mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Patrol Riders, What's your height/frame size?

I'm pretty certain I'll be buying a Patrol soon, I'm 5'10" so right in the middle of the size guide, rode a M and L around the block, and the M is feeling most comfortable, the L felt a bit too stretched out.

Whats your height and fame size, and are you happy with it?

Coming from a Devinci Troy, which is a short M, if anyones made a similar switch interested to hear comparisons.
    Record your bike setup on your iPhone http://www.bike-setup.com

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2". I thought I'd be ok on a large. I should have gotten an xl.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm 6'3" and I rented a large for a week, for sure need XL.
    2015 Specialized Stumpjumper 29er HT
    2015 Mongoose Vinson fat bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    6'0. Very comfortably sized on the L with a 50mm stem. I normally end up needing XL's in other bike brands (Specialized Enduro, Banshee Rune, Devinci Wilson). I've sold multiple size L trail bike frames because they were too small once I started running shorter stems. This one is bang-on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am 6'3" and on my second season on an XL Patrol. It fits nicely.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GH28 View Post
    6'0. Very comfortably sized on the L with a 50mm stem. I normally end up needing XL's in other bike brands (Specialized Enduro, Banshee Rune, Devinci Wilson). I've sold multiple size L trail bike frames because they were too small once I started running shorter stems. This one is bang-on.
    Thanks for the replys, seem like i'm the only small guy! The post above sums up what I'm thinking, other brands have been sizing small for so long that people were sizing up, but you do that on a Transition and its probably too big, The more I thought about this over the weekend the more a M seems like the better fit at 5'10". Time to get my order in for a 2017! Have also been reading the early impressions of the super deluxe shock, luckily tested on a Patrol, seems likes its worth waiting for.

mtbr member
    I'm just over 5 10'. (32 inseam/reach) and large with a short stem was a perfect fit. My wife is just under and she also thought the large fit well.

This is based on 3 demos this summer.. Patrol Al, Patrol Carbon, and Smuggler which has similar sizing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jtravnh; 08-02-2016 at 12:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    5'9" - Large.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am 5'9 with a 31.75 inseam and 6'1 wingspan tip to tip(but I do have broder shoulders) Transition said large for me. How ever the patrol Numbers don't add up that reach is bigger than any other Large bike I have sat on up here in MN which scares me as I have sat on a SC nomad , SC Bronson, and SC hightower and the large bikes have less reach and slightly longer top tubes. And they all felt slightly big But than I tried a medium Bronson and that felt small. I have been trying to get a feel for sizing before I bought one since there are no dealers in the state. Transition said Large frame small stem for my build

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    As a follow up to my original post. Very happy with Large - rode the medium extensively as well (4-5 hours). I am coming from a Large Devinci Spartan with a 35mm stem and a 800mm handlebar. The Patrol got the same bar and stem. The cockpit feels very similar when seated, but when standing there is a bit more room on the Patrol.

I think I would be happy with either size depending on the intended use. In my mind the major difference is how the bikes feels when pedaling seated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    OK thanks cjm5199 for the clarification im sure slot of people are in between with this bike geometry one way or another.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    5"10 here with a 50mm stem and its still a bit tight.. But in a good way...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    was that with a large?
    Last edited by fcamaro24; 08-04-2016 at 07:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yea large sorry...

mtbr member
    Im 1,77 cm and running L size with 30mm stem, and I'm pretty happy with it, feels good on climbing and nice and roomy when pointed down to the hill

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    seems all the 5'10"ers are going large, It felt too long to me, like I wasn't able to move the bike around so easily, but I'll see how it goes, My Medium 2017 Patrol 3 should be arriving early next week, 2cm more reach and 4cm more wheelbase than my Medium Troy so i'll have more room than I do right now at least.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm 5'10 and rode a medium at a bike park. Felt maybe a little short for that (not bad though compared to my current bike with a 413mm reach) , but might have been more at home on singletrack.

I'm curious to try the large though.

App-a-LATCH-un

Patrol Riders, What's your height/frame size?

I have a Scout. I understand they are similarly sized. I am 5'10 on a large with 35mm stem and 740 bars. Feels great to me. Possible the best fitting bike I have owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Appalachian; 08-07-2016 at 07:04 AM.
    Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    well I ended up buying a medium went with the dealers word over transitions haha being 5'9ish and long arms and test riding a 2016 santa cruz nomad with very similar numbers that bike felt really big.( and the reach and wheelbase is bigger on the patrol) I figued for xc ill use a longer stem if needed. I only want one mountain bike so id rather a more playful size lets hope i didnt make a big mistake
    Last edited by fcamaro24; 08-25-2016 at 06:58 AM.

mtbr member
    5'11 on a large with 45mm stem. Id size up.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2013
    6'0695... on a large with 50mm stem, 780mm bars - feels good up and down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Medium was the right choice for me, first ride was sweet!

Patrol Riders, What's your height/frame size?-photo-aug-19-7-46-50-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Bike looks bad ass, What biuld spec is that. rsfsr sent you a pm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fcamaro24 View Post
    Bike looks bad ass, What biuld spec is that. rsfsr sent you a pm.
    Patrol 3, just swapped my wheels over (with XT cassette which works fine with GX) and still need to swap my carbon bars.

One thing re. the size, first ride was DH only so the post was dropped, yesterday climbing, the 125 dropper is about 1cm too short when at the seatpost limit, going to have to look into a 150 or 170. Reach wise the bike is perfect, not sure why transition put such a short seat tube on this thing or didn't spec a longer post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm having a hard time deciding on what size to get. For reference, I'm in between 5'10" and 5'11". Just a little background, my current bike is an XL Trek 6000 hardtail that I got as a hand me down a couple of years ago. It is definitely too big for me, but I used it mostly to ride XC type trails where I didn't need something incredibly nimble.

I recently moved to a state where there is a lot of good downhill riding, as well as good climbing. After test riding a Patrol and a Scout, I decided to get a Patrol. I rode a large with a short stem, which felt decent, but I think my current bike has made me overly cautious about getting a bike that's too big. The Scout I rode was a medium, and it felt pretty good. The only thing stopping me from getting a medium is the fact that I had some strange soreness after riding the medium that felt like it might have been because I was a little cramped while climbing.

It seems like everyone here that is around my height went with a large, but I also know that bike fit is different due to different body dimensions and different preferences. I'm really stressing about picking the right size when I'm about to drop a couple of grand on a bike, but I can't seem to commit to either size.

Does anyone have any advice for me? What are some telltale signs that a bike is either too big or too small? I'm leaning towards a medium with a slightly longer stem, but I don't want to get sore and feel like crap after a long ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thinking I should have gone with a large or a different brand, as you can see I look pretty small on the medium even with the seat at max distance , and I am only 5'8.5" I do have long arms and longerish legs compared to most my height. I really wish I saw some people sitting on the bike before I bought it tho. So I figured this would help some people.

this is a 2016 transition patrol 4.

Before I say anything negative I wanna say The Bike looks great in person and for the price it has a decent build spec

This patrol is a lot harder to throw the 27.5 wheels around even just off curbs compared to my 26" claymore and the bike def feels heavier than my 180mm bike as well and that was around 32lbs ish. Also I noticed this bike pulls up super easy when riding up on a street hill, also that my heels hit the rear lower triangle bars on both sides which is annoying and weird especially that I only wear a 10.5 could have to do with the cheapy pedals I put on there from MY giant hybrid but it has never happened on that bike.

Kinda afraid to ride and fully test the bike as I dont want to put a scratch on the frame or the bike, I can almost guarantee that I will either get a large frame or find a med giant reign frame and sell this. To expensive to have to put a long stem and have seat as far back as it goes and still feel small on it, while the wheel base is long the chainstays are short and the same length on every size model and the eff. top tube is shorter probably to the extreme slack headtube.

It Pays to sit on this particular bike. The frame angles and numbers make this a weird fit, and also hard to judge. I will say if you have longer arms upsize if on the fence, if your worried about the wheelbase and having a bigger bike when you upsize than this bike probably isn't for you. I 'am somewhere in-between.

Patrol Riders, What's your height/frame size?-transition-patrol.jpgPatrol Riders, What's your height/frame size?-transition-patrol-1.jpg
    Last edited by fcamaro24; 08-25-2016 at 07:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Sweet bike. Just picked up a 2016 Patrol 3 and am parting out and upgrading as we speak. I purchased a medium and am 5'8.5".

Quote Originally Posted by rsfsr View Post
    Medium was the right choice for me, first ride was sweet!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Aug 19, 7 46 50 PM.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	353.2 KB 
ID:	1089058

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    6'1.5" on an XL. The large felt a little cramped for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    5'9 with longish torso and positive ape index and i just demoed a large Patrol and liked the fit. I have not demoed a medium so can't tell how medium would have felt.
    I feel better on large for a lot of other bikes (e.g. Stumpy, Ripley).

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi all,

I am 187cm (it is 6" 2') and have quite long hands and legs
    cannot decide between L and XL,
    does anyone have the same dilema?
    what do you think will be perfect size for me?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I am 5'10.5" and went with medium for suppressor (26" patrol) and scout. Stock scout 2, my own build for the Suppressor. Stock Scout feels a bit small when climbing for a long time (760mm bars and 50mm stem), but after riding mostly BMX for the last year it's fine on flat or going down. The Suppressor has 800mm bars and a 35mm stem and feels roomier. Not sure what to make of it. I'm on the fence whether to go with a large Scout since some bastich stole my scout. There are more size large available and I could just get a shorter stem.

EDIT: I thought about it more. Medium only felt wrong for me, and then just a bit, when seated. I feel like I could climb better with the seat further back, but then the seats in the way sometimes on the descents (the med frame only fits a 125mm dropper; on really intense descents I would loosen the clamp and drop it a bit extra). Standing, medium is totally fine. I tried large 2016 Scout and Patrol in a parking lot and while it felt like a fine fit, it was super easy to hop the medium Scout over the curb, and I figured that's why you buy a Scout, so that's what I should go with. FYI my inseam for pants is 30".
    Last edited by fitek; 01-04-2017 at 12:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    alonmil,
    I'm slightly smaller than you (185cm) and I went with an XL. I sat in both and was instantly more comfortable on the larger frame. The large felt cramped.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbyred View Post
    alonmil,
    I'm slightly smaller than you (185cm) and I went with an XL. I sat in both and was instantly more comfortable on the larger frame. The large felt cramped.
    Eric
    Thanks Eric....
    you dialed up my mind

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I just went and rode large patrol and scout in a parking lot (no medium was available for side by side). It feels better seated, but I kinda like the medium better when standing. Oddly, I think, the Patrol felt better with its wider bars. The 150mm dropper's range feels about right. 125mm isn't quite enough.

I wish I could try a large with a 35mm stem.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I'm looking hard at ordering a scout and there are no dealers anywhere near where I live so no trying it out.

I'm 5'-6.5" with 30" inseam. Wing span is 70 inches...so a real short guy here.
    I'm at the low end of a medium by Transitions sizing chart.

From reading here it looks like many of you have sized up if you are close to the next larger size. Would you agree that with me being at the low end of the medium that it should be a pretty good fit? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm Dave View Post
    I'm looking hard at ordering a scout and there are no dealers anywhere near where I live so no trying it out.

I'm 5'-6.5" with 30" inseam. Wing span is 70 inches...so a real short guy here.
    I'm at the low end of a medium by Transitions sizing chart.

From reading here it looks like many of you have sized up if you are close to the next larger size. Would you agree that with me being at the low end of the medium that it should be a pretty good fit? Thoughts?
    I'm 5'6" with short legs/longer torso and got the Medium Scout with 50mm stem and it fits perfect, the small is tiny. I'd go medium all day long.

Patrol Riders, What's your height/frame size?-scout1.jpg
    nothing witty here...