Thread: Need opinion

How much further ???

Need opinion

So this year I got into endurance racing here in Arizona. Ive ridden over 700 miles and 100,000 ft of climbing in the months of August though December 2013, alone. My three endurance races (50 miles 8000ft climbing, 46 miles 5000 ft climbing, and 65 miles 7000 ft climbing) and half of my training was all done on my 2013 TransAM 29er. The other half of my training was split with my Rocky Mountain Slayer to share some of the load.

So while I havent had an overly difficult time on the TransAM for 9 hour rides in rocky AZ I do find myself thinking how a FS would be nice at times. The Slayer is obviously too much for such an event and while an extremely fun bike to ride I dont find myself riding the terrain that requires such a bike anymore. (i.e. bike parks, big drops etc) On the other hand, although Im getting into the endurance race thing, I still like to ride aggressive especially on the down. I like to carve turns and really try to use my brakes as little as possible and dont mind leaving the ground from time to time as long as the distance measured off the ground is in inches and not feet. I like the slacker HA's especially in the rocky technical sections.

So limiting myself to Transition for this discussion Covert 29 vs Bandit 29. Is 140mm really needed for endurance racing? If you are riding for 9 hours any weight off the bike is welcome so Im not sure the Covert is the right bike. But.... at 195lbs and aggressive the steeper HA of the Bandit turns me off slightly and I can see my Fox 32 flexing on the TransAm.

What about a Fox 34 140mm on the Bandit?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    seems that a little longer travel fork on the bandit has been enjoyed by most of the bandit riders. also i believe the bandit will take an angleset headset to slacken it out. I know from watching some videos a lot of the transition guys like the bandit for the longer races. I would watch some enduro world series and see if that terrain matches what you will be riding. The EWS has some really technical decents where 150-160mm of travel is nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you primarily looking at it for endurance (marathon) events then i think the Bandit is the only option. As far as travel is concerned 140mm would be plenty. i wouldn't imagine you would see too many 140mm travel bikes riding marathon events.

The steeper head angle of the bandit would greatly improve the comfort and pedalling position during your rides especially when they start getting long.

can't comment on the 140mm fork but the factory option of fox 34 130mm travel looks ample for the type of riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TamiJean View Post
    seems that a little longer travel fork on the bandit has been enjoyed by most of the bandit riders. also i believe the bandit will take an angleset headset to slacken it out. I know from watching some videos a lot of the transition guys like the bandit for the longer races. I would watch some enduro world series and see if that terrain matches what you will be riding. The EWS has some really technical decents where 150-160mm of travel is nice.
    i don't think he was talking about "enduro" but if he was you can disregard my comments.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ah i read "endurance" racing so that what my mind ran too.

mtbr member
    I have a Transam and a current Bandit 29. In the past I had the original Bandit 29 with longer travel, and a Covert. I live in AZ, and I ride up as much as down but I favor the down and try to get as "aggressive" as possible. So all that said, my thoughts:

Weight, geometry, and linkage wise, the Covert is a definite jump in the "all mountain" direction. I think the Bandit would be better for long endurance races. Originally I ran the 32 120mm Float and I could feel it flex a little, too. I just put a 34 130mm Float on it and it feels more aggressive and sturdy but I don't feel like I lost much if anything on the uphills. Not sure if I would do 140mm on that or not, just because of the bottom bracket and head angle. But 130 feels great. How long is your stem? A short stem can do a lot to change the feel of the head angle. Calling Transition and getting their thoughts has always been fruitful for me. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'd look at the 2014 Bandit 29 and run the fork either 130 or 140mm with a shorter stem wide bars. I have a 2013 and it can climb up and haul ass down. It probably won't be as aggressive on the downs like the covert, but it is a good mix of both.