Wait for me!

Patrol Carbon help, stuck between sizes

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Patrol Carbon but I can't seem to decide on a size. I'm 6'2" which puts me smack dab in the middle of a L and XL according to Transitions sizing chart. I was hoping to get the input from the L/XL riders here. FWIW I like a wide bar (800mm) Unfortunately, my local dealer doesn't have any demos available.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm 6'2" and have been on an XL Patrol (aluminumium :^) for a bit more than a year. There is no way that i would ever consider riding a size L. In fact I would wish for a little longer reach.... I have a bit long arms, but really pretty proportional.

Go XL. you can always use a short stem.
    But you'll look like a doofus on a large with an 80mm stem and the dropper post jacked up past the insertion line....

Go forward!

(p.s. i've gotten a new bike each year for the past 7 years until now. this year, i couldn't think of any excuse to replace my Patrol! ...it is awesome...)

Wait for me!
    Thanks for the input. I'm currently riding an XL Tracer 275C I bought at the beginning of the year. I have buyers remorse with it as I wish the HTA was slightly slacker, and it feels really tall and bulky on the descents. I'm also not crazy about the VPP suspension, not very lively and pretty harsh on square edge hits.

I was leaning towards the L Patrol, but it seems like I really need to find a dealer with both sizes so I can try them out. Thanks again

Wait for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by uberstein View Post
    I'm 6'2" and have been on an XL Patrol (aluminumium :^) for a bit more than a year. There is no way that i would ever consider riding a size L. In fact I would wish for a little longer reach.... I have a bit long arms, but really pretty proportional.

Go XL. you can always use a short stem.
    But you'll look like a doofus on a large with an 80mm stem and the dropper post jacked up past the insertion line....

Go forward!

(p.s. i've gotten a new bike each year for the past 7 years until now. this year, i couldn't think of any excuse to replace my Patrol! ...it is awesome...)
    What's your typical riding style? Are you more straightline plow, or do you go for a more active poppy style? That's playing into my decision as well, as I prefer the latter and think a L would be better suited.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' 3" and my brother is 6' 1" and we both prefer the large. I rode an XL scout for a year and then went to the Large patrol. Yes, the seat is up high, but compared to bikes of yesteryear it's still way longer than what we rode in the past. We're all about corners and popping off everything in sight. I guess we just prefer a little shorter wheelbase. I ride the XL tr500 and that's great for more wide open, pinned type stuff. But for more nuanced trails, I like a bike a little tighter. All that said, you'd probably be pretty happy either way.
    Binary • Transition Bikes • Demon Dirt •

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm 6'0 and I got to demo the L and XL Patrol.

Surprisingly, the XL Patrol was the only XL bike I've ridden in recently history that legitimately felt too big for me. The XL Enduro and XL Rune V2 both fit me fine.

I'm on a L Patrol Carbon now and it's sizing is pretty spot on for me with a 50mm stem. If I were any taller I'd definitely go for the XL though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by whoopwhoop View Post
    I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Patrol Carbon but I can't seem to decide on a size. I'm 6'2" which puts me smack dab in the middle of a L and XL according to Transitions sizing chart. I was hoping to get the input from the L/XL riders here. FWIW I like a wide bar (800mm) Unfortunately, my local dealer doesn't have any demos available.
    If you can't demo then I think I'd be more inclined to use a bikes geo figures as opposed to the a manufacturers sizing chart when deciding.
    FWIW I'm just over 6' and I've come from a large Intense Spider, which I felt was a bit too small for me, to a XL Patrol which I feel fits me much better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm just shy of 6'2" and rode a L Covert for 3 years and it felt fine if not a little small.
    Had a chance to demo a L Scout last year and it felt like a better fit. (both with 50mm stems)
    Just bought and built up a 2015 XL Patrol frame without riding it first and was worried it might be too big and long (3" longer wheelbase than my Covert).

After 2 rides I can say it is AMAZING. 35 mm stem/800 mm bars seam perfect and it is way more agile than I could have thought possible for a bike that size. Still have some tinkering with saddle/stem height/suspension to work out but I think I have finally found the one.

Wait for me!
    Thanks for all the feedback, it's much appreciated. It sounds like XL would be the consensus, BUT I've decided to go against the grain. I went ahead and ordered a large. I ran through the numbers over and over comparing the L and XL Patrol to my current XL Tracer (which I feel is too big) Going with the large, I'm only loosing .5 inches of reach. I'm gonna loose 1.125 inches on the top tube which I can compensate some for by going with a 50 or 60mm stem (currently running a 35mm on my tracer) and sliding the seat all the way back on the rails.

I live in Phoenix AZ, our trails are tight and technical. The shorter the wheelbase, the better in this part of the world. Having a little shorter wheelbase will make negotiating switchbacks and getting up tech features slightly easier (the rest is up to the rider ) I'm thinking the large will lend itself to jumping and popping off features more than the XL would also. Plus having a slightly shorter seat tube will make it possible to fit a 170mm dropper later down the road.

Hopefully I'm right!! I will definitely report back once I get the new bike dialed in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    your thinking is logical to me. i'm 6'5" and very lanky on an xl. it's a huge bike and i like that. most riding here is fast dh'y and bike parks. at your height and for tight trails L sounds right. let us know when you've put some trail time on it.

mtbr member
    I made the same choice and live in Phoenix as well. Even Transition would tell you their size guide is just a guide and you should get the size you know is right for yourself. Enjoy and don't second guess!
    Binary • Transition Bikes • Demon Dirt •

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    get the larger size with a 30mm or 35mm stem they are a short bike when peddling sat down. The short stem comes into its own on the downs and then site the bike in-between both sizes.

Im riding a large at 5' 9" and I've only ever ridden medium bikes in the past and sometimes small DH bikes many years a go.

It works on my Patrol C and Scout.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    To chuck in my five cent I have just ordered a L and I'm 190cm (6,2 and a bit) I trawled over the XL and L but I wanted a large owing to all the XL I had ridden feeling clumbersome. I spoke to loads of transition dealers and compared the geo charts to the bikes I had owned. Transition said I could ride either bike without an issue. In the end I spoke to the brand managed for transition in the U.K., great guy and really helpful. He walked me through the bikes I had owned and we went through the number together over the phone and in the end he said go large with a 50mm stem. The patrol carbon is built around a 60 stem anyway , can't wait to get the bike now !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk