Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    I think Im gonna stick with the Lyric for riding purposes, travel adjust, and a future on another bike.

Build's getting Blingy, can't wait to post some pics.
    Cannot wait for pics man. FWIW, the Lyrik coil is a kick ass fork. I had a first gen that got replaced this year and the thing is butter.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Kevmo got his TransAM last night, and had it built up by this afternoon, so we headed out to our usual winter weeknight riding spot for a pair of virgin rides. I gotta say, I'm going to have a lot of fun on this bike. One of the coolest things, after coming from a fully, is how quiet and solid this bike is on the trail.

I'm definitely a fan of 160mm mode, in 130mm it just felt too xc for me, even on flat trail. It'll be fun to bet back to hardtail style. Whenever I spend time on a hardtail, it makes me a better rider even on my DH sled.

We had fun riding tonight, the first real xc ride for us since Snowpocalypse 2008 hit here in Seattle. I feel much, much better after spending 2 hours on the trail. We didn't really feel like stopping much, but we snapped 2 pics at a little session spot along the trail.

Kev on his sparkly black SS TransAM with burly build.

Me on my sparkly orange TransAM with StarTrek wheels (which will be painted all black next time I'm bored - great wheels, though).

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Looks good guys! Stoked to hear you're diggin' the new rigs.
    Can't wait to be back on steel myself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That orange the TransAm comes in is hot in person. Saw one today.

wretch
    Ok here's the final build. Should be done by friday, pics probably as soon as shes been broken in. . . so stoked. I've been injured for the past just about 2 months and I can finally get back on the bike. I'm going back to the roots and rebuilding my leg strength and my fundamentals. Ready to be part of the TBC crew.

White Large TransAm

Lyric Coil U Turn (Black)
    Thomson Stem 70mm (Black)
    T-Bar 30" Bar
    09 XT Crankset / bb
    Juicy 7's 8" & 6"
    Thomson Elite Post
    TBC Revo's 32 Red w/ Grey Hub
    X9 RD and Shifter
    MRP G2 Mini for the 1x9 (34t for now) setup

mtbr member
    Picked mine up last Sat, and finally rode it today. Im kinda annoyed with the dropouts/hope pro 2 combo. I already lost one of the set screws on the trail. I will say that it rides sooo good on the WNC style trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chromejesus
    Picked mine up last Sat, and finally rode it today. Im kinda annoyed with the dropouts/hope pro 2 combo. I already lost one of the set screws on the trail. I will say that it rides sooo good on the WNC style trails
    What Pro 2 rear hub are you using? Im using the 10mm thru bolt version and its great. I too had an issue with the dropouts, my non-drive side set screw wasnt tapped well. I ended up using a small zip tie to ensure that it doesnt go anywhere when the wheel is off.

Slightly askew
    Ooops. Wrong user^ Thats me above^ with the pro 2 issues on my Transam. Im using a regular QRpro2 hub.(dagmz6s can you post pics of your set up?) Its really a pain to have to unbolt the entire rear end to remove the wheel. Maybe if a horizontal geared dropout(like the old chameleon style) was avail-maybe prob solved. Plus i had to shave a bit of material off the hanger to get my older XTR der to fit. Overall i love the bike, just some teething problems.
    Zero charisma

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    As a heads up on the "tiny screws" - they are very optional, and will likely be left off future frames. The driveside insert is the one doing the majority of the work in keeping the wheel straight - if you are running a regular QR you may want to try skipping the left insert, and if you are running a bolt on hub you can definitely skip the left one.

Also, the Transition 32 hubs have a thru axle style 10mm QR that you can take all the way out. So if you are using the Revolution 32 you can leave both inserts in the bike all the time, with the screws holding them in place.

Sliding dropouts are effective, but we wanted to do something a little more low profile and asthetically pleasing.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have the 10mm thru bolt rear Pro2, its an easy swap because their hubs are convertible, then Im using a DT Swiss 10mm RWS skewer. I just undo the skewer all the way and pull it out, then slide the wheel out as needed. Its really not that bad to do, and I appreciate the added stiffness.

Ive ridden the bike 3 times now, each time gets better. cant wait for the weather to get good permanently again so I can keep on riding it.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerthanmilhouse
    Ooops. Wrong user^ Thats me above^ with the pro 2 issues on my Transam. Im using a regular QRpro2 hub.(dagmz6s can you post pics of your set up?) Its really a pain to have to unbolt the entire rear end to remove the wheel. Maybe if a horizontal geared dropout(like the old chameleon style) was avail-maybe prob solved. Plus i had to shave a bit of material off the hanger to get my older XTR der to fit. Overall i love the bike, just some teething problems.

wretch
    useless bump. . . I'm picking up my new beauty today. . . pics to follow.

wretch
    Here we go. . . only thing left to do is switch out front rotor to 180 and get a longer adapter screw and figure out what to put on the headbadge. . . and dial in the Lyric.

F'in beautiful and looks even burlier and Transition like in person. Never built up a custom bike before, kinda speechless but in love none the less. Can't wait to git er dirty this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Truckee, that is one of the sickest white bikes I have seen. I am generally not a fan of white bikes but that is great looking. Must be the frame.

Owners w/ 160 forks, how do you like the ride? I have a Vanilla RLC and while I like the general feel of the fork and the geo is great for east cost trails, it is just not stiff enough. I am now debating on getting a new fork and which. Really leaning towards an adjustable long travel fork.

wretch
    Thanks PW. . . regarding the 160 it's something Im going to have to figure out with the HT. . . I did an easy few loops today and it stayed for the most part in 160 mode, minus one hard climb. I can forsee the extra travel being a little (dont know what word im looking for) when cornering hard and or fast. . . but again something I will learn and get used to.

Any tips of climbing steep and loose stuff on a HT never done it before and I found my self slipping out a lot, prolly just need to shift the hips back more and weight the bars, dunno. . .

Just roll it......
    Here we go. . . only thing left to do is switch out front rotor to 180 and get a longer adapter screw and figure out what to put on the headbadge. . . and dial in the Lyric.

F'in beautiful and looks even burlier and Transition like in person. Never built up a custom bike before, kinda speechless but in love none the less. Can't wait to git er dirty this morning.
    Looks killer man!!

Got out for a ride/hike/slog today with a few of the dudes today. Cam was on his proto Trans Am still, but Kevin just built up a new Trans Am with a similar build to yours.

Gotta say I'm getting stoked to pick mine up.

A shot of Kevin's new rig here. Super hot looking.

wretch
    Im digging that build. . . I wanted a white fork but I want coil - no air for me. . .

diggin the white stem. . . but im diggin the snow more. Just got back from a month in Tahoe (but due to a bum knee no ridin)

Had my first ride in over a month due to injury on her this am. Another tomm. I'm jealous of their 180 front rotor. . .shop didnt have it.

wretch
    in additon. . . the Lyric is butter. . . i've only ridden air before (never liked the feel). The travel adjust is pretty sweet, dropped it down once for a steep tech climb where I needed to get over the bars. . . Gotta figure out the mission control /floodgate. . .

mtbr member
    oh hell...what's one more Transition in the stable...sign me up

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Im digging that build. . . I wanted a white fork but I want coil - no air for me. . .

diggin the white stem. . . but im diggin the snow more. Just got back from a month in Tahoe (but due to a bum knee no ridin)

Had my first ride in over a month due to injury on her this am. Another tomm. I'm jealous of their 180 front rotor. . .shop didnt have it.
    Probably a bit late to mention this... but we have Lyric U-Turn Coil forks in stock in white. They are the forks with Mission Control damping - not the cheaper "IS" that we used to stock. Nice fork and features, but a bit heavy compared to the Fox 36 series. But for those that care, you do get travel adjust from a coil spring, so that is nice.

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes
    Probably a bit late to mention this... but we have Lyric U-Turn Coil forks in stock in white. They are the forks with Mission Control damping - not the cheaper "IS" that we used to stock. Nice fork and features, but a bit heavy compared to the Fox 36 series. But for those that care, you do get travel adjust from a coil spring, so that is nice.
    Then I have a bone to pick with Fish. . . White would of been nice but I'm still stoked with the black.

I've got the black mission control, but Im yet to experiment with it. I pulled up the floodgate and tested er out, in lamens terms it's meant for small bumps and can then be tuned with a hex key for it's compliance with big hits?

Problem with the mission control however when the floodgate is open is that it hits the frame if cornered, not super likely to happen, but it would suck if for some reason it was left up and the fork turned under the frame . . . Is there something Im missing?

Just rode her for the third day in a row, my fully is gonna be collecting dust.

Thanks again guys.

wretch
    Bump. . . the weight is around 32-33 lb's . . .grumble grumble

Dr Phil mmkay
    Problem with the mission control however when the floodgate is open is that it hits the frame if cornered, not super likely to happen, but it would suck if for some reason it was left up and the fork turned under the frame . . . Is there something Im missing?
    I've got the same issue with the mission control floodgate on the Totem for my Dirtbag. The top of the knob is slightly rounded so if I were to try and turn sharply, the knob would get slightly pushed down by the downtube. I'm sure this won't be an issue as chances are I won't be doing any high speed runs with the fork fully locked out.

Of course, all that is kind of pointless as my bars are so wide that if I try and turn the bar completely around, it ends up hitting my saddle.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Phil mmkay
    I've got the same issue with the mission control floodgate on the Totem for my Dirtbag. The top of the knob is slightly rounded so if I were to try and turn sharply, the knob would get slightly pushed down by the downtube. I'm sure this won't be an issue as chances are I won't be doing any high speed runs with the fork fully locked out.

Of course, all that is kind of pointless as my bars are so wide that if I try and turn the bar completely around, it ends up hitting my saddle.
    30" bars aren't meant for doing bar spins!

Dr Phil mmkay
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    30" bars aren't meant for doing bar spins!
    Yeah, I couldn't even pull off a bar spin to begin with, no matter the bar width.

mtbr member
    I'm so liking the look of these frames - the geometry is almost bang on what I was thinking. Same as my Balfa Minuteman but with an inch on the top tube and 140/160 forks instead of the 120 it was designed for back in nineteenoatcake.

One question for ya... will those dropouts work with a Rohloff hub?

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast