Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official TR450 Thread!

127K views 433 replies 115 participants last post by  paraskevas 
#1 · (Edited)
Time to show them off. Most should have reached the shops today or tomorrow. Mine had an issue come up with the build, but this is what mine looks like today. it'll be done in the morning. I'm just blown away with how beautiful this bike is. Pictures just don't give it justice.it's just breathtaking. Mine came out to 41. It may go down some but i'm not that worried about the weight

See less See more
#8 ·
Transition Bikes said:
Lookin good Nathan! I really like that color combo.

PS - I am on the size Large, Kyle is the Medium and Cam is the Small.
thanks sam. everyone loves the samsquatch. i show everyone that detail. i just love it.

the bike turned out better than i thought actually. i told cam to send me the black boxxer, but the white was ordered and i'm so glad it was the white. everyone loves it though...even the people with jedis, demos and sessions. it's hard to believe it's the first dh bike from yall. it takes my breath away

#9 ·
I'll add mine to the fray, I've had a couple of weeks ride time now and I'm loving the balanced feel of the bike. I'm a big boy (220lbs) and find riding the 450lb spring just about perfect. I need to upgrade the fork, wheels and cranks to get mine just right and lose a little more weight. Nathan's white Boxxer's look sick so I might go down that path. For wheels I'm thinking Crank Brothers but I'm worried they're going to clash with the yellow of the frame... I do love the look of them though and a friend who's riding them is stoked on how they've lasted so far.

#11 ·
exileded said:
I'll add mine to the fray, I've had a couple of weeks ride time now and I'm loving the balanced feel of the bike. I'm a big boy (220lbs) and find riding the 450lb spring just about perfect. I need to upgrade the fork, wheels and cranks to get mine just right and lose a little more weight. Nathan's white Boxxer's look sick so I might go down that path. For wheels I'm thinking Crank Brothers but I'm worried they're going to clash with the yellow of the frame... I do love the look of them though and a friend who's riding them is stoked on how they've lasted so far.
looks great dude...yeah i'm 220 also and thought the 450 was going to be too small, but atleast in the parking lot test it felt about right. sag was right on, rebound was good. i just need to get the high/low speed working out. what's yours way in at? mines 41, and i'm going to def drop some weight. probably a ti spring, tubeless, and maybe tires. it should dip down to 38ish. i'm really diggin just black wheels with these bikes. i'm not sure how much i love like the red wheels that i've seen on a few of them. and yeah, i'm actually surprised at how the boxxer looks. i'm stoked to try it out tomorrow morning even though it'll be on a snowy trail

#18 ·
Chad_Money said:
NMpearson, you have a ride report yet? How tall are you?
barely a ride report...didn't goto virgin today bc it was supposed to rain, but it ended up alright so i'm a bit bothered. i've only ridden one icy trail on it and a run through the campus flying down stairs. i'm 6'2, 220 and am running the large with a 450 spring. it seems to be doing pretty amazing thus far. sizing is dead on, the spring seems pretty good, i may switch up for a 500. but i've never been happier with a dh bike. it corners awesome, sits really well in the travel. The RC4 ramps up pretty decently. it's ultra smooth, corners great, and feels really well balanced. i'm heading to virgin on the 15th though so i should be able to put it through its paces there. it still blows me away how pretty it is though

#19 ·
Well mines weighing 41 at the moment, it will easily go sub 40 with a lighter wheelset and fork.

I've had the chance to get quite a lot of trail time on mine and am super impressed by the ride. The RC4 is a great shock and I managed to find a good balance pretty quickly, I am running a bit much bottom out and will back off the air pressure a little next time out but apart from that its spot on.

One of the first things I noticed coming off an older plow style bike (Astrix Havoc) is that the TR450 carries more speed out of corners and then manages to hold it on the straighter sections.
It is really hard to quantify how that translates in real world terms and if it's just the placebo effect of having a new frame but one thing I have noticed is I'm mostly spinning 7th gear on my local trail where on the Astrix I spent most of my time in 5th. I
also have had a few moments judging my speed going into jumps on the TR450 which has lead to some pretty flat landings but again the bike handled it admirably.

#20 ·
exileded said:
Well mines weighing 41 at the moment, it will easily go sub 40 with a lighter wheelset and fork.

I've had the chance to get quite a lot of trail time on mine and am super impressed by the ride. The RC4 is a great shock and I managed to find a good balance pretty quickly, I am running a bit much bottom out and will back off the air pressure a little next time out but apart from that its spot on.

One of the first things I noticed coming off an older plow style bike (Astrix Havoc) is that the TR450 carries more speed out of corners and then manages to hold it on the straighter sections.
It is really hard to quantify how that translates in real world terms and if it's just the placebo effect of having a new frame but one thing I have noticed is I'm mostly spinning 7th gear on my local trail where on the Astrix I spent most of my time in 5th. I
also have had a few moments judging my speed going into jumps on the TR450 which has lead to some pretty flat landings but again the bike handled it admirably.
totally agree, i'm thinking of maybe switching to an elka with a TI spring, but i'm probably going to just go a TI spring, tubeless, and it should dip to about 39ish.

one thing i want to echo is how fast it corners. I want to put a comparison to a parallel link bike bc we were testing one and the TR. They feel kind of the same up until you goto dig into a corner, which i thought is where the TR shined. The parallel link bike pushes you farther down because of the rearward travel. it seems to me that because there's no rearward travel that the bike kind of pushes you to the apex of the turn and shoots you though. It's def a bike to watch out for hitting rocks. I was told to spend the money on 165 cranks, because i guess cam just ruined his 170s last year. it just feels super nimble for a DH bike. Keep in mine i usually only go with trail/freeride bikes because i hate how big and heavy DH bikes are. i was on a bottlerocket and a covert last year and i wasn't sure how i was going to make it without the nibleness of the BR, but the TR is just so playful of a bike. Its a masterpiece.

Plus i love how it looks! I'm in college apts, and last night i had it at my apt instead of the shop, and everyone who walked in immediately stared at it. these are people that have don't care at all about bikes that look at it and know it's a special bike. Just amazing

#21 ·
Well, it looked a lot like a Cuervo and now it sounds like it rides a lot like one too. Advice given to me about that bike's suspension was go with a lighter spring as it really ramps us at the end of its travel. Also get rid of the bottom-out on the Fox shocks as it doesn't really need it due to end stroke ramp up.

Isn't it fun to land to flat because you carried way more speed through then you thought you could?

Pearson, which parallel link bike are you comparing to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.