mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Looks like a v4.....stunning!
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scottybinwv View Post
    Hey guys, I am looking into setting up a Blindside with 650b hoops/tires. Can anyone post up pics of the seat to tire clearance at full travel? Or has anyone done the conversion.

This bike looks to be the AM killer I have been searching for. Got an email into Transition but have not heard back yet.
    Any word on 650b compatibility? Heres an idea ive been toying with, assuming 650b capability in short travel setting:

put in a shorter shock (8.5" x 2.5")
    run an xfusion slant 160 in 650b mode (545 a-c height)
    650b wheels with big tires like hd's.

Geometry for a med will be:

65 head angle
    73.5 seat angle
    45.56 wheelbase
    13.8 bb height (depending on tire size)
    6.45" rear travel (short travel setting)
    so with the shorter shock and shorter fork, and bigger wheels, it brings it back to stock geo (except for bb being just slightly lower) with the bigger wheels.
    Expensive experiment though.
    '11 transition blindside

Braugh Bro.
    Thinking of picking up a blindside v5 on closeout, they only have mediums and smalls left. I'm 6' and ride a medium transition trans-am, but it has a longer top tube compared to the blindside. My current freeride bike, which would be being replaced is a large 2006 gt ruckus.

transition's geometry chart says the medium is for 5'8" - 6'2", and the large is for 6' and up. So i'm in the middle, anyone else my approximate height run a medium? thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am 5' 10" and purchased one of their V5 Mediums. I also ride a Small Bottlerocket and most likely would have been comfortable on a Small BS as well.... although I am extremely happy with the medium frame. I have a good friend that's 6' 3" and he has ridden by bike a couple times and commented that it is more roomy than he would have expected from a medium frame.... considering he normally rides an XL GT Force 2.0 for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    cgjeff, bottlerockets run a bit longer than blindsides. Buggy, its a tough call. im just under 5'8" but long torso/arms, short legs for my height. but I still like shortish bikes, especially for this kind of bike. I am right between the small and med BS. I went with a medium. its maybe a just a tad big but the small was just too small. I put a 30 mm stem on it, wouldve had to run a 65 on the small which is just wierd on a fr bike. btw dont go by TT lenght to determine sizing, since seta angles vary. It is trhe bikes reach that matters, the horizontal distance between BB and top of head tube. and to a lesser extent the stack, )vert distance between bb and top of HT, because this will determine how many spacers/bar height you put up there, which will also effect reach a tad because the head tube isnt 90 degrees!) once youre out of teh saddle, which is 90% of riding a fr bike, its these 2 numbers that determine how a bike feels, not top tube length. Med transam has about teh same reach as a M blindside, and large transam has a shorter reach than L BS. What helps me is finding out teh reach of a similar kind bike ive already owned (like your ruckus) and was happy with the sizing, then add the stem length i was using on it, which I call the "full reach", then compare this against the reach of the bike im looking to get and see what stem length i would have to add to get close to that number; and try to get a full reach that works well with a stem length im comfortable with (shorter the better for me). Formula is a bit more complicated than that (also involves headset spacer, head angle, bar height, etc) but at least the simpler version will at least hopefully point you in the right direction as that otehr stuff is just fine-tuning. call transition and see what thay say, theyre very helpful in that respect and when I discussed my dilemmna they steered me towards the med with a short stem.
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    ^^^ Great info... and do consider calling the guys at Transition, they have been extremely helpful when I have called with questions. Good to see this thread get some posts

Appalachian Singletrack'n

New to me.

Picked up this slightly used V6 Blindside and slowly built it over the winter.

Lets see those blindside v5's!-dsc_0808_zpsf393978c.jpg

Took it for the fist ride yesterday on my local hill, I think its going to suit me well.

Lets see those blindside v5's!-dsc_0810_zps9c01a4f1.jpg

Transition Blindside v5

anyone running air shock and/or fork on Blindside?

Hi folks,

Anyone running air shock and/or fork on your Blindside? If so, pix & feedback/thoughts on your air setup (& why which fork/shock), etc?

I'm sorta thinking of putting air/air on my v5 Blindside to lighten up a bit for daily all-mtn/trail riding around here. I love the Totem/DHX coil combo, but sometimes find it to be a bit of an overkill for light riding.

By the way, I wonder when the v6 will get listed for closeout sale on Transition website. They're still listing v5 frames for closeout. Too bad there's no more Blindside, though!

My v5 is still doing great, and here's a vid from the past summer.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/321305/

Cheers,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 06-30-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Transition Blindside v5

cheating

Hi guys,

I hope that the folks here on this thread are still happily rippin' on Blindside.

To confess myself, I've been "cheating" on my Blindside for the last month or so by moving all parts over to an used '11 Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon with PUSH linkage.

While I've been pretty happy with the new "mistress" (LOL) as my one-and-only bike for the last couple of hundred miles, I'm now having a serious second thought, and decided to rebuild the Blindside. I really feel like giving it another chance for comparison, before the (2nd) final verdict. With raved Nomad/VPP, my friends think I'm nuts to even contemplate going back to Blindside.

Well, I'll let you know what I end up doing after the rebuild & a few rides.
    - PiroChu

Transition Blindside v5

rebuilt Blindside

Happy 4th of July, folks:

So, I just rebuilt my Blindside back, and will go out for a comparison test ride tomorrow.

A lighter saddle evenly offset the Reverb weight, and folding tires saved about 2lbs this time, at 38lbs 2oz (as pictured).

Can't wait to ride it again tomorrow,
    PiroChu
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see those blindside v5's!-20140704_163724.jpg  

Lets see those blindside v5's!-20140704_164024.jpg  

Transition Blindside v5

Good job! verdict = Blindside

So, I went out for a ride on Blindside on Sat, and I'm now really convinced that this bike is for me. Just so comfortable on it - fits me like a glove - among many things I love about it.

So, I'll part with the Nomad frame now. I must be one of the few (if any) to pick something over the ever-so-popular Nomad (especially Carbon with PUSH link), LOL.

Cheers,
    - PiroChu

Transition Blindside v5

Good job! with a Ti spring

Just added a Ti spring. 37lbs 12oz, as pictured.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see those blindside v5's!-20140712_115651.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013

Lets see those blindside v5's!

mtbr member
    May 2013

Lets see those blindside v5's!

Also has ti spring now and a reverb. Like it a lot.

Transition Blindside v5

Good job! my Blindside at Black Rock - #3

Just got back from my 3rd annual trip to Black Rock (Falls City, Oregon), and the Blindside was just awesome, like it's really made for that place!
    I can climb fine, and descend is of course an absolute blast - so much so that we were playin' in da woods 8hrs/day for the 3 days we were there again.

Road Trip to Black Rock (July, 2014) Video - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Great vid! Haven't been there since '09. Looks like BRMBA has been busy up there.

Transition Blindside v5

Good job! another minor upgrade: KS LEV

Just replaced RS Reverb with KS LEV today. I love how the cable doesn't move at all with seatpost action, thanks to the bottom-located cable-mount on the seatpost.

I even like how the seatpost-stanchion color cosmetically matches that of the fork stanchions now, LOL.

Cheers,
    - PiroChu

PS.
    I just overhauled the fork (seals/oil), too - smooth as butter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see those blindside v5's!-20140803_001010.jpg  

mtbr member
    Anyone have a low mile good condition large for sale? Looking for a 2011 or 12. PM me if interested.

Edit Sept 21: I am no longer in the market, thanks!!
    Last edited by dansMTB; 09-21-2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: information no longer needed

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu View Post
    Just got back from my 3rd annual trip to Black Rock (Falls City, Oregon), and the Blindside was just awesome, like it's really made for that place!
    I can climb fine, and descend is of course an absolute blast - so much so that we were playin' in da woods 8hrs/day for the 3 days we were there again.

Road Trip to Black Rock (July, 2014) Video - Pinkbike
    Nice riding pirochu, I was at blackrock on Monday with my Covert. You're definitely hitting all the fun features that I aspire to ride. Great job!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3