Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Finish my build late last night/early this morning. Turned a few nobs, pumped some air and then went to sleep.
    I had a few hours this morning and went for a ride. WOW, the Patrol is fast and poppy. I know people say it all the time, but, until you feel it yourself, you don't always believe the hype.
    XL Carbon Patrol, 31lbs2oz or 14.12kg. I was hoping for sub 30lbs but I knew it wasn't going to be a reality. This bike is fun, looking forward the Highland this weekend and racing it.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    sub 30 pound carbonium not a reality??? you're not trying hard enough! i bet a $3500 spend on more carbonium parts would do it. try it and let us know how goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Adam View Post
    Sweet ride report on the shock please !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rides so much better than an air shock with little weight penalty

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Cunning, there is enough Carbon on the bike as is. Just not the wheels and I'm not going that route either. I'm very happy with the build, it was just a dream to get a sub 30lbs ripper. All my parts are chosen to take a beating and keep rolling. The bike weighs two pounds less than my previous bike did.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Frame- XL Carbon Black with Blue
    Shock- Cane Creek Double Barrel Air with Climb Switch
    Fork- Fox Float 36 RC2
    Handlebar- Race Face Sixc 785mm
    Stem- Thomson 50mm
    Headset- FSA
    Grips- Ergon
    Cassette- Shimano XT 11-42
    Right Shifter- XTR
    Crankset- RACE FACE Sixc 170mm, 34 tooth Race Face NW
    Chain Guide- e13
    Rear Derailleur- Shimano XT
    Chain- Shimano XT
    Pedals- Shimano XT Trail
    Front Brake- Shimano Saint
    Front Rotor- Uberbike Radiator 203mm
    Rear Brake- Shimano Saint
    Rear Rotor- Unerbike Radiator 180mm
    Saddle- WTB Devo
    Seatpost- 9Point8 Fallline 150mm
    Front Tire- Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3
    Rear Tire- Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.3
    Hubs- Hadely
    Rims- Stan's Flow MK3
    Spokes- Sapim CX-Ray

Weight- 14.12kgs, 31lbs 2oz

Patrol build thread-img_1672.jpgPatrol build thread-img_1671.jpgPatrol build thread-img_1677.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Patrol build thread-img_1653.jpg  

Patrol build thread-img_1673.jpg  

Last edited by rugbyred; 10-19-2016 at 05:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'm hopefully picking up a carbon patrol this week. Very excited I'm hoping to get the build well under 30lb.

Large in blue
    Fox RCT 36
    Fox factory transfer post
    Sixc bars
    Atlas stem
    RSC guide brakes
    Xo1 eagle group set
    Hope Enduro with pro 4
    Maxxis is tyres
    SDG fly MTN
    Esi chunky grips

Wheels will get attention in the new year with some carbon and I have an eleven six waiting to be re configured as well.

Fingers crossed !!

mtbr member
    Here's mine :
    Patrol build thread-20161021_131326.jpg

Very easy bike !

mtbr member

My 2017 alloy build

Just finished building mine up yesterday, taking it out for its first ride this arvo.

SRAM Eagle X01 drivetrain, 170mm Reverb (I'm 6'2" and it juuust fits in a large frame), Renthal carbon bars, Flow MK3 rims and Hope everything else.

I'll probably shorten my cable and hoses a little later on, just wanted to get it out on the trails asap!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Patrol build thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    some real beauties in the last couple posts. mine is an xl (black with the neon green decals) and close to 34 lbs with heavy tires. i don't really care, most my mates are so fast it wouldn't matter. awesome ride either way and the wheels are fairly light.

can't go wrong with that carbon 31 pounder, the wheel build is drool worthy. Hadley hubs ++ wow, sweet n bomber. the one above looks awesome, the colour way is amazing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Great builds, I picked mine up the other day, just finished invisiframing it and hoping to have a first blast over the weekend. I'm 6,2 and a bit 190cm and I went with a large. From sitting on the bike with a 150 dropper the bikes feels ok to me. Mine weighed in at a tad over 28lbs however when I install my saddle it should just creep under 28lb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Cunningstunts,
    The Hadley's are amazing. I've had the hubs for eight seasons now. I finally changed the rear bearings and pawls this season and I'll eventually change the front bearings. I bought them when the Cdn dollar was worth more than the US, which made them affordable.
    This bike is fantastic. Raced it after only riding it on three occasions and finished with my first podium (3) in my category in a big race at Highland this past weekend. Was pretty impressed.
    Eric

mtbr member

Lasts updates on mine.... swapped the dvo for a SR suntour auron rc2 (awesome), reverb 170, installed the nube tubeless on the rear and a lighter tyre, some galfer discs...it went down to 13.7kg

Set up so far:

Patrol carbon L size
    CCDB Coil CA with SAR 450lb spring
    SR suntour auron rc2
    CK inset headset
    CK bottom bracket
    CK ISO LD front hub
    CK ISO rear hub
    Sapim CX ray spokes
    light bicycle carbon rims, 30mm internal with/35 external reinforced rear rim, 400gr front 450gr rear
    Magic Mary exo front tyre
    Wtb vigilante light fast rolling rear tyre (nube tubeless installed)
    Sram x0 gxp cranks 175mm
    E13 trs chainguide
    Garbaruk melon 32t direct mount chainring
    Xt m8000 cassette with garbaruk extender 11-45
    Campagnolo record 11spd chain
    Shimano xtr rear mech with goat link
    Sram xx 11spd shifter
    Sram guide RSC brakes
    Galfer wave rotors (200/180)
    Renthal fatbar carbon 780mm/30mm rise
    Syntace megaforce 30mm stem
    RS reverb B2 stealth 170mm drop
    Wtb Silverado team saddle

I think I haven't forgot anything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by el_guillyt View Post
    What's your seat clamp ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supman View Post
    What's your seat clamp ?
    the one it came with the frame, I have some hope headset spacers too....20mm+10mm...

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Lasts updates on mine.... swapped the dvo for a SR suntour auron rc2 (awesome), reverb 170, installed the nube tubeless on the rear and a lighter tyre, some galfer discs...it went down to 13.7kg

Set up so far:

Patrol carbon L size
    CCDB Coil CA with SAR 450lb spring
    SR suntour auron rc2
    CK inset headset
    CK bottom bracket
    CK ISO LD front hub
    CK ISO rear hub
    Sapim CX ray spokes
    light bicycle carbon rims, 30mm internal with/35 external reinforced rear rim, 400gr front 450gr rear
    Magic Mary exo front tyre
    Wtb vigilante light fast rolling rear tyre (nube tubeless installed)
    Sram x0 gxp cranks 175mm
    E13 trs chainguide
    Garbaruk melon 32t direct mount chainring
    Xt m8000 cassette with garbaruk extender 11-45
    Campagnolo record 11spd chain
    Shimano xtr rear mech with goat link
    Sram xx 11spd shifter
    Sram guide RSC brakes
    Galfer wave rotors (200/180)
    Renthal fatbar carbon 780mm/30mm rise
    Syntace megaforce 30mm stem
    RS reverb B2 stealth 170mm drop
    Wtb Silverado team saddle

Awesome bike! Had a quick question for you, why did you move from the DVO Diamond to the AURON RC2? I am considering both forks so wanted to get your opinion.

Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Czar1 View Post
    Awesome bike! Had a quick question for you, why did you move from the DVO Diamond to the AURON RC2? I am considering both forks so wanted to get your opinion.

Thanks!!!
    Thx man!

Well, I had to claim warranty on the dvo because of the creaky noise on the crown/steertube and the clonky noise on the air side, and that took the confidence away from it, specially the crown issue, then we are like 5 or 6 on the group with dvo's and all went to warranty, 2 of them like 5 or 6 times, I saw a deal on the auron and went for it, because the rest of the market (pike, fox36, zochi,....) I loved the bos I had before the dvo, but too expensive to buy new again having owned one less than a year ago and fking ohlins don't make "regular" 27,5 forks...The auron is light, cheap, and works like a champ, stiff, decent hydraulic system (100 times better than pike's charger) plush and supple, and it looks good too...Now I'm back on the dvo, a friend told me they fix all the issues ( mine was one of the first batch ) and I'm giving it another chance, but the auron stays at the garage for sure, both forks are great, dvo plushness it's from another planet, to me the progression of the air cartridge is just right, the auron is a little more progressive (with no tokens) and both hydraulics are good, but bos was one step ahead IMHO.

I hope this helps....

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thx man!

Well, I had to claim warranty on the dvo because of the creaky noise on the crown/steertube and the clonky noise on the air side, and that took the confidence away from it, specially the crown issue, then we are like 5 or 6 on the group with dvo's and all went to warranty, 2 of them like 5 or 6 times, I saw a deal on the auron and went for it, because the rest of the market (pike, fox36, zochi,....) I loved the bos I had before the dvo, but too expensive to buy new again having owned one less than a year ago and fking ohlins don't make "regular" 27,5 forks...The auron is light, cheap, and works like a champ, stiff, decent hydraulic system (100 times better than pike's charger) plush and supple, and it looks good too...Now I'm back on the dvo, a friend told me they fix all the issues ( mine was one of the first batch ) and I'm giving it another chance, but the auron stays at the garage for sure, both forks are great, dvo plushness it's from another planet, to me the progression of the air cartridge is just right, the auron is a little more progressive (with no tokens) and both hydraulics are good, but bos was one step ahead IMHO.

I hope this helps....
    Wow thanks for the very detailed write up, really appreciate it. If you had to choose one at almost the same price which one would you get? They have great deals out right now, the DVO Diamond is going for 530 and the Auron for 460,

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    at that price I would go for the DVO, don't know how is the after sales service on your location, here in spain it's awesome, sent mine on a monday and thursday i had it back with new crown, air cartridge and rebound side of the hyd (didn't had a problem with it, but I guess they went ahead of problems because a friend has an issue with it), I never experienced such a good service. Suntour it's known for good after sales too, but in spain they go back to france, and takes a little longer, but they are really good, I know some guys that asked for a softer neg spring and they sent them free of charge, and you can open the fork without loosing the warranty, DVO same thing, I had mine open a couple of times before service... any way as I said, with the DVO at that price, IMHO it's a little step ahead of the auron

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Greetings from germany,

this is my Transition Patrol:

Specials:
    - Monarch Plus with tuningkit by M-Suspension
    - Fox 36 Float Fit4 3-Pos tuned by M-Suspension
    - Shigura Breaks (Shimano Saint with Magura MT5 Saddle)
    - Decals by NL Designs

Patrol build thread-2095865-d01f4m894x43-dsc_1249_1-large.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Cool brake setup. Could you open it little bit: Why? And how it works

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I Adam1987! What can you tell about that tuning to the Monarch shock? It works? What is the differences?

mtbr member
    I'm considering an alloy Patrol as a replacement for my 2014 Yeti SB66. Other than a lower BB and pedal strikes, any serious drawbacks to running this with 26" wheels at least temporarily? I've got a couple wheelsets, a 160 pike, and a 170 lyrik that I'd run until if and when I decide to go 27.5.

mtbr member

Patrol build thread

You might be able to do that just run a lot less sag in the shock a lot I just put 165 cranks on mine because I was slapping rocks with my pedals. I came off a sb66 aswell and on my first ride on the patrol I was on a familiar turn that you can pedal out of on the sb66 and clipped an inside pedal and yard saled lol. The bb is looowwww.

But the patrol is a sweet ride. I'd get it for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallen4520 View Post
    You might be able to do that just run a lot less sag in the shock a lot I just put 165 cranks on mine because I was slapping rocks with my pedals. I came off a sb66 aswell and on my first ride on the patrol I was on a familiar turn that you can pedal out of on the sb66 and clipped an inside pedal and yard saled lol. The bb is looowwww.

But the patrol is a sweet ride. I'd get it for sure.
    Thanks, I guess its probably too low then. Guess if I go this route it'll be time for new rims and hope to get decent $ for my forks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Good to know I'm not the only person thats done that sallen!

First ride on my patrol managed to clip a pedal in the first 20m of track going around an easy corner!

Anyway here's a pic of mine:

bad reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybeans View Post

First ride on my patrol managed to clip a pedal in the first 20m of track going around an easy corner!

Are you running 175mm Cranks? I'm ordering parts for a build and am wondering how much difference 170mm Cranks would make. I broke a Carbon Crank arm from a pedal strike on my Nomad 3 - I was always hitting pedals on rocks & roots.
    Has anybody ridden both bikes (Patrol & Nomad?) Is the Patrol as low riding as a Nomad 3?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    Are you running 175mm Cranks? I'm ordering parts for a build and am wondering how much difference 170mm Cranks would make. I broke a Carbon Crank arm from a pedal strike on my Nomad 3 - I was always hitting pedals on rocks & roots.
    Has anybody ridden both bikes (Patrol & Nomad?) Is the Patrol as low riding as a Nomad 3?
    Yes I have 175mm cranks. Never ridden a nomad though sorry! I did consider shorter cranks, but I'm touch over 6'4" so just went with what I know works for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    Id go 170mm. THe Patrol rides alot lower into the travel compared to the Nomad3 i started with 175mm cranks and switched to 170mm quickly. And still beat the hell out of the shorter cranks...

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Can the people with the 11/6 shock please chime in with their impressions?
    What tune did you go with and why?
    Would you change the tune or are you happy with it?
    I'm thinking of blowing the budget again and going with one this season. I think I would want a tune with a firm pedal platform for racing and a wide open one for when it's fun time and the bike is pointed in the right direction!
    Thank you in advance,
    Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybeans View Post

The pedal strikes were too much for me, had to run it with less than recommended sag which in turn negatively impacted its handling. Unfortunately had to let it go. Fast and poppy but two bad crashes due to pedal strikes.

bad reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbyred View Post
    Can the people with the 11/6 shock please chime in with their impressions?
    What tune did you go with and why?
    Would you change the tune or are you happy with it?
    I'm thinking of blowing the budget again and going with one this season. I think I would want a tune with a firm pedal platform for racing and a wide open one for when it's fun time and the bike is pointed in the right direction!
    Thank you in advance,
    Eric
    ^^^^ WHAT ERIC SAID ^^^^

I spoke with Push about the Eleven Six on a TR Patrol. I was told it runs higher in the travel than the stock RS Debonair (not sure how that can be if it's setup at 35% sag?) I too am curious if it's a worthy upgrade compared to other options (Float X2, DHX2, etc.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    been running a DB coil IL on my suppressor for a month or so. Its awesome. I think which ever coil you get it will be worth it.

Does your dog bite?
    Anyone selling their XL blue Patrol? I'm in the market.
    Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks you're an a-hole.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Techspec360 View Post
    The pedal strikes were too much for me, had to run it with less than recommended sag which in turn negatively impacted its handling. Unfortunately had to let it go. Fast and poppy but two bad crashes due to pedal strikes.
    Shorter crank arms?

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Shorter crank arms?

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    learn when not to pedal as well lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Im just building up a 2016 Patrol to replace my Nomad 3. I was having a look at the builds on here and noticed your comments about pedal strikes.
    When i first got my Nomad I thought it was an absolute dog. It was pedal strike city and the suspension in general just felt pretty rubbish. I tried a bunch of set up changes, less Sag, volume reducers etc etc. Nothing helped.
    I was pretty gutted but a friend hooked me up a deal with FOX for a 36 and an X2.. What a Revelation!
    The bike instantly rode higher up in the travel, the pedal strikes were completely gone and the bike actually started to behave how I had expected it to.
    The Monarch is a cheap and cheerful shock. I dont think its really up to seeing duty in these kind of bikes. I imagine they only spec them to hit a price point.
    Just my 2cents but before you ditch the bike I would try a different shock in it.

bad reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by TeMoose View Post
    Im just building up a 2016 Patrol to replace my Nomad 3. I was having a look at the builds on here and noticed your comments about pedal strikes.
    When i first got my Nomad I thought it was an absolute dog. It was pedal strike city and the suspension in general just felt pretty rubbish. I tried a bunch of set up changes, less Sag, volume reducers etc etc. Nothing helped.
    I was pretty gutted but a friend hooked me up a deal with FOX for a 36 and an X2.. What a Revelation!
    The bike instantly rode higher up in the travel, the pedal strikes were completely gone and the bike actually started to behave how I had expected it to.
    The Monarch is a cheap and cheerful shock. I dont think its really up to seeing duty in these kind of bikes. I imagine they only spec them to hit a price point.
    Just my 2cents but before you ditch the bike I would try a different shock in it.
    My Patrol frame just showed up today at the FedEx office. It's replacing my Nomad 3 as well. I had a Fox 36 up front on my Nomad but never tried anything other than the stock RS Monarch Debonair. I actually really enjoyed the bike but I do like mixing things up once in a while...variety and the spice of life of something

TeMoose - what are you building yours with?
    So far all I've ordered is a 160 Lyrik (I got a killer deal on the fork.) Considering an Eleven Six coil or an X2 or DHX2, not sure yet.
    Post some pics when you get her built!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Yea im sure there are people who cope with the Monarch just fine, it just sounds like these guys had the same issues as me. I basically only ride in anger these days. Haha. With Kids, work etc i have no time so when I do ride it's either training or racing.
    I live in Switzerland as well so it's pretty much all steep, aggressive and tech.
    I sold my Nomad at the end of last season because I really don't have time to ride and having 10k worth of bike in the garage that you don't use feels a bit wasteful.. anyway a mate asked me to race E2 in Davos this year with him so I needed a new ride, hense the Tranny. Cheap, solid and by all reports a serious contender.
    So far it's getting a 36 up front, XX1, Saint brakes and Crank (love Srams shifting, hate their cranks and bb's), a CCDB Air CS and a set of Mavis LTDs that a mate has lying around because they match the color and they're cheap. 😂😂
    If I find myself using it enough I'll probably swap to an X2 or Ohlins coil but for now the CCDB is there so it's going in. Basically its zero bling, high reliability stuff.
    Complete build with most parts new should be under 3500. 😎

mtbr member
    I have a frame being delivered this week. Picked up a leftover 2016 aluminum matte black for $400 off full price. I'm not replacing a bike just adding one to the stable. Currently riding a 26" 2011 Stumpjumper FSR, it's a good bike. I'll admit I went back and forth between a Scout and Patrol. I decided on the Patrol because the stumpjumper is a pretty good mid travel bike and I didn't need another. Rode Pisgah last year and wished for more bike several times. At 55 I'm planning bike vacations at least once a year, Sedona, Moab, and several other destinations. I thought that the Patrol would be the ideal bike for destinations listed. Anyways, I have a set of Flow Ex's laced to Hope Pro4's with Maxxis DHF/DHRII, XT M8000 brakes, XT shifter, XT derailleur, XT 11/42 cassette, I haven't decided on a crankset yet, leaning towards a RaceFace response 165mm arms. Enduro XD-15 BB, AB 28T oval, Renthal Fatbar carbon lite, and a duo or apex stem. Going to use a specialized command post blacklite, I have one on my stumpjumper and it's been pretty bullet proof. Although, it is an external routed cable, couldn't pass up the deal I got it for. Only thing left to order is a fork. The Fox 36 Fit4 160mm is on my list. I built up my stumpy with some of the same components, it's been a great bike with no component issues whatsoever, minus normal wear. I'll post pics soon.
    Last edited by MikeBurnsie; 01-30-2017 at 06:36 PM.
    2016 Transition Patrol
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anyone having any luck with tuning the Super Deluxe on the 2017 Patrol?

mtbr member
    Anybody put a needle roller conversion kit on the top shock hardware of the patrol?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dngr View Post
    Anyone having any luck with tuning the Super Deluxe on the 2017 Patrol?
    Are you not happy with yours?

I've only taken mine to one shuttle day so far but it performed pretty well for me. I just set the sag at 30% and left the rebound open.

There was another guy there who is a better and faster rider than me who had put one spacer in the air can and was loving how it performed. He described it as "you feel a hit on the forks but then it just disappears under the rear"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Just got my Patrol Carbon. What are you guys using for a down tube protector, I got the blue and want to protect it. The clear protector does not seem like enough, I plan to put more clear protection on it in other areas. How is the paint holding up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    take a worn out tire with reasonably tough casing and wrap electric tape around it to the downtube. if you wanna be slick about it, clear gorilla tape would work well and not look so ghetto....

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    batts,
    Use Shelter Tape on your downtube. Works wonders.

mtbr member
    Search for a Trek downtube protector

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    someone else mentioned the Trek one for the alum. model but was not sure about the carbon frame if the downtube is bigger???

mtbr member
    I have an alloy frame and plan on purchasing one of these PATROL - TRANSITION - ROCKGUARDZ . They have guards for carbon frames as well.
    2016 Transition Patrol
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have one of those on my 2017 Patrol. It fits pretty nicely, only negative is that it covers up part of the "Transition" sticker on the downtube. A user over on Pinkbike modified his and just trimmed it so that it no longer covered anything over.

I'll probably end up doing this too

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    another question as the build starts.
    Using Race Face cinch cranks, the directions state to use one spacer on the drive side and none on the non-drive. seems like it needs another spacer, no play. just turned the cinch in a few times. Any one else have cinch cranks on their carbon Patrol?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast