mtbr member
    Nov 2004

How to remove main pivot bearings on a TR450?

Anyone have any tips on how to remove the large frame bearings on a 450? I didn't get the special tool from Transition, as best as I could tell they didn't have one currently listed or in stock on there site for the 450. Does that bearing tool even work on the main frame bearings, I'm not sure how that would work.

So, any tips or tricks to getting these large bearings out of the rear end?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I was able to get them out using a hammer and screw driver. The bearings in the frame definitely took a little more lovin' from the hammer than the linkage bearings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I was able to get them out using a hammer and screw driver. The bearings in the frame definitely took a little more lovin' from the hammer than the linkage bearings.
    There is no tool and you did it the way we intended... all the bearings in the TR450 install like a front hub bearing (from the outside inward, against a center sleeve). We put a slot in the center sleeve to make it even easier to contact the bearing race with a punch/screwdriver. From there you just hit it with a hammer to remove them.

You can press them back in with an arbor press, or careful use of a rubber mallet. In either case, a thin film (seriously, just a film) of grease on the outer race will help the bearing come in and out more easily.

Just roll it......
    Good timing! I just did this yesterday and opted to replace all of my bearings since I was pulling my bike apart anyway. In reality only a couple of the other bearings needed it though.

The biggest issue I had was my main pivot axle was seized to the bearings, so I grabbed another bolt that fit into the non-drive side and threaded that in, so I could beat the axle out without destroying the one for the bike.

For getting the bearings out, my advice is to put the rear triangle on a work bench with towels or something soft under it. I bought a round punch that is about 10" long and that easily fits into the hole. I punched each of the bearings from the inside out using the slot that they mention above.

I used an arbor press to get the bearings back in - using lots of grease. The arbor press was even easier than using a standard vice. Before pressing those in, I also took the seals off of the new bearings and added grease to them all before installing them. Most were good, but a couple really needed extra grease in them.

FYI, if you have a good torque wrench, the settings for all of the pivots are 200 in/lbs.

EB