mtbr member
    May 2010

Main pivot bearings on Smuggler

Hi has any replaced there bearings on there Smuggler how do remove
    the old bearings with the spacer in between them?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
    Hi has any replaced there bearings on there Smuggler how do remove
    the old bearings with the spacer in between them?
    I'd like to know this too. I just took apart all of my pivots, cleaned and torqued them to get rid of a creak. This pretty much solved it except for when I'm mashing up something steep or technical. I think the last bit of un-desirable noise is coming from the sealed bearings in the main pivot; they seem to have gone bad. When I had the pivot apart, they felt really catchy, like there was no grease left in them.

Has anyone else experienced this? Love the bike, but it does seem to creak more often than other companies...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah unfortunately it seems as if a few crappy bearings got past QC, with that said adding a little grease will go a long way. As for removing the main bearings where the spacer is view this http://www.transitionbikes.com/PDF/2...w_Smuggler.pdf exploded view and you can see that the spacer has notches on it, use a small flat head and place it through the frame onto the bearing via the notches and punch it out the remove the spacer and knock out the other side. Just don't forget to put the spacer back in when you are reinstalling your bearings !

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My '15 Smuggler is creaking like no tomorrow.. It's driving me nuts! I've located the creak to the main pivot, probably the bearings are gone. Maybe this is a stupid question but how do I take the main pivot apart? I've taken off parts 22 & 23 but what then? Looking at this picture it looks like the axle (part nr. 9) is threaded. So do I need to unscrew it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ok it was a stupid question The second taper nut was a bit stuck and when I got that out I just unthreaded the main axle.

The bearings were totally busted.. Replaced them with Enduro LLU MAX, hopefully they last a lot longer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yep, I upgraded to Enduro MAX (full complement) bearings on my Scout and agree that the quality is much better. Would be surprised if I didn't get at least twice the lifespan out of them.