Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Newb here building up a Scout, have some stupid & trivial questions

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  BobbyLight350z 
#1 ·
Nabbed a Blue/Black Scout frame off pinkbike, super excited! It is in the mail now and I am starting to look at components. I have never built up a bike before so have some questions.

-What specifications do I need to look for when ordering a fork? I want a 150mm Pike RCT3 solo air to start with and may change to 140mm later. What matters when looking at those as far as offset, steer tube, etc. Would this one work? 2015 Rock Shox Pike RCT3 Soloair 150 Black Taper 15mm 27 5 650B Fork | eBay

-For the dropper post, I know I need a ~31.6, and being 5'8 on a medium I am guessing 125mm. What is this other measurement I am seeing? the total length? What will fit on the scout?

Also, I am guessing the seatclamps are sold in actual size right? As in, the scout uses 34.9 clamp for the 31.6 post.

Lastly, what products/companies have you seen personally that closely match the same cyan blue the scout has? For instance I am looking at these 2 seatpost clamps and not sure which will be closer in person,

Anyone have experience or other recommendations? Also for blue grips, thoughts on ODI's light blue?

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
The medium only has 419mm of seat tube so a 150mm dropper may work. My 150mm KS Integra is about 200mm from the collar to the top of the saddle rails. My 150 Reverb is about 215mm. I believe that 42mm is the standard offset for 27.5 Pikes.

#3 ·
Yes that fork will work. Tapered steer tube is what you need.

I had a Rockshox Reverb Stealth 125mm on my large Scout and at 5'11" could have gone with the 150mm easily. So something in the 125mm range would probably be good. When you see 125mm or 150mm that's how much the post drops, not overal length. The total length can be in the 380mm to 420mm range. You'll have to choose what brand dropper you want, and if you want internal or external routing.

Seat clamp looks like you have it figured out.

It will be hard to match the blue completely, but most blue is close enough. This was mine before I sold it.

Such a fun bike......enjoy!

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

#5 ·
One more thing, I am ordering XT brakes off CRC for a scout. What are brake "spares" and do I need them? Options are "Mount adapter Front Post to IS", "Front Post to Post", and Rear Post to IS". Also, do I have to buy Pads or cables or hoses? Or is that included with the calipers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.