Bandit 29 FTW!!!

No Bandit 29's to demo anywhere in Texas...WTF!?!

I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I went to the Transition website and could only find one dealer in Texas. Unfortunately this guy is small time and doesn't keep ANY bikes on the floor and is hardly ever in his shop because he's out riding all the time.

This past six months I've really developed a hard on for these Bandit 29's and want to caress one. I emailed Transition and they were no help what-so-ever. The guy who contacted me said that there were three places to buy Bandits in Austin, an hour and a half away...no biggie, but they didn't have any in stock. I emailed him back to get their numbers and never got another response.

Anyone here in Texas within a couple of hours from San Antonio with a medium Bandit 29 I can ride?

Why no Texas love Transition...WHY...!!!???
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    You might try posting in the ******bag, I mean Voodoo forum on Bike Mojo, or Try the Raspa forum for SA peeps.

Austin Bike Farm is a Transition Dealer, but I haven't see a Bandit in there, the owner (Owen) is building up a Covert. Might be worth a try contacting him. Austin Bicycle Farm - Bike buy sell trade new and used parts, emergencies too!

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hunrugger View Post
    You might try posting in the ******bag, I mean Voodoo forum on Bike Mojo, or Try the Raspa forum for SA peeps.

Austin Bike Farm is a Transition Dealer, but I haven't see a Bandit in there, the owner (Owen) is building up a Covert. Might be worth a try contacting him. Austin Bicycle Farm - Bike buy sell trade new and used parts, emergencies too!
    Thanks for the info...

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    My worry is that if they won't even respond to my email asking as to where I can buy one...what's their CS gonna be like after the sale?

Tester of Gravity
    Jun 2012
    Can't speak to your email situation, but you do know that the company is legendary for it's cs support, right? I got great support via email, but maybe give them a call?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think there are only a few frames left for sale out of this years run.

I think the guys at Transitions have just been really busy with demo days and the new covert frame, etc. Plus, you gotta give them some time to get out on the trails.

If I were them, living in the NW during the summer, I'd spend as little time as possible in the office and the balance out riding and getting dirty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I spoke to the guys at Transition a couple of weeks ago and there aren't any XLs left unless there are some floating round at dealers. Next drop will be October.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    You are looking at a growing brand and one of, if not, our most popular models. Our dealer network is growing but it has not kept up with the consumer interest in our products. I wish we had more dealers in Texas, more everywhere really. But with the extreme demand for the Bandit 29 it is going to be hard to find a dealer anywhere that has one in stock for demo. It has just been TOO popular.

We are here to help you on the phones, emails and this forum... so any questions you have we can help you out. But realistically speaking we are not Specialized and we don't have a shop in every city. We are trying though!

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    You are looking at a growing brand and one of, if not, our most popular models. Our dealer network is growing but it has not kept up with the consumer interest in our products. I wish we had more dealers in Texas, more everywhere really. But with the extreme demand for the Bandit 29 it is going to be hard to find a dealer anywhere that has one in stock for demo. It has just been TOO popular.

We are here to help you on the phones, emails and this forum... so any questions you have we can help you out. But realistically speaking we are not Specialized and we don't have a shop in every city. We are trying though!
    Please...for the love of God, don't become a "Specialized" company. I prefer to pick up the phone and not talk to an automated system.

Although I still am a little frustrated that I can't see one here in Texas I just couldn't stay mad at you too long. I am planning a trip to Colorado next week and have located a dealer in Grand Junction who will have one there for me to ride. Now if you wanted to have make-up sex in the form of...let's say...$100 credit toward a frame it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    Please...for the love of God, don't become a "Specialized" company. I prefer to pick up the phone and not talk to an automated system.

Although I still am a little frustrated that I can't see one here in Texas I just couldn't stay mad at you too long. I am planning a trip to Colorado next week and have located a dealer in Grand Junction who will have one there for me to ride. Now if you wanted to have make-up sex in the form of...let's say...$100 credit toward a frame it wouldn't hurt my feelings.
    Not sure about make up sex... but good, glad you found somewhere. Grassroots is a great dealer.

And to be clear, I was only talking about Specialized in terms of their huge dealer network. Happy that we can talk directly with people when they call, and all the great stuff that comes with being a small company.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Limited availability is a pitfall of choosing to buy from a smaller company. But it's a pitfall well worth dealing with.

Also, you may have noticed a completely lack of disappointed reviews on the Bandit 29. It's not exactly a gamble to buy one sight-unseen, as long as you have an idea of what size you need.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    Limited availability is a pitfall of choosing to buy from a smaller company. But it's a pitfall well worth dealing with.

Also, you may have noticed a completely lack of disappointed reviews on the Bandit 29. It's not exactly a gamble to buy one sight-unseen, as long as you have an idea of what size you need.
    I agree for the most part. It was the sexy look that got my attention. Their constant good reviews are what's sealing the deal. I may be 26" free by the end of the summer....maybe!?!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My LBS is a Transition dealer and I've never seen a Transition in stock. But I see them delivering them all the time... I had to buy my Bandit 29 sight unseen, and I was merely happy that they were able to get me one from Transition, having one in stock for a demo would be an oddity anywhere given the supply vs. demand of these this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah... the only Bandit29 i had a chance to ride, in a parking lot, was the personal trail thrasher bike of one of the guys at the LBS.

The bandits are HOT... can't keep em in stock! G'damn!

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    My LBS is a Transition dealer and I've never seen a Transition in stock. But I see them delivering them all the time... I had to buy my Bandit 29 sight unseen, and I was merely happy that they were able to get me one from Transition, having one in stock for a demo would be an oddity anywhere given the supply vs. demand of these this year.
    My LBS (the previously mentioned Grassroots) stocks a few TR frames (currently TR250's and Coverts) but rarely stocks completes other than shop demos. TR orders are sold before they even get to the shop! They do keep a healthy stock of demo bikes including S,M,L Bandit; M, L, B29; and a number of others. Not to mention, if you want to ride a TR model or size that they don't have on the floor, chances are that one of the employees or shop riders has one they'd be happy to let you ride so long as you don't scratch the stanchions.

eci
    Why not hook up with grassroots cycles in junction. Fly out there for a weekend ($513 roundtrip on expedia) Test the bike you want and buy it from them?

You will get some of the best riding in Colorado

On one of the Best bikes produced by a US company

Sounds like a win win to me

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz View Post
    Why not hook up with grassroots cycles in junction. Fly out there for a weekend ($513 roundtrip on expedia) Test the bike you want and buy it from them?

You will get some of the best riding in Colorado

On one of the Best bikes produced by a US company

Sounds like a win win to me
    I've already talked to Matt at Grassroots and gave him the dates we will be in town. It's a bit out of the way but he said one of his guys would let me ride their medium B29. I'll have my 2011 Stumpy with me to compare. May leave with at least a frame and fork to get me started.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    I've already talked to Matt at Grassroots and gave him the dates we will be in town. It's a bit out of the way but he said one of his guys would let me ride their medium B29. I'll have my 2011 Stumpy with me to compare. May leave with at least a frame and fork to get me started.
    Good Stuff, NyoGrill. I am crazy busy this week (getting ready for a 3 week tour to BC and the PNW ) but if you are down for an early morning tour, I'd be more than happy to show you some of the finer link-ups in the valley. PM me if interested and have fun out there! Maybe I'll see you at the shop. There is a Black B29 there with your name on it.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by karatemonkey View Post
    Good Stuff, NyoGrill. I am crazy busy this week (getting ready for a 3 week tour to BC and the PNW ) but if you are down for an early morning tour, I'd be more than happy to show you some of the finer link-ups in the valley. PM me if interested and have fun out there! Maybe I'll see you at the shop. There is a Black B29 there with your name on it.
    Dude...!!! are you the guy who came in eating ice cream? If so you pretty much sealed the deal for Matt.

Man, what a great experience. Thanks to the guys at Grassroots in Grand Junction. Unfortunately We were just there for a few hours but I plan on going back to try out some of the trails once I get my bike built.

I took the bike for a test ride around downtown and OH-MY-GOD!!! The shocks, front and rear were buttery smooth. Felt really nimble and responsive. The guys at the shop were brutally honest and were split about 60/40 in favor of the 26" for aggressive riding. Still, after riding it for a little while I was convinced to give it a try. I did get a chance to test ride a Yeti SB95 earlier in the week in Gunnison but felt too high in the saddle.

I ended up buying a frame and fork. Another bonus was that I ended up getting the 2013 shocks with the frame and fork with the CTD feature.

I can't wait to get my frame and fork in so I can start buying parts.