Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    382

    Plus tyres in Scout/Patrol?

    Who done it?

    What's the widest plus/non plus tyre you've fitted?

    In rear tri I mean. I know a 2.8 will fit in the Pike.
    Last edited by tungsten; 06-19-2016 at 11:44 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: motomike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    170
    I run 2.5 DHF 'wide trail' tires on my Patrol and they fit great.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    382
    Thanks, how much room left over?
    Last edited by tungsten; 06-20-2016 at 12:47 PM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: martinizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    380
    Bump. Also interested in finding out if a 2.8 plus will fit in the rear end of the Patrol.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    I run 2.5 DHF 'wide trail' tires on my Patrol and they fit great.
    Any chance you have a pic of that setup? I'm thinking about it for my scout with some 29mm internal rims. Undecided if it'll be too much or not.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    159
    With a Maxxis Minion DHR2 WT (2.4 width) there's clearance on the Patrol, but not a lot of extra room. My Aluminum 2015 Patrol has lost a fair bit of paint in that area. I'm using a 35mm (inside measure) rim with the DHR2 WT in the back. great tire. enough clearance.

    I'm not saying' the 2.8" tire won't fit (don't know), but I would expect mud and rocks to nick up the paint or other finish on the bridge if you're using something big.

    It's not a plus bike, but has plenty of clearance for big tires in the "Non-Plus" range.

    Not sure that helps, but it might.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: martinizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    380
    Thanks Uber!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    181
    Was at Highland MTB Park this weekend and my buddy rented a Patrol there (which he loved) and out of curiosity I through my rear wheel onto it in the parking lot. I'm running a Maxxis Rekon on a Easton Heist 30 that measures out to 66-67mm (~2.6") at 21psi and while it technically fit it was really close on all sides especially on the seat stays. No room for mud or kicked up stones.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyandhisBike View Post
    I'm running a Maxxis Rekon on a Easton Heist 30 that measures out to 66-67mm (~2.6") at 21psi and while it technically fit it was really close on all sides especially on the seat stays.
    To be clear, this was a 2.8 Rekon you stuck in there?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    181
    That's correct.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    382
    Ok thanks. Scout c/s is 5mm shorter so there's a reasonable chance these 2.6's might fit.

    Plus tyres in Scout/Patrol?-maxxis-27.5-x-2.6-rekon-forekaster-tiresfrostbike-2017-120-600x400.jpg

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    89
    I have a rocket ron 2.6 fitted to 30i rim on the back of my scout, it still has enough clearance for preventing tire rubbing on the stays, but i think that's as big as i can go on the scout.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    41
    2.8 Rekon in the rear with plenty of clearance. Way more than my Tracer had with 2.4 Ardent.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    89
    Pics or we won't believe you

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    41
    Yes, one photo is sideways, but you get the drift. 2.8 front and rear mounted on Ibis 714 wheel set. 41mm wide outside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plus tyres in Scout/Patrol?-image.jpg  

    Plus tyres in Scout/Patrol?-image.jpg  

    Plus tyres in Scout/Patrol?-image.jpg  


  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by payze View Post
    I have a rocket ron 2.6 fitted to 30i rim on the back of my scout, it still has enough clearance for preventing tire rubbing on the stays, but i think that's as big as i can go on the scout.
    Carbon or alloy frame?
    Mine is alloy and there's no way a 2.8 would fit as rorhound has done above.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    89
    Alloy frame, that's a really close fit rorhound!

    Envoyé de mon XT1092 en utilisant Tapatalk

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    41
    It's not as close as the pictures seem to make it look. There's plenty of clearance. My first real ride will be tomorrow. If it rubs I'll let you know.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by payze
    Alloy frame
    Just a thought, what's the b/b height of your rig running those tyres?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten View Post
    Just a thought, what's the b/b height of your rig running those tyres?
    It's 33,5cm with a 150mm fork.
    These tires are not big, just wider


    Envoyé de mon XT1092 en utilisant Tapatalk

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by payze View Post
    It's 33,5cm with a 150mm fork.
    These tires are not big, just wider
    [/IMG]

    Envoyé de mon XT1092 en utilisant Tapatalk
    335 is that all, eh? Was hoping the RR 2.6 would be taller.
    I swapped out my fork making it a 150mm and then ran HD 2.35 'cause they were taller than the NN and got a bb height of 330 leaving about 7mm clearance right there by the yoke where your RR is closest.
    So, I was hoping the RR 2.6 would be near to 7mm or whatever larger across it's entire profile (if that makes sense) boosting the bb height.
    I thought this because with the thread pattern the RR looked like it would be constructed more like a HD than a NN.
    Almost bought one of those on-line just to try now I'm glad I didn't.
    Maybe they'll come out with a 2.6 HD. lol....and thanks for posting those.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    41
    First ride today. No frame rubbing. Climbs great and handles great.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten View Post
    335 is that all, eh? Was hoping the RR 2.6 would be taller.
    I swapped out my fork making it a 150mm and then ran HD 2.35 'cause they were taller than the NN and got a bb height of 330 leaving about 7mm clearance right there by the yoke where your RR is closest.
    So, I was hoping the RR 2.6 would be near to 7mm or whatever larger across it's entire profile (if that makes sense) boosting the bb height.
    I thought this because with the thread pattern the RR looked like it would be constructed more like a HD than a NN.
    Almost bought one of those on-line just to try now I'm glad I didn't.
    Maybe they'll come out with a 2.6 HD. lol....and thanks for posting those.
    Yes i was disapointed too' i hoped the 2,6 was a tiny 2,8 in terms of air volume. But anyway it climbs better than my previous rocket razor and can go a bit lower on the pressure.
    It's not all that bad and fits great on the scout


    Envoyé de mon SGP512 en utilisant Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Scout, Patrol ect... Cable Noise Fix!!!!
    By crazbiker4 in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-31-2017, 03:41 AM
  2. Bearing lifespan - scout, patrol
    By darrenspink in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-25-2015, 07:15 AM
  3. Carbon Patrol and Scout???
    By Travis Bickle in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 10-24-2015, 08:43 AM
  4. Scout for a Patrol trade
    By bkies in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2015, 02:41 PM
  5. Bandit to scout or patrol
    By Kirky72 in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2015, 11:46 AM

Members who have read this thread: 90

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •