Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What are people running as far as headsets go? Im having trouble figuring out which set up i should go with. Im a big fan of zero stack headsets. What are ya'll using?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KrankedDH
    What are people running as far as headsets go? Im having trouble figuring out which set up i should go with. Im a big fan of zero stack headsets. What are ya'll using?
    Via Transition, and ultimately your bike shop, you can buy the exact Cane Creek headset that we spec in our build kit. The top is the IS Fustrum Integrated and the bottom is a XXc Flush. You can buy it with your frame, most all shops are buying the frame with a headset included.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

New TR450

So I finished her up last saturday and got a maiden ride in on monday at Whistler. Im beyond stoked with this bike. Its my first real downhill bike and it blew me away how much fun to ride it was.This is probably the cleanest it will be all year. Big thanks to Dropnzone for the custom matte black paint job, turned out better than I could have hoped for.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteo
    So I finished her up last saturday and got a maiden ride in on monday at Whistler. Im beyond stoked with this bike. Its my first real downhill bike and it blew me away how much fun to ride it was.This is probably the cleanest it will be all year. Big thanks to Dropnzone for the custom matte black paint job, turned out better than I could have hoped for.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    damn pretty..
    love the blackout look

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So how hard was it to fish the derailleur/shifter cable through the rear swing arm?

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KrankedDH
    So how hard was it to fish the derailleur/shifter cable through the rear swing arm?
    Not hard. The Covert could use a little tweaking on the internal routing (it tends to kink the housing with Sram derailleurs), but the TR450 is very well done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    yeah it took like two seconds to get the cable through. I just put a screwdriver at the edge of the hole to guide the cable through and that was that!

Stray Bullet
    Anyone know the stock levels for size large TR450?

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Matteo: what did you use to wrap your chainstay and seatstay? Is that mastic tape? I've been trying different methods recently, looking for something that's tough, quiet, and looks clean.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm using Framewrap. Its really cool stuff, basically you stretch it to make it stick and then when you are done you can simply cut it off and your chainstays will look good as new. You can buy it straight from them here: www.framewrap.com I got the 7' roll and it was more than enough to wrap both tubes.

Seattle drivers suck
    You can also try pipe wrap - for about $8 you get 100' and can find it in most hardware stores.

http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageID...paign=DATAFEED

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliath_2
    You can also try pipe wrap - for about $8 you get 100' and can find it in most hardware stores.

http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageID...paign=DATAFEED
    I think I have something similar to that. Does it only stick to itself? Ideally, I'd like to find something like that with an adhesive backing, so I can just stick a strip of it to the chainstay, instead of wrapping the whole thing.
    I've tried an adhesive backed foam strip from McMaster, but the first attempt wasn't durable enough of a foam.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa
    I think I have something similar to that. Does it only stick to itself? Ideally, I'd like to find something like that with an adhesive backing, so I can just stick a strip of it to the chainstay, instead of wrapping the whole thing.
    I've tried an adhesive backed foam strip from McMaster, but the first attempt wasn't durable enough of a foam.
    Adhesive backed Velcro is always popular. Generally the loop side... but the hook side works too.

Bryn uses a 3M tape that is pretty cool... sort of an adhesive moldable rubber tape. I will try to find out the specific type.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes
    Adhesive backed Velcro is always popular. Generally the loop side... but the hook side works too.

Bryn uses a 3M tape that is pretty cool... sort of an adhesive moldable rubber tape. I will try to find out the specific type.
    I've used loop side Velcro, worked ok, but not real quiet and durability was OK. You're probably underestimating my anal-ness.

That adhesive moldable rubber tape that Bryn is using sounds promising. Thanks for chiming in, and if you find the specs on that stuff, post it up. Thanks!

Seattle drivers suck
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa
    Nah, the stuff is adhesive-backed, just like regular electrical tape. You can use it to protect your DT as well if you shuttle with a truck. The stuff is cheap and works well. I usually wrap the stays in one layer of innertube and wrap over once with the pipe tape.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Is this the 3M stuff that Bryn is using: 3M™ Scotch-Seal™ Mastic Tape?

And, Goliath: that stuff also sounds promising.

mtbr member

My New TR450 Build

I finally got the new machine built up and have taken it on a few rides. (Bellingham,Squamish & Cypress)

A big thank you to Allen, Matty, and then Chris at DropnZone in Bellingham for there awesome service and deals! The custom paint is pretty wild and they hooked me up well. Check them out!

I have it in the middle slack/BB Height position. It really does corner well! The Fox RC4 rear shock is great at hitting everything you throw at it. It seems stable in the air and likes to jump. As others have mentioned it takes the rough areas with ease if you just lean back and wheelie over it. The rear end seems to just float over the bumps.
    It takes a bit to get used to after a steeper and higher bike but as long as you remember pedal position, it is OK.

Oh by the way, I use 3M Protective Tape on all the high wear areas on my frame and fork lowers. It works awesome. You scrape the heck out of the tape as it saves the paint and then just replace it the next season. You can pick this up at shops that deal 3M paint protector and if you ask nicely, you can usually get a strip of scrap for free. It is very expensive.
    Here is a link.
    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...otection/Film/

Here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official TR450 Thread!-5954bfdbcabd60a01274920107.jpeg.jpg  

Official TR450 Thread!-0184bfdbf4af1e5a1274920778.jpeg.jpg  

Official TR450 Thread!-1534bfdbf4be43e11274920779.jpeg.jpg  

Official TR450 Thread!-3454bfdbf4cd4bdf1274920780.jpeg.jpg  

Official TR450 Thread!-0114bfdbf4dc42901274920781.jpeg.jpg  

Official TR450 Thread!-7774bfdbf4eb680d1274920782.jpeg.jpg  

mtbr member
    and finally I got mine!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMedic
    I finally got the new machine built up and have taken it on a few rides. (Bellingham,Squamish & Cypress)

A big thank you to Allen, Matty, and then Chris at DropnZone in Bellingham for there awesome service and deals! The custom paint is pretty wild and they hooked me up well. Check them out!

I have it in the middle slack/BB Height position. It really does corner well! The Fox RC4 rear shock is great at hitting everything you throw at it. It seems stable in the air and likes to jump. As others have mentioned it takes the rough areas with ease if you just lean back and wheelie over it. The rear end seems to just float over the bumps.
    It takes a bit to get used to after a steeper and higher bike but as long as you remember pedal position, it is OK.

Oh by the way, I use 3M Protective Tape on all the high wear areas on my frame and fork lowers. It works awesome. You scrape the heck out of the tape as it saves the paint and then just replace it the next season. You can pick this up at shops that deal 3M paint protector and if you ask nicely, you can usually get a strip of scrap for free. It is very expensive.
    Here is a link.
    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...otection/Film/

Here are some pics.
    damn... wot a sick paint job..
    would u put some photo of that bike with mud allover it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    How did you guys get the adjustment shims out. I can't figure out how to do it. Aby help would be great thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Just got my TR450 in, it is friggin awesome!

What weights is everyone using for the spring on the rear shock? I weigh about 210-220 pounds but I'm not sure where to start with as far as spring weight goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Mines finally built up. Here are some pics. Just want to thank matty at Drop N Zone for all the the help and for the awesome paint job. Drop N Zone Rocks. Thanks again guys. Cheers

Build Specs:

Frame: Transition TR 450
    Fork: Rock Shox Race (Push Kit) (Upgrading to a 2010 Team soon)
    Rear Shock: Fox RC4
    Wheels: 09 Mavic Deemaxs
    Cranks: Saint M815-1 165mm
    Pedals: Straitlines
    Brakes: Avid Code 5's 203 Rotors F/R (Waiting for the 2011 Codes)
    Bars: Sunline VS One Low Rise (Longest ones they make)
    Stem: Sunline Direct Mount
    Seat: Funn Skinny RL
    Seat post: RaceFace Evolve DH
    Grips: ODI Ruffians with Transition Bar ends
    Headset: Cane Creek something something something (the one transition recommends)
    Shifter: Sram X9
    Derailleur: Sram X9 Short Cage
    Tires: High Rollers, Swamp Things, Or Muddy Marys depending on conditions
    Chainguide: E13 LG1+

Also another quick question. I've kinda already asked it but when you guys put in you shifter cable and housing did you run one big piece of cable and housing from the shifter through the rear swing arm to the derailleur? Seems like the only way to do it. Could be wrong though.Anyways cheers. Can't wait to break her in the weekend in pisgah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official TR450 Thread!-p4pb5130263.jpg  

Last edited by KrankedDH; 06-10-2010 at 09:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You need to run full length housing, only way to do it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadmos
    Just got my TR450 in, it is friggin awesome!

What weights is everyone using for the spring on the rear shock? I weigh about 210-220 pounds but I'm not sure where to start with as far as spring weight goes.
    Im your weight and I am using a 500lb spring right now and it feels great. Could sag a little more I think. I tried a 450lb spring as well and while I liked it, I felt that it sat down too far in the travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Awesome! Thanks.

I think I'll just order both of those weights and see which one suits me better. At least it is a starting point haha.

That is a steel spring you are using, right?

Here is mine. The white colour looks so plain compared to some of the awesome paint jobs in this thread. But either way, this bike rides like a dream and I'm not looking at it while I ride haha...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official TR450 Thread!-p4pb5118306.jpg  

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast