 160 and had a 150 or 140 before, what are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Having ridden the scout for a few weeks now including an enduro race im wondering if it would actually be ok with a 160mm up front.

UK distributor of Transition said anything over 150 would start to effect the geo of the bike more than wanted, but has anyone running a 160 and had a 150 or 140 before, what are your thoughts?
    I just got (and have already raced last Saturday) a 2015 Fox 36 set at 150mm. Honestly, that is as high as I would go with the Scout. Anything higher and it is going to start to feel unbalanced. Also, it is just not needed. We raced on a really rocky super d course that had rock gardens like a normal DH race track, and the scout ate it up. I was making up time on my buddy on a Nomad through the rocks during practice. 150 feels perfect on that bike for the rough stuff.
    SEI Racing

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast