Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dhshuttlemonkey View Post
    Sold my TA last month and replaced it with a Bandit. Fun bike, but my back doesn't miss it.
    Yeah I tried 2 transam's and had back pain. I now have a 456 hoping maybe the slightly different geometry would help my back. Sadly it didn't. I prefer the hardtail but my back hurts too much riding it. bummer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shift96 View Post
    Yeah I tried 2 transam's and had back pain. I now have a 456 hoping maybe the slightly different geometry would help my back. Sadly it didn't. I prefer the hardtail but my back hurts too much riding it. bummer
    How different was the geometry between the two? While my TransAM was a fun All-Mountain bike, it sure was cramped for me, anything longer than an hour on it wasn't fun. Now I'm on a bike with a 26" ETT (50mm stem) and couldn't be happier with the longer ETT. In comparison the TA was 24.2" with a 70mm stem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    How different was the geometry between the two? While my TransAM was a fun All-Mountain bike, it sure was cramped for me, anything longer than an hour on it wasn't fun. Now I'm on a bike with a 26" ETT (50mm stem) and couldn't be happier with the longer ETT. In comparison the TA was 24.2" with a 70mm stem.
    Actually I think the ETT of the 18" 456 is shorter than the TA. About 24" ETT I believe. For some reason I thought it was longer. Are those numbers on the bike you have now a hardtail?

mtbr member

Ta ss

a week ago was 32-18....last sunday 36-18, its harder on long steep uphill but faster......love this bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-img_1064%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Op's frame looked bahller

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kbreen30 View Post
    About 90% complete, Nothing too fancy, just a bomb proof bike

is that fork a vengeance? if so how do you like it? what travel is it set at?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    TransAM 2012 blue
    Fox Float RLC 2011 140mm
    Hope Pro 2 / Mavic 819
    Shimano XTR 970 Cranks
    Thomson seatpost/stem
    Funn DH Bars [760mm]
    Shimano SLX BR-M666 brakes
    Maxxis Ardent

Last edited by mseest; 06-27-2012 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mseest View Post
    TransAM 2012 blue
    Fox Float RLC 2011 140mm
    Hope Pro 2 / Mavic 819
    Shimano XTR 970 Cranks
    Thomson seatpost/stem
    Funn DH Bars [76mm]
    Shimano SLX BR-M666 brakes
    Maxxis Ardent

Shortest bars ever.

Looks good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Shortest bars ever.

Looks good.
    - I have now corrected the width of the bars thanks

mtbr member
    Lovely trans am ss
    Pivot mach 6!

@ Mos Eisley Cantina
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I have a setup just like that, with Sektor RL U-turn, and planning on selling it (need to reduce down from eight bikes in my garage). It is as new, except for a few small scratches on right seatstay - from pinned pedals dragged against it during transport, should be easy to touch up. Orange medium. PM me if interested.
    Still available? I'd PM, but i'm not allowed due to low post count...PM me, i guess?

eci

The Start of the build

Just got my trans am 29 last night. Waiting on a bunch of parts to show up in the mail but heres the build

Frame Transition Trans AM 29 size medium Blue Frame weight 6.3lbs
    Fox 32 120 Fork weight uncut steerer 4.05 lbs
    Cane Creek 40
    Hope Pro 2's laced to Stans Flow (setup tubeless)
    Avid Elixir 7 brakes
    x.9 Cranks, Der's
    x.7 shifter
    Sunline flat bar 780 width
    IRC mythos II rear and Nevegal front
    Hope 50mm stem
    Sdg Bel Aire saddle
    Race Face deus seat post
    ODI Cross trainer grips

Fingers crossed for sub 27 lb bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-transam29.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

TransAM 1x9

TransAM 2011 pewter, Small
    Fox 32 TALAS Fit RLC 150MM 15QR
    FSA Impact headset
    Shimano XT 788 wheelset
    Shimano XT 785 brakes
    Shimano XT 770 cranks and rear derailleur
    Shimano XT 785 pedals
    Deor Shifter(without the ugly display)
    E13 32t ring(red) and lightweight bashguard
    N-gear stop jump + DMR bottom chainguide
    Kore 60MM Stem
    Sixpack Menace 72mm bar
    Da bomb skull 2 saddle
    Maxxis advantage 2.1 lust rear, Maxxis high roller 2.35 lust front
    Pro PLT 27.2 Seatpost
    ODI rough grips

Sorry for the crappy pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-2012-07-18-14.12.26.jpg  

It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-2012-07-18-14.12.46.jpg  

It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-2012-07-18-14.13.03.jpg  

mtbr member
    So I was a lurker in this thread a few years ago when I was building up my TransAm and never got around to posting pics of it. I just finished cleaning and rebuilding it the other day after stealing a few parts a while ago to get my new bike ride able. So here it is

Frame: Med 2010
    Wheels: spank rims, halo supa drive/xt hubs
    Bars: Loaded amxc
    drive train: 1x9, stylo cranks, saint deraileur.
    Brakes: Hayes Ace
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-img_20120801_192847edit.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Noob's TransAm

Hey Guys, 1st post and new to MTBing. I just purchased my first MTB from CL:

2009 TransAm Large
    Fox Talas 32
    SRAM XO drive train (anodized orange)
    Avid Elixer Carbon Brakes w/Code 5 levers
    XTR Crank set
    MTX 33 Wheels on Revolution hubs
    Purgatory Tubeless tires

Bike looks brand new. I wasnt familiar with Transition till I found the ad and did a little research. How did I do?

Sorry, appearntly i am unable to post pics

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JibbaJam View Post
    Hey Guys, 1st post and new to MTBing. I just purchased my first MTB from CL:

2009 TransAm Large
    Fox Talas 32
    SRAM XO drive train (anodized orange)
    Avid Elixer Carbon Brakes w/Code 5 levers
    XTR Crank set
    MTX 33 Wheels on Revolution hubs
    Purgatory Tubeless tires

Bike looks brand new. I wasnt familiar with Transition till I found the ad and did a little research. How did I do?

Sorry, appearntly i am unable to post pics
    You did fine if it fits you (how tall are you). I do not like Elixirs, but many people use them just fine. Does it have a bash guard on that crank set? I would have replaced the big ring with some 32t Bbg bash. This bike wants it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks Axe.

Im 6'2" with 34" inseam. The bike has a very comfortable riding position compared to other bikes i have ridden. It doesnt have a bash graud, but ive though of having one installed since i never use the taller front gear.

Again, i am very new to MTBing. This is my first bike in over 20 years. I tried to find something that was Large and had good quality components.

I actually had a flat rear tire the first day I rode it. Air was leaking around one spoke nipple. I am supposed to pick it up from the shop today. Looking forward to an afternoon ride.

I mostly ride around the city, but wanna try some trail riding when time allows. I notice the bike is a bit on the heavy side. I think it will do me fine to learn on.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Thanks Axe.

Im 6'2" with 34" inseam. The bike has a very comfortable riding position compared to other bikes i have ridden. It doesnt have a bash graud, but ive though of having one installed since i never use the taller front gear.
    Perfect.

This thread has NSFW illustrations on why you want a bash guard:
    Calf meet chainring.

Cheap option is BBG, it fits on my 970 XTR cranks fine, I have no idea about 980 (or doubles)

I actually had a flat rear tire the first day I rode it. Air was leaking around one spoke nipple. I am supposed to pick it up from the shop today. Looking forward to an afternoon ride.
    If your shop is good, ask them to stick around and explain to you what they do when fixing that leak (bad tubeless tape?)

I mostly ride around the city, but wanna try some trail riding when time allows. I notice the bike is a bit on the heavy side. I think it will do me fine to learn on.
    It is not really on the heavy side with that kit. It will take a fair amount of beating.

Buy a toolkit, if you do not have it (like one of those Nashbar sells) and browse Park tools website for maintenance instructions. (Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks again for the advice. The shop had to re-tape the wheel and redo the tubeless setup. Good to go now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Couple Questions for the experts:

1) My bike has MTX33 wheels and Purgatory Tires. They are set up tubeless. The tires are huge and no doubt heavy. It also has the larger size (180?) rotors. My front wheel is a little "wobbley" when i spin it. I had the bike shop true the wheel, but the problem persist. The shop said its the tire and not the wheel that is out of true. The brake disc also scrub the pads at certain times. Is that possible, that the wheel is true but the tire and disc are the problem?

2) Also when i spin the front tire i can hear liquid sloshing about. I assume this it the tubless soulution, but it sounds like there is about 20oz in there sloshing. Is that normal?

3) My rear break "groans" a bit when i apply light preasure. Its kind of annoying. Any ideas what may be the culprit? Brake pads?

4) I think my bike weighs in around 29lbs (according to the guy i bought it from). It is definately heavier than the previous bike i was riding. What would be the easiest/cheapest way to save some weight? I was thinking smaller wheels/tires might help.

Sorry for all the questions, but i am very new to the MTB world. Any advice is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have posted a picture of the bike in my user gallery since i dont have the 10 required posts to place an image in the thread

Axe
    Custom User Title
    1) My bike has MTX33 wheels and Purgatory Tires. They are set up tubeless. The tires are huge and no doubt heavy. It also has the larger size (180?) rotors. My front wheel is a little "wobbley" when i spin it. I had the bike shop true the wheel, but the problem persist. The shop said its the tire and not the wheel that is out of true. The brake disc also scrub the pads at certain times. Is that possible, that the wheel is true but the tire and disc are the problem?
    Yes, tire can be out of true. Put your bike upside down, spin the wheel and hold your finger next to the rim (not the tire).

It is a decent tire and wheel combo for the intended use of this bike. If you want to also use it as an all around commuter/gravel path bike, it could be worth investing in a cheap wheelset with some large volume semislick tires. But then you can get a a single speed with cyclocross tires as a second bike for that sort of stuff. About as expensive as a decent wheelset.

2) Also when i spin the front tire i can hear liquid sloshing about. I assume this it the tubless soulution, but it sounds like there is about 20oz in there sloshing. Is that normal?
    It should be about 2 to 3 oz. And not much dried stuff. CaffeLatex sealant sloshes a bit less (it foams) lasts much longer (a year, vs a few months), but seals punctures not as reliably as Stan's. You could consider using it. Could be a good time to learn to change sealant and reset the tire.

3) My rear break "groans" a bit when i apply light preasure. Its kind of annoying. Any ideas what may be the culprit? Brake pads?
    I am of opinion that Avid brakes suck. (Maintenance and ergonomics. Except for BB7, which are the best mechanical one.). Search this site for endless thread about turkey gobble and groans. And DOT fluid change is not as convenient. On a couple bikes I have acquired with Avids (Ultimates had been the worst) I had to sell it off to an unsuspecting person on Ebay and buy Shimano.

Yes, pads may help. I had moderate success with SwissStop and G3 and Formula rotors.

4) I think my bike weighs in around 29lbs (according to the guy i bought it from). It is definately heavier than the previous bike i was riding. What would be the easiest/cheapest way to save some weight? I was thinking smaller wheels/tires might help.
    That is an good weight for a very capable machine. Purgatory is not a very heavy tire, and a lighter, better wheelset will set you back about as much as a second cheap commuter bike, if you ride pavement a lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    as always, thanks for the help/advice Axe!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Finally a Picture!!

finally got my required 10 post to insert a pic

I have the newer style frame wrap decal coming from transition. I think it will look good.

Ive been riding this bike for a week now. While I like it, I really think i want to try a single speed mtb. I think it will be better suited for my "commuting" type riding habbits. I really dont do this beast the justice it desrves putting around town. Im gonna give another week to grow on me and then it may go back on CL/eBay.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I just got my new transAM in today and the front derailleur isn't clearing the tire, anyone else had that problem?

Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast