AOK
    mtbr member

Reach, stack, and ETT (Bandit 29 sizing... again)

So I am looking at a 2013 B29 frame. I am 6'0 with an inseam around 34.5", maybe even a little longer. (Pants inseam is 34", fwiw. )

I have always ridden size large from any brand. These days I am usually on an ETT around 24.5" with a 90mm stem. My riding is XC-ish, light trail. Lots of narrow flowing single track with many short ups and downs. Not a lot of drops or big rocks. I do like to hit the occasional jump.

I am looking at the B29 not so much as a monster trail hucking machine but as more of a full suspension version of my Yelli Screamy. I find that the "short and slack" geo works very well for my riding / trails and is a whole lot of fun.

Transition sizing guidelines would put me on a large B29. If I look at reach and stack measurements, this seems close to other recent frames I have had. The only big difference is ETT being around 1" shorter than I am used to.

I think that I could fit a L or XL. My main worry about the XL would be that the longer wheelbase would be too similar to my current FS. I am looking for something more "Yelli-like".

Given my size and riding style, what size would you recommend? No chance that I will be able to demo one. There are no Trans dealers anywhere near me.

AOK
    mtbr member

Reach, stack, and ETT (Bandit 29 sizing... again)

One more comment... Most of my rides are 2.5 hours or less. Occasionally I go for a much longer spin, but those are rare.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    At 6' you are spot on for a large. Steeper seat angle and (relatively) slacker head angle make for a bit shorter TT length. For a fun and playful bike at your size you would want a large. The XL will be a very big bike... rideable by a 6' person for sure... but lengthy and stable. Not playful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm very similar to you and went with a large 2012 bandit 29. I really like the short TT compared to longer bikes i've had in the past. Your experience may vary, it's subjective, but i like it and XL would be a mistake for me.

Running 80mm stem and 710mm wide bars. I have a 60mm stem to try to but haven't bothered because i'm happy with the fit as-is.

my dimensions:
    Inseam 33.5 in
    Trunk 24 in
    Forearm 13.75 in
    Arm 24 in
    Thigh 23.5 in
    Lower Leg 22 in
    Sternal Notch 59 in
    Total Body Height 72.5 in
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I ride a large Yelli with a 40mm stem and a large bandit 26 with a short 40mm stem as well. My inseam and height are similar to you. I felt like the Bandit came alive when I installed the stubby stem.