Pirochu, what length stem is on there?j
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

Transition Blindside v5

We the people ... setup

Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    Pirochu, what length stem is on there?j
    Hi dwyooaj,

Congrats on scoring a Totem for your Blindside. (color? pic?) What spring did you put inside? (By the way, RockShox confusingly changed spring colors a few years back, grrr... )

So I have an old 50mm Diabolus stem on my Blindside (a carry-over from BottleRocket).

Though the geometry numbers are different on paper, I seem to quickly get used to (or I just don't notice?) and the new Blindside/small comfortably feels pretty much like my BottleRocket/small.

My suspension setup is still left on a "stiff" side (I know ), and glad I kept my shock/fork as such, especially at Black Rock. (By the way, I'm 150lbs/me + 15lbs/gear = 160lbs/total.)

['11 RC4] (at 7"-travel setup)
    bottom out force adjust boost valve: 150psi
    bottom out progressivness: 0 of 4 turns
    low-speed compression: 7 of 17 clicks
    high-speed compression: 0 of 12 clicks
    rebound: 7 of 13 clicks
    spring preload: 1 turn
    sag with 400lbs spring: 0.59"/2.75"=21.5%

['09 Totem]
    low-speed compression: 0 of 16 clicks
    rebound: 10 of 16 clicks
    FloodGate: removed
    spring: medium/blue for 160~180lbs (part#: 11.4015.135.000)
    sag: 30mm/180mm = 16.7%

Also, I'm just coming off a 5.5" BottleRocket (not some 8" DH rig), so I kinda want my Blindside to feel/pedal similar (though the RC4 feels plenty plush for me). I admit that Totem feels a bit stiff at the very-beginning stroke, but it seems to meet my bottom-out needs just right.

I'm taking it to a bike park (Northstar) this weekend, so I'll see how it does on DH (though I'm not much of a DH guy at all ).

Cheers,
    - PiroChu

PS.
    I just put 185mm rotor on rear, Easton Havoc seatpost (same as what I had on BottleRocket, but different size), silver Salsa Flip-Lock QR collar (instead of black - purely for looks, I know ). The rest is still the same.
    Last edited by PiroChu; 07-09-2012 at 10:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    piro, which travel setting are you running? fyi heres my setup:

35 mm Diabolous stem
    also recently put on shorter cranks (170 mm) and superthin pedals (Ht ae01)

my weight geared up: 215-220
    rockshox Vivid (in 7" setting): #400 spring, 10 clicks of beginning-stroke rebound, 4 clicks of ending-stroke rebound, 3 of compression. sag: 13/16", or 30%. Firm dropstop bumper.

Totem with a firm spring, no preload spacers, both compressions full open, 12 clicks of rebound. Still feels a little too firm, but I just cant believe a med spring would be right. sag is about 30 % when I kinda lean over the front. I thought the totem would feel a little more linear, just gotta get used to it I guess. today I finally took had a chance to take it out on some bigger chunk (no big drops tho) and it felt pretty good; didnt get into the last 3/4" of travel so thats about right (so thats still there for the bigger stuff).
    '11 transition blindside

Transition Blindside v5
    piro, which travel setting are you running? ..... Totem with a firm spring ..... Still feels a little too firm
    I'm running the 7"-travel setup. I used this spring calculator that I've always found to be spot-on with all my past frames.
    Mountain Bike Spring Rate Calculator V4.0
    The default rear-wheel bias is populated as '60', and I always used that. If I use that, I'm for a 350# spring. However, Sam/Transition said to put '65' rear-wheel bias for Blindside on this calculator (I sent it to him to try), and that gave me a 400# spring (which is what I have).

I totally agree that the Totem feeling pretty stiff. I have a med spring for my riding weight (165lbs w/ gear), but it feels rather stiff/harsh on regular trail riding (while big-stuff bottom-out is just right). I've read somewhere(?) that the spring/weight rating on Totem is a bit off (on a stiff side). The guy I bought my Totem from said the same, and he was using "soft" spring for his 200lbs weight (with high-speed compression cranked up). I couldn't believe it, so I went with medium anyway, but I may have to try a softer spring. I should probably do some searches on Totem spring stiffness issue. If I find something, I'll share it here (or if you find something, pls do the same).

Cheers,
    - PiroChu

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ive searched but havent found much. i did lower the oil weight (4.5w) and that helped. I tried the medium spring and it felt good...until i hit steep stuff or drops and then it was too divey. i put the firm back in. i imagine with your rear shock at the sag its at, it matches the totem pretty good! I thonk im gonna try to firm up the rear just a bit to maybe balance the totem.
    '11 transition blindside

Transition Blindside v5
    ..... I tried the medium spring and it felt good...until i hit steep stuff or drops and then it was too divey. i put the firm back in. i imagine with your rear shock at the sag its at, it matches the totem pretty good! I thonk im gonna try to firm up the rear just a bit to maybe balance the totem.
    Yep, exactly, seems that we have the same dilemma here (w/ Totem).
    (My buddy here - who weighs the same as me - said the same thing about Totem springs, too.) Not sure what else can be done...

Another thing I've heard that I'm yet to look into is "mix/match springs" by cutting 2 springs & mix them inside (eg. 1/3 "soft" spring + 2/3 "medium" spring). Assuming that the cut sides face each other with a washer in-between & covered by a shrink wrap, or something like that...(?)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    thats a great idea, will give you the softer small-bump feel of the softer spring with the ending ramp-up of the firmer one. The splice might be tricky, dont want teh cut ends tp push easch otehr laterally in any way or theyll jam inside the stanchion. i might try that down the road; but i think its feeling ok now. I think its just hard to find a fork that matches how plush the rockshox vivid coil feels!
    '11 transition blindside

Transition Blindside v5

edit/update - shock sag%

Just re-measured my shock sag again today, and - with the same measuring method & without any adjustment changes - I got a completely different figure, as below. I'm really not sure what happened either last time vs this time.

['11 RC4] (at 7"-travel setup)
    bottom out force adjust boost valve: 150psi
    bottom out progressivness: 0 of 4 turns
    low-speed compression: 7 of 17 clicks
    rebound: 7 of 13 clicks
    spring preload: 1 turn
    sag with 400lbs spring: 0.75"/2.75"=27%

(Deriving it in reverse, for me to get 27% sag, the above-mentioned calculator will need "75" rear-wheel bias. Whoa, hummm...!? )

Fork ('09 Totem coil) - on the other hand - is still with the same super-low sag. Working on this one, and will update if with positive results...
    Last edited by PiroChu; 07-12-2012 at 10:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    about the totem, I took mine out to my local lift assisted place (nothing spectacular but has some steeps, chunks and a few jumps) and the totems' feeling great, lowering the oil weight a tad did the trick. Olus, once its going down the steeps with more weight on the front its softens up but doesnt get divey. Sure feels good on landings! I have the dh damper without the floodgate tho...im interested to hear how your mod goes. I imagine it has a similar effect to lowering oil viscosity. FYI what I did was suck out 40 ml of oil and replace that with 40 mm of 2.5w, makes it about a 4.5w. I did this on my Domain too, which has the motion control Floodgate and it made a noticeable difference and felt great. but i dont think going too low would be a good idea.
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 07-14-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    '11 transition blindside

bikeboatbrewski
    Hey guys, I am looking into setting up a Blindside with 650b hoops/tires. Can anyone post up pics of the seat to tire clearance at full travel? Or has anyone done the conversion.

This bike looks to be the AM killer I have been searching for. Got an email into Transition but have not heard back yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I didnt check clearance, but if you do go that route (or if anyone checks clearance) keep it in the 7" setting, adds about a quarter inch more tire clearance. 650b blindside sounds fun, built up with light parts and air suspension should be light enough for am.
    '11 transition blindside

Transition Blindside v5

Good job! Totem mod's

I have the dh damper without the floodgate tho...im interested to hear how your mod goes.
    Just to report back that the mod's made my '09 Totem completely "reborn" - more compliant with small bumps and bottom-out is still there.

Here's what I did...
    (a) put the "140~160lbs-rated" soft spring (instead of the "160~180lbs-rated" medium)
    (b) removed FloodGate
    (c) moved up the jam nut on Mission Control damper (still same shims config)
    (d) Maxima 5wt (137ml) for damper (default weight/volume)
    (e) Amsoil 5W-40 full-synthetic motor oil (20ml/each) for lower legs (default volume), per Enduro recommendation (Step #32)
    (f) set LSC at least 9 (of 16) clicks in (from open), as recommended per (unfortunately) interacting with HSC (I ended up with 10 clicks in)
    (g) set HSC at 4 (of 12) clicks in (from open), as recommended just as a starting point by RockShox; still more clicks left for bigger stuff per (c)

Basically, it mainly aims to resolved (a) RockShox springs being heavier than rating, and (c) slack in damper wasting HSC clicks.

I didn't increase the oil weight because I read (within above link) that "...skip the heavier oil. That would effect LSC more then HSC and slow down rebound".

I was about to pick up an used Fox 36 VAN RC2 180mm (on my BottleRocket, I used to have the 160mm version, with its "150~180lbs-rated" medium spring just perfect for me), but I think I can stick with my "reborn" Totem now.

Cheers,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 07-16-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Transition Blindside v5

some minor upgrades

Just posting a new picture with some minor upgrades...
    * FSA Gravity Light crankset; 170mm (vs 175mm/previously)
    * Point One Podium pedals; silver!
    Also, from last month...
    * 185mm rear rotor (vs 160mm/previously)
    * Easton Havoc seatpost
    * Salsa Flip-Lock collar; silver! (vs black/previously)

Due to lighter crankset & pedals, I shaved off about a pound, now weighing at 39lbs 13oz. (I've not had a bike under 40lbs for 5yrs, LOL!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see those blindside v5's!-img_0382.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    nice! i also replaced my 175 cranks with 170s (slx).
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Update: I will soon have a syntace Megaforce2 30 mm stem on mine, i know only slightly shorter than whats on tehre now but will get the reach just exactly where I want it. Undercores the fact that Im in between frame sizes. (I didnt know anyone made 30 mm stems until I came across syntace"s website.) It will also drop 130 grams over my old stem. i also decided to try out the medium spring in my totem again, withe the lo-speed compr set at 6 clicks in and the hi-speed set at 4-8 clicks depending on the trail (drops or not). Ive decided to stick with it, feels pretty good, maybe rides a tad lower but the extra small-bump compliance and traction offsets that. And cranking up the hi-speed compr on drops does a great job preventing bottomout. Plus Ive lost a little weight lately.
    '11 transition blindside

Transition Blindside v5
    Update..... .... i also decided to try out the .... spring in my totem again
    Cool. Bummer that many frames (incl. BS) are no longer listed for 2013, though, as pointed out by another thread, by the way...

Sounds good (about Totem). If you can't seem to get enough high-speed compression while going with softer spring, check out the internal tinkering with the damper that I'd posted above -works great. Good luck!

Cheers,
    - PiroChu

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    mine is a 2011 with the dh damper; I think different internals than '09. But I dont think a mod will be necessary. So wierd that me at #215 would be best on a med spring; but gotta go with what feels right I guess. Might pop the firm back in If im hitting smooth trails with decent drops or jumps, which around here is not very common.
    '11 transition blindside

I'm with stupid
    Im sad to see these go, I was hoping to replace my aging Gran mal with one of these. Pic just for fun even though its not a blindside.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If u take a med or small, looks like they still ahve some: http://www.transitionbikes.com/2013/Store_Detail.cfm?Token={ts_2012-11-09_21:37:19}-9625855278a1e566-BDE0F1F3-B4D0-3AFA-933A88AB60CA5E0C&P=2952&PL=2081&o=1 but dont wait too long.
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 11-09-2012 at 08:57 PM.
    '11 transition blindside

I'm with stupid
    Nope Im a Large. Oh well I will just have to find something else........ Or a used one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Nope Im a Large. Oh well I will just have to find something else........ Or a used one.
    Im in the same boat. Tried to order a Large this summer and was told their sold out/ done with the BS. I'd love a Tr250 but don't have cheese for that frame. Check out the NS Soda, it's like a blend between a TR250 and the BS and retails for $1700. I think that is the route I'm taking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Joined the Blindside v5 group a couple days ago, ordered myself a medium frame in Raw. Thanks to PiroChu for all your offline e-mail help. Will be replacing a v1 Bottlerocket frame for a little more travel. Will post some pics once I get everything move over.

Stoked!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My Mistress...

Blindside v5 - Medium
    Totem Solo Air Fork
    Saint Cranks
    Saint Rear Derailleur
    TBC Revolution 32 Wheelset
    Maxxis Minion 3C - 2.5 Front
    Maxxix High Roller II 3C - 2.5 Rear
    Formula "The One" Brakes
    Hope 203mm Rotors F/R
    Deity Bars & Grips
    Deity Stem
    Deity Pedals
    E13 LG1+ Chain Guide
    TBC Saddle

Ready for a trip to Black Rock to try her out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see those blindside v5's!-blindside-2.jpg  

Lets see those blindside v5's!-blindside-3.jpg  

Transition Blindside v5
    Quote Originally Posted by cgjeff View Post
    My Mistress...
    Ready for a trip to Black Rock to try her out!
    Looking good! Very envious that you're so close to Black Rock (not to mention all your handy backyard stunts). Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Don't think it's a V5 because of the lack of DM front derailleur (V4 then?) but I thought I'd post it anyways. More DH oriented but still pedals. It definitely has improved my riding and I love how it handles!!

Lets see those blindside v5's!-image.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast