mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    yes please

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    can we can get some build kit info?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

why not produce an AM 29er? I love you guys, but I think you're missing the boat, or a big chunk of the market place, the 29" crowd, which is growing faster than any other single segment of bike lines. Even holdout YETI has put one in the stable, and dang near every other company is on board. It's like holding on to the BETAMAX standard when everyone else got on board with VHS.

To all the 29er haters that will chime in, nobody's trying to take away your 26" bike. There is always a place. I'm just saying to Transition to diversify their line and bring MORE people into the flock. The argument that frame manufacture's are being held up by the fork companies has merit, but it's going to take more companies to start pushing FOX and Rockshox for a 36mm long travel 29er fork. You push them by showing them a frame that needs a fork and guaranteeing RS or FOX fork sales. $$$ makes it happen.

Intense, Niner, Lenz have commited to a 5.5" travel bike, and more are on the way. Marzocchi, Manitou and WB's have stepped up to the plate in the mean time to offer forks for this segment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MqtRider
    why not produce an AM 29er? I love you guys, but I think you're missing the boat, or a big chunk of the market place, the 29" crowd, which is growing faster than any other single segment of bike lines. Even holdout YETI has put one in the stable, and dang near every other company is on board. It's like holding on to the BETAMAX standard when everyone else got on board with VHS.

To all the 29er haters that will chime in, nobody's trying to take away your 26" bike. There is always a place. I'm just saying to Transition to diversify their line and bring MORE people into the flock. The argument that frame manufacture's are being held up by the fork companies has merit, but it's going to take more companies to start pushing FOX and Rockshox for a 36mm long travel 29er fork. You push them by showing them a frame that needs a fork and guaranteeing RS or FOX fork sales. $$$ makes it happen.

Intense, Niner, Lenz have commited to a 5.5" travel bike, and more are on the way. Marzocchi, Manitou and WB's have stepped up to the plate in the mean time to offer forks for this segment.
    I don't think you need to convince them. They've been testing one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    looks fun, clean, and sexy in black

mtbr member
    why do 29" people try so hard to convince the world? easy on the kool-aid. yes, glorified betamax hybrid bikes with knobbies do have their market share. I prefer a slimmer waist as opposed to buying larger pants. take this new Bandit for example..
    Last edited by 53119; 12-03-2010 at 07:30 AM.
    i'm on my Last Herb

i like rocks
    that thing looks sick, and i'm not going to get preachy about it, but something like that with 29" wheels would definitely get me thinking about re-prioritizing my financial plan!
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

Dudette
    ETA?? Standover? Colors?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119
    why do 29" people try so hard to convince the world? easy on the kool-aid. yes, glorified betamax hybrid bikes with knobbies do have their market share. I prefer a slimmer waist as opposed to buying larger pants. take this new Bandit for example..
    If you asked me two years ago, my response would have been the same as yours.

But after buying one to try (had to see if I was justified in making fun of them or not), I really like it. The bigger wheel size doesn't make sense everywhere for everyone on every ride, but it's a great option in a lot of places. If you only ride jumps and bike parks and DH, then no, pretty sure you won't want one. If you have something like this in your quiver.. you might be inclined to like the 29er too.

Canfield has a sick 29er right now (never thought I would utter those words)... Banshee has one on the drawing board.

I definitely don't want to be known as one of those guys who pushes 29ers because they are better at everything and 26" is dumb (you know the type of person I am talking about), I don't mean that at all. The 29er has a lot of unrealistic hype attached to it but it also has bad reputation as being an old man's hybrid xc bike which isn't necessarily true either.

Sometimes I say stupid things

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_nw
    If you asked me two years ago, my response would have been the same as yours.

But after buying one to try (had to see if I was justified in making fun of them or not), I really like it. The bigger wheel size doesn't make sense everywhere for everyone on every ride, but it's a great option in a lot of places. If you only ride jumps and bike parks and DH, then no, pretty sure you won't want one. If you have something like this in your quiver.. you might be inclined to like the 29er too.

Canfield has a sick 29er right now (never thought I would utter those words)... Banshee has one on the drawing board.
    have given them an honest go. Had a Soulcraft Holy Roller for a while. Decided to try them cuz I rode my cx bike so much in the trails it made sense but didn't translate for me. grew up on bmx and moto so ride style and like you said terrain makes a difference. I'm in Texas so these days when you roll up on a 26 everybody stares at you like you're on a horse! til it get's fast and techy. the difference to me between the two is mindset.
    i'm on my Last Herb

user-created
    Reincarnated Preston?

Is the frame going to fail every 6 months like a Preston?

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    The Preston was a freeride bike, this is a light weight trail bike. Reincarnation? Not likely.

Anyway, the Bandit looks awesome. What's the ETA on complete build pricing info and availability?

user-created
    From a retail perspective, TBC should offer this as a complete bike with a sub $3k price point.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa
    The Preston was a freeride bike, this is a light weight trail bike. Reincarnation? Not likely.
    I was mostly kidding.... but one could say the the Preston was just a very heavy trail bike, actually "FRing" one invariably ended in tears. I bet this is spot on with Preston geo, but without the pork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Ohhhh, me likey! The geometry and sizing looks spot on for me ( med. is almost identical sizing to a med. TransAm at a quick glance). And I'm thinking that since this is TBC making the bike that it should still be pretty tough. Can't wait to see some ride impressions and then the inevitable comparisons to other stout short travel trail bikes.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

mtbr member
    Do I spy adjustable seatpost cable guides on the top tube?

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorar
    I don't think you need to convince them. They've been testing one.
    Yes, but it's very early.

Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    Reincarnated Preston?

Is the frame going to fail every 6 months like a Preston?
    Yo Joel, I think we both know that the Preston was billed as a FR bike, yet didn't have the travel or necessary bulk to really handle bigger riding. Hence, you needing a replacement every 6 months!

I don't see them promoting this bike in anyway, shape or form like the Preston was previously touted. This is a XC/trailbike....not supposed to replace a Covert or any other model.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    very nice !
    this is what should be done on the Covert, straight toptube without gusset
    very interested to see the colors chosen

Gnar
    I like it. A lot

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees
    Do I spy adjustable seatpost cable guides on the top tube?
    I think the proto covert had them also? I wish mine had them!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I like it.

JMH

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    May is the likely in the shop date so you have plenty of time to drool. Also, New Bottlerockets due in February/March so get your preorder in!
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

mtbr member
    Geo is different than a preston. Looks like a nice little trail bike to me.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast