Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I assume a 44 RC3 Ti going on the front?
    i'm running this fork (150mm) on a Covert '10, the perfect Fork for an trailbike like the Bandit.
    If im changing to a Bandit it would definitely move to it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flowbike View Post
    i'm running this fork (150mm) on a Covert '10, the perfect Fork for an trailbike like the Bandit.
    If im changing to a Bandit it would definitely move to it.
    I've heard nothing but amazing things about this fork. Trying to track down a 2011 one cheap for my next trail bike. Really like the grey over the new white. I have an aversion to white bike parts, try to avoid them at all costs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i've seen some cheap 2010 models recently. i think the 140mm would also be nice as Transition is also using 140 forks in their builds.
    Here is a photo of a bandit with a 2010 44 RC3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Bandit-2011-09-18_16-14-43_493a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Does anyone have input as to how the Bandit climbs compared to the Titus Moto-Lite?
    I'm ready to upgrade from my ML-1 and I'm down to the Bandit and the Pivot Mach 5.7. From what I have been reading, the Bandit sounds like it's a little more "fun" to ride than the 5.7 but I'm looking for an upgrade in climbing from my Titus.

Any input is appreciated - thanks.

mtbr member
    The 5.7 will definitely be the best upgrade if you want to improve your climbing but I had a demo ride of a bandit and was impressed by the pedal platform with propedal on.. both really cool bikes. I would be more interested which bike is more playful and suspension performance for downhills

edit: im pretty sure the bandit is alot cheaper too
    Last edited by Joel RW; 01-12-2012 at 12:55 AM.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I've ridden both the Pivot Mach 5.7 and the Bandit. Bandits a better downhill bike even with the smaller travel. The Pivots a better climber. Ridden the Bandit mostly around NV/Whistler and the Mach 5.7 in OR and BC
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the input guys - I wish I had a way to demo these bikes but there are no Transition dealers in the whole state of Michigan and my local Pivot dealer only gets 29er's to demo.
    Joel - you are right on about cost, I'd be lying if I said that hasn't been one of the big factors in my frame search.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The bandit build begins!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Bandit-january-2012-162.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How does a bandit with a 160 on the front ride? Let me know. Thanks

mtbr member
    @Wolfboy. Where are the built up pics? You were ripping on it Sunday enough to lose some bark. Bring with the pics.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    I've ridden both the Pivot Mach 5.7 and the Bandit. Bandits a better downhill bike even with the smaller travel. The Pivots a better climber. Ridden the Bandit mostly around NV/Whistler and the Mach 5.7 in OR and BC
    I got more than a few PMs about that so thought I should clarify

The Bandit is most definitely a do-it-all trail bike that has way more downhill ability than a bike with its travel should have. It has (no surprises here) the Transition feel of playfullness and downhill ability. I contrasted it with the 5.7 for uphill only because I was asked. To be clear the 5.7 is an exceptional climber but I didn't think it was close to being as good on the downhill as the Bandit despite having more travel. The Bandit is still a very good climber; certainly better than average. So you'd have trade-offs

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    All built up, just done the one ride so far and wow it rips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Bandit-january-2012-168.jpg  

Introducing the Bandit-january-2012-166.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks light.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Looks light.
    Comes in at 12.4kgs, 27.4 pounds. Not bad i reckon. Will be a little more when i put a reverb on it though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How well/efficent are you guys finding the Bandit climbs?
    I live on the East Coast and am considering the complete 2012 Bandit 1 but not sure how a single pivot will climb some of the medium length but steep rooty climbs that seem to be the norm here.
    Was thinking I could leave the RP23 in the #2 compression setting and all would ve good. Anyone do that?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    getting closer to being done, depending on tire choice it should end up within a 1/2lb of this weight

mtbr member
    Here it is, my bandit, waited on the updated 142mm spacing to pop up, when it did I ordered this guy. The bandit replaces my old covert which was a bit much for the local terrain (and I now own a tr250 for DH/FR). I wrestled with myself on going with the 29íer but settled on the 26 for my riding style. Really amazing bike up close, the parts spec is pretty much exactly what I like with a few exceptions:

- 10spd at some point but had the 9spd stuff around
    - Tires are 2.2 Wetscreams for the bad conditions right now, in the summer Iíll probably run a Highroller/Larson 2.3 combo
    - Lace up the i9 wheels to some ENVE rims later this year
    - Depending on location I will most likely swap the fork for a dropped 36 float

Big plans for this bike over the coming year(s) doing some fairly epic trips in Northern Canada (Yukon), PNW road trip with some riding in Oregon, Washington, North Shore, Whistler, Pemby...Working on some other trips for the coming year but nothing is set in stone. Really psyched to clock some serious miles on this bike.

My finely calibrated hand puts this bike right around 26 lbs. But I really have no idea on exacts.

And the associates
    Last edited by manhattanprjkt83; 01-21-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Cannonball!
    Titec Flat Tracker bars, 700mm?

mtbr member
    indeed i really like the low flat feel of the flats, been running them for a while.

wheelie king
    Nice Bandit. How about another shot of the Audi?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    All built up, still working out tire choices and it'll likely get a front derailleur on it soon but I'm pretty happy with the looks of it. Time to get it dirty!

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 661lee View Post
    Nice Bandit. How about another shot of the Audi?
    Never mind the Audi! How about that fooken unicycle!

Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

mtbr member
    First impressions on the bike is oh my. I got 3 rides in this past week here in the northeast one was a mixed bag of smooth and tech in the dark so it was tough to really get the setup dialed but after that ride I was able to more closely dial in the rear shock.

The second ride was a sloppy as hell technical ish singletrack ride, thank god for those wet screams with the conditions we are having. I was noticing some pedal strikes on my 170mm cranks which isnít normal for me and realized I was probably sagging a bit much so pumped it up a bit and problem solved.

3rd ride was the most technical rock area in the region, area filled with glacial mine fields, chest height log overs, and big mossy rock roll ins. I rode my covert here regularly and didnít really miss it. The bandit was an absolute terror in the rock esp with a set of soft high roller 2.3ís. You can absolutely feel the 142 spacing when it gets nasty. I typically like my suspension setup stiff so I was going back and forth between pro pedal and not. I think I am going to put a few more lbs of pressure in the back and leave the pro pedal off which should be the sweet spot. The bike isnt a freeride bike but you can really push the limits with good line choices...

Fork wise I have been riding that revelation for a while, I think the attitude of this bike really asks for a 34mm or 36mm (dropped to 150) to really shine in the rough. I will probably make an adjustment in the near future. For smoother terrain the 32ís will be just fine. Thatís it for now but Iíll try to post back every now and then.

Few Update Pics...Night Ride

Action Shots

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davet View Post
    All built up, still working out tire choices and it'll likely get a front derailleur on it soon but I'm pretty happy with the looks of it. Time to get it dirty!

This one is beautiful except for brake rotors. You definately should try some more pedal-friendly tires also. I use Conti RQ on my Covert, pretty grippy and roll good.

mtbr member
    got a couple more rides in on the bandit since I last posted, still fiddeling with the rear shock a bit what are you guys running for preasure in the rear? I am about 180 all geared up on the bike and finding it a bit soft with pro pedal off...feedback?

Also really finding i would benefit from a 50mm stem on the bike to bring out even more playfullness, 70mm now...What is everyone running? I am 5'9.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by manhattanprjkt83 View Post
    got a couple more rides in on the bandit since I last posted, still fiddeling with the rear shock a bit what are you guys running for preasure in the rear? I am about 180 all geared up on the bike and finding it a bit soft with pro pedal off...feedback?

Also really finding i would benefit from a 50mm stem on the bike to bring out even more playfullness, 70mm now...What is everyone running? I am 5'9.
    I'm running 25% sag and it feels pretty good. If you think it's soft with the propedal off, you can adjust the level of "off" with the dial on the propedal lever. At #1 I find it a bit soft, but #2 firms it up just right.

WebHelp

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    here's a self shot photo of the Bandit in it's native habitat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gsom111 View Post
    This one is beautiful except for brake rotors. You definately should try some more pedal-friendly tires also. I use Conti RQ on my Covert, pretty grippy and roll good.
    what's with the rotor hate? They work great, and are light. What more can you ask for.

Minions are great for the trails around here at this time of the year. I'll put something a bit faster rolling when things start drying out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davet View Post
    what's with the rotor hate? They work great, and are light. What more can you ask for.
    Rotors look nice, but stock ones should work better because of larger contact surface with brake pads.

Minions are great for the trails around here at this time of the year. I'll put something a bit faster rolling when things start drying out.
    Man, Minions are heavy downhill tyres, they just can't roll good due to weight and sticky compound. I bet you'll just fly on your bike when you change them for something more XC-ish .

Nice photo, btw, wish my local trails looked like that now. But it's only snow everywhere and about a month to wait till it melts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gsom111 View Post
    Rotors look nice, but stock ones should work better because of larger contact surface with brake pads.

Man, Minions are heavy downhill tyres, they just can't roll good due to weight and sticky compound. I bet you'll just fly on your bike when you change them for something more XC-ish .

Nice photo, btw, wish my local trails looked like that now. But it's only snow everywhere and about a month to wait till it melts.
    They are actually give better bite than stock rotors, if they didn't I wouldn't use them. I started using them on my dh bike a few years back as an experiment and have stuck with them every since.

Those are single ply Minions, around 800g and I run them tubeless. Our terrain is wet, rocky and rooty, pure xc tires are pretty much useless unless it's dry.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, every riding area has it's own needs.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy View Post
    All built up, just done the one ride so far and wow it rips.
    Not the best quality vid, but here is a short one of Wolfboy on one of his Bandits first rides. I am following him on my Tracer.

mtbr member
    Any Trans Am riders out there that switched to a Bandit? What are your impressions on the ride and geo of the Bandit? I love the slack geo on my Trans Am w/ a talas 160. I'm not sure if I want to give up the hard tail yet.
    Transition Covert|Transition Bandit|Transition TR450

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here's a picture of me on my 2011 Bandit in my first bike race ever: the True Grit Epic: 50 miles, 6000+ feet climbing in Utah this past weekend. Out of 200+ racers, I'm pretty sure I was the only person riding flat-pedals and one of very few people on 26" wheels. I managed to finish in the top half of the field, so I'm very happy with how my Bandit performed--can't say enough good things about this bike. This was actually a surprisingly technical course in places.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Bandit-wheel-addict_bandit.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel-addict View Post
    Here's a picture of me on my 2011 Bandit in my first bike race ever: the True Grit Epic: 50 miles, 6000+ feet climbing in Utah this past weekend. Out of 200+ racers, I'm pretty sure I was the only person riding flat-pedals and one of very few people on 26" wheels. I managed to finish in the top half of the field, so I'm very happy with how my Bandit performed--can't say enough good things about this bike. This was actually a surprisingly technical course in places.
    Congratulations on your finish, that's great to finish in the top half in your first race!
    Nice picture too, you look like you are having a good time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhshuttlemonkey View Post
    Any Trans Am riders out there that switched to a Bandit? What are your impressions on the ride and geo of the Bandit? I love the slack geo on my Trans Am w/ a talas 160. I'm not sure if I want to give up the hard tail yet.
    I just went from a TA to a bandit. No regrets. It has all the things I loved about the TA : its nimble, responsive, and super playful on the downhills. But now I have 5 inches of travel in the rear which makes it even more fun! For where I ride (The front range of Colorado) and how I ride the bandit is perfect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hey, just picked up a bandit frame, what travel are you guys running on the front? im on a bit of a budget and just ordered a 2012 dual coil sektor 150mm, my local lbs threw in some revolution 28 wheels which run a 20mm axle so had to go 20mm maxle, hopefully the build wont be too heavy with these as i allready have a 250 for downhill, any feedback be great thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Scratch that! Canceeled the coil sektor, went with air revelation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

First Ride

First time a bike is better than I am. Super poppy off the jumps... had to actually slow down since I was flying a bit too far. Had time to think about where the landing went while in the air.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Bandit-transition.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

mine.

having trouble with play in my rear linkage seems the bushing wear out quick.

but love it

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by meattray View Post

having trouble with play in my rear linkage seems the bushing wear out quick.

but love it
    mine came loose after a few rides. I just tightened it up and it's been fine since. When I felt the play I checked the pivot bolts and they were tight, but after loosening them off and retightening them, all the play disappeared. It's good practice to check all the fasteners on your bike after a few initial rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Did all that. Then called transition they said replace the bushings

mtbr member
    I pulled the trigger on Bandit yesterday. Thanks to the guys at Drop N Zone.
    Transition Covert|Transition Bandit|Transition TR450

eci
    Picked up my bandit yesterday. Medium Frame, Green

6.90 lbs with rear axle and headset cups. Can't wait to get this baby built up. pics and details to follow

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Have one on the way, size Medium.

Planning on running with 150mm Revs. I had presumed this would be absolutley fine.
    I notice the kit builds are all 140mm, - even the option with Revelations is at 140mm.

Anyone with any issues running 150mm forks?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by manhattanprjkt83 View Post

I'm about your weight with gear and I run 155 psi in the shock and generally keep the shock in the open position in the "1" setting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aroche View Post
    Have one on the way, size Medium.

Planning on running with 150mm Revs. I had presumed this would be absolutley fine.
    I notice the kit builds are all 140mm, - even the option with Revelations is at 140mm.

Anyone with any issues running 150mm forks?
    I run a Sektor coil u-turn 150mm on mine with blackbox dampers and haven't had any issues with it since November. I run an angleset tho too so my head angle is probably around 66.5-67 deg. BB height is ~12.75".

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by meattray View Post
    Did all that. Then called transition they said replace the bushings
    Where are the bushings? I thought the bandit had cartridge bearing pivots.

eci

2012 Bandit

Here's my Bandit Fully Built
    Bandit Green Frame Medium
    Rock Shox Revelation Dual Position
    XO Cranks
    X9 Drivetrain
    Sunline Flat Bars
    Hope Stem
    Hope 819 wheels
    Minion 2.35 Front
    Specialized Eskar 2.35 Rear
    Specialized Blacklite command post

Total Weight 30.01 Lbs

Going to move the rear to tubelss to shave off another lb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Bandit-banditbuild.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz View Post
    Here's my Bandit Fully Built
    Bandit Green Frame Medium
    Rock Shox Revelation Dual Position
    XO Cranks
    X9 Drivetrain
    Sunline Flat Bars
    Hope Stem
    Hope 819 wheels
    Minion 2.35 Front
    Specialized Eskar 2.35 Rear
    Specialized Blacklite command post

Total Weight 30.01 Lbs

Going to move the rear to tubelss to shave off another lb.
    I would have thought a build like that would have come in much lighter! Doesn't look to be anything too porky there....
    Bandit 1 kit build is quoted at 26lbs approx so I was hoping to build mine (medium) to less than 28lbs with a reverb, not so sure that's a runner now!

eci
    I would have thought a build like that would have come in much lighter! Doesn't look to be anything too porky there....
    Bandit 1 kit build is quoted at 26lbs approx so I was hoping to build mine (medium) to less than 28lbs with a reverb, not so sure that's a runner now!
    My wheels, bar, stem, saddle and brakes arent light. Im guessing 26 lbs with a dropper is completely doable if you went weight weenie on the build. Heres where i may loose weight

Bars 1/4 lb
    Rear wheel tubeless 1 lb
    Brakes 1/2 lb

That would put me a hair over 28 with a pretty solid build on the bike.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Any gurus want to help me out with chain length?

38/24 chainrings
    11-36 cassette

I did the let the air out, run the chain around the big rings and add 2 links trick which seemed to be the 114 link length that was supplied. Seems too long now that it's together. It's been a long day too so it's likely my brain isn't working.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4 View Post
    Any gurus want to help me out with chain length?

38/24 chainrings
    11-36 cassette

I did the let the air out, run the chain around the big rings and add 2 links trick which seemed to be the 114 link length that was supplied. Seems too long now that it's together. It's been a long day too so it's likely my brain isn't working.
    are you running it through the derailleur (when doing adding on the 2 links)?
    If so, - don't think you're supposed to

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Forgive me if it was already covered, Can the 2011 frame be retrofitted to run 142mm?

mtbr member

Bandit with a 160?

So I just purchased a new Bandit frame. I have a complete build kit, which is full XT with a few other bells and whistles

My biggest question is that I have a new 2011 Marz 55 Ti Air in 160mm that has never been used. It was going to be for a different bike but it never got built. I was thinking of running this fork as is in the 160 mode.

Does anyone have any experience with a Bandit at 160? Or should I look into finding a way to reduce the travel of the Marz?

I think that the added stiffness would be a good thing, and overall I'm not too worried about the extra weight as it really won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

The bike is mainly going to be an Enduro, Super D, Technical XC, Goofing off type of bike.

Thanks!
    Jeff

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    hey there jeff - someone else asked about that in a separate thread in this forum. Short answer is it''ll be fine but will alter geo a bit

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    are you running it through the derailleur (when doing adding on the 2 links)?
    If so, - don't think you're supposed to
    Good call! That's what I did. Time to finish it off tonight when I'm not so tired!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    hey there jeff - someone else asked about that in a separate thread in this forum. Short answer is it''ll be fine but will alter geo a bit
    Altering the geo is fine. That doesn't really bother me in the slightest. I was hoping to hear some impressions on how it rode at the 160 range. Well I guess I'll just have to post my own impressions!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by monty797 View Post
    Altering the geo is fine. That doesn't really bother me in the slightest. I was hoping to hear some impressions on how it rode at the 160 range. Well I guess I'll just have to post my own impressions!
    Understood. A bunch of people put up their impressions in that thread. Like I said its in this forum

mtbr member
    I have an X-Fusion Vengeance 160mm on the front on my Bandit. No prob. I like the feel. And the fork is also the original version with the higher A to C height (but running a flush bottom HS cup). Can't remember the HT angle, but I can check again if needed for you.

mtbr member
    I'll post up soon as well. I've got a bandit frame and works components -1 degree headset on the way. They'll be matched with a fox 36. Can't wait!

mtbr member

New Bandit Build!

Excited about the new build that is taking place. Pics will be up tomorrow but here is the bits!

Large Bandit 26"
    Magura Wotan
    Full XT Drivetrain
    Crossmax Crossline Wheels (got a sick deal on these may or may not keep them)
    XT Brakes
    Will have a Remote Seatpost of some sort
    Cane Creek Angleset

Should be a pretty fun build, super excited

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by matmattmatthew View Post
    Forgive me if it was already covered, Can the 2011 frame be retrofitted to run 142mm?
    no...I don't think anything changed other than the chainstay portion but they won't sell individual pieces.

aaarrrggghh!

My Bandit

I just built one up last week and have put about 65 miles on it so far. I built it up with a mix of x-9 and xt components. I have a Revelation, Reverb, and mixed wheel set (240/Flow on rear, Specialized/5.1 front). I have a Sunline V1 stem with some Havoc bars attached to it. The bike with pedals weighs in at 29lbs. Not too bad but I'm sure with some extra dough it could be made lighter.

I was riding a 2006 Specialized Enduro Pro with a bunch of newer parts on it and a Fox 36 Talas. That bike weighed in at about 32lbs.

So far I am really impressed with how the bike rides. It climbs like a goat and I don't think I really gave up much on the downhill. The bike is easily as laterally stiff as the Enduro was which is a nice surprise. The geometry is spot on with the Revelation 150 on it. Hopefully the long term durability is as good as that old Specialized was but so far this is the best Transition I have owned to date and I have had my fair share (Preston, Dirtbag, Bottle Rocket, Blindside.)

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Too big Bandit : (

Just built this small Bandit 26 for a friend who is 5'2.

And standover is not there. Need to find something a bit smaller.

Anyone 5'3"-5'6" need a brand new 2012 frame, frame and wheels, or complete bike? New warranty.

Email bob@bikerbob.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Bandit-2012-05-16-22.47.54.jpg  

Introducing the Bandit-2012-05-16-22.48.23.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com View Post
    Just built this small Bandit 26 for a friend who is 5'2.

And standover is not there. Need to find something a bit smaller.

Anyone 5'3"-5'6" need a brand new 2012 frame, frame and wheels, or complete bike? New warranty.
    It looks like loads of standover to me !!???!!

where are you measuring it from, - longer travel bikes will always be higher towards the front.

In my experience some people tend to go overboard with standover, - you're usually up on the bike, and if you need to get off in a hurry the bike is never really fully upright.

Reach is far more important IMO

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    That's what I thought, too, but women may have a different viewpoint (I've heard).
    I always get off to the side, but maybe in a crash situation......

Option two is XS Yeti 575

mtbr member
    Ridiculous question for Bikerbob.com, but those HS spacers look like a pretty decent match with the Kashima. What brand are they?

mtbr member
    Should the front brake line be routed in-between the fork and wheel?

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

brake line

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRing View Post
    Should the front brake line be routed in-between the fork and wheel?
    That would be my choice. Customer likes it on the outside.

Spacers are Hope
    Fork is new 2013 FOX CTD

Gold chain bling works on this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Bandit-2012-05-17-18.09.09-small-.jpg  

Introducing the Bandit-2012-05-18-17.07.53-%5B1024x768%5D.jpg  

Last edited by Bikerbob.com; 05-18-2012 at 05:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Bikerbob- Is that a Float or Talas fork?

Looks to be a Float. Just trying to debunk someone saying Fox isn't offering black forks anymore for 2013.
    konahonzo

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Better look

Debunked.
    2013 Float 140 CTD. Black is still an OEM color (for Transition at least). I'd love to keep it.
    Here's a better shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Bandit-2012-05-20-11.27.01-%5B1024x768%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My new Bandit. I love it (waiting for a Straitline Silent guide).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Bandit-img_1361copy1.jpg  

Cannonball!
    Debunked.
    2013 Float 140 CTD. Black is still an OEM color (for Transition at least). I'd love to keep it.
    Here's a better shot.
    Seems fine to me?

mtbr member
    Just got this built up. Large frame I picked up on that Cambria closeout. Fox 36rc2 up front and 1 offset bushing to slacken and lower things a bit. HA is about 66.5 and BB is 13.3. Feels great cruising around, first real ride tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Pretty good first ride. Coming off the spitfire, this was way quicker and more lively. It's way more nimble in tight spaces and easier to pop off of little obstacles in the trail. It does give up something to the spitfire in handling all out speed in the rough. It's actually pretty ideal for the mixed bag of trails I usually ride. I'm liking it a bunch.

Still need to do some suspension tuning since the rear end feels a little wallowy with the current set up. I weigh 190, ride pretty hard. Shock came with the L velocity tune, F rebound tune and Boost Valve at 200. Felt too soft at 180 lbs of air pressure, now running about 190-195 lbs or pressure with propedal on 2.

Can anyone post up their settings?

Also, what tune came on your RP23s?
    Last edited by NCBigHit; 05-28-2012 at 08:53 AM.

eci
    Rode the F out of my bandit in moab, fruita and grand junction this weekend. This bike handles amazingly. I would say this is a mini dh sled that can climb like a champ!!!

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Green, pewter or black. That is the question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
    Green, pewter or black. That is the question.
    and the answer is yes.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBigHit View Post
    Pretty good first ride. Coming off the spitfire, this was way quicker and more lively. It's way more nimble in tight spaces and easier to pop off of little obstacles in the trail. It does give up something to the spitfire in handling all out speed in the rough. It's actually pretty ideal for the mixed bag of trails I usually ride. I'm liking it a bunch.

Still need to do some suspension tuning since the rear end feels a little wallowy with the current set up. I weigh 190, ride pretty hard. Shock came with the L velocity tune, F rebound tune and Boost Valve at 200. Felt too soft at 180 lbs of air pressure, now running about 190-195 lbs or pressure with propedal on 2.

Look at old posts. Lots of people put up their settings.

Compression L. Rebound F.

mtbr member
    I have read the entire thread but noticed my set up was pretty different from those posted by others. I was just curious if other folks had other settings they liked.

Rode today again and it was a night and day difference with that extra air pressure in the rear shock. Stayed up in the travel much better, but still got full travel when I needed it. Seems like I'm running more pressure than most other folks (who seem to be running fewer psi than their body weight), but it's working great for me.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Yup - you're running way more pressure than most people. If you're coming in at 30% sag or so then obviously that's working though. If the shock locks out on bigger hits then you might have to rethink the pressure though ;>

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Weigh about 240. Ran it at 240 psi but went through full travel on non technical single track. Now have it at 260 PSI, uses about 75% travel (firm setting / locked).
    Ride it with a fox float 140mm and 650b front.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

backwards

Quote Originally Posted by NCBigHit View Post

Having the RP23 on backwards make any difference?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz View Post
    Rode the F out of my bandit in moab, fruita and grand junction this weekend. This bike handles amazingly. I would say this is a mini dh sled that can climb like a champ!!!
    Im buying one for a bike trip in August which will include basically the exact same places you rode at! Will post reports!

Good to know!

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    More pix dammit!

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto View Post
    Im buying one for a bike trip in August which will include basically the exact same places you rode at! Will post reports!

Good to know!
    you will be very excited once you get on the bandit. When are you heading to western co/moab? i would suggest late august bc early mid is going to be HOT!!!

Make sure to ride the bike a few times go get comfy. it took me 3 days to get comfortable on the bike but once you know how it handles you'll be in love.

Calm like a Bomb
    Anyone run fox 36s on bandits or is it too big of a fork?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stunzeed View Post

It has been discussed in an other thread. Some are runnning 160mm up front and it seems to work. I'm running Sektor Coil 150mm with external bottom. I guess that would be about the same head angle as a 36 with internal bottom cup. Works great for me.

Talk to me about the BANDIT.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stunzeed View Post

I've been running my trusty 36 on my bandit for a month or so now and love it. I did get a shock offset bushing to compensate for the increased BB height that results from running a longer fork. For me, no 32mm stanction fork has ever felt adequately stiff and I already had the 36 from a previous build.

The benefits from my perspective are that I get to run a fork that is stiff and up to the task of any trails, jumps or drops I care to try. The bandit is such a playful bike that it just begs you to slam it into corners, ride fast in the rough and jump everything you come across. I am a big fan of slack and low trail bikes and this setup suits me in that regard.

I will say that my setup is pretty damned low--I think it's lower than my initial measurement of 13.3 but have not rechecked things yet. I'm running 175 cranks with occassional pedal strikes and may pick up some 170's at some point. Most pedal strikes came when I tried to throw a pedal stroke in when exiting a turn--LeeLau noted that the bike responds really well to this and I agree--you just have to be aware of what is on the inside of the turn and think a little about your timing. Not a big deal for me as I'm very used to running low BB since my previous bikes have been a blur 4x (12.6), and banshee spitfire (13.25). I get slightly more pedal strikes on this bike which suggests to me that at least the weighted ride height may be slightly lower than the banshee at least. No big deal and well worth it given how well this think corners and drifts.

You can see my post at the top of this page for a picture and approximate geometry. I saw you posted about anyone wishing they had a covert rather than a bandit. I would love to have both but to me the deal breaker with the covert was the nearly 14 inche BB and the fact that it is more travel than I really wanted--that said had the geo been more dialed, I might have gone that route. Hope this was helpful.

mtbr member
    Snowskillz: Ill be in the states from the August 10th to the 28th. The actual Moab trip should be the second week im there... Say from the 15th to the 25th? We will stop at the Grand junction and Fruita and such placeson the way to Moab so it might take a little longer. Were leaving from Boudler.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm looking for a large Bandit frame.
    Anyone...Anyone?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    Anyone...Anyone?
    - Drop n' Zone Mountian Bike Gear

probably won't find a used one yet...everyone's still too stoked on them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Having the RP23 on backwards make any difference?
    I've run it both ways...no difference in feel to me. Backwards gives me more space to pull a bottle from a cage though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    Anyone...Anyone?
    V1, Pewter, Large on TR's web store.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sorry guy's. I guess I failed to mention "used" large Bandit frame.My apologies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have never seen a used Bandit for sale. What does one go for? They just came out this year...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry Potter View Post
    I have never seen a used Bandit for sale. What does one go for? They just came out this year...
    I have seen them from $800 to $900.

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    More pics dammit.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4