Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 1,001 to 1,087 of 1087
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JDub713 View Post
    Build complete, ready for big bear this summer
    Good to see the original Limeade versions representing!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Has anyone messed with removing the Transition decal on the carbon frame and put a different color on it?
    If there's no mountain, it's just biking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfett View Post
    Has anyone messed with removing the Transition decal on the carbon frame and put a different color on it?
    Not a decal on the carbon frames
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miťrcoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi all, as previously commented I find the standard monarch RT3 is great untill I ride over bigger square edge rocks where it really hangs the bike, it also gets overwhelmed in rock gardens or bigger rooty trails.
    Obviously it's limited to a certain degree by the amount of travel but was wondering if anyone has tried getting it tuned to improve the performance and if so what did you get done and what was the outcome.
    (Currenty run with 3 bands in the shock).

Noticed the avalanche tune but would prefer not to send it off to the US and preferably get something done via TF ETC.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Check out my shimstack for Smuggler: Smuggler shock options

It should also work on Scout. If you are willing to give up the lockout function of the shock you can revalve the Monarch to perform much better. This setup is for heavy rider (I'm over 100kg). If you are lighter, you must definitely select lighter rebound stack and most probably reduce the stiffness of the compression speed stack (i.e. instead of three 0.25mm shims something less). It will probably take two or three attempts to get it right.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried the angle set for the Scout?
    How much the bb height drops

Thinking about 1 degree angle set.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Macharza View Post

Not to derail or anything but if you're running a Pike the 150mm air leg is cheaper than an angleset, slackens it out and raises the BB slightly. I don't think I'd want to go any lower than a stock Scout BB for most places.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

It will lower the BB by about 1/16". In other words, almost nothing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Alittle pricy but running 160mm forks slackens the HA. Transition themselves mentioned this in a recent interview on the Scout.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys for advice!

I'm already running DVO Diamond 150 fork and ordered from Works Component a new 1 degree angle set

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Scout Build Thread-unnamed.jpghey guy ! just come back to the belgian race, finish 57/250 guy,lot of big bike in steep section but this little rocket was faster ! incredible bike, maybe i will buy his big brother !

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideflo59 View Post
    hey guy ! just come back to the belgian race, finish 57/250 guy,lot of big bike in steep section but this little rocket was faster ! incredible bike, maybe i will buy his big brother !
    Awesome looking Scout mate. Any problems getting the braided lines through the internal cable routing channels? I was a bit worried the bigger OD on the braided cables would be a problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thx Bro ! The most difficult was the brake c‚ble (aviation by hope) bust just take 10-15minute for put it ! The TITS technology is nice

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Cheers for the reply. I'm hoping to get a carbon frame for my Scout sometime and was worried if the TITS system would work with braided lines. Well done on the Enduro result!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by toodles View Post
    Cheers for the reply. I'm hoping to get a carbon frame for my Scout sometime and was worried if the TITS system would work with braided lines. Well done on the Enduro result!
    that's gona be find! the worst was the cable's seatpost because the space for fit in the seat tube it's pretty smal but my fing is maybe so tall for this haha

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Question for you folks, I have a stock 160mm rotor on the back of my Scout now. If I want to move to a 180mm rotor, what adapter do I need?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    Question for you folks, I have a stock 160mm rotor on the back of my Scout now. If I want to move to a 180mm rotor, what adapter do I need?

Thanks again!
    Shimano F180P/P2 Disc Brake Adaptor > Components > Brakes & Shifters > Brake Adapters | Jenson USA

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

I'm 5'9 and running the 125mm KS Lev on my medium Scout with no issues. Not sure what Reverb would suit.

@ 5'9" were the same height, and I'm pretty sure I saw you mention having stumpy legs as do I haha.

my questions are, how slammed is your post into the frame, what crank arm length do you run, and with your build do you think you could run a 150/160mm dropper?

Thanks
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm running a BikeYoke 160mm dropper now with nearly maximum insertion (works great!). I used to run a 125mm KS Lev which was at maximum extension (short post length).

170mm cranks on both bikes.

mtbr member
    I'm running a BikeYoke 160mm dropper now with nearly maximum insertion (works great!). I used to run a 125mm KS Lev which was at maximum extension (short post length).

Thanks! Good to know!
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just put a DB Inline on my Scout. My Monarch was due for a service and with the Inline so reduced in price I thought I would give it a try. Just after a few laps I can highly recommend it--much more small bump absorption and plush on the rough stuff going downhill. I know they are supposed to have some durability issues, but since Ive got the monarch for backup, no worries!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Air or cool?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    Air or cool?
    Air. Rode it again this afternoon and my initial impressions still hold true. I still have some tuning to do, but pretty psyched on it in general.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Man, every time I ride this bike I'm so stoked on it! There's honestly not a single thing I'd change on it. Not even carbon frame, so pleased with the alu version. Thanks TR!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How does the stock shock tune work for light rider (<140lbs)? Has anyone performed any custom tuning specifically for light weight riders?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl View Post
    How does the stock shock tune work for light rider (<140lbs)? Has anyone performed any custom tuning specifically for light weight riders?
    I'm quite a bit heavier at -215 geared up. To me the stock tune is more geared toward riders lighter than me as I found the compression and rebound damping a bit light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Alright, one more question. What is the measurement from center of BB to center of seat rails?
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Lol you haven't bought one already?

Ok, alloy scout full Bikeyoke insertion (all the way in frame) with the post fully extended is 670mm from BB to seat rails.

I'm running mine so full extension is about 690mm from BB to rails.

mtbr member
    HAHA I did buy one, but I bought a Fox Transfer at 150mm and it was waaaay too long.

my seat sits at 660.4mm pretty sure I can make it work..
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

New Used Scout

Scout Build Thread-20170806_201332.jpg

I bought a Scout used from somebody and I love it. I've ridden it twice now. Most of the first ride was spent adjusting everything to my liking. I put Shimano MX80 flats on and ESI chunky grips but everything else is the Scout 3 build. It's all SRAM at the moment which I'm not sure about. I prefer Shimano brakes which I will be switching out soon but I haven't decided on the drive train. The GX 1x11 shifts fine, can't complain, but I don't like the feel of the shifters. But the bike is awesome!
    If there's no mountain, it's just biking.

The White Jeff W
    New to me 2015 Scout XL

Manarch RT3 shock, Manitou Mattoc fork, KS Lev dropper, Stans Flow Mk3 rims on Hope hubs, 2.6 Nobby Nics, SLX brakes

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    New to me 2015 Scout XL

Manarch RT3 shock, Manitou Mattoc fork, KS Lev dropper, Stans Flow Mk3 rims on Hope hubs, 2.6 Nobby Nics, SLX brakes

2.6s??? How's the clearance on the rear??? You must get some occasional rub??

The White Jeff W
    They're fine. They actually measure under 2.5 on the Flow rims. Visually they dont look any bigger than 2.35. A littie disappointed, to be honest.

No moss...

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl View Post
    I'm 140lbs give or take depending on gear. Stock tune is not bad on the Debonair but I'm not using full travel. I did not bother to play with the volume but that may do it.

I'm replacing the Debonair with a Float X... I will let you know but it will take time before I get to any conclusions/impressions.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    This thread needs more pictures. Just built up this Scout frame yesterday.

Scout Build Thread-img_2050.jpg

mtbr member
    super sick build!
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Wow that looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Agreed! Unique and very nicely done!

App-a-LATCH-un
    Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2050.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	1152576
    Is that a dhf 3c in the rear?
    Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian View Post
    Is that a dhf 3c in the rear?
    Yes, a 2.5 DHF wide trail. Best tires around at the monent!

mtbr member
    Pretty happy with the Scout so far. It's a nice little change from riding a Patrol for 3 years. I wanted something a little more nimble and lively and this is definitely it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Scout Build Thread

Do you guys think that there is going to be an updated scout this year or just the new sentinel?
    Because a scout might be my next ride and they are on sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcycleman View Post
    Do you guys think that there is going to be an updated scout this year or just the new sentinel?
    There will probably be an all new bike that is similar to the Scout. My guess would be boost spacing and their new geo. With that said, I wouldn't hesitate on getting a Scout...this bike rips and has been my favorite bike so far.
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestxmike View Post
    There will probably be an all new bike that is similar to the Scout. My guess would be boost spacing and their new geo. With that said, I wouldn't hesitate on getting a Scout...this bike rips and has been my favorite bike so far.
    Yeah, I think I'll probably jump on a scout anyhow

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dcycleman View Post
    From what was leaked earlier on the web, the new 'Scout' has the new SBG geo update (longer, slacker, steeper SA, reduced fork offset) and maybe a travel increase? I love my current Scout though - it's a more nimble and playful bike than my Patrol. Grab one if they're on sale!

mtbr member
    Pretty happy with the Scout so far. It's a nice little change from riding a Patrol for 3 years. I wanted something a little more nimble and lively and this is definitely it.
    Anything you miss from the Patrol? I'm in the ever debated Scout vs Patrol dilemma. Coming off of another 6" travel bike in unsure if I want to"risk" it with the Scout or stick with what I know (long travel).

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you were ever going to go with the shorter travel bike, the scout would be number one on my list. If you build it up with solid parts the thing will slay

mtbr member
    I'd be swapping everything over from my Tracer. 150 or 160 Lyrik, Spank/Hope wheels, and then likely pick up a Topaz out back.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've got both and if I had to pick one I'd take the Scout again hands down. Blows me away how capable that bike is. If you're only doing Enduro races maybe go the Patrol, otherwise I really doubt you'll be disappointed in the Scout

mtbr member
    I've got both and if I had to pick one I'd take the Scout again hands down. Blows me away how capable that bike is. If you're only doing Enduro races maybe go the Patrol, otherwise I really doubt you'll be disappointed in the Scout
    Agreed on all counts.

mtbr member
    I just made the switch from Mach 6 to Scout...nothing missed, way more fun, and I've bettered my trail times significantly.
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Name:	IMG_2050.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	1152576
    holy shit, thats pretty cool. whats the shock & tyres you are running?

mtbr member
    I'd know that bike by those wheels anywhere.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Have a scout 3 alloy in black coming home tomorrow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrback View Post
    holy shit, thats pretty cool. whats the shock & tyres you are running?
    Cane Creek Inline Coil with a 400lbs Valt spring, and I run Maxxis 2.5 Wide Trail DHF MaxGrip tires front and rear. Lots of traction!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Been logging tons of hours on mine recently, trying to get in as much time as possible in the high country while I'm able. After a year it's still my favorite bike thus far. Just pulled off the shock to see how the bearings feel (half expecting to feel that notchy crunchiness) but they're smooth like butter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well folks here you have it:

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It looks sweet! I think if I were to build one I'd go for the new coil-sprung Ribbon, full XT, Hope brakes and wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've often thought that my current Scout would be quicker than my Patrol on some of the enduro trails around here. If anything the new version would be even more suitable. Pretty impressive stuff. Really like the new colour too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Anyone gone from a smuggler to scout or vice versa?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

For the past two weeks I've been running a 2degree slackerizer from Superstarcomponents. I like it and it also has a 5-10mm+ stack on the headset to help with pedal strikes

mtbr member
    I have opposite feelings. Here where I ride, there are plenty of rocks and roots. I choose Patrol, the rear is much better and feeling very smooth. The new Super Deluxe is so sensitive. Sorry

The White Jeff W
    Driveside chainstay I'm not original owner so I ordered a replacement. Transition is super fast responding.

Scout Build Thread-scout-cr.jpg
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Time to send this one out to pasture:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2258307/

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Time to send this one out to pasture:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2258307/
    What gives? I've thought about selling my Scout but I know I'll regret it! I am thinking my next move might be to a sentinel, but I'd like to clock a little time on one before I pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    wanting to try some new bikes. It's an annual thing and there a lot of new bikes that look pretty sweet, including the SBG stuffs.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    anybody in here have ridden both the scout and the santa 5010v2? how do they compare? had the 5010v2 its a very very nice and playfuŲ bike but L is a littlebit too small and XL was too long for my likings. the large scout is inbetween. finish and workmanship on my santa frames are flawless....how is transition? i also like the lifetime warranty from santa, why only 2 years from tranny?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I had a Scout the first year it came out and absolutely loved the bike. That year a buddy of mine took me to bike park and I was hooked on park riding. I sold the Scout to buy a Santa Cruz Nomad3. I regretted selling the Scout from day one. I ended up adding a V2 5010 because the Nomad was not as much fun on local/flatter/less technical riding. While I really liked the 5010 no matter how much I tinkered with the rear I could not find a happy medium between plushness and support.

The thing with that Scout was how easy it was to set up. Set sag like they recommend and it handles 95% of the riding. The reason I sold my Scout for a bike park rig was it handled a majority of the trails fine, but rapid continuous hits overwhelmed the rear.

If I had to choose between the Scout and 5010V2 I would pick the Scout. It was more of a hooligan bike than the 5010. Iím not the greatest rider out there and am not a hooligan, but the Scout just made me feel more confident in whatever I was trying. The 5010 is more of a precise bike, it rewards riders with more skill than I have. The Scout allowed me to try things I maybe didnít have enough skill to accomplish, but took care of my deficiencies rather well.

With the V2 Scout having SBG I gotta say Iím really thinking of selling my Nomad and buying another Scout. I think the new Scout will handle bike park duty better than the original, and still be a better pedal friendly trail bike.

I really love the lifetime warranty on the Nomad, but I rarely keep a bike longer than 3-4 years anyway.

BTW I sold the 5010V2 to pay some bills so the N3 is my do it all bike now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    N3 is a beast for a do-it-all bike! I think youíre right about the new scout being even more of a hooligan than the last. I think the bike deserves a 36 and a rezzy shock from the get-go. Iím starting to think about my next build for 2018 and the Sentinel is pretty tempting. Iíd like to try the new scout too but I donít really think it would make much sense to swap my current scout for a Ď18. Just too similar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    N3 is a beast for a do-it-all bike! I think youíre right about the new scout being even more of a hooligan than the last. I think the bike deserves a 36 and a rezzy shock from the get-go. Iím starting to think about my next build for 2018 and the Sentinel is pretty tempting. Iíd like to try the new scout too but I donít really think it would make much sense to swap my current scout for a Ď18. Just too similar.
    I thought about buying the frame and using my components on the new Scout but Iíll have to buy the correct fork to get the right offset. Going that route and I might as well buy the complete bike kit. $1999 for frame and figure $700-$900 for a fork and then some boost adapters for my wheels, new headset, spare parts, worn drivetrain , etc and I might as well get the complete bike for $3999!

Anyone want to buy a 2017 Santa Cruz Nomad CC XX1 large?

I really like the Scout with 150mm up front and 65 degree HA with a long reach and short stem. I am really curious how the bike rides.

My original Scout with 150mm fork was so playful! I canít imagine a bike that playful with better downhill capability!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Scout or Smuggler Coil, its for sale 450.00

Scout Build Thread-img_0009.jpgScout Build Thread-img_6689.jpgScout Build Thread-img_6690.jpgScout Build Thread-img_6691.jpgScout Build Thread-img_6692.jpgScout Build Thread-img_7431.jpgScout Build Thread-img_7574.jpg
    Transition Scout Carbon

mtbr member
    Scout Build Thread-scout1.jpg

Finally finished putting this one together...
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Name:	scout1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	262.2 KB 
ID:	1161134

Finally finished putting this one together...
    What stem is that? I am looking for something similar with a bit of rise.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny5jz View Post
    What stem is that? I am looking for something similar with a bit of rise.

Its an Ordnance Bikes prototype stem 35mm rise. Available real soon.
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Its an Ordnance Bikes prototype stem 35mm rise. Available real soon.
    I will keep an eye out for it. I like the bars I have, but I need a bit more rise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I will keep an eye out for it. I like the bars I have, but I need a bit more rise.

Hope has a 50mm stem with quite a bit of rise if you don't need the 35mm.

The White Jeff W
    Driveside chainstay I'm not original owner so I ordered a replacement. Transition is super fast responding.

Name:	scout cr.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	1159941
    Just to follow up...big thumbs up to Transition customer service. I made initial contact via email the evening of Wednesday 8/27. Warranty form was emailed to me within 20 minutes and the new chainstay was on my doorstep on the other side of the country in a week. The video and torque specs on the website made the installation a breeze. Nothing but good things to say about TBC for their CS and support of do it yourself-ers.

Couple side notes - lower pivot bearings were seized. I had a couple in the parts drawer (from a Hope hub) so i replaced them. I messed around with them later and was able to free them up after removing one of the seals and cleaning them with brake cleaner then a soak with PB Blaster then repacked with grease. They're rough but probably still usable.

The 2017 chainstay they sent looks to have a little less tire clearance that the 2015 it replaced. My (undersized) 2.6 Nobby Nics still clear but it looks tighter.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just to follow up...

The 2017 chainstay they sent looks to have a little less tire clearance that the 2015 it replaced. My (undersized) 2.6 Nobby Nics still clear but it looks tighter.
    I wonder if they added some material to the stays and thus reduced the cracking?

Also, in the end was the replacement on warranty or paid?
    Thanks!

The White Jeff W
    I paid for it since I wasn't original owner.

It occurred to me that the tire may have grown some since I first mounted it. I haven't measured since new. I'll have to get the calipers on it tomorrow.

No moss...

The White Jeff W
    This bike loves flowy, pumpy trails. Having a ball at Raystown in PA

No moss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    This bike loves flowy, pumpy trails. Having a ball at Raystown in PA

How do you like the mattoc on the scout?

The White Jeff W
    How do you like the mattoc on the scout?

Love it. Its the first full suspension bike Ive owned where I felt like the front & rear were matched in terms of feel & ride charactetistics.

No moss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Love it. Its the first full suspension bike Ive owned where I felt like the front & rear were matched in terms of feel & ride charactetistics.

I have a sektor gold on mine and am looking to upgrade. For the price it seems the mattoc is a great fork.

mtbr member
    I have a sektor gold on mine and am looking to upgrade. For the price it seems the mattoc is a great fork.

regardless of price the Mattoc is an excellent fork.
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    That's good to hear. I am hoping to get something soon. The Mattoc is at the top of my list.

mtbr member
    the other underrated fork is the SR Suntour Durolux. It rips as well and they have a new Demo to your Door option on their site I might try soon.
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Iím very tempted by the Ribbon coil. Looks the business.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011