mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Help with 2012 blindside build - R2c2 and FSA heasdset

Hello there!

I just got my 2012 Blindside along with a Boxxer R2C2 and an FSA headset to come along. Been setting it up but this being my first build of the sort, so im not sure about a few things:

- when inserting the crown race, it sits flush against the lower crown, but there is a small gap of about 1mm between the race and the lower bearing... im guessing i dont want this gap or is it OK?

- once the headset is in place and the top crown on, the distance between the top of the "upper tube" and the top of the "upper crown" is about 15mm, (the distance between the top of the "upper tube" and the top of the "lower crown" is 157mm) it seems like theres quite a bit of top tube sticking out... is that OK? or should i slide the bottom crown and upper crown up to reduce the top tube sticking out to the minimum 2mm?

Thanks for any help!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    looks good man! I will say that looks about perfect, cut that steer tube and go ride.
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thx Chad! I'll be getting on it after work and move on to the next steps!!!

Transition Blindside v5
    Dunno about your particular parts/setup, but just a guess/thought here... My zero-stack FSA headset on my BR (v.1) has similar 1mm gap like that (one on top + one on bottom), and that's where the rubber o-ring (included) goes over/cover the gap (keeping dust out). Did your package come with such o-ring(s)?

Those rubber o-rings are very weak. The original ones (very thin) didn't last long, and I've been buying much-thicker rubber o-rings from local hardware store (cheap & last longer). Still kinda pain to occasionally (though not often) have to pull out the fork just to replace those o-rings when dried/cracked. (FYI, make sure you slip off the o-rings when re-installing/re-adjusting the fork/stem, or it'll feel unnecessarily heavy-steering. Adjust it the normal way without, then slip it back on over the gap.) Next time I think I'll go with a Canecreek headset (without those annoying o-rings).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    its a sealed bearing, the o-rings are more hassle than they are worth. We do install them on bikes when we use that headset, but once the o-rings take a dump we dont worry about them much. And its not much wetter anywhere more than the Northwest and there are never any issues. Good luck! Have fun!
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    slide the stanchions down if you want a slacker head angle/higher BB, otherwise leave it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The headset is the FSA Orbit Z 1.5R, only one o-ring and a rubber seal.

Im now wondering, any recommendations for the spacer? According to the boxxer guide i should leave 5mm of steerer tube above the upper crown (im guessing that means running a spacer atop the upper crown), but was under the impression some people are running these without any spacers...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    slam the crown, no spacers under the top crown n top of the headset. use 2 on top below the top cap. Thats how we do all of our setups, more surface area under the top crown on top of the headset gives a better feel IMO.
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thx again Chad, been a little slow getting her built since its been a busy weekend but shes 90% finished now

A picture of her almost ready to ride. Still waiting on the bashguard and Pimp pedals...

Thx for the help!