Thread: Hey B29 Owners

eci

Hey B29 Owners

If one of you has a medium can you measure the horizontal top tube?

There are a few sites selling them pretty cheap and it may be time to pull the trigger.

Thanks!

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz View Post
    If one of you has a medium can you measure the horizontal top tube?

There are a few sites selling them pretty cheap and it may be time to pull the trigger.

Thanks!
    How cheap?

rider
    Jan 2005
    Since the seat tube is bent on the B29 the ETT measurement is of much less practical value than on a bike with a straight seat tube.

Much more relevant to a frame with a bent seat tube is the reach and stack system to determine bike fit. I was resistant to the R&S system at first then dove in and learned about it. Then I measured my old bike for it's R&S and compared it to the 2012 XL B29. I'm very glad that I took the effort as I was thinking that the B29 would be way too short in the TT based on the ETT. The R&S system was much more useful as it suggested that it would be a good fit. The R&S system turned out right, as my B29 is the best fitting and riding bike that I have ever ridden.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    Since the seat tube is bent on the B29 the ETT measurement is of much less practical value than on a bike with a straight seat tube.

Much more relevant to a frame with a bent seat tube is the reach and stack system to determine bike fit. I was resistant to the R&S system at first then dove in and learned about it. Then I measured my old bike for it's R&S and compared it to the 2012 XL B29. I'm very glad that I took the effort as I was thinking that the B29 would be way too short in the TT based on the ETT. The R&S system was much more useful as it suggested that it would be a good fit. The R&S system turned out right, as my B29 is the best fitting and riding bike that I have ever ridden.
    I really prefer the top of the head tube horizontal top tube measurement. It gives you a good base to start at and then you can adapt seat post stem and hear from there

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Doesn't the website say that it's got a 22.5 (22.6 for the new model) horizontal top tube? Am I missing something?

And it's nice that you prefer ETT (same thing as horizontal top tube) but as stated it doesn't really mean anything if the bike doesn't have a straight seat tube.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    Doesn't the website say that it's got a 22.5 (22.6 for the new model) horizontal top tube? Am I missing something?

And it's nice that you prefer ETT (same thing as horizontal top tube) but as stated it doesn't really mean anything if the bike doesn't have a straight seat tube.
    My 2012 trans am was supposed to have an ETT of 23.0 its actually 22.5. My guess is they measured the ETT at a point above the HT. If someone was nice to measure up the actual ETT at the top of the headtube it would be fabulous

rr
    I don't do PC
    I can't give you the measurement your looking for, but here's the way they measured the ETT on the 2012 B29's(from my understanding after emailing them)

Center of headtube at top tube junction(standard way in my experience) to the "effective" seattube(imaginary line due to bent seattube), horizontally. 2013's are measured differently now, same starting point to the actual center of the seatpost horizontally, no more eff seattube which is more standard I guess.