mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Help: TR250 ride characteristics

For those in the know, I would like to hear some feedback on the differences between a full DH bike and the TR250. I had a TR450 for a couple of seasons and am now on a Turner DHR. My circumstances have changed and I need to sell my DHR and put that money elsewhere. I'm hoping to be able to get into a used and inexpensive TR250 before the season really starts and then spend a week in Whistler later in the summer. I've ridden a Yeti ASX, BottleRocket, Canfield CanDiggle, Intense Slopestyle, Intense Uzzi, Intense Slopestyle and the TR450 in Whistler and had a blast on all the trails. I'm a halfway competent rider but can still choose the worst possible line at times.
    I don't have to be the fastest down the hill but don't want to be lagging behind all the time because my bike. I do race the Utah downhill series (old man category) but it's not a big focus for me. I like the atmosphere and to represent my local shop.
    So, will I notice a big difference going from a Turner DHR with a Fox 40 to a TR250 with a Marzocchi 66 or a Fox 36 180?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I do not have one or even ridden one but have watched the prices of them. Unless your DHR is decked out and you find a lower end build TR 250 I think you will find that the TR250 might just cost you more than what you would get for the DHR. Doesn't make sense but do your own comparison.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm starting to see that the prices for TR250's are a little on the high end. I understand people want the most from their bikes but.... damn. The DHR is a 2012 with a 2013 Fox 40 and 2013 XO 10 speed parts, E13 cranks Renthal parts and Easton Havoc wheels. Kinda decked out. I'm doing what I can to keep the DHR but also exploring my options.

mtbr member
    The TR250 will be a little lighter, a little snappier, a little more nimble. I've ridden one since they came out, and although I don't have time on a bunch of other DH bikes, I've never felt "under-gunned." On super chunky DH trails I've wondered what it would be like to have another inch of travel and a double crown fork. If you're riding the jump trails at Whistler at all, I'd take the 250 all day. It's way more plush than the bottlerocket, but it's not going to be quite as keen to just plow through chunder like the 450. In any case, I love the bike. But like the other guys were saying, may not be any cheaper than buying some other DH bike if you're worried about no having enough travel or stiffness.
    Binary Transition Bikes Demon Dirt

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ruppguts View Post
    The TR250 will be a little lighter, a little snappier, a little more nimble. I've ridden one since they came out, and although I don't have time on a bunch of other DH bikes, I've never felt "under-gunned." On super chunky DH trails I've wondered what it would be like to have another inch of travel and a double crown fork. If you're riding the jump trails at Whistler at all, I'd take the 250 all day.
    This is what draws me to the 250. The versatility, pop and nimbleness. When I first got the TR450 I really wanted the TR250 but was going to race DH and decided and a more dedicated DH bike would be the ticket. When I ride it has always been about fun but even more so now. Riding is more important than racing to me.
    I'll be looking for a frame and fork only unless I come across a complete that "tickles my fancy"
    Now that I think about it my question is really about the single crown fork. Obviously going from a double crown to a single crown will be a difference but will it really be that big of a deal? Would it be like going from the 40 to a Dorado? I could feel a noticeable difference between those two and I liked the Dorado more because of the "give" The frame stiffness and travel aren't a concern. I didn't feel any flex in the 450 and would imagine the 250 is the same.
    Thanks for the input

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    ruppguts summed it up perfectly. If you have ridden a TR450, you already have a pretty good idea of how it will ride. It will jump better and me more playful but will suffer a little in the tech.

Honestly I doubt your speed will suffer much at all. You may be quicker in some sections than you were on a 450, and slower in other sections but all in all I'd say you'd be travelling around the same speeds.

Look at it as an opportunity to challenge your riding style.

I used to ride my wife's 250 on "test laps" - it was a small and was slightly undersprung for me - still LOADS of fun. 450's are very playful bikes for what they are IMO, but 250's put them to shame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Right on! Thanks guys for the input. Looks like I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 250 in the near future. Time to get that DHR up for sale

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    what size frame are you looking for savageone?
    PM me for a good time

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Medium