Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If it's a 49mm lower like mine then you can't run a zero stack w/ tapered steerer. You need an external lower cup like this one:
    Amazon.com: Cane Creek 40-Series Traditional Bottom for 49mm Head Tube: Sports & Outdoors.
    Last edited by marti163; 09-08-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    So only got partial build done today - headset I bought didnt fit. I purchased a Cane Creek ZS 44/28.6 upper, ZS 56/40 and the bottom cup appears to be to big for the frame.

Build looks great though.

Any tips on correct lower hS cup size for ZS with a tapered steereer?
    What year is your frame?
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the assists. I've got it all together, had to make some adjustments on brakes, and swap the cassette b/c the pg950 was worn and chain would jump when the turbos kicked in.

New brake pads, rear hose & bled both today the bolted up an old 11-27 cassette. My thighs can thank me later.

Still needing to balance out the rockyshocky's but prelim riding around reservoir feels good & balanced. Hoping to get dom hills in next week. Wish me luck on the climbs with a 34/27 as lowest ratio.

It'll be fun!
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    5'10" rider coming from an older 05 Kona Stinky (Lyrik 160mm, 1x9, more AM than anything) with a ETT of 23.2" running a Thomson setback post (with the saddle still slammed way back) and a 70mm stem, WB of 45.6" and still complaining of being cramped and too small of a bike, I'm trying to see what size Bandit frame I should be looking for my brother. Transition's sizing guide puts him on either medium (5'6"-5'10") or large frame (5'10"-6'2") . He rode my large Transition TransAM a few years ago with a 70mm stem and he said it was too stretched (but that was three years ago and he was still a highschool freshman, grew a bit since then), but reading all these Bandit reviews, they say it's more of an upright riding position on the Bandit (which he prefers) and they run kinda small to begin with. To compare, the ETT between the large TransAM (24.25" )and large Bandit (23.5", WB 44.7") is almost an inch. So I'm thinking with a straight post (dropper Reverb) and staying with a 70mm stem, or going down to 50mm, the large Bandit should work for him, no?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Let the build begin! Stoked to have a Transition back in the quiver, bought this frame to replace my brother's aging Stinky that's too small for him (even with a longer stem and setback Thomson post, not the most current pic). The frame itself is so much lighter than what he has currently, I plan on swapping most components over with a few key changes, and most importantly a Reverb as well.

konahonzo

mtbr member
    I'm regretting not buying a Bandit back when I was in the market for a new bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just finished building mine. First day out yesterday. Will ride it a little bit more before giving a proper feed back. Awsome bike so far. Love it so much already. That is a big change from my previous Scott Scale.

Introducing the Bandit-img_4407.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Introducing the Bandit

Very nice

mtbr member
    I have never really taken pics of my brother's recently built OG Transition Bandit V1 that I pieced together for him this winter. Some parts I transferred over from his first mountain bike that he started on 3 years ago, but most of the stuff has been upgraded. But still OG by today's standards. He's quite stoked and says it's night and day difference from the previous ride.

- Transition Bandit 26 V1 Size Large 19.5"
    - Fox Shox RP23 BV 130mm travel
    - 2009 Rockshox Lyrik Solo Air 160mm
    - FSA Gravity DX Pro headset
    - Atomlab Pimplite wheelset (failed miserably to convert to ghetto tubeless)
    - 2.4 Maxxis Ardents, rocking tubes
    - Shimano SLX M665 brakes 203/180mm rotors
    - Shimano SLX M660 cranks
    - Shimano XT M770 Bottom Bracket
    - E.13 Guidering 32T
    - Shimano Saint M810 SS derailleur, 9 speed
    - Shimano XT M770 11-34 cassette
    - Shimano SLX M660 Rapidfire shifter
    - Shimano XT Chain
    - MRP Lopes SL chainguide
    - Chromag Fubars OSX, 780mm wide, 25mm rise
    - ODI Rogue lock-on grips
    - Thomson X4 50mm stem
    - 2012 Rockshox Reverb 420x125mm post
    - WTB Deva SLT saddle
    - Shimano XT M785 SPD pedals (first year clipless)
    - DKG Flip-lock QR clamp

konahonzo

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Looks awesome! I'd lower that Lyrik to 140-150, but if he likes it at 160, go for it. I've got a 160 Fox 34 on the front of mine and find it a little too slack and clumsy during slower, technical riding. I think with the taller a-c of the lyrik, 140mm would be the sweet spot. Bike will rip the downhills though!

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I have never really taken pics of my brother's recently built OG Transition Bandit V1 that I pieced together for him this winter. Some parts I transferred over from his first mountain bike that he started on 3 years ago, but most of the stuff has been upgraded. But still OG by today's standards. He's quite stoked and says it's night and day difference from the previous ride.

- Transition Bandit 26 V1 Size Large 19.5"
    - Fox Shox RP23 BV 130mm travel
    - 2009 Rockshox Lyrik Solo Air 160mm
    - FSA Gravity DX Pro headset
    - Atomlab Pimplite wheelset (failed miserably to convert to ghetto tubeless)
    - 2.4 Maxxis Ardents, rocking tubes
    - Shimano SLX M665 brakes 203/180mm rotors
    - Shimano SLX M660 cranks
    - Shimano XT M770 Bottom Bracket
    - E.13 Guidering 32T
    - Shimano Saint M810 SS derailleur, 9 speed
    - Shimano XT M770 11-34 cassette
    - Shimano SLX M660 Rapidfire shifter
    - Shimano XT Chain
    - MRP Lopes SL chainguide
    - Chromag Fubars OSX, 780mm wide, 25mm rise
    - ODI Rogue lock-on grips
    - Thomson X4 50mm stem
    - 2012 Rockshox Reverb 420x125mm post
    - WTB Deva SLT saddle
    - Shimano XT M785 SPD pedals (first year clipless)
    - DKG Flip-lock QR clamp

mtbr member
    Anyone running the 26er Bandit with 27.5 wheels?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    great timing. ive got a set of 27.5 wheels that should be showing up on my doorstep today! will report back after i've had a chance to ride more than around the block.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dejock View Post
    great timing. ive got a set of 27.5 wheels that should be showing up on my doorstep today! will report back after i've had a chance to ride more than around the block.
    What wheels did you go with? I'm thinking of a couple of changes this winter, Fox 34 27.5 up front, Sun Ringle Charger 27.5 and 2.4/2.25 Maxxis Ardents. Or find a V1 Bandit 29 frame.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I managed to get my paws on a set of ringle inferno 25's laced to dt 350's with ardents and rotors for dirt cheap for this experiment. I think the ardents are on the narrower side, something like 2.25ish. If you're looking into a new fork, I'd highly recommend a Manitou Mattoc. MUCH better damping (in my opinion) than the Fox 34 it replaced, super adjustable (have mine lowered to 140mm) and the 26" version is 27.5"-capable (parts are included).

Although I've also been riding my Nimble 9 a bit and am really liking the larger wheels. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't eyeing the closeout 29er bandits from transition right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I managed to get my paws on a set of ringle inferno 25's laced to dt 350's with ardents and rotors for dirt cheap for this experiment. I think the ardents are on the narrower side, something like 2.25ish. If you're looking into a new fork, I'd highly recommend a Manitou Mattoc. MUCH better damping (in my opinion) than the Fox 34 it replaced, super adjustable (have mine lowered to 140mm) and the 26" version is 27.5"-capable (parts are included).

Although I've also been riding my Nimble 9 a bit and am really liking the larger wheels. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't eyeing the closeout 29er bandits from transition right now.
    any update on this experiment??

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Sadly, no. Lousy weather + Christmas holiday + nasty cold have kept me off the bike. I have the wheels mounted, and bottom-out clearance is fine, but no real test ride yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    $1,066 for the 2014 frame (pricepoint) - is this a good deal?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    27.5 update: wow.

Got a decent ride in (14 miles, 4500' up, 4500' down) over the weekend with the 650b'd bandit. definitely a noticeable difference compared to the 26" wheels with regards to rollover, and the marginal bottom bracket height increase was welcomed. If you're on the fence, go ahead and do it, just make sure you run a narrower tire. I'm running Maxxis Ardent 2.25 front and rear on Ringle Inferno 25's, and I've got plenty of room to spare beneath the fork crown and seat tube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I didn't see this on the website. Is it for the 26er frame or the 27.5? Either way, solid price. I say go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by odyssey12305 View Post
    $1,066 for the 2014 frame (pricepoint) - is this a good deal?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I didn't see this on the website. Is it for the 26er frame or the 27.5? Either way, solid price. I say go for it!
    looking at both 29 & 27.5. If you add to cart, they'll deduct 15% off the price plus shipping. Can't decide which one

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by davet View Post
    All built up, still working out tire choices and it'll likely get a front derailleur on it soon but I'm pretty happy with the looks of it. Time to get it dirty!

So fast forward 3 years and the old Bandit was getting a bit tired. I thought about something new, I mean who doesn't but I just couldn't find anything I didn't like my Bandit. So I resisted the new bike itch and gave the old girl a rebuild. Stripped down, new powdercoat and decals, fork, shock, drivetrain and it's like a new bike again!

folks over at VitalMTB seemed to like the rebuild too https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBrCsrOUEAEvZ5S.jpg:large
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Bandit-p5pb12079176.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Man, that looks absolutely sinister in black! Nice work. How are you liking the Mattoc? I'm a big fan of mine.

Here's my bandit (green, without the 650b's) and my buddy's covert, both with Mattocs...

Introducing the Bandit-2014-11-29-11.55.18.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Man, that looks absolutely sinister in black! Nice work. How are you liking the Mattoc? I'm a big fan of mine.

Here's my bandit (green, without the 650b's) and my buddy's covert, both with Mattocs...
    Thanks, loving the Mattoc so far, and the McLeod rear shock as well. I always felt that Fox air shocks were a bit soggy mid travel. The McLeod has none of that.

Nice bikes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by davet View Post
    Thanks, loving the Mattoc so far, and the McLeod rear shock as well. I always felt that Fox air shocks were a bit soggy mid travel. The McLeod has none of that.

Nice bikes!
    after a couple of good rides, I'm amazed at the transformation of this little bike. I always liked the feel of the Bandit before, but it felt a bit squirrely on the fast and rougher stuff. With the new suspension this bike is a bomber. I'm hitting lines that I'd never think of trying before, it begs to go faster.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Has anyone ever thought about running a shorter shock on their Bandit? I know there's a thread or two somewhere about Santa Cruz Heckler owners short-shocking their bikes. Just wondering if anyone has thought about it or tried it, bottom bracket concerns aside.

Good idea? Bad idea? Great (hopefully) idea?

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Would off set bushings give you the same effect, lower and slacker, but cheaper than a new shock and you don't lose any travel?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboardorblade View Post
    Would off set bushings give you the same effect, lower and slacker, but cheaper than a new shock and you don't lose any travel?
    Probably, yes, but my motivation for this is to actually reduce the travel, maybe right around 100-110 mm and then lower my fork down to ~120mm.

At this point, it's all wild speculation, but I feel like a bandit with less travel and a slightly lower bottom bracket (but keeping the same geo) would be an absolute riot to ride.

I have a Smuggler as my main bike now, so I'm trying to think of a way to re- purpose the Bandit that doesn't involve hanging the frame on the wall as art. One thing I've realized is that its not the amount of travel you have, but how its used. In my case, I feel like less is more.

Curious to see what other suggestions are out there, or if what I'm proposing is even in the realm of possibility.

mtbr member
    Interesting....

I recently got (2nd owner) a Bandit29. Original owner was running a 150mm Pike... but, sold it to me with a 130mm Sektor.

I don't mind the Sektor as I have one on my 650b AM horse (@140mm).

However, I feel like I'm missing out on something not having at least a 140mm fork on it.

Thoughts??

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    The Sektor is a great fork, what about seeing if there's any travel spacers in there you can pull, and shretch it out to 140 or 150?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboardorblade View Post
    The Sektor is a great fork, what about seeing if there's any travel spacers in there you can pull, and shretch it out to 140 or 150?

Done my research and the Sektor does come in a 130mm version...

Asked original owner about it, and that's how he got it ^^

Time to start saving pennies for a 140 something or other.

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??

mtbr member
    Ah bummer. X-Fusion makes a great product, and it's cheaper than the almighty Pike. Which would also be a great way to go.

mtbr member
    Loving the Bandit...

Haven't been on my Kona Process 134 since I got it...

Will give the old girl some love this weekend, sometime ;-)

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad ™

mtbr member
    Marker II

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Members who have read this thread: 4