mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Patrol shocks: monarch plus vs super deluxe

my 2016 alloy patrol has the monarch + of course. i'm curious if anyone here has any time on both the new metric plus shock on the patrol and has ridden the previous monarch shocks. if you have and have any subjective feel for the differences, do tell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    the tune is different and the leverage ratio has changed on he 2017 bikes. from what I've read the new shock/rocker is much better than the previous version. I don't think they got the tune right on the 15/16 bikes. I've swaped to a DB coil IL and the difference is night and day.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by POAH View Post
    the tune is different and the leverage ratio has changed on he 2017 bikes. from what I've read the new shock/rocker is much better than the previous version. I don't think they got the tune right on the 15/16 bikes. I've swaped to a DB coil IL and the difference is night and day.
    Where have you bought the coil IL? can't find it anywhere...
    edit: found a source (mountainbikes.net)

cnut
    Quote Originally Posted by aenduro View Post
    DBcoil IL - TF Tuned

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    edit: found a source (mountainbikes.net)

TFtuned in the UK, you can buy from CC website in the US

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This back to back review on a patrol would have you believe the super deluxe is a significant improvement... RockShox's New Super Deluxe Shock - First Ride - Pinkbike

Personally i'm struggling a little with it. coming from a 140mm Troy with Monarch, I expected big things from 155mm Patrol with Super Deluxe, Still trying to settle on a setup for it.
    Record your bike setup on your iPhone http://www.bike-setup.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rsfsr View Post
    This back to back review on a patrol would have you believe the super deluxe is a significant improvement... RockShox's New Super Deluxe Shock - First Ride - Pinkbike

Personally i'm struggling a little with it. coming from a 140mm Troy with Monarch, I expected big things from 155mm Patrol with Super Deluxe, Still trying to settle on a setup for it.
    what exactly is your problem with the deluxe? The deluxe shall be an improvement over the debonair, but not really different to setup (since there's also only pressure, rebound and volume bands).

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    what exactly is your problem with the deluxe? The deluxe shall be an improvement over the debonair, but not really different to setup (since there's also only pressure, rebound and volume bands).
    No real problem with the shock, it functions fine I guess, just not a night and day difference like I was expecting, I went for the 2017 Patrol pretty much on the basis of that review I posted. I think its more the bike and Transitions recommendation to run 35% sag that is bothering me, I ran it at that and never liked it, so I keep playing with values below that, still looking for the sweet spot. based on a lot of peoples comments of the previous models, I may just spring for a metric coil if/when they become available.
    Record your bike setup on your iPhone http://www.bike-setup.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ccdb coils should be available in metric soon

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    They recommend 35%, but a lot of people run less. I'm probably in the 29-31% range with my metric carbon Patrol. Due to the increased sensitivity of the shock you can easily run less sag.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rsfsr View Post
    No real problem with the shock, it functions fine I guess, just not a night and day difference like I was expecting, I went for the 2017 Patrol pretty much on the basis of that review I posted. I think its more the bike and Transitions recommendation to run 35% sag that is bothering me, I ran it at that and never liked it, so I keep playing with values below that, still looking for the sweet spot. based on a lot of peoples comments of the previous models, I may just spring for a metric coil if/when they become available.
    I never like my patrol at 35% - the rear end wallowed mid-stoke. Plus my cranks were hitting everything been so low.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I run my coil at 35% on my suppressor and its soooo much better than the monarch at the same sag

mtbr member

Used full travel?

I took my Patrol for its first ride yesterday and was running 35% sag on the metric shock.

I hit the biggest features on my trails and used full (or close to full travel).

Check the pic, do you think I bottomed out or just came close to it?

EDIT:- Acutally, I can answer this myself, just went and measured the amount of travel used with the calipers and I used 60mm... It has 65mm of stroke so I think I'm on a winner straight up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Patrol shocks: monarch plus vs super deluxe-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've got a question somewhere related to the topic debate since I got a good offer for a Patrol that I can't decide.

I have an option for a 2017 Aluminum one with Super Deluxe and a 2016 Carbon slightly more expensive with Monarch. It's the same build, only the frame is the difference.

I'm leaning for the lighter one but maybe you can help me swing towards the better choice.
    "16 Cotic Bfe

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    exactly the same? same wheelset?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yes. Basically it's the same bike but the seller gave me the option to choose between them. Only that I've found out today that he's asking 850 euros / 1000$ more for the carbon. Since it's a previous year model I hoped for a better offer.
    "16 Cotic Bfe

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    If i just got a new frame with the deluxe, id try it.but if I' d upgrade then it will be a topaz. THe damping is top notch, many people coming from a ccdba prefer the topaz,it is easy to Service bleed and shim and spare parts are available as RS and inexpensive.