Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lets see those blindside v5's!

24K views 70 replies 18 participants last post by  PiroChu 
#1 · (Edited)
Starting with mine, got a great deal on a new 2011 raw medium and just finished building it up:
Rockshox domain RC 180
halo combat rims/Transition,Hope hubs (built by me), spec. Butcher 2.5" tires
saint brakes
slx cranks, 2 x 9 drivetrain
35 mm raceface stem, answer dh handlebar
38 lbs, i think.

Built it up as more of a long-travel, heavy duty do-anything bike i can climb to the top, than a dh-only rig. Which I think is Transition's intention with the current iteration of this frame. Took it out for a spin today, kept it mellow as im still getting over a bad cold and still feeling out of it. Considering how plush the suspension is on the dh, Im surprised by how well it pedals, at least as good as the '08 Bullit (cracked rear triangle) it replaced. But this bike is lower and slacker:thumbsup: Glad to join the transition family, I think I made a good choice.

Attachments

See less See more
#65 ·
my Blindside at Black Rock - #3

Just got back from my 3rd annual trip to Black Rock (Falls City, Oregon), and the Blindside was just awesome, like it's really made for that place! :thumbsup:
I can climb fine, and descend is of course an absolute blast - so much so that we were playin' in da woods 8hrs/day for the 3 days we were there again. ;)

Road Trip to Black Rock (July, 2014) Video - Pinkbike

#69 ·
Just got back from my 3rd annual trip to Black Rock (Falls City, Oregon), and the Blindside was just awesome, like it's really made for that place! :thumbsup:
I can climb fine, and descend is of course an absolute blast - so much so that we were playin' in da woods 8hrs/day for the 3 days we were there again. ;)

Road Trip to Black Rock (July, 2014) Video - Pinkbike
Nice riding pirochu, I was at blackrock on Monday with my Covert. You're definitely hitting all the fun features that I aspire to ride. Great job!!!

#67 ·
another minor upgrade: KS LEV

Just replaced RS Reverb with KS LEV today. I love how the cable doesn't move at all with seatpost action, thanks to the bottom-located cable-mount on the seatpost. :thumbsup:

I even like how the seatpost-stanchion color cosmetically matches that of the fork stanchions now, LOL. ;)

Cheers,
- PiroChu

PS.
I just overhauled the fork (seals/oil), too - smooth as butter.

Attachments

#70 ·
Current version of my Blindside. I just converted it to 650b. Previously it was built up for shuttle/park duties with coil totem/vivid and dh wheelset at almost 40 lbs. It hasnt seen much use in the last couple years as ive toned down my riding with less air time so its kinda overkill. Ive thought about selling it but its indestructible and fits me so perfectly and is such a fun bike (and 26ers dont sell for s$!t). I decided to put it on a diet and modernize it. I realized that a 650b rear wheel has clearance in the shorter travel setting, and a shorter shock (8.5 x 2.5 instead of 8.75 x 2.75") and a 160 mm 650b fork drops the BB back down and shortens the rear travel to 164 mm. Air suspension and lighter wheels/tires this time to lighten it up so its basically a 6" all-around bike that is more than enough for the roughest stuff I do and still pedals well up long climbs. In this setup head angle is 65, BB is 13.9. Fork: xfusion sweep 160. Rims, wtb i25's laced to hopes, covered with maxxis minions. Bike is now 33.6 lbs:

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Bicycle frame

#71 ·
Hi dwyooaj,
Cool conversion, thanks for figuring out & sharing the info on 650B fit & shorter travel measurements.

I'm still running 26" myself (and it's true that 26" doesn't sell for anything, LOL). One thing I upgraded was finally converting to 1x10 (w/ OneUp) and lost the front drlr. Also, as a misc. item, I splurged and picked up the Specialized Command Post SRL lever ($60/LBS) for my KS LEV seatpost - very nice! Anyway, it's 36lbs 12oz now.

Nice to see this old Blindside-v5 thread still going (occasionally)... ;)

Cheers,
- PiroChu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.