mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Patrol head angle

i've had my Patrol since spring. it's amazing, a great compliment to my Smuggler. one thing i wonder about is the incredibly slack HA. i've got an xfusion vengeance fork which has a longer a to c and resulting HA. it's 64.5 on the angle finder. the bike is a bit sleepy and sluggish at more normal trail speeds. anyone else experience this? it could also have something to do with the fork offset i don't know. i'm toying with the idea of a works components headset to reduce it by a degree.... weird i know.

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Might be fork offset - I had a vengeance @ 160 on a different 650b bike and it always felt floppy/sluggish, but now have a fox 36 650b @ 150mm on a scout with -2 headset (head angle is about 64.6) and don't get the wheel flop/sluggish thing.
    The few mm more fork offset reducing the trail feels like a nice balance to me...

I'd say unless it really bugs you the downside of increased BB height and steeper HA might be worse than apparent sleepiness, especially if you've got a Smuggler for normal trails!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Vengeance offset is 42mm. Same as Pike/Lyrik, less than Fox.

The head angle is already bordering on too slack on that bike. What it really needs is a 1/4" longer chainstay to really balance the bike on corners that aren't perfectly bermed.

If I recall right, the Vengeance can be somewhat easily reduced in travel.

mtbr member
    The patrol rides great with the Fox 36 at 160. Honestly, the head angle just feels totally "normal" to me on the patrol. And with the longer wheelbase and reach, the 16.9 chainstays help the patrol stay playful and fun on tamer trails but they are long enough to keep it stable at speed. I would not change a single number on it. The patrol gets the praise that it has gotten for a reason.
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The ONLY issue that I have with the handling of the bike is getting the front to take inside lines on bermless corners and steering with the rear equally to the front. To unweight the rear with the shorter chainstay means a pretty aggressive weighting to the front, and not as much in-between as would be available with a longer CS, so it's a lot harder to get the bike to "carve" if that makes any sense. It's great on steep chutes and trails with dropoffs and jumps, but on messy disorganized corners where it's up to the rider to get both wheels sliding steadily and modulate that sliding, there's just a tiny bit of imbalance there. Riding a GG MegaTrail back-to-back with it shows this pretty well (especially if it has an angleset and is set at 65). Similar enough numbers all around except for that.

It's not a big issue, at all. Just an observation. Overall the package works DAMN well.

Edit: I've ridden the bike with a 36 and a Lyrik, both at 160, and with various shocks/sag settings at the front/rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    the 64.5° HA on my bike is simply too slack for all but the steepest trails. i'm getting a works components angle adjust headset. i suspect this will make a great bike better for a broader cross section of riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    installed the works components headset, bringing the HA to around 65.5. much improved overall handling.