mtbr member
    Apr 2006

My Bandit 29 ate it's rear derailleur cable

I am not sure how this happened...?

Today I was riding- at the moment of the incident, I wasn't going particularly fast- and suddenly had to stop because for a quick second it felt like a stick got caught in my chain or derailleur.

I look down, and see no signs of sticks, so I almost start to pedal, until I notice suddenly that my rear derailleur cable was caught in my front chainrings. Then I get off the bike, and notice that it actually had wrapped around my crank spindle at least one full pedal stroke! So it was seriously in there.

I manage to get it out, and it was obviously effed. But I also noticed that my front derailleur cable was pulled to some extent too- it still shifted fine, but the cable was yanked on with enough force that it loosened my shifter from it's matchmaker mount.

I saw no signs of shredded up sticks or anything- and my LBS did a flawless job with cable routing and lengths.

Any idea how this could happen? I am stumped, lol.

mtbr member
    If you ran the rear cable through the chainstay tunnel you would of needed to put a zip tie through a small threaded hole to hold the cable away from the teeth, the zip tie may of come loose.

I've got no idea how it could of affected the front cable though o.O
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    It sounds like there was no ziptie securing the cable to the chainstay. That, or the ziptie broke and released the cable to be snagged by your granny gear.
    Maintain internal heights.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I will have to double check what my LBS does when he redoes it. It seemed nice and tidy when he first built it up- he said he did it per what Transition recommended.

Oh, I should have added, I have an MRP 2.X. My LBS's theory is that the combination of the cable routing and the 2.X may have caused the cable to get caught on the top part of the 2.X when the suspension compressed, which then caused it to get swung onto the chainring. He said he will reexamine the way he routed it before and see if there isn't a better way to do it.

mtbr member
    I had my front chain "chain suck" really badly I think it was due to a dirty unlubed chain. It did leave a gouge in the cable housing and frame. Could that be what happened- the chain yanking the cable into the chain rings??? prob not. It sounds like the zip tie in the area was missed
    I'm [SIZE="4"]GNARcissistic[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    LBS was very cool about it- he said he honestly couldn't remember if he used the ziptie (I can't either), so he didn't charge me just in case he forgot. This time ziptie was used- I will update if it happens again, just in case it is the 2.X. I hope not, as I like that guide so far

mtbr member
    So on a night ride last night the zip tie holding the cable broke and the same exact thing happened to me. Luckily it grabbed just part of the cable and made a bit of noise before I pulled the whole cable out. I flipped the bike over and saw the zip tie broken open. I'm considering a ligature wire instead of a zip tie for reliability. I had a large zip tie to jerry rig stuff and got down the mountain without incident. I'll post some pics later

mtbr member

Don't be alarmed

The first pic is my on the trail fix which got me down the mountain it was only then that I pedaled and twisted up the wires of the rear cables which I knew might happen. I really looks worst than it was. Initially there were only a few housing wires caught and raised up. So can anyone tell me in the last photo is how you should place the zip tie correctly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Bandit 29 ate it's rear derailleur cable-p2ebay-010.jpg  

My Bandit 29 ate it's rear derailleur cable-p2ebay-013.jpg  

My Bandit 29 ate it's rear derailleur cable-p2ebay-015.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    there should be two holes in the chainstay, one above the one you can see in the last photo. i have mine through the top one, around the cable and out the bottom one and done up behhind. i also have a bit of frame protection where the outer goes over the bb as this area was starting to show wear.
    that sure is a mess

mtbr member

Cable tie alternative solution

I learned a little trick a while back from Wade Simmons in a article which is a zip tie loop that you can use to stabilize der and shift cables, usually through frame pivots that are hollow. From the pics you can see the zip tie around the der cable and run back through the same hole. It's pretty useful in this application, the zip tie head prevents the tie from pulling through. I added the white tie for a back up incase one fails. The stock tie was really tiny, I think these larger zips will be more durable. Also the pass-through method really snugs the cable away from the chainrings.
    Loving the bikes so much. It really begs to be ridden, I've gone from riding once a week to 3-4 and my climbing is getting faster and faster which is great for a guy like me who used to despise climbing. Now I challange myself every climb to run a higher gear. I come from a DH background and I still havent found the limits of the Bandit...

Oh, my chain stay only has one hole
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Bandit 29 ate it's rear derailleur cable-chainstay-zip-004.jpg  

My Bandit 29 ate it's rear derailleur cable-chainstay-zip-003.jpg  

My Bandit 29 ate it's rear derailleur cable-chainstay-zip-006.jpg  

My Bandit 29 ate it's rear derailleur cable-chainstay-zip-007.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^ Awesome tip with the zip tie. Just redid one of the zip ties on the rear der. housing on the Stinky and it looks much cleaner with less slack as well.