mtbr member
    Nov 2009

KrunkShox 's Smuggler metric linkage

I'm sure i'm not the only one interested in this...does anybody have any inside knowledge as to whether Transition will be providing a linkage as a piece-part to accommodate a Superdeluxe shock on existing Smugglers? KrunkShox setup from this summer looks dialled!

I've ridden both metric and non metric Patrol's and the later is a step up IMO.

Was looking to upgrade the RT3 to a piggy back, but before I do I thought it would be worth it to ask. Maybe I'll give them a ring;-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    they are going to sell them for the patrol eventually so you'd think they would for other bikes too. if its a 190x50 shock I'd get a coil IL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by POAH View Post
    they are going to sell them for the patrol eventually so you'd think they would for other bikes too. if its a 190x50 shock I'd get a coil IL
    I've asked them about this twice (though not recently) and both times the answer was no. Maybe you've heard something recently?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    If you ring them, please pm me ! Interested as well and ready to buy !

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by POAH View Post
    Good call. Im not sure it would be worth it without a full re-design (that would say, involve a trunion mount). It does look like there are a fair amount of quality options out there in a 190X51. Coil option has me curious, but maybe like Sternberg's setup; it may warrant a piggyback with the ability to add some ramp up, i.e. an old RC4

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Subscribed. Its gotta be possible

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Emailed back and forth with Dave at transition.

No chance of it happening.... I even tried to ask about his prior setup of the dhx2 coil krunk (alex) ran on his bike and was told his bike setups are for testing purposes surrounding future models and due to the high cost it would take to produce the linkages they will not be going into production.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Makarmtb View Post
    Emailed back and forth with Dave at transition.

No chance of it happening.... I even tried to ask about his prior setup of the dhx2 coil krunk (alex) ran on his bike and was told his bike setups are for testing purposes surrounding future models and due to the high cost it would take to produce the linkages they will not be going into production.
    cheers, makes total sense

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    it does make sense. and it's cool that the guys at Transition are approachable enough to take the time and explain why. try that with other companies and i bet you won't get far. i suspect that the guys at T and their buds play around with all kinds of shocks, links and mods purely for testing. when Lars is seen riding something it's not definitively better or the next logical step up, but something different that he's sussing out.

mtbr member
    it does make sense for a custom, one-of, rocker, but not so much for the rocker used for the metric shocked Patrols. They are already manufacturing those, wouldn't be too hard to add another 50 to the order and sell those as an upgrade.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My spidey sense is that the Smuggler is in the middle of an update that goes beyond just the metric shock.

It's probably boost+slight geometry update+metric shock+ carbon which would mean there are enough changes to make the rocker not work for existing frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Not sure if the Smuggler is going to be replaced by (or turned into) the long travel 29er. But the Long travel 29 is coming soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtip2 View Post
    Not sure if the Smuggler is going to be replaced by (or turned into) the long travel 29er. But the Long travel 29 is coming soon.
    Would a shame if it was turned into a long travel 29er. By all means bring out that option, but keep a shorter travel option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ukr77 View Post
    Would a shame if it was turned into a long travel 29er. By all means bring out that option, but keep a shorter travel option.
    I hope they keep both 29ers as well, like the Scout and Patrol. I'm just hoping the long travel 29 is released at Sea Otter and available shortly after. Also straight to carbon...is that too much to ask?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I would be bummed if they turned the Smuggler into a 140mm bike, although it seems like that is en vogue right now.

I've been hoping for a carbon Smuggler to go up against an Evil Following or Django 29 for a stage race 29er, since i am trying to downsize the stable of bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I hope they keep both, like Evil. Not saying they need to go as big as the Wreckoning. More along the lines of the Yeti 5.5 and 4.5. I loved the Smuggler, but for my trails it got overwhelmed pretty quickly. Same when I demoed the 4.5. However, the 5.5 is the sweet spot for my area of trails. I know this is different for everyone and trails/riding style depicts the travel needed in a bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I hope they keep both, like Evil. Not saying they need to go as big as the Wreckoning. More along the lines of the Yeti 5.5 and 4.5. I loved the Smuggler, but for my trails it got overwhelmed pretty quickly. Same when I demoed the 4.5. However, the 5.5 is the sweet spot for my area of trails. I know this is different for everyone and trails/riding style depicts the travel needed in a bike.
    I would actually be willing to go to a 5.5 for stage racing if Yeti could fit a bottle inside the triangle, but we all know that pigs don't fly. If Transition can keep the weight down and somehow have the long travel 29er climb well enough, I could be convinced to pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I don't mind the short travel in my area (North Vancouver). But I up fork on the little 29er. The hits and chunder are big, but the speeds are slow so I can actually ride and race it pretty quick. But when the speeds pick up, I can definitely feel the hurt hitting the chunder hard I guess the only time I really ask for longer travel is on super steep rough terrain (ass on tire steep)....where I'm wanting the rear wheel so settle deeper in the travel.

140 travel with a 160 fork would be money for a 'long travel' 29er, for me anyway. Keep the snap in the smuggler

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ukr77 View Post
    I don't mind the short travel in my area (North Vancouver). But I up fork on the little 29er. The hits and chunder are big, but the speeds are slow so I can actually ride and race it pretty quick. But when the speeds pick up, I can definitely feel the hurt hitting the chunder hard I guess the only time I really ask for longer travel is on super steep rough terrain (ass on tire steep)....where I'm wanting the rear wheel so settle deeper in the travel.

140 travel with a 160 fork would be money for a 'long travel' 29er, for me anyway. Keep the snap in the smuggler
    I had a 140 on my Smuggler. It got overwhelmed very quickly when I pushed it on rocky downhills. I now have an Intense Primer. I long shocked it (around 140 rear) and have a 150 up front. It feels more lively and snappier than the Smuggler was. I feel like 140 is a perfect travel for the rear on a 29. The front can be 150/160 and still keep the playfulness. I just hate messing with a bike's geo like I did with the Primer to get what I wanted.