mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Replace Bandit Chainstays

Is it possible to upgrade the first gen Bandits with 135 dropouts to the 142 version? I know it would require replacing the whole chainstay section but is it an option?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ???

mtbr member
    all you have to do is buy the diffrent dropout. unbolt the old one and bolt on the new one....
    I'm [SIZE="4"]GNARcissistic[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The first gen bandit does not have the replaceable dropouts, they are integrated in the chainstay, hence his question

mtbr member
    Ahhh, so I see.... Sorry for my imprudent response...

eci
    I'd call transition repeatedly until someone picks up

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by marti163 View Post
    Is it possible to upgrade the first gen Bandits with 135 dropouts to the 142 version? I know it would require replacing the whole chainstay section but is it an option?
    We don't sell just the chainstay or rear triangle, so unfortunately no. You would have to sell the frame and start over with a new frame to go 142mm...

Sorry!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    We don't sell just the chainstay or rear triangle, so unfortunately no. You would have to sell the frame and start over with a new frame to go 142mm...

Sorry!
    So even if I crashed and dented any part of the rear end I'd be out of luck and would have to replace the whole frame?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by marti163 View Post
    So even if I crashed and dented any part of the rear end I'd be out of luck and would have to replace the whole frame?
    ???

I love the frame but if this is true I may want to sell it while it's undamaged and buy something that I can replace parts of rather than the whole frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    As a potential Bandit 29 buyer, this would worry me a bit that replacement parts are not available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    As a potential Bandit 29 buyer, this would worry me a bit that replacement parts are not available.
    They're not talking about the Bandit 29, they're talking the first generation Bandit (26" wheels).

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post

Sorry!
    So if i wreck the rear end of my brand new bandit i'd need to buy a whole new bike via crash replacement?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude View Post
    They're not talking about the Bandit 29, they're talking the first generation Bandit (26" wheels).
    One could infer from the lack of replacement parts for one model, that it is a policy for all models. If the B29 has replacement parts thats great but still doesn't help the OP or anybody else with the 26" model in a damage situation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Wow there everybody! We always take care of people on warranty and crash replacement stuff.

We always attempt to replace damaged products with the exact same part. Currently, we do still have stock of 2011 Bandit 26 frames, so if you totalled yours you would get an exact replacement. If those sell out you would by default get upgraded to the newer stays.

We just don't stock and sell partial frames for regular aftermarket. As you can imagine that would get extremely complicated. A lot of times partial frames end up in warranty with or without scratch and dents, etc. But as you can imagine if we SOLD those parts off then the warranty person looking for that part would be pretty pissed.

Sorry! But if 142 is make or break for you, you would just have to buy a new frame. In the unlikely event that you did need a warranty, we will be here for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for addressing the questions transition. Less ideal for the OP still, but more ideal from a broken parts replacement situation.

Just an idea though, if this thread sparked this kind of question, maybe it would be worthwhile to have a few extra rear triangles made to offer for upgrade. New reveneu stream, customers have options and are happy, seems like win win.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would buy one for sure if made available. If not i will upgrade to a 142 frame next year i reckon.

mtbr member
    I hope that they don't make them available. Because then, I'd just tempted to upgrade my 135mm!