mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Imaginary 650B Transition Models

Now that we're starting to get worthwhile forks, tires, and rims for 650B I'm very intrigued by the standard. As much as adding additional wheel sizes might be a pain in the butt in some ways, I think it's a great happy medium for a lot of situations.

The TR275: Travel adjust between 150 and 170mm, 65.0 to 66.5 adj. HTA, 17.1 to 17.8 adj. stays

The Bandit 27.5: 140mm travel, 68 HTA, 17.3" stays

I hope that maybe these become a reality over the next year or two.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Carbon Covert with replaceable aluminium dropouts that will allow 26 or 650b.

Carbon Bandit with the same dropout system.

Same system could be used on the Trans-Am.

One set of molds could be shared for both the Bandit and Covert seatstays and chainstays to keep the cost down. Lay up more carbon in the Covert for strength and less carbon in the Bandit to keep it lighter.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    Now that we're starting to get worthwhile forks, tires, and rims for 650B I'm very intrigued by the standard. As much as adding additional wheel sizes might be a pain in the butt in some ways, I think it's a great happy medium for a lot of situations.

The TR275: Travel adjust between 150 and 170mm, 65.0 to 66.5 adj. HTA, 17.1 to 17.8 adj. stays

The Bandit 27.5: 140mm travel, 68 HTA, 17.3" stays

I hope that maybe these become a reality over the next year or two.
    You and me both homie!

mtbr member
    Funny, I was thinking of starting a post about a 650b Covert possibility.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    shirk, that does sound like a pretty great idea - I think the trick would be that in order to get the BB height right on the 650B you'd have to short shock it, which would further reduce seat tube clearance - but I'm betting it's doable.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    shirk, that does sound like a pretty great idea - I think the trick would be that in order to get the BB height right on the 650B you'd have to short shock it, which would further reduce seat tube clearance - but I'm betting it's doable.
    You would need to draw is all out but you can get some bb drop out of changing the dropout geo.

I didn't look too close at the Intense numbers for their revised 650b dropouts. How much did the bb number change?

I know North Shore Billet has made some custom dropouts to alter the geo of the Cove bikes.

Rather than short shocking you might be able to incorporate a shock shuttle into the design like Scott uses on the Voltage FR.

It's all just ideas. Someone would need to sit down and draw it all out on paper/cad.

Finding a way to use the same front triangle for the two versions would be a cost saver.