mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Homemade 29er Patrol or Long travel Smuggler...

As far as i can tell, based on the following;

Smuggler / scout/ patrol all use the same pivot bolts/nuts based on only part part number for all frames.

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Store_Detail.cfm?Token={ts_2016-08-22_12:39:09}-3d261f412aa89a65-5EC24A82-9188-EEA6-E59FE23F9E8B2146&C=3926&o=3899&P=6447

Diameters/ lengths are interchangable among the newest models.
    There for the rear triangles would be able to be swapped from one bike to another

I have played with overlaying pictures, bringing calipers to my local bike shop (until they got annoyed with me) and roughly playing with the geometry published on their website, I am 93% sure, I could take the rear triangle off the 29er smuggler, and bolt it directly to a Patrol front triangle and rocker arm and get a long travel 29er transition bike with geometry pretty close to the stock Patrol numbers...

I am trying to convince some friends to lend me his patrol and a smuggler for a weekend to actually bolt up this combo and take it for a ride....

Has anyone tried this already?

TRANSITION! Please make a long travel 29er so I don't have to do this myself!

Cactus Cuddler
    I'm more so curious if Transition has a test mule in this configuration floating around.
    I still have a feeling that the rocker would would need to be slightly different, but in the grand scheme of things that's a part which could be made fairly quickly in SolidWorks, and CNC machined in a hurry to test out. This would come with the side benefit of being a forward-looking Metric shock sized unit out of the box (and would include the ability to run a Trunnion SuperDeluxe paired with a Pike).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I hope to goodness, the are already on this.... I hope they don't take forever to release it...

It seems like an obvious easy market segment to capitalize on... use a patrol front, smuggler rear... maybe a new rocker... done...

Is there a transition rep on mtbr?

20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012
    Fwiw...I visited Bellingham 2 summers ago and met a local in the parking lot. He was a taller fella and was on an XL Suppressor with 27.5 wheels
    He said that the Transition guys sold him the bike because they didn't have the Patrol in stock. He said that the used the same frame and they were just different colors.

Now bear in mind I got this from a guy in a parking lot, but he definitely had 27.5 wheels on the Suppressor. So perhaps the same is true moving up in wheel size too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesPM View Post
    As far as i can tell, based on the following;

Smuggler / scout/ patrol all use the same pivot bolts/nuts based on only part part number for all frames.

Diameters/ lengths are interchangable among the newest models.
    There for the rear triangles would be able to be swapped from one bike to another

I have played with overlaying pictures, bringing calipers to my local bike shop (until they got annoyed with me) and roughly playing with the geometry published on their website, I am 93% sure, I could take the rear triangle off the 29er smuggler, and bolt it directly to a Patrol front triangle and rocker arm and get a long travel 29er transition bike with geometry pretty close to the stock Patrol numbers...

I am trying to convince some friends to lend me his patrol and a smuggler for a weekend to actually bolt up this combo and take it for a ride....

Has anyone tried this already?

TRANSITION! Please make a long travel 29er so I don't have to do this myself!

I had this idea but it was for long stroking a Scout. I was going in a different direction than you, but it may work.

I think the hang up is the rocker?

The 2016 Scoupatrol!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DudeDowne View Post
    Fwiw...I visited Bellingham 2 summers ago and met a local in the parking lot. He was a taller fella and was on an XL Suppressor with 27.5 wheels
    He said that the Transition guys sold him the bike because they didn't have the Patrol in stock. He said that the used the same frame and they were just different colors.

Now bear in mind I got this from a guy in a parking lot, but he definitely had 27.5 wheels on the Suppressor. So perhaps the same is true moving up in wheel size too.

I don't believe this can be true with their most recent frames on the website. Each one, patrol, scout, smuggler have different frames as quickly checked by comparing the delta between head tube angle and seat tube angle...

20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesPM View Post
    I don't believe this can be true with their most recent frames on the website. Each one, patrol, scout, smuggler have different frames as quickly checked by comparing the delta between head tube angle and seat tube angle...
    Well...it is a second hand story told on an Interweb forum full of hate mongering trolls. Also, one or both of the parties involved in this tale were stoned. If I recall correctly there were a couple of dispensaries down the road.

Also...the tall fella was probably just messing with tourists who jam up their trails.

But....let us know how your Frankenbike works out. It would be cool to get a ride review.

cnut
    Quote Originally Posted by DudeDowne View Post
    Not quite. The difference between the two bikes is the front triangle - the major thing being the head tube, which is 15mm longer on the Suppressor. It means the BB height on a 26" Suppressor is the same height as on a 27.5" Patrol. I believe the rear triangle is the same as the Patrol though.

FWIW, a couple of weeks ago Transition had a lovely stealth black Suppressor in their showroom - with 27.5 wheels.

mtbr member
    edit, nevermind, beaten to it.