mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Revolution 32 rims, Any good?

Hey all, 1st post pretty much.

Currently deciding upon getting a new wheel set, for my new(ish) Transition Double.

Mavics because we all know there good, but to be honest.. blacks boring.
    Spank apparently are ding and dent magnets... and at 40mm wide rims
    ( there huuuggeee )

So the next colorful rim i found where the Revolutions, i'm guessing there Taiwainese catalogue jobbies? Maybe not, i'm not sure. But what are they like strength wise? do they dent and ding easily? How easily do they build?

Also, they come direct from the factory right? Anyone in the Uk ordered from TBC? Whats the service like? As i don't really want to spend a fortune and find it's rubbish.

And oh, last question. As they deal only in Dollars, is it American or Canadian dollars? As obviously i will be paying in Pounds sterling and want to see how the exhange rate is.

Thanks, Chris.

I ask because in the UK, no one really knows. I'm pretty harsh on my wheels as well...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a set of Revo 32's on my DH bike. they have been nothing but great for me. I did get a bad hop in my rear wheel but I was able to true it up and get that out. I think for the money you can't get much better. I have been very harsh on mine and not dented them yet. and I do use them for DH/FR. the rear is a 10mm QR which stiffens up the rear a LOT. I noticed right away going from my old wheel set "Gravity FR/DH" to the Revos. the service is fantastic, sometimes Mike Metzger even will answer the phone himself and do some customer service. the ship fast and are great to work with. They only deal in US dollars. I don't know what the exchange rate is but I am sure it will be easy enough to do.
    you are asking about building, does that mean you just want the hoops? or are you buying a full set. if you get a set then they will come built from the factory. if not then I am sure they would be just like any normal wheelset you would build. 32 holes, goes to the hub, laced in a 2 over pattern think.

Hope that helps! I love my set and would buy them again in a heartbeat. and most likely will.

cheers!

Dan

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'll have to try some them, cheers for the speedy response. If they deal in American dollars thats great news. I get a 319 dollar wheel set, pedals, pivot caps AND some decals for 406 dollars, + 105dollars Import/duty tax.

So 511 dollars = 309 pounds!!! Bargain!! ( for the wheelset - but i'll most likely get them rebuilt with Hopes Pro 2's after )

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    No worries man, glad to hear it is going to work out. The Hope pro2's will be sick.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Transition Revolutions

Hey

I've had a set of these for a couple of years. I have had them re-laced to Hope Pro II's - shaves some weight. Converted to tubeless with Stan's. They have been indestructible. Very nice in white.

mtbr member
    love mine as well. I have them on three bikes and am consistently amazed with how they hold up.
    Binary Transition Bikes Demon Dirt

mtbr member
    After two years of solid freeriding I finally had to replace my rear hoop. REwind two years ago. First ride on my new Revolution 32's I overshot the landing of a 6' drop, out to the flats was more like 10'. Derailleur hanger snapped, sucked the derailleur into the spokes, it was nasty. Rode away with nothing more than some broken parts and a barely perceptible flat spot in the rim. Took it in, they were able to true it up to within 90% of perfect, rode that way ever since... until I cased a huge stepdown going super fast. No, I repeat, NOOOOO wheel will survive a case like this, still rode away clean. The rim was seriously flatted, had a bit of a wobble but I rode away and kept riding until I could afford a new hoop.

These things are a bit heavy but highly bomb-proof.

There is a trick to really getting the best life out of these. If you buy them new, mount them on your bike, take a 10 minute ride around the block and IMMEDIATELY retension the spokes.

For the money, you can't beat these...

mtbr member
    i was looking at these last night for a new wheel set. The AM version 32 hole. Any idea who builds the hubs for transition? At $299 they seem like a steal. I have been pricing other rims and cant get what i want for under $380. Maybe I'll by the rim's and have them laced to what i want for hub's. Supporting a rider owned company is freaking priceless too. Are they made in the U.S.? Also read these are outlaws in revo decals, is that true?
    Ridin and the Bo-Sox, Gotta love spring!! Trade out or sell my '08 Trance 2 frame or whole bike (4.2 rear travel)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    These are not the same as azonic outlaws, they are similar, rev32 and Rev AM are different. rev 32 is dh/fr.

the AM wheels are about 1lb lighter than the rev 32's, the outlaws are similar weight to the rev 32's, but have 36 spokes. they are made in asia.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The rev 32s are sweet.Have been running them hard and they hold up.

nmb
    nuno borralho
    Jan 2008
    I'm thinking of getting a set of rev32 rims cause of the red color that I love. is it too stupid to use on my XC bike and 2.0+2.1 tire size combo?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    they are dh rims, not xc. rev32 rims are 630g's, most xc rims are about 400g's

nmb
    nuno borralho
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by joelsman
    they are dh rims, not xc. rev32 rims are 630g's, most xc rims are about 400g's
    yeah I know but I simply don't care on weight. My current cheap alexrims TD17 are heavy anyway at 567g

my question is: does it fit. am I going to get in trouble? besides weight, any other cons?

sympathy for society
    I got two sets of 32's and one set of 36's. I love them, beat them, and they still run true. Revs are the best "bang for the buck", IMO. Get them and I am sure you will like them.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."