Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Preston FR Frame Cracks

Anyone else experiencing this on the top tube near where it meets the headtube?? I was seriously considering this bike till my friends cracked after just 4 months and he is a very skilled/finesse rider. Opinions??

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Frames crack, that is the nature of agressive ridding. transition stands behind their stuff and will take care of you. If you are really worried about it get a bottle rocket, from what i have heard only one has ever been warrentied and that was becuse some idiot over torqued and striped the chainstay seatstay bolt.

mtbr member
    I've heard of several cracking and have been wondering about this too. A guy at a bike shop told me Transition is revising the Preston frame with more gussets in the headtube/toptube area. Anyone know if this is true?
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

mtbr member
    Yeah its true someone had posted it before. I talked to my Transiton guy and there gonna add more gussets and I believe a 1.5 headtube and i think a few other changes.. I havent had any problem with my Preston and I am 240lb and ride hard, and its had a Pike on it to a 66 ATA and like I said knock on wood no cracks.. But its good to know they are so cool about it, thats why I love Transition and I will keep riding there bikes

Look at the time!
    well, mine did crack after about 6 months

The frame is not exactly light, so this did surprise me! However, if you look at the whole thing, that part is kind of a weak point in the frame design. The forces from the shock enter the downtube right in the middle and at a rather steep angle.

It was warrantied with no questions asked.
    I do a lot of jumping on it and will continue to do so, we'll see how it holds up.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Card Carrying Member
    I've been quiet on the interwebs about my frame breaking... in the same spot. Unfortunately my turnaround hasn't been exactly speedy (no fault of my dealer on his end). I really didn't have a whole lot of trail time on my frame and I was just getting used to it when I noticed the crack. A real drag, especially when faced with getting another frame of the same design as a replacement. I love the frame, but the replacement won't be lasting long with the same issue.
    Last edited by kitchenware; 12-09-2007 at 07:30 PM.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    great. ya'll are going to have me eyeballing mine much more now. just in case. and i'm a small guy who doesn't do super big stuff.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Look at the time!
    i have a feeling that if you don't bottom it out too much, you'll be fine.
    Maybe a shock with adjustable bottom out resistance would help, too. My Van R doesn't have that, so even though i run a rather stiff spring for my weight (500# for 160# rider), occasionally you hear a "clunk".

My replacement frame now has a piece of tire glued to the seattube as an additional ghetto bottom out bumper :P (the rocker did touch the seattube a few times on bottom out). Haven't been able to ride it yet, though.

Shikaka!
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel
    Maybe a shock with adjustable bottom out resistance would help, too. My Van R doesn't have that, so even though i run a rather stiff spring for my weight (500# for 160# rider), occasionally you hear a "clunk".

My replacement frame now has a piece of tire glued to the seattube as an additional ghetto bottom out bumper :P (the rocker did touch the seattube a few times on bottom out). Haven't been able to ride it yet, though.
    lol, this kinda reveals the reason why you cracked yours...and I'd guess that this is also why transition don't offer the frame with less than the DHX5 (hence the bottom-resistance acting as frame protector).
    Last edited by ace_ventura; 12-13-2007 at 03:41 PM.

Look at the time!
    yeah, but it's not like i'm hitting rock bottom on every jump, more like maybe one bottom out per day, so nothing unusual there - can't avoid that when jumping..

You are probably right about the DHX 5, i was thinking the same thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ace_ventura
    lol, this kinda reveals the reason why you cracked yours...and I'd guess that this is also why transition don't offer the frame with less than the DHX5 (hence the bottom-resistance -frame protection).

Yup , good point never looked at it like that...

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Yeah, I don't worry too much about it. My prefered shock is the Swinger 4-Way Air, and with how I run it, hard bottom out rarely occurs. 110psi in the main, and 60psi in the spv chamber; just enough to give me a little platform and bottom out control with the volume reduced on the chamber a bit.

Seems like it's just a tad longer than other rear shocks that also supposedly have the same i2i length. Methinks that helps as well. Like it much better than the RS Pearl I tried on there; at least it's around as a back up shock in case/when the 4-Way Air dies.

(if someone wants to throw a dhx air my way for me to try, i'll take it...) Not really worried about getting a "nicer" shock on the back end, since I still ride the Peyto hardtail about twice as much as the Preston.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    Unfortunately my turnaround hasn't been exactly speedy
    Just because it's snowy in Colorado doesn't mean I'm not riding and wanting to be out riding on my Preston...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    ...the replacement won't be lasting long with the same issue.

Thats' exactly why I 'm holding out as long as possible with my frame....let's say till umm... uhh....late February!

So now I need to keep it grounded ('cept for small stuff ), crank up the bottom out resistance, monitor the crack ( in it's infantile stage) and hope it lasts a few more months.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by romar
    Thats' exactly why I 'm holding out as long as possible with my frame....let's say till umm... uhh....late February!

So now I need to keep it grounded ('cept for small stuff ), crank up the bottom out resistance, monitor the crack ( in it's infantile stage) and hope it lasts a few more months.

I'm not going to change what or where I'm riding on mine... If I did any less I'd be rocking the paved path in town. I could have totally made mine last longer, but I'm not going to risk having something fail at high speeds down a rock garden. I'm pretty sure I found the crack right after it happened cause I was looking there after every ride. That and I had an unexplainable creaking that seemed to be coming from the frame itself.

The only thing the frame thats coming has going for it is the fact that it's winter and I ride a little less.

banned
    IMO, the singular shock tab pair as seen above is sub-par on heavy duty frames. On lightweight XC, they might be ok, but depending on the angle of the forces they see, they tend not to be incredibly reliable for heavy duty usage. There are notable exceptions, however, but I'm more in favor of the kind on Titus bikes, where the tabs are part of a plate that is formed to the tube it is welded to, then the weld goes all the way around this plate.

Fortunately, Transition is a good company, so I think many will be treated well. They seem to know how to treat customers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    yeah, but it's not like i'm hitting rock bottom on every jump, more like maybe one bottom out per day, so nothing unusual there - can't avoid that when jumping..

You are probably right about the DHX 5, i was thinking the same thing.
    Sorry but I hit drops constantly and you should definitely not be bottoming out once a day. I might bottom out twice a season...including both my DH and trail bike. And that's with 10' to tranny, casing 15' doubles, etc.

Look at the time!
    then your suspension is set up too stiff, or you have a shock that ramps up like crazy. The preston only has 5" of travel, and i prefer to use at least most of that when riding, which also means that it will bottom out once in a while.

I'm 160# and I'm running a 500# spring, which gives me only about 20-25% sag. If the spring was any stiffer, I could just as well go back to a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    then your suspension is set up too stiff, or you have a shock that ramps up like crazy. The preston only has 5" of travel, and i prefer to use at least most of that when riding, which also means that it will bottom out once in a while.

I'm 160# and I'm running a 500# spring, which gives me only about 20-25% sag. If the spring was any stiffer, I could just as well go back to a hardtail.
    Hmm I weigh about the same. Weird. My 5" bike is a Prophet MX and it's got a RS Pearl, so obviously that ramps up quick with the progressive nature of an air shock. It is a bit firmer than I'd like at times, although the sag is right at 20-25% as well...might drop some psi to play around with it.

But my Demo 7 is massively plush w/ a DHX 5 and I have yet to bottom that one. I haven't checked the spring weight on it, whatever is stock with the frame only.

I've just never heard of someone bottoming out that much, other than on the interwebbs.

Look at the time!
    the preston seems to have a fairly linear linkage, and mine came with a Van R that doesn't have bottom out resistance.
    I think your demo is progressive to start with, and then you have a DHX 5 with adjustable ramp up on it, (plus it has 2 additional inches of travel!) so it must be almost impossible to bottom that thing out.

as mentioned above, this might be why they stopped selling the preston with the van R.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Word, that makes sense...

sixsixtysix
    the preston seems to have a fairly linear linkage, and mine came with a Van R that doesn't have bottom out resistance.
    I think your demo is progressive to start with, and then you have a DHX 5 with adjustable ramp up on it, (plus it has 2 additional inches of travel!) so it must be almost impossible to bottom that thing out.

as mentioned above, this might be why they stopped selling the preston with the van R.
    I bottom my 06 Preston with a Roco Air once a ride or so, depending if I am mashing on it or not. I have seen several 07 Prestons crack personally, and not just at the shock mounts. I think its a problem with their heat treating on a batch of the frames and not really what shock you are running.

Keep an eye on shock mounts, the BB junction and the top tube just behind the gussets.

Pivotal figure

Keep an eye on shock mounts, the BB junction and the top tube just behind the gussets

Check, check and check: all cracked on mine, sent back for replacement.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Shikaka!
    Good thing we got TBC backing up customers properly.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ace_ventura
    Good thing we got TBC backing up customers properly.

I'm sure it will be taken care of, but I hope that it doesn't take a MONTH for the warranty turnaround the next time it cracks. Cause that's where I'm at now... Just shy of a month and it's still not here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast