Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official TR450 Thread!

127K views 433 replies 115 participants last post by  paraskevas 
#1 · (Edited)
Time to show them off. Most should have reached the shops today or tomorrow. Mine had an issue come up with the build, but this is what mine looks like today. it'll be done in the morning. I'm just blown away with how beautiful this bike is. Pictures just don't give it justice.it's just breathtaking. Mine came out to 41. It may go down some but i'm not that worried about the weight

See less See more
#303 ·
nmpearson said:
yeah, they're the nevegal 2.35 dtc. i only flatted twice the whole season using them on my TR...light and stick amazing to the ground. and thrillseaker, the outlaw will probably only add 1/2-3/4 pound on my wheelset, so yours will be way light. I kinda want to get a Boxxer WC just to take off weight now
Those tires should come with a big asterisk: that's 2+ pounds lighter than what most people would consider "DH" tires.

But, that would put you at about 36.5 lbs with "DH" tires, which is still really light.

#304 ·
mtg7aa said:
Those tires should come with a big asterisk: that's 2+ pounds lighter than what most people would consider "DH" tires.

But, that would put you at about 36.5 lbs with "DH" tires, which is still really light.
Absolutely. Hell, I remember when 40lbs was nearly unachievable with any durability remaining...and that wasn't that long ago!

And I can't lie...~35 pounds is probably going to make me toss the single plys on once again just to see if I can change my own mind! Ha!

#305 ·
mtg7aa said:

Real dh tires? that's all up to what you argue is a real dh tire.
schwalbe muddy mary, maxxis, continental, kenda, geax...they all make tires on the under 1000g range that work very well with dh. I'm in utah and don't flat all that much on light tires. I just make sure to keep my tire pressure in check...and i have a scoop and a half of stans fluid in each tube just in case. i would probably move to a thicker tire if i flatted more, but for rolling weight and just not getting flats, i have an amazing setup

#307 ·
nmpearson said:
Real dh tires? that's all up to what you argue is a real dh tire.
schwalbe muddy mary, maxxis, continental, kenda, geax...they all make tires on the under 1000g range that work very well with dh. I'm in utah and don't flat all that much on light tires. I just make sure to keep my tire pressure in check...and i have a scoop and a half of stans fluid in each tube just in case. i would probably move to a thicker tire if i flatted more, but for rolling weight and just not getting flats, i have an amazing setup
Well...there's definately an absolute line between "real" DH tires and those that are not. I would never consider any foldable, single ply tire as DH worthy. Can you go downhill on them? Yes, but is it worth even the chance of having to stop half way down to fix a flat? That's a pretty major buzzkill.
I ride wire bead DH carcass Kendas(Telonix front/Excavator rear) with flyweight tubes and 20 psi. Everywhere. I've had one flat in 4 years and I had to drive 30 hours to Whistler and bomb down In Deep WAY too fast to get it. I've tried the single plys, I tried and tried the tubeless thing...until I weighed them and realized that a tire, half a tube, and Stan's weighs as much as a dh tire and an XC tube, and I don't burp Stans all over my brake rotors on hard hip jumps or landing all cacked. Ended up having to run 30psi with the Stans to keep the beads locked in, so there went any point in running the Stans anyway.
Plus there's the feel of a Sticky 2 ply not bouncing off small rocks and tree roots that makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over!
Just my opinion on the tire game.

#308 ·
thrillseeker said:
Well...there's definately an absolute line between "real" DH tires and those that are not. I would never consider any foldable, single ply tire as DH worthy. Can you go downhill on them? Yes, but is it worth even the chance of having to stop half way down to fix a flat? That's a pretty major buzzkill.
I ride wire bead DH carcass Kendas(Telonix front/Excavator rear) with flyweight tubes and 20 psi. Everywhere. I've had one flat in 4 years and I had to drive 30 hours to Whistler and bomb down In Deep WAY too fast to get it. I've tried the single plys, I tried and tried the tubeless thing...until I weighed them and realized that a tire, half a tube, and Stan's weighs as much as a dh tire and an XC tube, and I don't burp Stans all over my brake rotors on hard hip jumps or landing all cacked. Ended up having to run 30psi with the Stans to keep the beads locked in, so there went any point in running the Stans anyway.
Plus there's the feel of a Sticky 2 ply not bouncing off small rocks and tree roots that makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over!
Just my opinion on the tire game.
I had to retire the single ply Nevegals a few years back for these exact reasons. Nice and light but I was blowing them up all over the place. Your results may vary. But my dislike of the single-ply Kenda tires is not a dislike of ALL single ply tires.

The excavator is a vicious gripper, but I swear those things would roll to a stop going DOWN a slight grade. There has to be a middle ground.

The difference between a 900g and a 1050g tire can be amazing as long as it's all in the sidewalls. Better tubeless, better rim protection, just better. These Schwalbe "Freeride Casing" tires are allowing me to think I don't have to go full DH to get two-ply performance anymore. Maybe this will all change after a few weeks of charging, but I am optimistic.

#309 ·
JMH said:
I had to retire the single ply Nevegals a few years back for these exact reasons. Nice and light but I was blowing them up all over the place. Your results may vary. But my dislike of the single-ply Kenda tires is not a dislike of ALL single ply tires.

The excavator is a vicious gripper, but I swear those things would roll to a stop going DOWN a slight grade. There has to be a middle ground.

The difference between a 900g and a 1050g tire can be amazing as long as it's all in the sidewalls. Better tubeless, better rim protection, just better. These Schwalbe "Freeride Casing" tires are allowing me to think I don't have to go full DH to get two-ply performance anymore. Maybe this will all change after a few weeks of charging, but I am optimistic.
I do thing the muddy mary is a pretty good tire. I'd give that a run. For utah, minions do not hook up for me or any of my riding friends. we're the only group running nevegals. all of us run 2.35 dtc on our dh bikes and none of us flat that often. I refuse to use wtb after flatting every ride on them, and i'd like to try continental.

#310 ·
Well...my TR450 is "in transit". I friggin HATE waiting for new bikes.

TBC boys...if you REALLY wanna do something revolutionary, why don't you guys invent the Transition Teleporter, beam that shiz right to my doorstep. You could even play it off as Going Green as it saves fuels and we all win!
Wait...just beam me to the PNW and I'll come get it!

#311 ·
nmpearson said:
I do thing the muddy mary is a pretty good tire. I'd give that a run. For utah, minions do not hook up for me or any of my riding friends. we're the only group running nevegals. all of us run 2.35 dtc on our dh bikes and none of us flat that often. I refuse to use wtb after flatting every ride on them, and i'd like to try continental.
The UST 2.35 Nevegal is bomber with those brawny sidewalls, it's worth checking out, no complaints with that rubber at all. I also develop excellent flat-repair skills every time I use WTB tires. They could just as easily be called WTF in my opinion. Get it? WTF? Hahaha I kill me.

Okay, enough of this talk about unimportant things like tires, let's get back on track by looking at pics of Ti bolts and custom laser-etching:

Attachments

#313 ·
Damn! Is that the Deity DH saddle?? I didn't know/realize it was so thin. Wish it sat lower on the rails...looks like the seat has a body lift. hehe

I'm Cody, I'm the guy who just ordered the orange 450 with the Vivid Air. SHIP IT! Sorry...damn turettes kickin in again.

I need to do some spec checks...I'm wondering what the "new age" steel cranks weigh compared to like my MRP Cambers... But I think I actually like the new Atomlab cranks, asthtetics wise...just wish Deity made em! But I LOVE that sprocket. Looks clean.

#316 ·
Hey guys, so stoked on my new TR450 build, it wont be done for about a week, waiting on 1 more part,I love to see everybodys unique builds and of course everyone loves there build the most and for me mine is going to be perfect, dont wanna give to much away but some highlights will be boxxer w/c, raceface,straitline,hope,xo...........

#320 · (Edited)
I ordered my new 2011 TR450 a week ago. Tr. is currently out of stock on all 3 colors.
I ordered the Raw/Polished.

Here is my intended build:

Frame: Transition TR450 Frame - Size Large - Polished
Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 w/G3 Clean Sweep Disc Rotors
Cranks: Shimano Saint Cranks - 165mm
Chain Guide: E13 LG1+ - Black
Pedals: Sunline V-One Pedals
Seat Collar: Forte QR Seat Post Clamp - 34.9mm - Black
Fork: Fox 40 Fit RC2 - Black Lowers
Rear Shock: Fox DHX RC4 - 9.5x3.0
Grips: ODI Cross Trainer Grips - Black
Bars: ODI Handle bars - 750mm Wide - Black w/ 12.5mm extensions
Stem: Race Face Atlas Freeride Stem - Blue
F Tire: Schwalbe Muddy Mary - 26x2.5 - GG
R Tire: Schwalbe Muddy Mary - 26x2.35 - Triple
Chain: Sram PC51 Chain
Shifter: Sram X.0 Front Shifter
R Der: Sram X.0 Rear Derailleur - Short Cage - Black/Carbon
Cassette: Sram PG970 12-23t
Wheels: Custom Mavic 823 laced to Hope Bulb Hubs
Seat: SDG Ti Fly Seat - Black
Seat Post: Thomson 31.6mm Elite Seat Post - Black
Extras: THE Downtube Fender - Black

#326 ·

So the build consists of

frame -2011 TR 450
fork -2011 Boxxer world cup
shock -2011 fox rc 4, 400# ti spring
brakes -Avid elixir cr 8" rotors f+r
wheels -Mavic 823's,hope pro 2's, dt comp spokes & nips
cranks -Race face atlas, mrp G2 guide 36t chainring
bars -Race face atlas, and rf grips
stem -straitline
peddles -Nc 17 mg2's
seat - nuke proof ti rails
post -thompson elite w/straitline collar
- Xo shifter and short cage derailleur

Although i have the weight pic of 38.6 that was before the ti spring which is 180g less or .39lbs putting me at 38.21 lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.