Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lets see those blindside v5's!

24K views 70 replies 18 participants last post by  PiroChu 
#1 · (Edited)
Starting with mine, got a great deal on a new 2011 raw medium and just finished building it up:
Rockshox domain RC 180
halo combat rims/Transition,Hope hubs (built by me), spec. Butcher 2.5" tires
saint brakes
slx cranks, 2 x 9 drivetrain
35 mm raceface stem, answer dh handlebar
38 lbs, i think.

Built it up as more of a long-travel, heavy duty do-anything bike i can climb to the top, than a dh-only rig. Which I think is Transition's intention with the current iteration of this frame. Took it out for a spin today, kept it mellow as im still getting over a bad cold and still feeling out of it. Considering how plush the suspension is on the dh, Im surprised by how well it pedals, at least as good as the '08 Bullit (cracked rear triangle) it replaced. But this bike is lower and slacker:thumbsup: Glad to join the transition family, I think I made a good choice.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I've seen one BS on my local XC trails (only a few trails are suited to it & even then, the BS is more bike than needed) owned by a rider who was from out-of-town. I was amazed at how much more burly it looks in person than the pics online. He said his bike was 40lbs...

#6 · (Edited)
Nice, guys! I'm seriously considering one right now (2012/raw/small).
Though I'm usually not the one to count the pounds, it's amazing that you guys came out 36~38lbs. My v.1 BR weighs 40lbs. Moving almost everything over, I think I'll end up at 40lbs again, 'cause the frame+shock weights are pretty much the same (about 10lbs).

PS.
If anyone got an '12 model with 142mm x 12mm, please let me know if you can use rear Maxle.

#7 ·
travel option

By the way, just to reconfirm, v5/2011 has the same travel option as 2012 (7"/7.5"), not as v4/2010 (6.7"/7.5"), right?

Also, how exactly does the "chip" for travel option work? Is it top/longer vs bottom/shorter option?

#8 ·
mines a vf5/2011 aqnd its 7/7.5. i run it in the 7" mode witha 7" fork, too many pedal strikes in the 7.5". if i ever run a dc fork ill switch the travel. the lower hole is the 7", and its written on the chip. the difference bw 2011/2012 is the rear dropout option, but i forget the specifics.

#10 · (Edited)
7"-travel & 135mm/QR

the difference bw 2011/2012 is the rear dropout option
On that note, what do you guys on v5/2011 think about a 135mm x 10mm QR rear axle for a 7"-travel frame? Is it adequate for a 7"-travel frame & for where it's designed to be ridden? :confused:

It's just that I've never had any frames more than 5"~6"-travel before, and I've never had anything but a 135mm/QR axle, either; hence my asking.:blush: Considering my 5.55"-travel v1 BR is with 135mm/QR, and I've not had any issues sending it. So, just wondering about it when it becomes 7"-travel.

The v5/2011 currently on closeout at $1,359/USD is certainly attractive. In contrast, the $1,599/USD 2012 ("v6"?) comes with 142mm x 12mm thru-axle dropouts (right & left) by default. It has an option to go 135mm x 10mm QR, but you have to purchase additional dropouts separately from their online store. ($30/right + $30/left = $60.) Swapping '12 chainstays on '11 frame later isn't allowed.

Planning to place an order by the end of this week, and just trying to close in on remaining thoughts. (Thanks for all your comments helping me out here.)

#9 · (Edited)
zero-stack bottom headset: Will Totem's Mission Control adjuster knob hitt downtube?

I'm also thinking about a Totem coil for it (still shopping/browsing for an used one) and a Cane Creek 40-series headset. If I end up with a tapered steertube, the bottom headset will be EC49 (1.5"; 12mm/height) only. If I end up with a 1-1/8" steertube, the bottom headset can be EC49 (Conversion; 12mm/height) or ZS49 (1-1/8"; 4mm/height).

I think ZS top/bottom setup would give a pretty clean look (just like my current BottleRocket, or sorta like firevsh2o's pix above but without the angle offset), while the 8mm stack height difference only affecting maybe about 1/3 of a degree(?) at most if any. But what I'm concerned with ZS/bottom is whether Totem's Mission Control adjuster knob will hit the downtube or not...? (I've heard/read about this before about Totem here & there.) :confused:

Anyone has any ideas/guesses on that? Thanks.

#13 ·
DHX RC4 setup tips w/ Blindside

I just got my small/raw delivered today. Can't start building it yet (fork not yet arrived), but just wanted to see what you guys are doing with shock setup on v5 Blindside with DHX RC4 as a starting-point reference.

No bottom-out turns?
air/.psi = rider weight/lbs (eg. 165psi/air = 165lbs/rider)
etc.

#22 ·
RC4 setup

...what you guys are doing with shock setup on v5 Blindside with DHX RC4 as a starting-point reference.
I just had 2 test rides (one All-Mtn, then one FR), and this is what I got so far...

* sag with 400lbs spring: 0.59"/2.75"=21.6%
* bottom out force adjust boost valve: 150psi
* bottom out progressivness: 0 turns
* low-speed compression: 7 clicks in (from fully open)
* high-speed compression: 0 click in (from fully open)
* rebound: 7 clicks in (from fully open)
* spring preload: 1 turn

Started off at 140psi, and went up to 150psi. (I can also try 160psi, just for the heck of it.) I have no high-speed compression. Fox online reads to have HS as low as possible without bottoming. Well, I sorta got that, but wasn't quite expecting to get that with 0 clicks, though... Will play around on HS a bit next ride.

Also, here's just to share some info I found on Google search...

Someone on PinkBike put together some good general suspension-setup info...
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide... - Pinkbike Forum

Within that thread, there's a link to this Fox DHX (Air) info...
DHX Air Tech
... which has great pop-up info of (a) "Boost 101" info, and (b) "Bottom Out Control".
---> Check out the 2nd & 4th page of (b), which shows the bottom-out-force curves!!

Also, I found this shock setup info for Evil Revolt 8" DH bike...
http://www.silverfish-uk.com/cms-files/resources/79-7406cdc6994b298307e1454415e49c45.pdf
... in which it reads that boost psi "will change the starting point of bottom end ramp"!!

Just as another setup reference point, I found this for Trek Scratch (170mm) bike...
http://www.trekbikes.com/pdf/2010/suspension/scratch.pdf
... which recommends 160psi (vs 130psi for Revolt).

Just called Fox, and confirmed that above is true (about the starting point). He also said that the above curve is for bottom-out only (influenced by turns & psi). For high-speed compression, he explained that the curve/line is separately on a different graph, and it looks horizontal, going up/down vertically with compression clicks. I told the Fox guy about my zero HS compression, and he said nothing wrong with it as long as I like the feel (which I do). Called Transition, and they said I should be using a bit of compression dampening (w/ lighter coil), and also said that my sag is a bit low for Blindside. Fox says one can reach the same results from both directions ("lighter spring & more compression" vs "heavier spring & less compression").

#14 · (Edited)
2011/v5 Blindside: just out of box

So, my 2011/v5 Blindside (small/raw) just arrived today. I don't get to start building it for a few more days until the fork arrives, but it's super cool. (It really is just like a bigger brother of my 2007/v1 BottleRocket small/raw, which is exactly what I wanted.)

Though I usually like the 'naked' look (no stickers on my raw BR), I really like these silver-logo stickers on the raw Blindside. :thumbsup: I think I'll keep 'em on this time.

Some numbers from my scales...
- The 2011/v5 Blindside small frame weighs 7lbs 14oz (incl., drlr hanger, shock bolts, cable guides).
- The 2011 Fox DHX RC4 Coil (incl. reducers) with a 400#x2.80" coil spring (405g) weighs 857g.
- The package weighs 9lbs 12oz.

Super-stoked! That's it for now. More pix later (upon finish building). ;)
- PiroChu

Attachments

#15 ·
nice! cant wait to see it built up. Now i have a rockshox vivid on mine; with the rc4 I had a #400 spring in the 7" setting (i weigh #215 geared up), had the bottom out just shy of 2 turns in and about 165 psi, and rebound 4-5 clicks out from fully closed, seemed to work well. IMO, the Vivid really made the suspension come alive, with more square-edge bump compliance and better rebound tuning, but at the expense of pedaling.

#16 ·
faced BB & headtube?

Did you guys get the BB shell & headtube faced, before installing BB & headset? If not, any issues with BB/headset aligning or creaking so far? Just wondering (& "practically" speaking) if I should get that done at a shop first, or just start building as-is.

#20 ·
my v5/2011 Blindside (raw, small): 40lbs 10oz

Just finished building it all up last night, and finally here are some pix.

Mine came out to be 40lbs 10oz (which is 6oz heavier than my BR per fork difference).

Thanks again for all your feedback/answers here for my Blindside journey. I can't wait to take it out this weekend! :thumbsup:
- PiroChu

Attachments

#21 ·
very nice! cant wait to het a totem on mine. the polished lowers look so good with the polished frame. Btw, you asked me about my derailleur setting.. its also mounted just a hair higher than the lowest it can go. What cranks are those?

#27 · (Edited)
setup

Hi dwyooaj,

Congrats on scoring a Totem for your Blindside. :thumbsup: (color? pic?) What spring did you put inside? (By the way, RockShox confusingly changed spring colors a few years back, grrr... :nono: )

So I have an old 50mm Diabolus stem on my Blindside (a carry-over from BottleRocket).

Though the geometry numbers are different on paper, I seem to quickly get used to (or I just don't notice?) and the new Blindside/small comfortably feels pretty much like my BottleRocket/small.

My suspension setup is still left on a "stiff" side (I know ;) ), and glad I kept my shock/fork as such, especially at Black Rock. (By the way, I'm 150lbs/me + 15lbs/gear = 160lbs/total.)

['11 RC4] (at 7"-travel setup)
bottom out force adjust boost valve: 150psi
bottom out progressivness: 0 of 4 turns
low-speed compression: 7 of 17 clicks
high-speed compression: 0 of 12 clicks
rebound: 7 of 13 clicks
spring preload: 1 turn
sag with 400lbs spring: 0.59"/2.75"=21.5% :skep:

['09 Totem]
low-speed compression: 0 of 16 clicks
rebound: 10 of 16 clicks
FloodGate: removed
spring: medium/blue for 160~180lbs (part#: 11.4015.135.000)
sag: 30mm/180mm = 16.7% :skep:

Also, I'm just coming off a 5.5" BottleRocket (not some 8" DH rig), so I kinda want my Blindside to feel/pedal similar (though the RC4 feels plenty plush for me). I admit that Totem feels a bit stiff at the very-beginning stroke, but it seems to meet my bottom-out needs just right.

I'm taking it to a bike park (Northstar) this weekend, so I'll see how it does on DH (though I'm not much of a DH guy at all :blush: ).

Cheers,
- PiroChu

PS.
I just put 185mm rotor on rear, Easton Havoc seatpost (same as what I had on BottleRocket, but different size), silver Salsa Flip-Lock QR collar (instead of black - purely for looks, I know :blush: ). The rest is still the same.

#28 ·
piro, which travel setting are you running? fyi heres my setup:

35 mm Diabolous stem
also recently put on shorter cranks (170 mm) and superthin pedals (Ht ae01)

my weight geared up: 215-220
rockshox Vivid (in 7" setting): #400 spring, 10 clicks of beginning-stroke rebound, 4 clicks of ending-stroke rebound, 3 of compression. sag: 13/16", or 30%. Firm dropstop bumper.

Totem with a firm spring, no preload spacers, both compressions full open, 12 clicks of rebound. Still feels a little too firm, but I just cant believe a med spring would be right. sag is about 30 % when I kinda lean over the front. I thought the totem would feel a little more linear, just gotta get used to it I guess. today I finally took had a chance to take it out on some bigger chunk (no big drops tho) and it felt pretty good; didnt get into the last 3/4" of travel so thats about right (so thats still there for the bigger stuff).

#29 ·
piro, which travel setting are you running? ..... Totem with a firm spring ..... Still feels a little too firm
I'm running the 7"-travel setup. I used this spring calculator that I've always found to be spot-on with all my past frames.
http://forums.mtbr.com/canadian-bikes/mountain-bike-spring-rate-calculator-v4-0-a-8200.html
The default rear-wheel bias is populated as '60', and I always used that. If I use that, I'm for a 350# spring. However, Sam/Transition said to put '65' rear-wheel bias for Blindside on this calculator (I sent it to him to try), and that gave me a 400# spring (which is what I have).

I totally agree that the Totem feeling pretty stiff. I have a med spring for my riding weight (165lbs w/ gear), but it feels rather stiff/harsh on regular trail riding (while big-stuff bottom-out is just right). I've read somewhere(?) that the spring/weight rating on Totem is a bit off (on a stiff side). The guy I bought my Totem from said the same, and he was using "soft" spring for his 200lbs weight (with high-speed compression cranked up). I couldn't believe it, so I went with medium anyway, but I may have to try a softer spring. I should probably do some searches on Totem spring stiffness issue. If I find something, I'll share it here (or if you find something, pls do the same).

Cheers,
- PiroChu

#30 ·
Ive searched but havent found much. i did lower the oil weight (4.5w) and that helped. I tried the medium spring and it felt good...until i hit steep stuff or drops and then it was too divey. i put the firm back in. i imagine with your rear shock at the sag its at, it matches the totem pretty good! I thonk im gonna try to firm up the rear just a bit to maybe balance the totem.

#31 ·
..... I tried the medium spring and it felt good...until i hit steep stuff or drops and then it was too divey. i put the firm back in. i imagine with your rear shock at the sag its at, it matches the totem pretty good! I thonk im gonna try to firm up the rear just a bit to maybe balance the totem.
Yep, exactly, seems that we have the same dilemma here (w/ Totem). ;)
(My buddy here - who weighs the same as me - said the same thing about Totem springs, too.) Not sure what else can be done...

Another thing I've heard that I'm yet to look into is "mix/match springs" by cutting 2 springs & mix them inside (eg. 1/3 "soft" spring + 2/3 "medium" spring). Assuming that the cut sides face each other with a washer in-between & covered by a shrink wrap, or something like that...(?) :confused:

#32 ·
thats a great idea, will give you the softer small-bump feel of the softer spring with the ending ramp-up of the firmer one. The splice might be tricky, dont want teh cut ends tp push easch otehr laterally in any way or theyll jam inside the stanchion. i might try that down the road; but i think its feeling ok now. I think its just hard to find a fork that matches how plush the rockshox vivid coil feels!

#33 · (Edited)
edit/update - shock sag%

Just re-measured my shock sag again today, and - with the same measuring method & without any adjustment changes - I got a completely different figure, as below. :blush: I'm really not sure what happened either last time vs this time. :confused:

['11 RC4] (at 7"-travel setup)
bottom out force adjust boost valve: 150psi
bottom out progressivness: 0 of 4 turns
low-speed compression: 7 of 17 clicks
rebound: 7 of 13 clicks
spring preload: 1 turn
sag with 400lbs spring: 0.75"/2.75"=27% :cool:

(Deriving it in reverse, for me to get 27% sag, the above-mentioned calculator will need "75" rear-wheel bias. Whoa, hummm...!? :skep: )

Fork ('09 Totem coil) - on the other hand - is still with the same super-low sag. Working on this one, and will update if with positive results...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.