Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    Lee, how does the Bandit compare to the Norco Shinobi you recently reviewed? And why on earth would they give you that bike with weight weenie SB8s?
    I had to swap to an Ardent for front. The SB8 is terrifying in anything other than glorified bike paths. The Shinobi is quite a bit more sluggish climbing It's got a more monster truck feeling downhill - the Bandit is much more playful.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am curious what geometry differences between the Bandit and Bottlerocket (other than weight) make the Bandit a good climber and the BR not so much? The pivot locations are similar and they use the same style linkage. Is the rear wheel path and the compression stroke characteristics that different?

The geometry isn't even all that different - a degree steeper, same CS length...

Just curious!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    I am curious what geometry differences between the Bandit and Bottlerocket (other than weight) make the Bandit a good climber and the BR not so much? The pivot locations are similar and they use the same style linkage. Is the rear wheel path and the compression stroke characteristics that different?

The geometry isn't even all that different - a degree steeper, same CS length...

Just curious!
    Very different bikes. The Bottlerocket was TR original park bike. The Bandit falls under the "trail bike" category. Although they have similar travel and HA, the similarities stop there. The Bandit is lighter, built around a 130-150mm fork, has a longer and steeper ST and is meant for general trail riding. The BR is a little tank, built for taking abuse. Most riders have the BR set up with 160+mm forks and DH parts. It also has a lower stand over and slacker geometry. Along with the low standover comes a short ST and slack SA.

Demo both and you will quickly feel the differences in these two cool bikes.

TG

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I actually have a Bottlerocket (and love the hell out of it - perfect bike for the north shore, which is what I ride almost exclusively). It bobs a fair bit on climbs, which is a totally acceptable compromise to get such an active suspension. All I am saying is the Bandit's suspension looks equally active, even though I know it's a competent climber.

I would love to try a Bandit out - though I'm worried if I try a Bandit Two9 I'll end up with another bike.

JB
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    I had to swap to an Ardent for front. The SB8 is terrifying in anything other than glorified bike paths. The Shinobi is quite a bit more sluggish climbing It's got a more monster truck feeling downhill - the Bandit is much more playful.
    Sounds like if you had to choose between the two, you would go with the bandit? Shorter stays and WB make it more fun?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post

Just curious!
    Pivot location is actually considerably higher on the Bandit than on the Bottlerocket. Bottlerocket was built around "old school" 22/32 ring combos. Bandit is based around a 2x10 setup with inner ring sizes of 26 or 28 teeth. Aside from the lighter weight and steeper seat/head angle, that pivot location makes a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Pivot location is actually considerably higher on the Bandit than on the Bottlerocket. Bottlerocket was built around "old school" 22/32 ring combos. Bandit is based around a 2x10 setup with inner ring sizes of 26 or 28 teeth. Aside from the lighter weight and steeper seat/head angle, that pivot location makes a huge difference.
    Thanks! That's a good point - if I swap out the single ring front for a dual ring setup (I have the current stock build), the Bottlerocket would climb noticeably better in the little ring, wouldn't it? I hadn't even thought of that, and I do like to fight gravity sometimes too!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    Sounds like if you had to choose between the two, you would go with the bandit? Shorter stays and WB make it more fun?
    I think its a combination of everything - lighter weight; compact frame. A bike you can throw around/ Super playful - little whips off everything. Very "poppy". The Shinobi is monster truckish but I already have a Demo 8 for that kind of feeling if you know what I mean? It's hard to describe how much fun the Bandit puts into one package - imo that Bandit 2 is the best value for money bike I've ridden in a long long time

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

transition bolivia

hey guys, my buddy travis at andean adventures is trying to talk me into one of your bikes, i'm only about 5'2" and inseam maybe 28, i have a titus motolite xs back in the states that works well for me. do you think a small bandit will work for me?????

Just roll it......
    Lars shredding SST on his Bandit. Some big moves here that, frankly, don't look big at all on the vid.

This was for our "Shoot the Trails" event on Saturday.
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/29561447" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/29561447">The Decision</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user4108505">Transition Bikes</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

mtbr member

You sure thats not a Covert?

Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Lars shredding SST on his Bandit. Some big moves here that, frankly, don't look big at all on the vid.

This was for our "Shoot the Trails" event on Saturday.
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/29561447" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/29561447">The Decision</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user4108505">Transition Bikes</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    Sure looks like a Covert to me. 36 up front. Shock's front mount is on the downtube, not the top tube like a Bandit.

Just roll it......
    LOL....actually I think you're correct. He just built up his Covert a couple weeks ago. I totally forgot about that. Zoot allors!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How does the Bandit compare to the yeti asr5 or a pivot mach 5.7? Any and all opinions welcomed. Thanks!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tcoffman View Post
    How does the Bandit compare to the yeti asr5 or a pivot mach 5.7? Any and all opinions welcomed. Thanks!
    I've got a Pivot Mach 5 and have ridden a Mach 5.7. They're comparable on steeps; perhaps a bit better climbing (by that I mean there's almost no bob) but the Bandit's much much much more playful. It wants to be manualled, popped, getting small little airs all over the place. You can't put the seat down much on the Pivots due to the seat mast being tall. But I love the Bandit for what it is. Decent climber and fantastic good descender. But the Pivot feels like driving with your mum as passenger if you know what I mean

I tried a Yeti ASR5 once and only for half a day and was underwhelmed. It felt like a xc bike that pretended to be long-travel. I doubt that makes much sense but basically it just did not feel right. Perhaps it was setup as it was a demo bike. So take my impression with a rather large grain of salt.

(edited to clarify what bike I was referring to)
    Last edited by LeeL; 10-29-2011 at 10:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the input. That's pretty much what I've gathered after reading these boards. Any reports of durability issues with the Bandit? From what I hear Transition makes tough bikes. Thanks!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Problem is at 160 lbs I'm not going to stress a bike out too much. I know bigger guys riding them and will ask around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've had the good fortune of riding Lee's Bandit for the past couple of days and have been pleasantly surprised. I'd all but given up on single pivot bikes for the past few years so I didn't know what to expect. This bike pedals well, extremely well. My last couple of rides have had 1/2 hour to 45 minute climbs, some fire road and some singletrack. There's no noticeable bob, propedal on or off. On the decents the bike feels like it's got a lot more than 130mm of travel. I weigh 210lbs and with the sag set at 25% this thing feels great. It sucks up the chunder, roots, rocks whatever you throw at it. I didn't feel any pedal feedback in the rough stuff. I'm primarily a downhill rider and am used to 7.5"+ travel so I was quite surprised at how well I enjoyed this short travel goodness.

Just my thoughts after a couple of rides. I can't wait to get a few more and I think I'm going to hate to give it back to Lee! Hmmm, who is my nearest Transition dealer.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    oh, regarding durability...I know a few guys riding larger Transition bikes and they've proven to be pretty bombproof. One buddy has put his Covert through more abuse than most full on DH bikes and it's still as fresh as the day it was new. So if the Bandit holds tradition there shouldn't be any issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Great! Thanks for the reply. I think I know what I'll be getting in the near future! Sounds like a great bike from a great company. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I met a female rider today on my local xc trails on a Bandit. It was awesome seeing one in person & quite the surprise (I rarely see anyone not on namebrand xc bikes). The rider that was with her, was on a BLINDSIDE! I was even more surprised seeing that beast of a bike...he'll be doing a lot of hike-a-bike.

Love seeing Transition Bikes in person. In the past I've seen 2 TransAM's & a Preston.

The Bandit looks like it'd be super fun for my local trails!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    just an update that I'm still absolutely loving the Bandit, in fact I'm going to duck Lee for a few more days until I can get out and shoot a few photos of it this weekend.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Dave! No rush. It's good to get a second opinion specially since you've ridden quite a few bikes yourself

mtbr member
    Here ya go, gunt pimp!

Specs:

Frame: Bandit (M)
    Fork: X-Fusion Vengeance HLR
    Shock: X-Fusion O2 RCX
    Wheels: Rear King/Front Transition on Mavic 521s
    Cranks: Truvativ AKA
    Chainring: Homebrewed Spiderless 28T
    Pedals: Shminao XT M785
    Brakes: Shimano XTR M985 Levers with XT M775 calipers
    Bars: Deity Dirty Thirty
    Stem: Thomson
    Seat: WTB Silverado
    Seat post: Thomson
    Seat Collar: Hope
    Grips: Ergon GA-1
    Headset: Cane Creek
    Shifter: Sram X.0 Trigger
    Derailleur: Sram X9 Short Cage
    Tires: Rear Schwalbe Wicked Will/Front Muddy Mary

Loving it!!!
    Last edited by in the trees; 11-16-2011 at 05:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice looking ride. What size front chain ring you got going on there. Never seen one that small (assuming a 1x9 set-up).
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Here ya go, gunt pimp!

Specs:

Loving it!!!
    That's hot!!!
    konahonzo

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Nice photo Dave!

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Might have missed one, but any shots of Small frame builds?
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    is that a 140 or 150mm on the Bandit?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am on the borderline of a L or XL frame at 187 cms. I had a go on a demo L bandit and it did seem a bit short in the TT. Do you think i would be better of running an XL with short stem? Frame size is a bit bigger than what i normally ride though at 21 inch vs 19.5.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Here ya go, gunt pimp!

Specs:

Loving it!!!
    how does it feel on the top tube?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Thanks Dave! No rush. It's good to get a second opinion specially since you've ridden quite a few bikes yourself
    well it didn't take long, I ordered my frame tonight.

I swear planning the build is almost as much fun as riding the bike....almost!

mtbr member
    Here ya go, gunt pimp!

Specs:

Loving it!!!

Nice looking bike!

How do you find the AKA crankset? Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin View Post
    Nice looking bike!

How do you find the AKA crankset? Cheers!
    The AKAs are perfectly fine. I wanted to be able to run a spiderless ring (HBC) when the cranks were on my TransAm, and decided to with them. I think the ability to run a spider or spiderless is pretty slick. They have a good weight and are reasonably priced and I do not foresee any durability issues. I did recently switch from 175mm to 170mm on the Bandit though. Need a set of 175s?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The AKAs are perfectly fine. I wanted to be able to run a spiderless ring (HBC) when the cranks were on my TransAm, and decided to with them. I think the ability to run a spider or spiderless is pretty slick. They have a good weight and are reasonably priced and I do not foresee any durability issues. I did recently switch from 175mm to 170mm on the Bandit though. Need a set of 175s?
    175 aka?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    175 aka?
    Yup - PM me.

mtbr member
    thats a good looking bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by davet View Post
    well it didn't take long, I ordered my frame tonight.

I swear planning the build is almost as much fun as riding the bike....almost!
    stay tuned!

mtbr member
    Cool! Very nice color selection with the frame and components. Can't wait to see it built!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    stay tuned!

can you make sure to list a weight? my proposed build should be pretty close to yours!
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wangamachang View Post
    can you make sure to list a weight? my proposed build should be pretty close to yours!
    thanks!
    for sure

my guess/goal puts it 27ish when complete.
    Last edited by davet; 12-31-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Propr
    That's gonna look sick...I can tell already!

Like how the frame is floating in mid-air.
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    size?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    medium

mtbr member
    wow! unless im missing something thats lighter than transition advertise

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    stay tuned!

Burke loam destroyer!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    for sure

my guess/goal puts it 27ish when complete.
    I assume a 44 RC3 Ti going on the front?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I assume a 44 RC3 Ti going on the front?
    Manitou Minute Pro 140

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post

what a trail and Lars has just a very smooth ridin' amazing

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast