Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lets see those blindside v5's!

24K views 70 replies 18 participants last post by  PiroChu 
#1 · (Edited)
Starting with mine, got a great deal on a new 2011 raw medium and just finished building it up:
Rockshox domain RC 180
halo combat rims/Transition,Hope hubs (built by me), spec. Butcher 2.5" tires
saint brakes
slx cranks, 2 x 9 drivetrain
35 mm raceface stem, answer dh handlebar
38 lbs, i think.

Built it up as more of a long-travel, heavy duty do-anything bike i can climb to the top, than a dh-only rig. Which I think is Transition's intention with the current iteration of this frame. Took it out for a spin today, kept it mellow as im still getting over a bad cold and still feeling out of it. Considering how plush the suspension is on the dh, Im surprised by how well it pedals, at least as good as the '08 Bullit (cracked rear triangle) it replaced. But this bike is lower and slacker:thumbsup: Glad to join the transition family, I think I made a good choice.

Attachments

See less See more
#34 · (Edited)
about the totem, I took mine out to my local lift assisted place (nothing spectacular but has some steeps, chunks and a few jumps) and the totems' feeling great, lowering the oil weight a tad did the trick. Olus, once its going down the steeps with more weight on the front its softens up but doesnt get divey. Sure feels good on landings! I have the dh damper without the floodgate tho...im interested to hear how your mod goes. I imagine it has a similar effect to lowering oil viscosity. FYI what I did was suck out 40 ml of oil and replace that with 40 mm of 2.5w, makes it about a 4.5w. I did this on my Domain too, which has the motion control Floodgate and it made a noticeable difference and felt great. but i dont think going too low would be a good idea.

#37 · (Edited)
Totem mod's

I have the dh damper without the floodgate tho...im interested to hear how your mod goes.
Just to report back that the mod's made my '09 Totem completely "reborn" - more compliant with small bumps and bottom-out is still there. :thumbsup:

Here's what I did...
(a) put the "140~160lbs-rated" soft spring (instead of the "160~180lbs-rated" medium)
(b) removed FloodGate
(c) moved up the jam nut on Mission Control damper (still same shims config)
(d) Maxima 5wt (137ml) for damper (default weight/volume)
(e) Amsoil 5W-40 full-synthetic motor oil (20ml/each) for lower legs (default volume), per Enduro recommendation (Step #32)
(f) set LSC at least 9 (of 16) clicks in (from open), as recommended per (unfortunately) interacting with HSC (I ended up with 10 clicks in)
(g) set HSC at 4 (of 12) clicks in (from open), as recommended just as a starting point by RockShox; still more clicks left for bigger stuff per (c)

Basically, it mainly aims to resolved (a) RockShox springs being heavier than rating, and (c) slack in damper wasting HSC clicks.

I didn't increase the oil weight because I read (within above link) that "...skip the heavier oil. That would effect LSC more then HSC and slow down rebound".

I was about to pick up an used Fox 36 VAN RC2 180mm (on my BottleRocket, I used to have the 160mm version, with its "150~180lbs-rated" medium spring just perfect for me), but I think I can stick with my "reborn" Totem now. ;)

Cheers,
- PiroChu

#35 ·
Hey guys, I am looking into setting up a Blindside with 650b hoops/tires. Can anyone post up pics of the seat to tire clearance at full travel? Or has anyone done the conversion.

This bike looks to be the AM killer I have been searching for. Got an email into Transition but have not heard back yet.

#52 ·
Any word on 650b compatibility? Heres an idea ive been toying with, assuming 650b capability in short travel setting:

put in a shorter shock (8.5" x 2.5")
run an xfusion slant 160 in 650b mode (545 a-c height)
650b wheels with big tires like hd's.

Geometry for a med will be:

65 head angle
73.5 seat angle
45.56 wheelbase
13.8 bb height (depending on tire size)
6.45" rear travel (short travel setting)
so with the shorter shock and shorter fork, and bigger wheels, it brings it back to stock geo (except for bb being just slightly lower) with the bigger wheels.
Expensive experiment though.

#36 ·
I didnt check clearance, but if you do go that route (or if anyone checks clearance) keep it in the 7" setting, adds about a quarter inch more tire clearance. 650b blindside sounds fun, built up with light parts and air suspension should be light enough for am.

#38 ·
some minor upgrades

Just posting a new picture with some minor upgrades...
* FSA Gravity Light crankset; 170mm (vs 175mm/previously)
* Point One Podium pedals; silver!
Also, from last month...
* 185mm rear rotor (vs 160mm/previously)
* Easton Havoc seatpost
* Salsa Flip-Lock collar; silver! (vs black/previously)

Due to lighter crankset & pedals, I shaved off about a pound, now weighing at 39lbs 13oz. (I've not had a bike under 40lbs for 5yrs, LOL!)

Attachments

#40 ·
Update: I will soon have a syntace Megaforce2 30 mm stem on mine, i know only slightly shorter than whats on tehre now but will get the reach just exactly where I want it. Undercores the fact that Im in between frame sizes. (I didnt know anyone made 30 mm stems until I came across syntace"s website.) It will also drop 130 grams over my old stem. i also decided to try out the medium spring in my totem again, withe the lo-speed compr set at 6 clicks in and the hi-speed set at 4-8 clicks depending on the trail (drops or not). Ive decided to stick with it, feels pretty good, maybe rides a tad lower but the extra small-bump compliance and traction offsets that. And cranking up the hi-speed compr on drops does a great job preventing bottomout. Plus Ive lost a little weight lately.

#41 ·
Update..... .... i also decided to try out the .... spring in my totem again
Cool. Bummer that many frames (incl. BS) are no longer listed for 2013, though, as pointed out by another thread, by the way...

Sounds good (about Totem). If you can't seem to get enough high-speed compression while going with softer spring, check out the internal tinkering with the damper that I'd posted above -works great. Good luck!

Cheers,
- PiroChu

#42 ·
mine is a 2011 with the dh damper; I think different internals than '09. But I dont think a mod will be necessary. So wierd that me at #215 would be best on a med spring; but gotta go with what feels right I guess. Might pop the firm back in If im hitting smooth trails with decent drops or jumps, which around here is not very common.

#46 ·
Im in the same boat. Tried to order a Large this summer and was told their sold out/ done with the BS. I'd love a Tr250 but don't have cheese for that frame. Check out the NS Soda, it's like a blend between a TR250 and the BS and retails for $1700. I think that is the route I'm taking.

#47 ·
Joined the Blindside v5 group a couple days ago, ordered myself a medium frame in Raw. Thanks to PiroChu for all your offline e-mail help. Will be replacing a v1 Bottlerocket frame for a little more travel. Will post some pics once I get everything move over.

Stoked!! :cornut:

#48 ·
My Mistress...

Blindside v5 - Medium
Totem Solo Air Fork
Saint Cranks
Saint Rear Derailleur
TBC Revolution 32 Wheelset
Maxxis Minion 3C - 2.5 Front
Maxxix High Roller II 3C - 2.5 Rear
Formula "The One" Brakes
Hope 203mm Rotors F/R
Deity Bars & Grips
Deity Stem
Deity Pedals
E13 LG1+ Chain Guide
TBC Saddle

Ready for a trip to Black Rock to try her out!

Attachments

#53 ·
Thinking of picking up a blindside v5 on closeout, they only have mediums and smalls left. I'm 6' and ride a medium transition trans-am, but it has a longer top tube compared to the blindside. My current freeride bike, which would be being replaced is a large 2006 gt ruckus.

transition's geometry chart says the medium is for 5'8" - 6'2", and the large is for 6' and up. So i'm in the middle, anyone else my approximate height run a medium? thanks.

#54 ·
I am 5' 10" and purchased one of their V5 Mediums. I also ride a Small Bottlerocket and most likely would have been comfortable on a Small BS as well.... although I am extremely happy with the medium frame. I have a good friend that's 6' 3" and he has ridden by bike a couple times and commented that it is more roomy than he would have expected from a medium frame.... considering he normally rides an XL GT Force 2.0 for trail riding.

#55 ·
cgjeff, bottlerockets run a bit longer than blindsides. Buggy, its a tough call. im just under 5'8" but long torso/arms, short legs for my height. but I still like shortish bikes, especially for this kind of bike. I am right between the small and med BS. I went with a medium. its maybe a just a tad big but the small was just too small. I put a 30 mm stem on it, wouldve had to run a 65 on the small which is just wierd on a fr bike. btw dont go by TT lenght to determine sizing, since seta angles vary. It is trhe bikes reach that matters, the horizontal distance between BB and top of head tube. and to a lesser extent the stack, )vert distance between bb and top of HT, because this will determine how many spacers/bar height you put up there, which will also effect reach a tad because the head tube isnt 90 degrees!) once youre out of teh saddle, which is 90% of riding a fr bike, its these 2 numbers that determine how a bike feels, not top tube length. Med transam has about teh same reach as a M blindside, and large transam has a shorter reach than L BS. What helps me is finding out teh reach of a similar kind bike ive already owned (like your ruckus) and was happy with the sizing, then add the stem length i was using on it, which I call the "full reach", then compare this against the reach of the bike im looking to get and see what stem length i would have to add to get close to that number; and try to get a full reach that works well with a stem length im comfortable with (shorter the better for me). Formula is a bit more complicated than that (also involves headset spacer, head angle, bar height, etc) but at least the simpler version will at least hopefully point you in the right direction as that otehr stuff is just fine-tuning. call transition and see what thay say, theyre very helpful in that respect and when I discussed my dilemmna they steered me towards the med with a short stem.

#58 · (Edited)
anyone running air shock and/or fork on Blindside?

Hi folks,

Anyone running air shock and/or fork on your Blindside? If so, pix & feedback/thoughts on your air setup (& why which fork/shock), etc?

I'm sorta thinking of putting air/air on my v5 Blindside to lighten up a bit for daily all-mtn/trail riding around here. I love the Totem/DHX coil combo, but sometimes find it to be a bit of an overkill for light riding.

By the way, I wonder when the v6 will get listed for closeout sale on Transition website. They're still listing v5 frames for closeout. Too bad there's no more Blindside, though!

My v5 is still doing great, and here's a vid from the past summer.

[video]http://www.pinkbike.com/video/321305/[/video]

Cheers,
- PiroChu

#59 ·
cheating

Hi guys,

I hope that the folks here on this thread are still happily rippin' on Blindside.

To confess myself, I've been "cheating" on my Blindside for the last month or so by moving all parts over to an used '11 Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon with PUSH linkage.

While I've been pretty happy with the new "mistress" (LOL) as my one-and-only bike for the last couple of hundred miles, I'm now having a serious second thought, and decided to rebuild the Blindside. I really feel like giving it another chance for comparison, before the (2nd) final verdict. With raved Nomad/VPP, my friends think I'm nuts to even contemplate going back to Blindside.

Well, I'll let you know what I end up doing after the rebuild & a few rides.
- PiroChu

#60 ·
rebuilt Blindside

Happy 4th of July, folks:

So, I just rebuilt my Blindside back, and will go out for a comparison test ride tomorrow.

A lighter saddle evenly offset the Reverb weight, and folding tires saved about 2lbs this time, at 38lbs 2oz (as pictured).

Can't wait to ride it again tomorrow,
PiroChu

Attachments

#61 ·
verdict = Blindside

So, I went out for a ride on Blindside on Sat, and I'm now really convinced that this bike is for me. Just so comfortable on it - fits me like a glove - among many things I love about it. :thumbsup:

So, I'll part with the Nomad frame now. I must be one of the few (if any) to pick something over the ever-so-popular Nomad (especially Carbon with PUSH link), LOL. :p

Cheers,
- PiroChu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.