Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004

Nomad to Patrol?

So I am on an N3 frame. Like carbon but it's not mind blowing. Also effing $$$. Looking at the patrol as a potential next bike. Anyone gone from carbon back to alloy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    So I am on an N3 frame. Like carbon but it's not mind blowing. Also effing $$$. Looking at the patrol as a potential next bike. Anyone gone from carbon back to alloy?

I went from a 2016 carbon stumpy to a 2016 aluminum riot and have regrets.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I went from a carbon enduro 29 to an alloy smuggler. No regrets. Transition builds stiff frames.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Went from a 2012 nomadc to a 2016 riot. I was not especially in the market for a carbon bike though. That was not a factor. I was more into the geometry of bikes I was looking at than build material.

mtbr member

Nomad to Patrol?

Yeah went from a carbon Specialized Camber Evo to a alloy Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    I went from an Ibis Mojo HD to an alloy Patrol and have zero regrets. Geometry and fit were far more important to me than the material used.
    I live in Denver but Minneapolis is home.
    2015 Transition Patrol
    2015 Transition TR500

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Nomad to Patrol?

I think you will notice the difference overall. Fit and geo are defo an important factor when buying a bike. However when you are talking about two good bikes which fit then it's a different story. Plus the ride of the patrol is compared by a lot as very similar. They will both give lots of confidence and stability in plowing through stuff, I would guess the patrol will feel a little more livery. I wouldn't drop from a carbon N3 to an alloy patrol though. My advice is drop the N3 for a carbon patrol 2015/2016 pre metric.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I agree that geo, fit suspension quality most important over material. That being said, all being equal better to have less weight. I've not owned a carbon Mtn Bike yet but it's coming- eventually, and I likely won't go back to alloy.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think money spent in carbon wheels is more intelligent than the frame. Rotational weight is where your legs are going to really feel the difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Overspending on carbon wheels isn't always the best answer. For example I've had the carbon E13 wheelset and they were great and I would rate them over Evne. A lot of the time carbon wheels can become almost fashion statements on bikes rather than paying for quality and performance. I'm going to grab some Nextie rims soon. Soon get them for 300 for rims plus hubs and spokes. Enduro mag did a long term review recently and highly rated them. My point is get the carbon frame and get rims as a sensible price and you will get the best all round performance. Don't forget carbon frames tend to be stiffer and have better absorption qualities than alloy, plus you have the weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I come from a Nomad 2C and have now a Patrol C.

Just buy the patrol...

mtbr member
    I went from a Scott Ransom carbon to a 2017 alloy Patrol. No regrets in terms of material choice... I actually prefer the ride feel of alloy.

mtbr member
    I transitioned (haha) from the Nomad to the Patrol, both carbon though. For me the extra money is well spent with the lighter weight, and better cable management. Material preference aside, for me the Patrol is a much better bike. The sizing is a lot better, Santa Cruz bikes run too small. Climbing isn't quite as efficient in the open mode but it's not hard to reach down and hit the lever for some pedal platform. Even though the bike is less travel I am faster and more comfortable at speed on Patrol. Jumping and changing lines is way easier on the Patrol, and the bike covers a wider range of trails.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by <Steven> View Post
    I went from a Scott Ransom carbon to a 2017 alloy Patrol. No regrets in terms of material choice... I actually prefer the ride feel of alloy.
    interesting. i had a straight talk with the owners of Transition and they said that there was little to no discernible difference in ride feel or stiffness between the materials. it was a weight and demand thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Late to this thread, but keep in mind the new Nomad is due out in a few months, I keep hearing July. The value of the N3 will go down pretty quickly afterwards, either letting you get a good deal after it's released or losing out if you buy now.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm about to take this plunge, N3 to Patrol Carbon. Will report my findings...

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by A_street View Post
    I think money spent in carbon wheels is more intelligent than the frame. Rotational weight is where your legs are going to really feel the difference.
    Yep, if you like wasting money....