mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Patrol sag recommendation

New 2017 Patrol owner here. I'm struggling a bit with the amount of bob I get in the rear suspension at the recommended 35% or even at 33%.

This is my first non-VPP bike, so I'm not really sure what to compare it to, but it's a lot even by other Horst link bike standards that I've ridden or observed. I'm sitting right at the 35% marker, have added a bit more air, and it still bobs noticeably. The folks I was riding with today even commented on how much I was bobbing, especially climbing out of the saddle.

Any suggestions? I'm not used to bikes that require use of the compression selection lever (I leave my VPP bikes open 99% of the time), is that just how folks ride their Patrols or is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Seems a bit odd. I run mine with the recommended sag and find it pedals quite well actually. Maybe there is something wrong with the shock?

I didn't mess around with anything on mine. Just set the air pressure, set to open and rode it.

I try to climb seated most of the time though and spin smoothly. These kinds of bikes are not designed to be peddled up hill out of the saddle a lot. I mean sure you can, but yeah you'll notice the bobbing.

If I feel like attacking climbs like that I'll ride my rigid SS or my 100mm dually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i can't speak to anything VPP, but a long travel enduro bike is going to bob, a lot, when standing and mashing uphill. the Patrol is an awesome bike and a pretty good pedaler, but it ain't anything like an xc bike. sit and spin and most definitely, use the levers on the shock. i'm in firm mode (there is NO LOCK mode) on every road climb, in trail mode half the time on any tech trail climb and traverse and open the rest of the time. hate to say it mate, but if you bought this bike thinking you wouldn't flipping switches for different trail conditions, you bought the wrong bike and wrong kinda bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    i can't speak to anything VPP, but a long travel enduro bike is going to bob, a lot, when standing and mashing uphill. the Patrol is an awesome bike and a pretty good pedaler, but it ain't anything like an xc bike. sit and spin and most definitely, use the levers on the shock. i'm in firm mode (there is NO LOCK mode) on every road climb, in trail mode half the time on any tech trail climb and traverse and open the rest of the time. hate to say it mate, but if you bought this bike thinking you wouldn't flipping switches for different trail conditions, you bought the wrong bike and wrong kinda bike.
    Thanks for the honest feedback.

My coach rides one too and he more or less told me to smooth out my pedal strokes. My second ride on the Patrol, I did just that and it stopped the bobbing. The guys I was riding with were kindof surprised at how I went from moving up and down the whole time to barely moving at all. I think it just requires more technique than my 5010, which I run at 25% sag and can stand and mash on efficiently without worrying about it. It seems to punish me a bit more for pedaling wrong, but I can tell when it's happening and get myself sorted and it stops.

Using the firm setting on the shock helped a lot too on the smoother climbs. It seems to crawl over roots and such fine in that setting even without too much trouble.

It's not a problem, though, most of my climbs are up fire roads (WNC) and I'm not trying to rip up them. I just wanted to get some input from others on how they managed it. The bike performs awesome, although it is an adjustment from my other bike (5010v2), I think they compliment each other well depending on what I'm going to ride.