Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Last part of my build. How do you guys get the cable housing for the dropper through the bend above the BB?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rorhound View Post
    Last part of my build. How do you guys get the cable housing for the dropper through the bend above the BB?
    I have a Fall Line on my Patrol, so I threaded the cable through the frame first, making the housing slide through slick as shit

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Does anybody of you need a brand new Float X 230 x 65 mm for the 2017 Patrol?
    Shipping from Germany.

mtbr member
    Patrol frame uses 216mm eye to eye

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit43 View Post
    Patrol frame uses 216mm eye to eye
    The 2017 one does not. It uses a 230x65 shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    The 2017 one does not. It uses a 230x65 shock.
    Metric

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Some of the frames do even have metric bushings - which are not available for aftermarket right now. Bike industry seems to be more about marketing than realizing products... 😏

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Has anyone tried fitting Hope brakes with their braided hoses in the Carbon Patrol? I'm worried that the hose diameter would be too large for the TITS on the frame.
    Thanks,
    Eric

The Crow

Transition Patrol Carbon custom build

Have a look at this custom build from South Africa
    https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_...om-build-r6226

Patrol build thread-ccs-62657-0-58916500-1488875397.jpg
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I've been riding my 2017 metric patrol for a little while now and have to say it's great. I just fitted a rockguardz carbon protector ( they are still moulded for the 2016 but fits ok) I'm hoping fox do the X2 in metric sizing soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bad reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Adam View Post
    I've been riding my 2017 metric patrol for a little while now and have to say it's great. I just fitted a rockguardz carbon protector ( they are still moulded for the 2016 but fits ok) I'm hoping fox do the X2 in metric sizing soon.
    One week on my 2016 build. Threw an X2 on it Friday night and tested it out yesterday and it's a definite improvement. Gonna add a spacer today and see how that feels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Nice, looking good !! Plus as bad as it's sounds the rockshock doesn't look right as everything else is fox lol. Once I've done that I'm going to give some nextie carbon rims a blast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Well like a couple of you I am waiting for the metric X2 to be released. I stubble over this recently and followed it up at the source. They are currently being used for by teams.Apparently the upgrade will be available in May !!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ^ Metric X2's are available already in some countries. Should be out later this month in the U.K.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hello,

A question to 2017 Patrol owners:
    What is your weight and super deluxe inflation pressure?
    I weight 170lbs w/ riding gear but somehow get 35% sag on 140psi
    I know its usually the psi equivalent of the weight (My Scout was 170psi for example) or has this got something to do with the super deluxe?
    I personally prefer a slightly stiffer setup but then I'm getting less than the recommended sag

Appreciate your input

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm very nearly the same as you. Sucks, because with the shock down on psi to get the right sag, and right riding characteristics, I bottom out fairly frequently which my rear rim does not like one bit.

Cannot wait until DVO releases the Topaz in metric so I can pair it with the Diamond up front

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm 190lb before gear and I run 140psi on the Super Deluxe to get 35% sag. Seems way low but it works well. I feel like it could use another bottom-out spacer or something, if that's even an option for these shocks.

Edit: Remember, there is more piston area on this shock than with the Monarch. There is no inner "sleeve", so the piston face is going all the way to the outer wall of the shock. Same force, more area, less pounds per square inch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I currently have a fox 36 160mm on my patrol just wondering how you guys like running 170mm ? I might be switching over to a mrp ribbon and if i do i plan on going 170mm... any complaints? Has anyone run both? I wouldn't mind the extra 10mm of height I'm thinking it would make the front end ride a little higher in the travel...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Njhardrock View Post
    I currently have a fox 36 160mm on my patrol just wondering how you guys like running 170mm ? I might be switching over to a mrp ribbon and if i do i plan on going 170mm... any complaints? Has anyone run both? I wouldn't mind the extra 10mm of height I'm thinking it would make the front end ride a little higher in the travel...
    Patrol build thread-p5pb14523593.jpg

Here is my bike with a 170mm Lyrik. I have since switch to a 160mm 36. For me and my trails the extra 10mm felt like I was wandering the front end to much on the climbs. 160mm will pull you more forward on the bike keeping that front wheel down. The 170mm will feel like your sitting on the back wheel more. Both has its plus and minus.

As far as your front end riding higher in the travel you may want to stiffen up your fork settings to allow it to ride higher but you would most likely be sacrificing suppleness and small bump.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    What sort of differences have you guys noticed when changed out your rear shock for an X2?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vsong View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb14523593.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	407.7 KB 
ID:	1134870

Here is my bike with a 170mm Lyrik. I have since switch to a 160mm 36. For me and my trails the extra 10mm felt like I was wandering the front end to much on the climbs. 160mm will pull you more forward on the bike keeping that front wheel down. The 170mm will feel like your sitting on the back wheel more. Both has its plus and minus.

As far as your front end riding higher in the travel you may want to stiffen up your fork settings to allow it to ride higher but you would most likely be sacrificing suppleness and small bump.
    Thanks... yea I have a tuned the fork with 2 spacers and every setting imaginable... i feel like the 160 wanders on climbs anyway so why not try and let this bike be good at what it does... go down....thanks for your feedback it's much appreciated

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have a x2 on my patrol... definitely a improvement over the same stock shock

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I have a x2 on my patrol... definitely a improvement over the same stock shock
    What sort of improvements? Did the pedalling improve and climbing with increased descending ability ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It bobs less... the ramp up can be made slightly more progressive... I barely use my climb switch... i still wish i went coil but it's definitely better

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone else on the 170mm vs 160mm fork debate?

mtbr member
    What's the debate? You like travel, get it.

No negative effect on climbing.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Awesome morning yesterday on dusty trails. Can't wait to wack a metric X2 on this bad boy. Uplift day this Sunday for a real test as well.

mtbr member
    Finally finished my build. Taking it out this afternoon to tune it in.

Patrol build thread-dsc_1966.jpg

Patrol build thread-dsc_1953.jpg
    Last edited by MikeBurnsie; 05-14-2017 at 06:06 PM.
    2016 Transition Patrol
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Spending more time on the Patrol lately and loving it. Bike is great in the chunk and have yet to feel like I'm being held back. Just picked up the Float X2 and feel like I'm 80% dialed with my settings.

"Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Does anyone on here own an XL they can post a picture of I'm considering sizing up

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sam Adam,
    See post #155. I've made a few changes but the frame is an XL.
    Eric

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hi guys, how would this bike be for trail/enduro? I need a bike good for technical rocky stuff but that can still decend and climb. (Looking at used 2015 Patrol 3)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So after having my patrol for about a year now and riding several other horst link bikes i gotta say... my patrol rides harsh in the rear....I've upgraded to a float x2 and i still cannot make this bike feel good... i don't understand it honestly... whenever i can get my sag to 35-40% it feels ok but then i gobble up the travel and it still doesn't seem great uptop.. I am honestly just to the point of saying maybe this frame isn't for me because i have hopped on several bikes without tuning the suspension that made me smile more and beat me up less... i am a light rider... but now i have all the spacers installed in my x2 i get the sag 35ish and its just ruff..but then I don't bottom out i have even contacted avalanche and they seem to think they can tune the shock .... it's like I can't have plush and not bottoming out... please any suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    So after having my patrol for about a year now and riding several other horst link bikes i gotta say... my patrol rides harsh in the rear....I've upgraded to a float x2 and i still cannot make this bike feel good... i don't understand it honestly... whenever i can get my sag to 35-40% it feels ok but then i gobble up the travel and it still doesn't seem great uptop.. I am honestly just to the point of saying maybe this frame isn't for me because i have hopped on several bikes without tuning the suspension that made me smile more and beat me up less... i am a light rider... but now i have all the spacers installed in my x2 i get the sag 35ish and its just ruff..but then I don't bottom out i have even contacted avalanche and they seem to think they can tune the shock .... it's like I can't have plush and not bottoming out... please any suggestions?
    Get a Quarq Shockwiz. (Or rent one for the day from your LBS they are a little pricey) They are little computers that set your suspension to the perfect settings for you (rebound sag and the works). You can choice between a bunch of different options to. They are great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    exciting times for you, new bike on the way!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    To be honest I can really see much I would buy over the Patrol at the moment. I'm really close to changing it for an Evil calling but to be fair I'm not sure I'm going to gain that much in additional pedalling efficiency or climbing. I'm thinking of getting carbon wheels and a metric X2. For a 160 bike the patrol is a very good all rounder. I do regret getting rid of my yeti 5.5 though

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks... but what is this shock tuner going to do for me at this point? I've literally dialed in every setting and changed spacers 4 times... i know this is a low leverage bike but im starting to think it's just not the bike for me...I've had a heckler that beat me up less then this bike....I've tried to tune the monarch and the x2 for months now.... and honestly it's effecting my confidence on jumps because this bike just pogo's me... i just demo'd another brand horst link and felt more comfortable on a bike i was on for 10 minutes... this bike rails berms and is poppy ill give it that but i feel i loose plush for poppy... Totally frustrating and disappointing after i year of owning this bike to constantly have to mess with aomthing and it never feels right

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    My experience is with completely different bikes and I'm also heavy rider, but for me lots of spacers turned my bike into hardtail. Now I try to use as few spacers as possible, use higher pressure to control the bottom out and reduce HSC to get back the sensitivity over smaller stuff. You must get the LSR and HSR balance right to avoid pogoing and packing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Appreciate the feedback... i was thinking the same thing so i dialed it back to 1 spacer at a point in the float x2 set the sag... felt better then i bottomed on big hits and drops...so i felt like ok let me try and go the opposite way more spacers.... right now im running low pressure all
    The spacers i can ... feels ok... got low speed rebound slow high speed open pretty much.... going to ride right now and see what happens when i hit some drops ...i feel like my body weight and the fact im light on my feet as a rider is making this tuff for me... it's not like i am hating on the bike because theres a ton i love about this frame and company... but you build a bike to have fun not screw with it constantly... thanks again for the feedback I really do appreciate it!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    This is probably going to sound condescending but don't take it that way, have you thought at calling the techs at Mojo. I did recently regarding some tips on my forks. I've got to say they were really helpful and it helped me transform my forks. Worth a call .

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    got low speed rebound slow high speed open pretty much
    Hmm. I would suggest you to try to speed up the low speed rebound - if it is slow the shock is packing up and feels harsh. Then, as you open the low speed rebound compensate by closing the high speed rebound otherwise the shock is going to kick you out of saddle during bigger compressions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    ^ Metric X2's are available already in some countries. Should be out later this month in the U.K.
    Where are you UK guys getting your Metric X2's?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

Large Turner RFX For Sale

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Patrol build thread

They aren't out in the UK yet. The pictures you are seeing are team custom made shocks. The production models aren't actually released yet in the UK

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    Where are you UK guys getting your Metric X2's?
    Germany.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hey guys!
    Some super nice builds in this thread.
    I just ordered my Patrol frame today which will take about two weeks to get here (live in Australia and supplier had none in stock in my size so gotta get one from the states).
    Anyway will post pics as I build it up. Quick run down on spec will be 160mm lyrik, xt/xtr gearing, nextie Carbon wheel set and bikeyoke/KS dropper.

Just wondering what sort of frame protection you guys are using and what bits need it the most!

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Lately I've been going to places that do car tint and been getting scraps of 3M Clear bra. It might take a bit longer as it isn't already cut for size, but for free fifty I'm happy with it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Going to have a build coming up. Transfering parts from my N3 over to a used Patrol Carbon frame in blue. Going to get some custom pink decals so, it will be the same colours as my old Nomad 38mm carbon rims, saint brakes, 160 Pikes, X01 running gear, enve stem and bars, 150 KS lev. Should be awesome Looking forward to the longer reach.

Also looking into long shocking it........I have my flame suit on.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hey guys, getting the parts lined up for my new Carbon patrol build, quick questions, what rear brake mount do I need for a Shimano Saint Caliper with a 203 rotor? I've ordered one of these, but not sure if it's correct.
    Patrol build thread-ebd_shada-vr-203-pm-pm-il.jpg

Thanks from Australia

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Here's my 2016 Patrol Build 3 with few ANVL upgrades, SRAM X1 cassette/chain and relaced wheels with Stan's FLOW Mk3 rims because I manage to kill the front stock WTB i25 rim coming in too fast in a burm right after a jump...

Now their's already two good dents in the rear FLOW Mk3 after beeing enthusiastic with lower pressure (25/28psi F/R). It seems like Minions 2.3 isn't a good match for the 30mm rims... :/
    I've run 27/30psi F/R since I've managed to re-mount the DHR2 tubeless despite the dents and a cutted sidewall repaired with tire patchs and strings... that evil machine rips wheels & tires!

So I couldn't resist for a new CRC ARC30/Hope Pro 4 wheelset on sale to mount WT Minions on them! I want my lower pressure back and hopefully, no more dents...

Patrol build thread-p5pb13946684.jpgPatrol build thread-p5pb13946682.jpgPatrol build thread-p5pb13946681.jpg
    2016 Transition Patrol 3 (Satan's AM ride)
    2016 RSD Mayor (winter Fatbike)
    2016 RSD Mayor (29+, summer setup)
    2016 RSD Catalyst (700+, gravel & commuter)
    2013 Felt Breed (SSCX, winter commuter)
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis (DJ, bmx, pump track)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123