Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 432
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    602

    Introducing the Bandit

    Check it out everybody!

    All New Transition Bandit

    Introducing the Bandit-banditclean.jpg

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    128
    oh heck yes!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    214
    yes please

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    214
    can we can get some build kit info?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    463

    I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

    why not produce an AM 29er? I love you guys, but I think you're missing the boat, or a big chunk of the market place, the 29" crowd, which is growing faster than any other single segment of bike lines. Even holdout YETI has put one in the stable, and dang near every other company is on board. It's like holding on to the BETAMAX standard when everyone else got on board with VHS.

    To all the 29er haters that will chime in, nobody's trying to take away your 26" bike. There is always a place. I'm just saying to Transition to diversify their line and bring MORE people into the flock. The argument that frame manufacture's are being held up by the fork companies has merit, but it's going to take more companies to start pushing FOX and Rockshox for a 36mm long travel 29er fork. You push them by showing them a frame that needs a fork and guaranteeing RS or FOX fork sales. $$$ makes it happen.

    Intense, Niner, Lenz have commited to a 5.5" travel bike, and more are on the way. Marzocchi, Manitou and WB's have stepped up to the plate in the mean time to offer forks for this segment.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by MqtRider
    why not produce an AM 29er? I love you guys, but I think you're missing the boat, or a big chunk of the market place, the 29" crowd, which is growing faster than any other single segment of bike lines. Even holdout YETI has put one in the stable, and dang near every other company is on board. It's like holding on to the BETAMAX standard when everyone else got on board with VHS.

    To all the 29er haters that will chime in, nobody's trying to take away your 26" bike. There is always a place. I'm just saying to Transition to diversify their line and bring MORE people into the flock. The argument that frame manufacture's are being held up by the fork companies has merit, but it's going to take more companies to start pushing FOX and Rockshox for a 36mm long travel 29er fork. You push them by showing them a frame that needs a fork and guaranteeing RS or FOX fork sales. $$$ makes it happen.

    Intense, Niner, Lenz have commited to a 5.5" travel bike, and more are on the way. Marzocchi, Manitou and WB's have stepped up to the plate in the mean time to offer forks for this segment.
    I don't think you need to convince them. They've been testing one.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    77
    looks fun, clean, and sexy in black

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,261
    why do 29" people try so hard to convince the world? easy on the kool-aid. yes, glorified betamax hybrid bikes with knobbies do have their market share. I prefer a slimmer waist as opposed to buying larger pants. take this new Bandit for example..
    Last edited by 53119; 12-03-2010 at 07:30 AM.

  9. #9
    i like rocks
    Reputation: euroford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,404
    that thing looks sick, and i'm not going to get preachy about it, but something like that with 29" wheels would definitely get me thinking about re-prioritizing my financial plan!
    Tim M Hovey

    IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

  10. #10
    Dudette
    Reputation: petey15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,372
    ETA?? Standover? Colors?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119
    why do 29" people try so hard to convince the world? easy on the kool-aid. yes, glorified betamax hybrid bikes with knobbies do have their market share. I prefer a slimmer waist as opposed to buying larger pants. take this new Bandit for example..
    If you asked me two years ago, my response would have been the same as yours.

    But after buying one to try (had to see if I was justified in making fun of them or not), I really like it. The bigger wheel size doesn't make sense everywhere for everyone on every ride, but it's a great option in a lot of places. If you only ride jumps and bike parks and DH, then no, pretty sure you won't want one. If you have something like this in your quiver.. you might be inclined to like the 29er too.

    Canfield has a sick 29er right now (never thought I would utter those words)... Banshee has one on the drawing board.

    I definitely don't want to be known as one of those guys who pushes 29ers because they are better at everything and 26" is dumb (you know the type of person I am talking about), I don't mean that at all. The 29er has a lot of unrealistic hype attached to it but it also has bad reputation as being an old man's hybrid xc bike which isn't necessarily true either.
     
    Sometimes I say stupid things

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,261
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_nw
    If you asked me two years ago, my response would have been the same as yours.

    But after buying one to try (had to see if I was justified in making fun of them or not), I really like it. The bigger wheel size doesn't make sense everywhere for everyone on every ride, but it's a great option in a lot of places. If you only ride jumps and bike parks and DH, then no, pretty sure you won't want one. If you have something like this in your quiver.. you might be inclined to like the 29er too.

    Canfield has a sick 29er right now (never thought I would utter those words)... Banshee has one on the drawing board.
    have given them an honest go. Had a Soulcraft Holy Roller for a while. Decided to try them cuz I rode my cx bike so much in the trails it made sense but didn't translate for me. grew up on bmx and moto so ride style and like you said terrain makes a difference. I'm in Texas so these days when you roll up on a 26 everybody stares at you like you're on a horse! til it get's fast and techy. the difference to me between the two is mindset.

  13. #13
    user-created
    Reputation: singletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,180
    Reincarnated Preston?

    Is the frame going to fail every 6 months like a Preston?

  14. #14
    Alt-132
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,099
    The Preston was a freeride bike, this is a light weight trail bike. Reincarnation? Not likely.

    Anyway, the Bandit looks awesome. What's the ETA on complete build pricing info and availability?

  15. #15
    user-created
    Reputation: singletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,180
    From a retail perspective, TBC should offer this as a complete bike with a sub $3k price point.

  16. #16
    user-created
    Reputation: singletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,180
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa
    The Preston was a freeride bike, this is a light weight trail bike. Reincarnation? Not likely.
    I was mostly kidding.... but one could say the the Preston was just a very heavy trail bike, actually "FRing" one invariably ended in tears. I bet this is spot on with Preston geo, but without the pork.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    459
    Ohhhh, me likey! The geometry and sizing looks spot on for me ( med. is almost identical sizing to a med. TransAm at a quick glance). And I'm thinking that since this is TBC making the bike that it should still be pretty tough. Can't wait to see some ride impressions and then the inevitable comparisons to other stout short travel trail bikes.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,886
    Do I spy adjustable seatpost cable guides on the top tube?

  19. #19
    Just roll it......
    Reputation: ebxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorar
    I don't think you need to convince them. They've been testing one.
    Yes, but it's very early.

    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    Reincarnated Preston?

    Is the frame going to fail every 6 months like a Preston?
    Yo Joel, I think we both know that the Preston was billed as a FR bike, yet didn't have the travel or necessary bulk to really handle bigger riding. Hence, you needing a replacement every 6 months!

    I don't see them promoting this bike in anyway, shape or form like the Preston was previously touted. This is a XC/trailbike....not supposed to replace a Covert or any other model.

    Cheers,
    EB

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    260
    very nice !
    this is what should be done on the Covert, straight toptube without gusset
    very interested to see the colors chosen

  21. #21
    Gnar
    Reputation: Jet Fuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    476
    I like it. A lot

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees
    Do I spy adjustable seatpost cable guides on the top tube?
    I think the proto covert had them also? I wish mine had them!

  23. #23
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,663
    I like it.

    JMH

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    870
    May is the likely in the shop date so you have plenty of time to drool. Also, New Bottlerockets due in February/March so get your preorder in!
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kyle509's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    877
    Geo is different than a preston. Looks like a nice little trail bike to me.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,886
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp
    I think the proto covert had them also? I wish mine had them!
    Those were guides for routing the FD cable on the proto.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_Money
    May is the likely in the shop date so you have plenty of time to drool. Also, New Bottlerockets due in February/March so get your preorder in!
    Specs/Pricing on the new rockets?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1
    Any idea what travel fork this was intended to have?

  29. #29
    ride like you stole it
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    681
    V1 covert anyone?
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees
    Those were guides for routing the FD cable on the proto.
    i see.

  31. #31
    lives to ride
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,096
    Looks great! I can see me riding one of these, just don't know where the money will come from.

    I'd love to see a 29er version too, but for those talking about it remember it's not as simple as just designing the frame. Transition spec an in-house wheelset on their bikes - a 29er build means either spec'ing a third party product, or having a 29er rim made. Either of these may be cost prohibitive and may not enable them to provide a complete build at the price point that they would like to see.

    I would like to hear about the proto though, Vorar.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shanem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    513
    Looks like a great trail bike. At least for me. Its nice to see someone making something in this range of travel. 100mm isn't quite enough and 140mm is just a bit too much. At 130mm they kind of leave it open to you to what kind of bike you want to build up based on your fork choice. Personally I'd see a 100-140mm Talas killing on this bike. If I hadn't just bought a new FS bike this Fall I'd be giving this one a serious look.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,886
    Can't wait to see the available colors! The black is so nice though . . . And I like the older, simple "Transition" frame decals versus the newer "graphics kits" that are applied under the clearcoat like on the newer Coverts, TR450s, etc.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    77
    i like the older frame decals as well, and hope Transition uses them for this frame

  35. #35
    think
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by spcarter
    V1 covert anyone?
    Not exactly. Way steeper seat tube, almost a pound less metal in the frame, and designed to use it's rear travel differently it seems. I would like to compare one side by side (or is that ride by ride?) with my V1 though.

    I think it's a good looking bike. If I had the requisite 7 large I would order up one of these and one of the new Blindsides and be pretty much set for anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees
    Can't wait to see the available colors! The black is so nice though . . . And I like the older, simple "Transition" frame decals versus the newer "graphics kits" that are applied under the clearcoat like on the newer Coverts, TR450s, etc.
    I can't agree with this enough.

  36. #36
    Dudette
    Reputation: petey15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,372
    +1 for the older frame decals! I'm intrigued by this bike and think it would serve my purposes nicely - just enough travel for what I ride around here.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Exactly what I am looking for right now for endurance/adventure racing bike.

    Too bad it is not yet up for sale. Hmm.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by MqtRider
    why not produce an AM 29er? I love you guys, but I think you're missing the boat, or a big chunk of the market place, the 29" crowd, which is growing faster than any other single segment of bike lines.
    All the market considerations aside.

    There is no replacement for suspension travel and slack headangle. I was shopping for a while for a FS 29r for endurance racing, tried many, and I found that travel more then 100mm does not fit me well (5'8"), and that I prefer the kind of stability from the slack HT and longer travel up front and back. And lighter weight. And 2'4" tires that are still very light. 650b would have been a better compromise for me, but lightweight high volume tires are not very much available.

    I bet Transition will come out with 29r - I just would not care for one.
    Last edited by Broccoli; 12-08-2010 at 02:17 PM.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boostin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    882
    I would ride it

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6
    I wonder if the tubular seatstays are staying or if they will change to rectangular section on the production version like the V2 covert?

  41. #41
    No Gansta Lean here.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,018
    Might have missed it but was the ETA mentioned?
    I read or heard May but a dealer mentioned a poss. March release?
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

  42. #42
    I walk the line
    Reputation: BluKoolaide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    56
    Oooooooooo, I want, I want!

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    602
    Definitely not looking at March here. We are aiming for May availability but it is too early to count on that date.

  44. #44
    I walk the line
    Reputation: BluKoolaide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes
    Definitely not looking at March here. We are aiming for May availability but it is too early to count on that date.
    Come on, channel your inner SantaCruz and promise us January!

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedal Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,132
    bring me a 29er next!!!!

    hard tail and full squish
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,764
    Colors?

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    328
    I'm gutted it's not gonna be available till May, I would have ordered one yesterday. Looks like I'll be getting an ASR5 instead.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by matmattmatthew
    I'm gutted it's not gonna be available till May, I would have ordered one yesterday. Looks like I'll be getting an ASR5 instead.
    I have just ordered Rotwild R.C1 FS frame instead. Dude listed as US distributor selling out 2009 stock. 120mm but should be ok. My TransAm will remain lonely.

  49. #49
    Rebmem Rbtm
    Reputation: claydough001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    249
    I love Transition. Was about to pull the trigger on the TransAm. I love the bike and if i had the money i would buy every bike they offer. I love the company and what they are all about. They have awsome customer service. That being said i dont have a lot of money but that won't stop me from buying ONE expensive bike. I too want a 29'er bike from Transition simply because of the type riding i do. I could go buy from other companies and get a nice 9er but i want a Transition bike. I love those guys and love their bikes.

  50. #50
    dirty hippy mountainbiker
    Reputation: wolfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,153
    Placing my order...

    -M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •