Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,166

    Ride feel of Covert vs Bandit - Maybe Transition Bikes can chime in

    I'm looking at the new Bandit 29 and Covert 29 and don't know enough about Transition full suspension bikes. I also don't have anyway to demo these in my area as the LBS isn't a stocking dealer.

    How do the rear suspension design of the Bandit and Covert translate to how the bike rides? I know the geo is different on each I'm just curious how shock/pivot placement affects each bike.

    Hopefully Transition bikes can chime in on this one.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    786
    What sort of terrain are you riding? You after a pure AM or more towards General trail riding? Covert 29 is aimed at more aggressive AM than the Bandit. The Bandit is a super fun trail bike. Bandit is lighter, and less travel...things to think about when deciding.
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    I'm looking at the new Bandit 29 and Covert 29 and don't know enough about Transition full suspension bikes. I also don't have anyway to demo these in my area as the LBS isn't a stocking dealer.

    How do the rear suspension design of the Bandit and Covert translate to how the bike rides? I know the geo is different on each I'm just curious how shock/pivot placement affects each bike.

    Hopefully Transition bikes can chime in on this one.
    Hi!

    So... main pivot point is the same on each, so in terms of that part they would pedal the same.

    Starting with the obvious... the Covert is a stiffer frame, which you can definitely feel on the trail. The bike is just more planted feeling when cornering hard or charging through rough sections. The shock and frame weight in general is placed a little lower, so even though it is a little heavier I wouldn't immediately say that you can feel it when riding. Dragging around an extra half pound isn't too big of a deal when it is all added pretty low in the bike. That wouldn't be the same story if you were talking about a half pound of rotating weight.

    The Bandit has a very air spring specific leverage curve, while the Covert is setup to work well with air or coil shock. The Covert also handles big hits better, possibly at a slight expense of small bump sensativity. If you are super concerned with that you would be dialed on an RC4 with a Ti Spring (once you get the rate dialed in) for the zero stiction feel.

    Basically... the Bandit is setup as a good all around aggressive trail bike, but the Covert was designed to be pushed hard. The biggest difference all around is in confidence riding hard. We felt the 2012 Bandit 29 rode well but was somewhat limited... for 2013 we sharpened the handling on the Bandit for a crisper more agile feel and really let the Covert be the "no limit" bike.

    PS: In the early phase of the Bandit 29 testing we rode it at 120 front and rear extensively. We had both travel settings in the frame and we did not yet have access to the 140mm 29 forks. So we actually have just about as much time on that bike as a 120 F&R as we did in production form. If you look at the product video the XL bike that I (Sam) was riding actually had a 120mm Fox 32 fork.

  4. #4
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Hi!

    So... main pivot point is the same on each, so in terms of that part they would pedal the same.

    Starting with the obvious... the Covert is a stiffer frame, which you can definitely feel on the trail. The bike is just more planted feeling when cornering hard or charging through rough sections. The shock and frame weight in general is placed a little lower, so even though it is a little heavier I wouldn't immediately say that you can feel it when riding. Dragging around an extra half pound isn't too big of a deal when it is all added pretty low in the bike. That wouldn't be the same story if you were talking about a half pound of rotating weight.

    The Bandit has a very air spring specific leverage curve, while the Covert is setup to work well with air or coil shock. The Covert also handles big hits better, possibly at a slight expense of small bump sensativity. If you are super concerned with that you would be dialed on an RC4 with a Ti Spring (once you get the rate dialed in) for the zero stiction feel.

    Basically... the Bandit is setup as a good all around aggressive trail bike, but the Covert was designed to be pushed hard. The biggest difference all around is in confidence riding hard. We felt the 2012 Bandit 29 rode well but was somewhat limited... for 2013 we sharpened the handling on the Bandit for a crisper more agile feel and really let the Covert be the "no limit" bike.

    PS: In the early phase of the Bandit 29 testing we rode it at 120 front and rear extensively. We had both travel settings in the frame and we did not yet have access to the 140mm 29 forks. So we actually have just about as much time on that bike as a 120 F&R as we did in production form. If you look at the product video the XL bike that I (Sam) was riding actually had a 120mm Fox 32 fork.
    That is an excellent product comparison breakdown and very helpful in solidifying my decision to go with the Covert 29.

    Now...if you would be so kind...when is DNZ going to see these frames show up? (An XL white frame, perhaps).

  5. #5
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Hi!

    So... main pivot point is the same on each, so in terms of that part they would pedal the same.

    Starting with the obvious... the Covert is a stiffer frame, which you can definitely feel on the trail. The bike is just more planted feeling when cornering hard or charging through rough sections. The shock and frame weight in general is placed a little lower, so even though it is a little heavier I wouldn't immediately say that you can feel it when riding. Dragging around an extra half pound isn't too big of a deal when it is all added pretty low in the bike. That wouldn't be the same story if you were talking about a half pound of rotating weight.

    The Bandit has a very air spring specific leverage curve, while the Covert is setup to work well with air or coil shock. The Covert also handles big hits better, possibly at a slight expense of small bump sensativity. If you are super concerned with that you would be dialed on an RC4 with a Ti Spring (once you get the rate dialed in) for the zero stiction feel.

    Basically... the Bandit is setup as a good all around aggressive trail bike, but the Covert was designed to be pushed hard. The biggest difference all around is in confidence riding hard. We felt the 2012 Bandit 29 rode well but was somewhat limited... for 2013 we sharpened the handling on the Bandit for a crisper more agile feel and really let the Covert be the "no limit" bike.

    PS: In the early phase of the Bandit 29 testing we rode it at 120 front and rear extensively. We had both travel settings in the frame and we did not yet have access to the 140mm 29 forks. So we actually have just about as much time on that bike as a 120 F&R as we did in production form. If you look at the product video the XL bike that I (Sam) was riding actually had a 120mm Fox 32 fork.
    In the pics on your website it shows the CTD shock on the Covert 29 using a low volume air sleeve. How would the ride change with a high volume air sleeve? Would that make the ride more supple? Would it bottom out too easily?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    In the pics on your website it shows the CTD shock on the Covert 29 using a low volume air sleeve. How would the ride change with a high volume air sleeve? Would that make the ride more supple? Would it bottom out too easily?
    The new CTD shocks are all a skinny sleeve. The base knuckle at the top is available in standard or large volume version, plus there are internal volume spacers. The Covert 29 shock uses the larger volume knuckle with internal spacers. I would not reccomend changing the volume configuration. If anything, you could bump up a spacer size if you want a more progressive ride, I would definitely not go down in spacer sizes. The bike itself is pretty linear and well suited to boost valve shocks like the CTD and the DHX.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,166

    Bandit 29 with coil or different air shock

    Thanks Transition guys. Another question though. Could the Bandit 29 be setup with a coil shock or heavier duty air shock like a Monarch Plus?

  8. #8
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Thanks Transition guys. Another question though. Could the Bandit 29 be setup with a coil shock or heavier duty air shock like a Monarch Plus?
    My guess is that if you want a coil shock, just get the Covert 29. I think I remember something about the Bandit being designed for an air shock and the Covert design is friendly to both. However, I do like experimentation...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,166
    I know the Covert can handle it but that isn't the bike I that I want. I plan on running an air shock so this is more of a curiosity if the guys have tested the Bandit 29 with a coil or higher performance air shock like the Monarch RC3 Plus.

  10. #10
    on a routine expedition
    Reputation: Marshall Willanholly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    I know the Covert can handle it but that isn't the bike I that I want. I plan on running an air shock so this is more of a curiosity if the guys have tested the Bandit 29 with a coil or higher performance air shock like the Monarch RC3 Plus.
    I've been riding mine with a Push-tuned RC3 Plus. It's fantastic. I find the small bump sensitivity is better than the stock RP23 and it feels very planted over the rough stuff.


  11. #11
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    The new CTD shocks are all a skinny sleeve. The base knuckle at the top is available in standard or large volume version, plus there are internal volume spacers. The Covert 29 shock uses the larger volume knuckle with internal spacers. I would not reccomend changing the volume configuration. If anything, you could bump up a spacer size if you want a more progressive ride, I would definitely not go down in spacer sizes. The bike itself is pretty linear and well suited to boost valve shocks like the CTD and the DHX.
    That's good info. I want a long linear feel where the bike soaks up sharp impacts with minimal shock transferred to the rider. Then just a bit of ramp up at the end to prevent harsh bottoming. I don't need big drop cushion but rather the ability to soak up rough terrain smoothly. Is this how the stock configuration will run?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nickbm3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    309
    Transition Bikes - Could you post the standover #'s for the covert 29 sizes? Id prefer to throw a leg over one but like mentioned above, no one local stocks any. Thanks!
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,166
    Thanks Marshall. I took the plunge and should have a Monarch RC3 Plus and 2013 Bandit in route very soon. Can't wait to build this mutha!
    Last edited by trailbrain; 11-15-2012 at 02:27 PM.

  14. #14
    rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Thanks Transition guys. Another question though. Could the Bandit 29 be setup with a coil shock or heavier duty air shock like a Monarch Plus?
    I have a Pushed Monarch Plus RC3 on my 2012 Bandit Two9. It took a good while to break in, but is way plush now. Very nice. Sorry to say, but Push is not building or tuning the Monarch Plus anymore.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

  15. #15
    on a routine expedition
    Reputation: Marshall Willanholly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    I have a Pushed Monarch Plus RC3 on my 2012 Bandit Two9. It took a good while to break in, but is way plush now. Very nice. Sorry to say, but Push is not building or tuning the Monarch Plus anymore.
    True, but they will service the ones already out there, and mine may be for sale soon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •