mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Ride comparison - 2012 Bandit 29 to 2013 B29

I can't believe there isn't already a thread like this, but I couldn't find one...

Hey guys, i'm considering a Bandit29 for my next ride but am not sure about the 2012/2013. I can find either since i don't mind buying used (prefer it usually, in fact).

I live in Bend, Oregon and it's mostly pretty straight XC around here though it is rocky in places. When i'm sitting at the computer on MTBR i tend to think that i don't care much about efficiency and that i mostly want a FUN ride. That changes a little bit sometimes when i'm in the middle of a long climb though, lol!

I'm tempted by the 2012 B29 by all the outstanding ride reports, and i would probably enjoy that bike more when i travel to areas with gnarlier terrain. But i don't get to travel a ton, and the '13 with a presumably quicker/more-efficient ride might be a better match to where i spend the majority of my time.

Anybody ridden both and have thoughts to share? Transition bikes, maybe you guys can shed some light on things? I feel like the 130 travel will be overkill for around here and i'm assuming the new 120 bike is a quicker, more lively pedaler.

If i got a '12 model, i'd run a Fox 34 140, probably reduced to 130. If i got a '13 model i'd either reduce the same fork to 120 (is that possible?) or get an x-fusion 32 120.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Does Trinity have any demos perhaps?
    Time wounds all heels...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've been trying to get in touch with eric to ask but having a hard time. I should be able to stop in there tomorrow.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I got just got the 2012 Bandit brand new & have only gotten a few rides on it, it is totally awesome the nimbleness & climbing ability is great, I also have a sight killer b I have to admit the bandit beats it hands down. I am glad I went with the 2012 because of the geo & also saved a couple hundred $ over the 2013

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I bought a 2012 frame and it's almost built up. I feel a little dumb buying a bike i've never ridden, but i don't think i've heard anyone say they didn't like it. *fingers crossed*
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Got out for a couple of short rides now. 20 miles on the bike so far. Fears of it being wallowy or pigish on the climbs were totally unfounded. It just feels like a great all-around bike. It's no DH rig, far from it, nor is it a full-on XC racer. Feels like it's going to be a great general trail bike though.

I seem to have lucked out on the guess about this bike w/o a test ride, because so far i feel like it fits me perfectly. It can take me a while to know for sure, but so far so good!

I'm glad I got the 2012. I think the 2013 might not be enough of a change from a regular XC bike for what i wanted. Having ridden this, a Tallboy LT and a Yeti SB95, I personally don't think there's any reason for a 100mm 29er anymore. These 125mm+ bikes pedal great plus have more travel when you need it. Maybe if you're racing XC events you might want a 4" bike i guess, but if you ride FOR FUN, then the 4" bike is obsolete!
    Bend, OR