I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007

Play in Covert Frame

I just purchased a Black Large Covert frame about 2 weeks ago, recieved it a week ago, and am just starting to build it up. I built the rear wheel and installed it on the frame when I noticed some vertical play in the suspension. I tracked it down to the upper/forward shock mount. It is a fair amount of play, roughly a 1-2mm. Is this something that is normal on these frames? I checked all the pivot bolts and they are tight, including the one where there is play. I haven't taken anything apart yet, all I have done is install the rear wheel and let some air out of the shock so I could see how the suspension cycles. Any help you can offer is appreciated.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Had the same problem. The bolt was bottoming out in the sleeve before getting everything snug. Ended up using a bench grinder to take some material off the end of the sleeve and that took care of the problem.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There should not be any play. Verify all bolts are torqued to spec. Specs are on the Transition site. You may also want to check the bushings on the shock.

I had a hard to track down squeak. I replaced all the frame bearings and it resolved the problem. Tracked it down to a rusted front chainstay bearing. The bike is quiet and smooth now.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gratefulbiker View Post
    Had the same problem. The bolt was bottoming out in the sleeve before getting everything snug. Ended up using a bench grinder to take some material off the end of the sleeve and that took care of the problem.
    This is what my vendor told me, I don't think it'll work in my case but its easy enough so I'll give it a shot and see what happens

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just finished building up my covert and had the same issue. Take off about 1/8th" of the sleeve with a grinding wheel and tighten it up! Go out and rip....repeat.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    That fixed it, now I just have to figure out why my 68/73mm hammerscmidt BB came with an 83mm spindle

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    six or so rides in on my 2012 covert and the play has shown up in the back end. Part way through the last ride a horrible knocking sound appeared. Seems to be the same issue as mentioned here. I'll give the sleeve a grind in the morning and see what comes of it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So the forward shock mount sleeve got shortened to 30.25mm and the knocking has disappeared. Even at 30.6mm there was still play in the system. I'm glad this was such an easy fix.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    you got a full squish J? wow
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    yup, my body's had it's fill of the hardtail lifestyle. In the long run a new bike is cheaper than an opiates dependancy.

So far the Covert has been a great time. Spent today at the Rubberhead and I'm missing the Chromag a little bit less.

mtbr member
    I just now finished building a new 2011 covert and am having the same issue. I have tracked it to the forward shock mount, but I cant get the sleeve out to investigate it. does anyone have any suggestions? The bolt comes out fine, but the sleeve wont budge. Thanks guys

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Loosen the bolt a little bit and then tap the bolt to push the sleeve out.

mtbr member
    Thank you so much!

I got it out and shaved about 1mm off the sleeve. No more slop Taking it on the first ride this afternoon.