Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

I Demo'd a Carbon Transition PATROL in Tahoe!

Attachment 1103963Wrench Science, in Berkeley, set me up with a really nice bike for Tahoe last week. My usual ride is 5-Spot/160 PIKE/Chris King wheels/XT Build 2 x 10. Henry, at Wrench Science let me try some modern features on a Patrol. SRAM 1 x 11, Lyrik 160, New RaceFace dropper post, Magura 4 piston DH brakes, DHF 2.5 Wide Tire front/DHR 3C rear. sub 30 pound build. Trail was Spooner Lake climb to bench, Downhill to Kingsbury, crushing climb to Van Sickle and down, 26 miles / 3600 ft climbing at 7000 ft elev . Transition Patrol is a monster truck decsender, review over. Just kidding, but that sentence sums up a lot of my experience. Pointed down hill, the Patrol was as nimble as my 5-Spot, but more forgiving and more comfortable travel. Going Mach speed through granite chunk, If you missed a line by a 1/2 inch and sideswiped a small rock, Patrol/DHF had you covered with massive traction and a stable steering recovery. What is a thrill ride on my 5-Spot, became less of a chore, and you just motor on, on a bigger bike. I thought the Lyrik 160 paired perfectly with the Patrol. My friend has a 150 PIKE, to save weight and that makes sense too. Anyhow, the steering throught switchbacks, chunder, and high speed Boulder dodging was perfect (2-3 foot tall boulders on side of trails always grabbing at your bike, you use body English to maneuver bike around them when you are going faster than you should be going). I got the bike 2.5-3ft off the ground a few times, stable in flight, all good for landing. This bike slays the downs, and its as fast as you want to be on pedally downward sections. Comparing to the Pivot Firebird I Test rode, this bike is very similiar the steeper/faster it gets (same tires on both bikes, these 3C wide front DHF tires are superior). On the uphill sections, this is not the fastest climbing suspension setup. I would need to run more pressure than the 35% SAG calls for, if I did another ride where you climb for an hour to start, then reduce pressure at top. It was my first ride on a Rockshock Monarch plus, it's a great rear shock. Maybe a custom lockout tune on the climb lever? But I like to climb more than most people, so pay no heed to that if you are more about the downhills. I like the XT 8000 brakes on my own bike better than the 4 piston Maguras, but they are very adjustable levers, great lever feel, and a little more powerful, which helped my hands over a 5 hour riding session. Lyrik Awesome. SRAM shifter is a precise, but this bike was all about the Transition Carbon frame. One of the most comfortable 5 hours I have had on singletrack. Great bike! Thanks Wrench Science!

mtbr member
    Sounds awesome. Interesting - you are the second review this week that has compared the Patrol to the Firebird as stated that they are similar. Do you mind explaining more of your thoughts on this comparison?

Sounds like a great weekend and ride - happy to hear!

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    I don't think the two bikes are on the same level at all, it's just a similiar big tire big bike feeling of confidence on the downhills that they share. Especially for me, as a 40 year experienced rider that has never owned a real DH bike. I like the Firebird way better for climbing, the DW Link is very efficient. Right now, PIVOT is getting pretty hosed by FOX, so that's too bad. Also, as a DW Link Turner owner, I see why Turner ditched the Horst Link. The Patrol is as good pointed downward, and Transition has an advantage by selling aluminum bikes for less money if you want to save. How can you beat the Rockshock products that come on Patrol? It's just 2 different types of riders with different needs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Have you tried the RFX? If not you should.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Yeah, RFX demo sounds good in theory, its one of 2 Turners i thought i would buy. But the reality is, im not driving from SF to LA to try one. Too bad for Turner, and me, that I cannot demo one at a local store. Additionally, MSRP pricing is not very enticing for me. Maybe I will still be looking in the spring, catch demo day. My 5-Spot is awesome, but Im ready for a modern bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Get in touch with Jeff at www.dirtmerchantbikes.com he is local to Issaquah, Wa. but his parents are SanFran and he may have some demo's there. He did say he was looking into doing that. What size would you need. I may be heading back down to Palm Desert from Washington for Thanksgiving (parents are there) I would be driving down I-5 most likley.

mtbr member

I demo'd a carbon Patrol in Victoria, BC last weekend. I didn't want to start a fresh thread to post something so I hope it's okay to jump in on this thread.

https://vikapprovedblog.wordpress.co...l-carbon-demo/

I posted my full ramblings at the link above. The TLDR version is:

- bike rode as advertized
    - pedals well enough on the rolling stuff
    - slays the descents
    - high quality
    - nice looking rig
    - the Transition folks put on an excellent demo
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com