Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 1021
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation: terrible1one3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    277
    I agree that the old ones looked WAY better than the new ones.

    That's not saying the new ones look bad but just not as good.

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucwil
    I got all my stuff through a local shop, they stock a few transition frames and goodies and I just happened to walk in the day they got that one in haha. I'm assuming you've checked dealer locator? A lot of shops don't stock transition stuff but will order it for you.
    Yeah, I used the dealer locator and found on about 2 hours away. I'm going to the shop in my town tomorrow so I'll see if they can order one for me. I hope so! All these pics are getting me excited haha beautiful bikes everyone and thanks for the help!

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1
    Introducing my new TransAM. Incredibly all-use bike, with a really similar geometry as my Covert...I love my TransAM!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    127
    just got my trans am frame the other day. For those of you saying your bummed that it doesn't have iscg mounts, pretty sure all the new frames will, because mine has the. Hammerschmidt in the near future perhaps. Have yet to ride, will try and post pics.

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    318
    yay for iscg!

  6. #106
    Build More = Ride More
    Reputation: YoPawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by spoker247
    just got my trans am frame the other day. For those of you saying your bummed that it doesn't have iscg mounts, pretty sure all the new frames will, because mine has the. Hammerschmidt in the near future perhaps. Have yet to ride, will try and post pics.
    Got mine too. Well, after getting one that was dented and having to send it back. What a kick in the nuts!

    Yuppers! It has a ISCG tabs on it.

    This frame looks great and rides amazingly well. Well enough, that I'm willing to let some annoyances slide.

    Couple of things that I'm not so stoked on:
    - Doesn't actually fit an 8 inch rotor if you are running the derailleur hanger on it for non-single speed. Mine cut into the chain stay just trying to put the wheel in. Not too big of an issue, since I should be running a 7 incher on there for this type of bike. Web site say up to 8 inches, so I was annoyed by cutting into my chain stay.
    - Paint doesn't seem to be much more durable than the stuff on my Preston.
    - Thru-axle can be a ***** to get through the TBC hub sometimes.
    - 32.8mm seat clamp size. Good luck finding something other than the one that came with the bike. Very strange.
    - Lots of paint spray overlap into the seat tube and BB threads. I've had to go through and take a bunch out so my stuff fits. I would expect it to be ready out of the box for $650.
    - My first frame came with no stickers on it and I was stoked to be able to put my own on it. Second frame comes with a sticker pack, but already has orange stickers on there? WTF? No I have to take a heat gun to the frame to get the old ones off. On top of that, why put orange ones on and them give me more orange ones in the package with the blue and silver? Again, WTF?

  7. #107
    Bricks Design rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    56

    Does anyone here can explain me how to replace the rear wheel WITHOUT replacing these 2 black parts?
    I've made a flat tire, and had to unscrew these ones to replace the wheel...strange, and boring.

    By the way, some of you have ISCCG tabs? It's not my case...
    And yes, the paint is quiet frail...
    But I love my TransAM!

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13
    got mine today, no iscg mounts and had a small dent in the headtube, but nothing major. I'm not going to send it back as I am not waiting another 4weeks for it to arrive. I'm sure it will be just fine. No stickers on mine either which is great, overall its looking like a great frame and looking forward to start building it up. Will post up some build pics as it goes.
    Also no issues with overspray etc its all looking good!

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    127
    mine came with stickers on it as well, and had chase the threads on the bb, non-drive side was fine but drive side was horrible. Is it just me or is it a giant pain in the ass to take the rear wheel out? I thought it was just going to be like taking a wheel off a bike with abp, just pull the skewer and done. I know you need to pull the rear wheel adapters off and hence the rear der. I also have to take my rear brake off because the rotor does not clear the caliper, i'm only running a 6" rotor. Anyone else have this problem? rode it for the first time yesterday and it was a blast.

  10. #110
    Build More = Ride More
    Reputation: YoPawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by wombo
    got mine today, no iscg mounts and had a small dent in the headtube, but nothing major. I'm not going to send it back as I am not waiting another 4weeks for it to arrive. I'm sure it will be just fine. No stickers on mine either which is great, overall its looking like a great frame and looking forward to start building it up. Will post up some build pics as it goes.
    Also no issues with overspray etc its all looking good!
    Oh crap. I think you might have got mine?

    Did it have a dent in the top flange of the head tube?

    Send it back dude. Don't screw around. I would be very sad if they reshipped the frame out to someone else. Or maybe there was some hackjob at the painters that bashed the frames the same way.

    You paid a lot of money for a steel hardtail. Send it back, please! If there is one thing Transition does the ebst in the industry, is take care of warranty replacements.

    plus, you KNOW you want the ISCG tabs. So sexy.

  11. #111
    Build More = Ride More
    Reputation: YoPawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by freeride333

    Does anyone here can explain me how to replace the rear wheel WITHOUT replacing these 2 black parts?
    I've made a flat tire, and had to unscrew these ones to replace the wheel...strange, and boring.

    By the way, some of you have ISCCG tabs? It's not my case...
    And yes, the paint is quiet frail...
    But I love my TransAM!
    You don't need to have those screws in there. They hold in fine with the forward hooked piece. Mine does not have screws BTW.

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    You don't need to have those screws in there. They hold in fine with the forward hooked piece. Mine does not have screws BTW.
    This the only thing I dont like about my TransAM

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    Oh crap. I think you might have got mine?

    Did it have a dent in the top flange of the head tube?

    Send it back dude. Don't screw around. I would be very sad if they reshipped the frame out to someone else. Or maybe there was some hackjob at the painters that bashed the frames the same way.

    You paid a lot of money for a steel hardtail. Send it back, please! If there is one thing Transition does the ebst in the industry, is take care of warranty replacements.

    plus, you KNOW you want the ISCG tabs. So sexy.
    Yeah thats the dent I had in the top front of the flange.
    I notified the bike shop and they have photos etc so, so long as the headset is ok then i'm fine. I just cannot wait another 4weeks for it to be here. Its not huge and the shop said it shouldnt affect the headset.
    As for ISCG mounts i'm not a big fan of them, I'm running it for xc/am so wont ever use it.
    When I put the headset in i'll see and take it from there.
    Cheers for advice

  14. #114
    Bricks Design rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    You don't need to have those screws in there. They hold in fine with the forward hooked piece. Mine does not have screws BTW.

    No screw? Strange...mine are clipsed and screwed, but TBC answered me to replace these two parts to access to the rear wheel, so...

  15. #115
    ohhman
    Reputation: salmansp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    322
    The Steed.

    Med TransAm
    2010 Fox 32 Float RLC 15 QR
    Sram XO shift/Der.
    Noir 1.1 Cranks
    Elixer CR Carbon Brakes
    Gravity Carbon Riser Bar
    Dt Swiss EX1750 Wheels
    Gamut Guide
    Thomson Post and stem

    26lbs

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by salmansp
    The Steed.
    Very nice
    Hopefully I'll have some cash saved up by next month to begin a build myself. I love the orange color, and the white Fox goes great with it.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    211
    Damn, Im a little upset that they came out with ISCG mounts on it, that would have made the frame even better than it is. Loving mine so far though, Ive had it since December.

  18. #118
    yelgatgab
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    454
    Got mine today. It's got ISCG tabs, no dropout screws, stickers applied (plus a bag of spares) and a whole ****load of sexy.

  19. #119
    Build More = Ride More
    Reputation: YoPawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    Got mine today. It's got ISCG tabs, no dropout screws, stickers applied (plus a bag of spares) and a whole ****load of sexy.
    Oh, just wait until the paint starts peeling off from air speeds over 20 MPH.

    I bought mine for the quality ride and to support a local company. Other than that, the fit and finish on this frame is REALLY pathetic considering the high price.

    Unless Transition starts doing better in that regard, this is going to be my last Transition frame. I sold my 2007 Preston because of little quality issues and having completely wrong geo compared to the website. Hopefully the TransAM holds up a bit better, but I doubt I will sell it if it doesn't.

  20. #120
    Just roll it......
    Reputation: ebxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,542
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    Got mine today. It's got ISCG tabs, no dropout screws, stickers applied (plus a bag of spares) and a whole ****load of sexy.
    Sweet! I'm still loving my TA and it's my XC/AM bike of choice these days.....probably helps that my fitness has improved for riding SS too!

    I rode it with a few buddies last weekend and MattPatt (who was on my arse) was shocked at how fast I was ripping chunder on that bike. There's very little that I won't ride on it that I hit on my 6x6.....mostly just drops with harder landings. The geo combined with a 6" fork and steel really make it a ripper.

    Word.
    EB

  21. #121
    Build More = Ride More
    Reputation: YoPawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Sweet! I'm still loving my TA and it's my XC/AM bike of choice these days.....probably helps that my fitness has improved for riding SS too!

    I rode it with a few buddies last weekend and MattPatt (who was on my arse) was shocked at how fast I was ripping chunder on that bike. There's very little that I won't ride on it that I hit on my 6x6.....mostly just drops with harder landings. The geo combined with a 6" fork and steel really make it a ripper.

    Word.
    EB
    I gotta say. It does ride so damn smooth! That's why I bought mine.

    Best riding hardtail I've ever been on.

  22. #122
    yelgatgab
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Sweet! I'm still loving my TA and it's my XC/AM bike of choice these days.....probably helps that my fitness has improved for riding SS too!

    I rode it with a few buddies last weekend and MattPatt (who was on my arse) was shocked at how fast I was ripping chunder on that bike. There's very little that I won't ride on it that I hit on my 6x6.....mostly just drops with harder landings. The geo combined with a 6" fork and steel really make it a ripper.

    Word.
    EB
    Nice. I got a Chameleon several years ago as something to XC on when I wasn't feeling like lugging the freeride bike around. I ended up using it on just about everything, save for lift and big shuttle days. The aluminum just started taking its toll. I'm looking forward to getting back to the basics, only on some nice, 'soft' steel this time.

    I'm still not 100% after my biff last season, so I'm keeping gears for now. I'm thinking SS is inevitable, though. I really like the simplicity of it.

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13
    Nice bikes guys! Charging camera battery to post up some of my build pics for yahs.
    Finally found a headset that will fit after scouring the state, and at $95 it wants to be GOOD! It did have some pimp carbon fibre for the bearing cover so thats cool and a very nice expanding tube thingy instead of the star nut. The dent did interfere a little but some light tap tapping got it in there with no damage or performance loss to the bearings so that is GOOD!
    Got my floats as well and looking very sexy, its all coming together now, I am hanging to ride it!
    Only thing is I dont want to cut the fork steerer yet until I get the geo settled, anybody know how to get around having lots of steerer tube sticking out? I know i'll need spacers but it looks like i'm gonna need ALOT.

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,261
    how much steerer do you need? 15 to 20mm above and below your stem should be plenty shouldn't it? combine with stem length and bar rise. I'm sure you'll love the bike. I love mine. even had it bmx r. brk only for awhile 'til a bail off a skinny got me!

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13
    Here are some pics of the build.
    The one of the grease is my 20month old son getting involved...priceless!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  26. #126
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    132
    nice. why did You pick Fox w/ QR insted of 15mm or 20mm ?

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,261
    anyone know where or if anyone has found that 32.8 seatclamp in other colors? it's an odd size. just wanted to add some color on my tr.am. green like the tr. parts (pedals, stem, end caps, and hs) i have hangin on it. thnx

  28. #128
    Build More = Ride More
    Reputation: YoPawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119
    anyone know where or if anyone has found that 32.8 seatclamp in other colors? it's an odd size. just wanted to add some color on my tr.am. green like the tr. parts (pedals, stem, end caps, and hs) i have hangin on it. thnx
    Maybe try spreading a 31.8 a little more?

    I'm pretty sad about this, as I want to slap a Hope clamp on there.

  29. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,261
    that's exactly what i was getting ready to do as well til i mic'ed it just to be sure and i couldn't find alternatives w/ hope, salsa, etc. I did try the 31.8 spread w/ a salsa but uncomfortable with that. oh well, the bike rips and i don't look at it as much as i ride it.

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation: terrible1one3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    277
    I believe Salsa makes an anodized green seatclamp in 32mm size.







    Pretty close in color I would say.

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,261
    i have that salsa qr clamp and with a decent sized flat head it wasn't cooperating. usually something's over or undersized enough that it all works out anyway but I'll make it my project to get my green on my blinglespeed.

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by tsuful
    nice. why did You pick Fox w/ QR insted of 15mm or 20mm ?
    Cost at the moment is my biggest factor. I saved $600AUD by getting the QR and thats also means that I have a few more wheel options to choose from each with an upgradable hub later on to the 15mm if I want. It made more sense to stick with the QR and wait and see where the whole 15mm thing will go.

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Glynis27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    799
    Has anybody tried to use a Hadley through bolt on the rear? It has a little nub that sits in vertical drops to keep it from spinning, so you only need 1 allen key to remove and install the wheel. I use one on my Vagrant and love it, but don't see how it would work on the TransAM.
    '15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    459

    No but

    I am running I9's w/ a DT RWS thru and it works great. Remove the rws thru and the wheel drops right out. Makes changing wheels, tire, or regular maintenance so much easier than when I used a quick release skewer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glynis27
    Has anybody tried to use a Hadley through bolt on the rear? It has a little nub that sits in vertical drops to keep it from spinning, so you only need 1 allen key to remove and install the wheel. I use one on my Vagrant and love it, but don't see how it would work on the TransAM.
    On another note I am still loving my TransAM. I've only ridden one of my other bikes twice since getting it. It really is the perfect "all mountain" bike. I'd say the biggest drops I've taken it off have been 3ft (which really isn't anything), but they are almost to flat, and the bike handled it with ease. It bombs steadily downhill, yet somehow is still nimble in twisty singletrack.

    I have few minor issues w/ fit and finish on the bike. There was a glob of paint in the head tube where the top bearing sits, nothing a sharp blade couldn't take care of though. It would have been nice for everything to have been faced. The second is that my rear triangle is slightly misaligned. Noticeable w/ bigger tires, as the clearance on the non-drive side is much tighter. Not noticeable while riding though, but I did have some rub. Still though I would not hesitate to buy another one, or recommend it to somebody. Wish I had the ISCG tabs, but that is the price paid for getting one of the first frames.

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kronk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    805
    pspwesty
    Mine had the glob of paint on the top of the head tube as well.
    I figured my wheel was dished a bit off since the tire rubbed on the left side, but maybe not...

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,261


    I really love this bike. My least expensive most fun build and ride. Ok, I dig my Covert, too.
    Last edited by 53119; 06-17-2009 at 07:07 AM.

  37. #137
    Bricks Design rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    56
    I received longer stem and bar, bash and chain guide...pictures to follow!

  38. #138
    yelgatgab
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynis27
    Has anybody tried to use a Hadley through bolt on the rear? It has a little nub that sits in vertical drops to keep it from spinning, so you only need 1 allen key to remove and install the wheel. I use one on my Vagrant and love it, but don't see how it would work on the TransAM.
    The nub will fit fine in the non-drive side horizontal dropout if you don't use the spacer. I'm more concerned about the length of the axle. I've got one on another bike. I'll give it a shot and let you know if it'll work.

  39. #139
    Bricks Design rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119


    I really love this bike. My least expensive most fun build and ride. Ok, I dig my Covert, too.


    Waoh, I didn't see the picture, your TransAM is very nice! Love the way you put the stickers, coOol !!
    My one at the Freeraid this WE :


    Now, I think about a 150mm fork...

  40. #140
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,261
    thanks. the sticker thing was an accident. I was going to lay em out straight and my 6yr old wanted to "help" so I let him and who woulda thought..so I did the down tube the same way. the decals twist candy cane style. I think I'm gonna do that to my Covert, too.

  41. #141
    Bricks Design rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    56

    Your son is gonna be a designer! I like the style, above all on the fork.
    Ah, maybe one day I'll switch my Magura Menja 130 for the new 150 RVL...it could be nice...

  42. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,261
    he's in sticker phase. his bike that he rides at the local bmx track looks like 30yr old toolbox! it's all good. Yeah, a RVL 150 would be nice. that's a 140 on mine I got used(barely). I've been diggin the SS set up but I might go geared. thinking about a Paul DT shifter mount i have laying around with an Ultegra DT shifter i dug up. I'd set it up 1x9.

  43. #143
    Bricks Design rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    56
    Hehe, I was singlespeeder to this winter, on a Commencal Combi, with a carbon fork. That was nice to prepare the summer season...and I think I'll do it again with the TransAM next winter (muddy France...).
    I love so much singlespeed that I wanted to continue but, I wanted something more versatile so I'm in 1x9 too, which is enough...

  44. #144
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,261
    France, hunh? My wife is from France also just outside of Paris. I have a friend in Provence. maybe a MegaAvalanche for me one day!

  45. #145
    Bricks Design rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    56
    Yeah, I'm a french rider. Don't know if there's a lot of TransAM, but I've already saw some Transition...I'd like to test the Megavalanche of Alpe d'Huez, but have to improve my level !

  46. #146
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Glynis27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    The nub will fit fine in the non-drive side horizontal dropout if you don't use the spacer. I'm more concerned about the length of the axle. I've got one on another bike. I'll give it a shot and let you know if it'll work.
    That would be great. Was thinking about getting a TransAm to replace/supplement my Vagrant as I have been doing much more XC than I originally planned. The TransAm looks easier to pedal and is the bike I would have gotten had I known it was going to be made. Would much rather stick with the Hadley rather than going to a DT.
    '15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

  47. #147
    yelgatgab
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynis27
    That would be great. Was thinking about getting a TransAm to replace/supplement my Vagrant as I have been doing much more XC than I originally planned. The TransAm looks easier to pedal and is the bike I would have gotten had I known it was going to be made. Would much rather stick with the Hadley rather than going to a DT.
    I tried it tonight, and it works fine. You have to ditch the non-drive side spacer, which I've done anyway, and I'm normally running a QR. Because of the additional spacing from the dropout spacer, it only threads about 2/3 of the way in, but I think it's plenty secure. The nub fits perfectly in the slot.

  48. #148
    Bricks Design rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    56
    Did you do it with a regular hub (that's to say a non specific one)? Because it would be easier to replace the wheel...
    The other solution would be to to that on a CNC machine :

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Glynis27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by freeride333
    Did you do it with a regular hub (that's to say a non specific one)? Because it would be easier to replace the wheel...
    The other solution would be to to that on a CNC machine :
    Yea, I had also thought about that, or maybe just cutting a notch partially through on the one side. Cause any problems or weakness? Shouldn't be any weaker than running it in SS mode.
    '15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

  50. #150
    Bricks Design rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    56
    That's the question...but TBC didn't propose it, so...it has to be tested.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •