Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official TR450 Thread!

127K views 433 replies 115 participants last post by  paraskevas 
#1 · (Edited)
Time to show them off. Most should have reached the shops today or tomorrow. Mine had an issue come up with the build, but this is what mine looks like today. it'll be done in the morning. I'm just blown away with how beautiful this bike is. Pictures just don't give it justice.it's just breathtaking. Mine came out to 41. It may go down some but i'm not that worried about the weight

See less See more
#30 ·
Just got back from an afternoon of runs on the TR450. Daaaaaamn that thing is awesome. First couple of runs were slowish but the bike felt good, but then put the geo chip in the slackest\lowest setting and let rip. Still need to set the shock up a wee bit better for a sequence of harsh rocky hits on our local trails, but pushing the frame into corners and letting it slide to the outside feels brilliant. I'm not sure if the BB setting might be a bit too low, but I had no issues today. Feels like I'm getting all the travel out of the frame but no harsh bottom out yet, although there were only a couple of hard hits on the track I rode today.

#31 ·
My TR450 (red) arrives on Friday, definitely excited to start building.

I know the guys at Transition are on here from time to time, so if you are out there is there any chance you can tell us what happened to Bryn's rear axle at Thredbo this past weekend before any e-speculation starts?

#32 ·
dagmz6s said:
My TR450 (red) arrives on Friday, definitely excited to start building.

I know the guys at Transition are on here from time to time, so if you are out there is there any chance you can tell us what happened to Bryn's rear axle at Thredbo this past weekend before any e-speculation starts?
This is what I have heard...

His rear axle came loose and backed out to the point that it was no longer engaged in the nut. That put all the load into the axle where it passes through the swingarm which caused the alloy axle to break. Bryn admitted that he failed to do a bolt check on his bike, and in all likelihood he could probably feel his loose rear wheel during that qualifying run but chose to keep riding.

It is imprortant to always give your bike a quick once over before going for a ride. and even more so before a race. Especially critical parts like axles, pedals, brakes, handlebar, etc.

#34 ·
dagmz6s said:
That's pretty much exactly what I thought happened. Do you guys recommend light loc-tite (the blue stuff) on the compression bolt for the axle? do spare axles come with the nut as well?
Spare axles come with the nut, yes.

Blue loctite would be ideal for both the axle and the pinch bolt. Although grease would be acceptable for the end of the axle as well... threading it in dry would be a big no no.

#40 ·
The frames do not come with them. This has been covered already but the top is a drop-in style headset and the bottom is 1.5". I have a Cane Creek IS-3 top, XXc flush bottom, its the headset that transition is selling for the frames I believe.

Word of advice for anyone with a blue compression ring for the IS-3, swap it for a gold one. the gold ones are taller and you wont need to use the little shims.

#42 ·
toodles said:
Are the bearing sizes listed anywhere? I should have written them down when I assembled my bike but didn't.
The top bearing is a "cane creek" size integrated. 41mm OD with 36 degree inner taper and a 45 degree outer taper. FSA calls their bearing of the same size #873.

The bottom part of the HT is a standard 1.5 that will fit either zero stack or external reducer headsets. If you have the headset we sell for the frame then your top and bottom bearings are the same. Cup on the bottom and direct on the top.

#44 ·
Transition Bikes said:
The top bearing is a "cane creek" size integrated. 41mm OD with 36 degree inner taper and a 45 degree outer taper. FSA calls their bearing of the same size #873.

The bottom part of the HT is a standard 1.5 that will fit either zero stack or external reducer headsets. If you have the headset we sell for the frame then your top and bottom bearings are the same. Cup on the bottom and direct on the top.
Ah I meant in the frame sorry :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.