Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I agree that the old ones looked WAY better than the new ones.

That's not saying the new ones look bad but just not as good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucwil
    I got all my stuff through a local shop, they stock a few transition frames and goodies and I just happened to walk in the day they got that one in haha. I'm assuming you've checked dealer locator? A lot of shops don't stock transition stuff but will order it for you.
    Yeah, I used the dealer locator and found on about 2 hours away. I'm going to the shop in my town tomorrow so I'll see if they can order one for me. I hope so! All these pics are getting me excited haha beautiful bikes everyone and thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Introducing my new TransAM. Incredibly all-use bike, with a really similar geometry as my Covert...I love my TransAM!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    just got my trans am frame the other day. For those of you saying your bummed that it doesn't have iscg mounts, pretty sure all the new frames will, because mine has the. Hammerschmidt in the near future perhaps. Have yet to ride, will try and post pics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yay for iscg!

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by spoker247
    just got my trans am frame the other day. For those of you saying your bummed that it doesn't have iscg mounts, pretty sure all the new frames will, because mine has the. Hammerschmidt in the near future perhaps. Have yet to ride, will try and post pics.
    Got mine too. Well, after getting one that was dented and having to send it back. What a kick in the nuts!

Yuppers! It has a ISCG tabs on it.

This frame looks great and rides amazingly well. Well enough, that I'm willing to let some annoyances slide.

Couple of things that I'm not so stoked on:
    - Doesn't actually fit an 8 inch rotor if you are running the derailleur hanger on it for non-single speed. Mine cut into the chain stay just trying to put the wheel in. Not too big of an issue, since I should be running a 7 incher on there for this type of bike. Web site say up to 8 inches, so I was annoyed by cutting into my chain stay.
    - Paint doesn't seem to be much more durable than the stuff on my Preston.
    - Thru-axle can be a ***** to get through the TBC hub sometimes.
    - 32.8mm seat clamp size. Good luck finding something other than the one that came with the bike. Very strange.
    - Lots of paint spray overlap into the seat tube and BB threads. I've had to go through and take a bunch out so my stuff fits. I would expect it to be ready out of the box for $650.
    - My first frame came with no stickers on it and I was stoked to be able to put my own on it. Second frame comes with a sticker pack, but already has orange stickers on there? WTF? No I have to take a heat gun to the frame to get the old ones off. On top of that, why put orange ones on and them give me more orange ones in the package with the blue and silver? Again, WTF?

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009

Does anyone here can explain me how to replace the rear wheel WITHOUT replacing these 2 black parts?
    I've made a flat tire, and had to unscrew these ones to replace the wheel...strange, and boring.

By the way, some of you have ISCCG tabs? It's not my case...
    And yes, the paint is quiet frail...
    But I love my TransAM!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    got mine today, no iscg mounts and had a small dent in the headtube, but nothing major. I'm not going to send it back as I am not waiting another 4weeks for it to arrive. I'm sure it will be just fine. No stickers on mine either which is great, overall its looking like a great frame and looking forward to start building it up. Will post up some build pics as it goes.
    Also no issues with overspray etc its all looking good!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    mine came with stickers on it as well, and had chase the threads on the bb, non-drive side was fine but drive side was horrible. Is it just me or is it a giant pain in the ass to take the rear wheel out? I thought it was just going to be like taking a wheel off a bike with abp, just pull the skewer and done. I know you need to pull the rear wheel adapters off and hence the rear der. I also have to take my rear brake off because the rotor does not clear the caliper, i'm only running a 6" rotor. Anyone else have this problem? rode it for the first time yesterday and it was a blast.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by wombo
    got mine today, no iscg mounts and had a small dent in the headtube, but nothing major. I'm not going to send it back as I am not waiting another 4weeks for it to arrive. I'm sure it will be just fine. No stickers on mine either which is great, overall its looking like a great frame and looking forward to start building it up. Will post up some build pics as it goes.
    Also no issues with overspray etc its all looking good!
    Oh crap. I think you might have got mine?

Did it have a dent in the top flange of the head tube?

Send it back dude. Don't screw around. I would be very sad if they reshipped the frame out to someone else. Or maybe there was some hackjob at the painters that bashed the frames the same way.

You paid a lot of money for a steel hardtail. Send it back, please! If there is one thing Transition does the ebst in the industry, is take care of warranty replacements.

plus, you KNOW you want the ISCG tabs. So sexy.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by freeride333

Does anyone here can explain me how to replace the rear wheel WITHOUT replacing these 2 black parts?
    I've made a flat tire, and had to unscrew these ones to replace the wheel...strange, and boring.

By the way, some of you have ISCCG tabs? It's not my case...
    And yes, the paint is quiet frail...
    But I love my TransAM!
    You don't need to have those screws in there. They hold in fine with the forward hooked piece. Mine does not have screws BTW.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    You don't need to have those screws in there. They hold in fine with the forward hooked piece. Mine does not have screws BTW.
    This the only thing I dont like about my TransAM

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Oh crap. I think you might have got mine?

Did it have a dent in the top flange of the head tube?

Send it back dude. Don't screw around. I would be very sad if they reshipped the frame out to someone else. Or maybe there was some hackjob at the painters that bashed the frames the same way.

You paid a lot of money for a steel hardtail. Send it back, please! If there is one thing Transition does the ebst in the industry, is take care of warranty replacements.

plus, you KNOW you want the ISCG tabs. So sexy.
    Yeah thats the dent I had in the top front of the flange.
    I notified the bike shop and they have photos etc so, so long as the headset is ok then i'm fine. I just cannot wait another 4weeks for it to be here. Its not huge and the shop said it shouldnt affect the headset.
    As for ISCG mounts i'm not a big fan of them, I'm running it for xc/am so wont ever use it.
    When I put the headset in i'll see and take it from there.
    Cheers for advice

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009

No screw? Strange...mine are clipsed and screwed, but TBC answered me to replace these two parts to access to the rear wheel, so...

ohhman
    The Steed.

Med TransAm
    2010 Fox 32 Float RLC 15 QR
    Sram XO shift/Der.
    Noir 1.1 Cranks
    Elixer CR Carbon Brakes
    Gravity Carbon Riser Bar
    Dt Swiss EX1750 Wheels
    Gamut Guide
    Thomson Post and stem

26lbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by salmansp
    The Steed.
    Very nice
    Hopefully I'll have some cash saved up by next month to begin a build myself. I love the orange color, and the white Fox goes great with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Damn, Im a little upset that they came out with ISCG mounts on it, that would have made the frame even better than it is. Loving mine so far though, Ive had it since December.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Got mine today. It's got ISCG tabs, no dropout screws, stickers applied (plus a bag of spares) and a whole shitload of sexy.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    Got mine today. It's got ISCG tabs, no dropout screws, stickers applied (plus a bag of spares) and a whole shitload of sexy.
    Oh, just wait until the paint starts peeling off from air speeds over 20 MPH.

I bought mine for the quality ride and to support a local company. Other than that, the fit and finish on this frame is REALLY pathetic considering the high price.

Unless Transition starts doing better in that regard, this is going to be my last Transition frame. I sold my 2007 Preston because of little quality issues and having completely wrong geo compared to the website. Hopefully the TransAM holds up a bit better, but I doubt I will sell it if it doesn't.

Just roll it......
    Sweet! I'm still loving my TA and it's my XC/AM bike of choice these days.....probably helps that my fitness has improved for riding SS too!

I rode it with a few buddies last weekend and MattPatt (who was on my arse) was shocked at how fast I was ripping chunder on that bike. There's very little that I won't ride on it that I hit on my 6x6.....mostly just drops with harder landings. The geo combined with a 6" fork and steel really make it a ripper.

Word.
    EB

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Sweet! I'm still loving my TA and it's my XC/AM bike of choice these days.....probably helps that my fitness has improved for riding SS too!

I rode it with a few buddies last weekend and MattPatt (who was on my arse) was shocked at how fast I was ripping chunder on that bike. There's very little that I won't ride on it that I hit on my 6x6.....mostly just drops with harder landings. The geo combined with a 6" fork and steel really make it a ripper.

Word.
    EB
    I gotta say. It does ride so damn smooth! That's why I bought mine.

Best riding hardtail I've ever been on.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme

Word.
    EB
    Nice. I got a Chameleon several years ago as something to XC on when I wasn't feeling like lugging the freeride bike around. I ended up using it on just about everything, save for lift and big shuttle days. The aluminum just started taking its toll. I'm looking forward to getting back to the basics, only on some nice, 'soft' steel this time.

I'm still not 100% after my biff last season, so I'm keeping gears for now. I'm thinking SS is inevitable, though. I really like the simplicity of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice bikes guys! Charging camera battery to post up some of my build pics for yahs.
    Finally found a headset that will fit after scouring the state, and at $95 it wants to be GOOD! It did have some pimp carbon fibre for the bearing cover so thats cool and a very nice expanding tube thingy instead of the star nut. The dent did interfere a little but some light tap tapping got it in there with no damage or performance loss to the bearings so that is GOOD!
    Got my floats as well and looking very sexy, its all coming together now, I am hanging to ride it!
    Only thing is I dont want to cut the fork steerer yet until I get the geo settled, anybody know how to get around having lots of steerer tube sticking out? I know i'll need spacers but it looks like i'm gonna need ALOT.

mtbr member
    how much steerer do you need? 15 to 20mm above and below your stem should be plenty shouldn't it? combine with stem length and bar rise. I'm sure you'll love the bike. I love mine. even had it bmx r. brk only for awhile 'til a bail off a skinny got me!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Here are some pics of the build.
    The one of the grease is my 20month old son getting involved...priceless!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    nice. why did You pick Fox w/ QR insted of 15mm or 20mm ?

mtbr member
    anyone know where or if anyone has found that 32.8 seatclamp in other colors? it's an odd size. just wanted to add some color on my tr.am. green like the tr. parts (pedals, stem, end caps, and hs) i have hangin on it. thnx

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119
    anyone know where or if anyone has found that 32.8 seatclamp in other colors? it's an odd size. just wanted to add some color on my tr.am. green like the tr. parts (pedals, stem, end caps, and hs) i have hangin on it. thnx
    Maybe try spreading a 31.8 a little more?

I'm pretty sad about this, as I want to slap a Hope clamp on there.

mtbr member
    that's exactly what i was getting ready to do as well til i mic'ed it just to be sure and i couldn't find alternatives w/ hope, salsa, etc. I did try the 31.8 spread w/ a salsa but uncomfortable with that. oh well, the bike rips and i don't look at it as much as i ride it.

mtbr member
    I believe Salsa makes an anodized green seatclamp in 32mm size.

Pretty close in color I would say.

mtbr member
    i have that salsa qr clamp and with a decent sized flat head it wasn't cooperating. usually something's over or undersized enough that it all works out anyway but I'll make it my project to get my green on my blinglespeed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tsuful
    nice. why did You pick Fox w/ QR insted of 15mm or 20mm ?
    Cost at the moment is my biggest factor. I saved $600AUD by getting the QR and thats also means that I have a few more wheel options to choose from each with an upgradable hub later on to the 15mm if I want. It made more sense to stick with the QR and wait and see where the whole 15mm thing will go.

mtbr member
    Has anybody tried to use a Hadley through bolt on the rear? It has a little nub that sits in vertical drops to keep it from spinning, so you only need 1 allen key to remove and install the wheel. I use one on my Vagrant and love it, but don't see how it would work on the TransAM.
    '15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

No but

I am running I9's w/ a DT RWS thru and it works great. Remove the rws thru and the wheel drops right out. Makes changing wheels, tire, or regular maintenance so much easier than when I used a quick release skewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Glynis27
    Has anybody tried to use a Hadley through bolt on the rear? It has a little nub that sits in vertical drops to keep it from spinning, so you only need 1 allen key to remove and install the wheel. I use one on my Vagrant and love it, but don't see how it would work on the TransAM.
    On another note I am still loving my TransAM. I've only ridden one of my other bikes twice since getting it. It really is the perfect "all mountain" bike. I'd say the biggest drops I've taken it off have been 3ft (which really isn't anything), but they are almost to flat, and the bike handled it with ease. It bombs steadily downhill, yet somehow is still nimble in twisty singletrack.

I have few minor issues w/ fit and finish on the bike. There was a glob of paint in the head tube where the top bearing sits, nothing a sharp blade couldn't take care of though. It would have been nice for everything to have been faced. The second is that my rear triangle is slightly misaligned. Noticeable w/ bigger tires, as the clearance on the non-drive side is much tighter. Not noticeable while riding though, but I did have some rub. Still though I would not hesitate to buy another one, or recommend it to somebody. Wish I had the ISCG tabs, but that is the price paid for getting one of the first frames.

mtbr member
    pspwesty
    Mine had the glob of paint on the top of the head tube as well.
    I figured my wheel was dished a bit off since the tire rubbed on the left side, but maybe not...

mtbr member

I really love this bike. My least expensive most fun build and ride. Ok, I dig my Covert, too.
    Last edited by 53119; 06-17-2009 at 07:07 AM.

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009
    I received longer stem and bar, bash and chain guide...pictures to follow!

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    The nub will fit fine in the non-drive side horizontal dropout if you don't use the spacer. I'm more concerned about the length of the axle. I've got one on another bike. I'll give it a shot and let you know if it'll work.

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119

I really love this bike. My least expensive most fun build and ride. Ok, I dig my Covert, too.

Waoh, I didn't see the picture, your TransAM is very nice! Love the way you put the stickers, coOol !!
    My one at the Freeraid this WE :

Now, I think about a 150mm fork...

mtbr member
    thanks. the sticker thing was an accident. I was going to lay em out straight and my 6yr old wanted to "help" so I let him and who woulda thought..so I did the down tube the same way. the decals twist candy cane style. I think I'm gonna do that to my Covert, too.

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009

Your son is gonna be a designer! I like the style, above all on the fork.
    Ah, maybe one day I'll switch my Magura Menja 130 for the new 150 RVL...it could be nice...

mtbr member
    he's in sticker phase. his bike that he rides at the local bmx track looks like 30yr old toolbox! it's all good. Yeah, a RVL 150 would be nice. that's a 140 on mine I got used(barely). I've been diggin the SS set up but I might go geared. thinking about a Paul DT shifter mount i have laying around with an Ultegra DT shifter i dug up. I'd set it up 1x9.

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009
    Hehe, I was singlespeeder to this winter, on a Commencal Combi, with a carbon fork. That was nice to prepare the summer season...and I think I'll do it again with the TransAM next winter (muddy France...).
    I love so much singlespeed that I wanted to continue but, I wanted something more versatile so I'm in 1x9 too, which is enough...

mtbr member
    France, hunh? My wife is from France also just outside of Paris. I have a friend in Provence. maybe a MegaAvalanche for me one day!

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009
    Yeah, I'm a french rider. Don't know if there's a lot of TransAM, but I've already saw some Transition...I'd like to test the Megavalanche of Alpe d'Huez, but have to improve my level !

mtbr member
    The nub will fit fine in the non-drive side horizontal dropout if you don't use the spacer. I'm more concerned about the length of the axle. I've got one on another bike. I'll give it a shot and let you know if it'll work.
    That would be great. Was thinking about getting a TransAm to replace/supplement my Vagrant as I have been doing much more XC than I originally planned. The TransAm looks easier to pedal and is the bike I would have gotten had I known it was going to be made. Would much rather stick with the Hadley rather than going to a DT.
    '15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    That would be great. Was thinking about getting a TransAm to replace/supplement my Vagrant as I have been doing much more XC than I originally planned. The TransAm looks easier to pedal and is the bike I would have gotten had I known it was going to be made. Would much rather stick with the Hadley rather than going to a DT.
    I tried it tonight, and it works fine. You have to ditch the non-drive side spacer, which I've done anyway, and I'm normally running a QR. Because of the additional spacing from the dropout spacer, it only threads about 2/3 of the way in, but I think it's plenty secure. The nub fits perfectly in the slot.

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009
    Did you do it with a regular hub (that's to say a non specific one)? Because it would be easier to replace the wheel...
    The other solution would be to to that on a CNC machine :

mtbr member
    Did you do it with a regular hub (that's to say a non specific one)? Because it would be easier to replace the wheel...
    The other solution would be to to that on a CNC machine :
    Yea, I had also thought about that, or maybe just cutting a notch partially through on the one side. Cause any problems or weakness? Shouldn't be any weaker than running it in SS mode.

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009
    That's the question...but TBC didn't propose it, so...it has to be tested.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    What's in question? I'm not understanding the issue.

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009
    I was thinking about the weakness of such system...

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    I was thinking about the weakness of such system...
    Of the cut out?

Why bother with the cutout? The non-drive side spacer is unnecessary.

Are we talking about the same thing?

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009
    Yes, about the cut out. But if you say that the non-drive one is unnecessary, it's useless. I'm going to test that! Thanks.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Yes, about the cut out. But if you say that the non-drive one is unnecessary, it's useless. I'm going to test that! Thanks.
    I see what you're saying. I haven't had any issues so far, and I tossed the non-drive side spacer into the parts bin the day I got it. It may be worth a call to the guys at Transition. I suppose a solid axle might have enough leverage that if the spacer-less side slipped it could torque the dropout to the point that it bent the alignment tabs. However, a solid axle 'grips' much better than a QR, and I haven't had wheel slippage issues w/ a QR on this bike nor on my old Chameleon....FWIW.

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009
    53119, how did you replace the stickers from the fork?

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what you mean. I just peeled off the RKSHX ones and used the extra that Tr. sends with the frameset. Although, maybe some frames may not get sent out with extras. Tr. does offer sticker packs for each model. Cheap way to get that "new" bike feel, too.

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009
    In fact, I wanted to know how you peel off the stickers from the fork...hum, have to improve my english if I want to visit Morewood in August...

ohhman
    New build.. 24.5 lbs

TransAm 24.6 lbs 2010 Fox Float RC2 15QR DT Swiss EX1750 Wheels Truvativ Noir Crankset Avid Elixer CR Brakes Thomson post and stem Gravity Carbon riser bar Kenda rubber

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    WOW dude ! You are prabobly sleeping on the money. 2 bikes ....
    You can give one to me if theres to many in Your garage
    both look super nice. and the V2 Covert looks killer

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an orange one. Can anyone explain why transition went with an integrated headset?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by salmansp
    New build.. 24.5 lbs

TransAm 24.6 lbs 2010 Fox Float RC2 15QR DT Swiss EX1750 Wheels Truvativ Noir Crankset Avid Elixer CR Brakes Thomson post and stem Gravity Carbon riser bar Kenda rubber
    and plastic pedals

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009
    I see what you're saying. I haven't had any issues so far, and I tossed the non-drive side spacer into the parts bin the day I got it. It may be worth a call to the guys at Transition. I suppose a solid axle might have enough leverage that if the spacer-less side slipped it could torque the dropout to the point that it bent the alignment tabs. However, a solid axle 'grips' much better than a QR, and I haven't had wheel slippage issues w/ a QR on this bike nor on my old Chameleon....FWIW.

I tested it this WE : it works, great!

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009

French build! Next step : new front tire...

mtbr member
    Has anyone with a a TransAm also had a Vagrant? Able to compare at all?

mtbr member
    Well, I just got back from my first ride on a hardtail in 12 years! I'm coming off a Preston and was initially thinking I'd have to slow it down a bit to get used to my new ride. Lucky me. That did not happen! It was actually quite the opposite. I had an absolute blast riding this bike. The TransAM will remain in my stable for a very long time.

I built this bike up with mostly parts from my Preston. Lyrik U-Turn, Hone cranks, 32 Revs, Elixir CR, X9. On the bathroom scale she averages 35.8Lbs. WooHoo!!... That's over 5lbs. lighter than my Preston!

I was stoked to see that the frame now has ISCG tabs. Hmmm... do I see a HS in my future??

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009
    Really nice!
    And I like the shiny stickers too...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    im very close to getting one of these,when i can get through to transition to have a chat about a few things,im in england .anyone know the best time and number to talk to someone

when i build it up i think i want to build it how the guys who designed it intended it to be built,so in most pics ive seen they seem to use a 50mm stem which looks cool,and great for when your in play mode or pointing down ,but what about when climbing in ss mode,

i already ride ss alot but with a 90mm stem or a rigid fork,so i want to know how it handles a 160mm fork and short stem on climbs,i might use a 18 at the back to instead of a 16

i cant get enough pics and info and ride reports on this bike so keep it coming guys

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by tony [email
    berlin71@hotmail.com[/email]]im very close to getting one of these,when i can get through to transition to have a chat about a few things,im in england .anyone know the best time and number to talk to someone

when i build it up i think i want to build it how the guys who designed it intended it to be built,so in most pics ive seen they seem to use a 50mm stem which looks cool,and great for when your in play mode or pointing down ,but what about when climbing in ss mode,

i already ride ss alot but with a 90mm stem or a rigid fork,so i want to know how it handles a 160mm fork and short stem on climbs,i might use a 18 at the back to instead of a 16

i cant get enough pics and info and ride reports on this bike so keep it coming guys
    A lot of guys use the 50mm stem that comes with it.

From the TransAMs I've tried, it's better to run a slightly longer stem and running the fork longer. Seems like people prefer 140mm travel with 50mm stem. I've been liking my TransAM with a 60mm NO RISE (important) stem and find it better at 150-160mm.

With the 60mm no rise stem mounted as low as possible, and the fork at 150mm, there doesn't seem to be much holding this bike back from stupid steep climbs. I more often than not run out of traction before the bike starts to wheelie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    how many pounds does this frame weigh with the ISCG tabs and medium size (17.5-18'')?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My Trans-am arrived friday

Size large with ISCG mounts and QR seat clamp weighs in at 6lb 5oz's (drop out pieces not included in weight)

The drop out pieces have been revised. No more screws. Just a simple dropout piece on both sides that help keep the axle in place. Ill try and post pics soon.

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    you guys with the large TransAMs....how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone running a TransAm with an adjustable fork? How does it feel @ 100, or 120mm?

Geo still too slack for racing SS XC?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude
    you guys with the large TransAMs....how tall are you?
    just shy of 6' 2"
    b

mtbr member
    I can't really say anything about it for XC racing because I'm coming from freeride bikes so it doesn't seem slack to me at all, but I've been running an SS TransAm with 100mm fork. I like it. Check out this video if you want to see how it looks in flight

<object width='500' height='375'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/67297/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/67297/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='375' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object>
    Binary • Transition Bikes • Demon Dirt •

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by JHANguyen
    Anyone running a TransAm with an adjustable fork? How does it feel @ 100, or 120mm?

Geo still too slack for racing SS XC?
    I run a lyrik uturn that goes from 160mm down to 100mm. For some reason mine goes down more than others.

Anyways, I would never ride this bike at 100mm unless going uphill. It puts the seat tube way too vertical for riding on flat ground. It feels like you can endo just sitting there.

For XC, I've been riding it at 130mm. It puts my weight perfectly balanced font and year.

I run a 60mm no rise stem.

Also, this is a stiff and relatively heavy frame for XC, so putting a weak fork on there may not do it justice. For XC racing, this is clearly NOT the ideal bike, unless you weigh 250+ lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm going to be building up a bike in the next year or so and I'm looking at the TransAM and the new Evil Soveriegn. I'm somewhat new to Mtn. Biking though, how do these two compare? Geo and stuff like that.

Also, I've heard mention above in a few post the Santa Cruz Chameleon. This bike has always appealed to me in the style of riding it was meant for but don't want a aluminum bike and prefer steel. Are some of you saying that the TA compares to the Chameleon? Or how does it compare? Geo? Riding style?

The only thing that really concerns me about the TA from reading this thread is the quality issues some of you are having. The 'dent' in a brand new frame. The 'paint' not being applied well or just over-running into the tubes. Seems like if I'm going to spend around 700 bucks for a new frame ONLY, it needs to be damn near perfect. But I'm not one to buy a new bike every year or two and when I build my new bike I'll probably be riding it for the next 10 years or more, or so I say as I've heard building bikes can be addicting. So as I'm looking for durability, I'm also looking for quality as well (I don't wanna end up with a half stripped paint TA in a year and a half). Maybe I need to be looking at a price range of a few hundred more dollars, I dunno.

Thanx. Sorry for the slight rant.

mtbr member
    here is the writeup i did on mine:

Transition Bikes – Trans AM – All Mountain

Ok so I wanted to write up a real honest review of my new Transition Trans AM biked I picked up a few months back. I have been working with transition on builds for quite some time and don’t have enough good things to say about the company.

Let me start this off with a bit of a discussion about wheels size. I built up a single speed 29’er this past winter as a simple bike I could just grab and ride. I was new to single speed, 29” wheels and a rigid fork. In the end I loved the bike it was simple and maintenance free but it just didn’t do it for me. My riding style does not fit that of a 29’er they just aren’t flick’able to me. I am 5’10 tops, ride standing up so I can hop over, on or around anything that comes my way.

I landed on the Trans AM because the general spirit of this bike was exactly what I was looking for, simple, clean, and reliable. Transition’s website puts it out there on the description of the bike ‘The TransAM hard tail brings back the basics of what true all mountain trail riding is all about.’ – where do I sign? When I pulled it out of the box it was so clean, the internal headset is a great hint taken from bmx that adds a level of smooth to the frame that is best appreciated in person.

I chose a pretty solid build for this bike with a fox 36 talas fork, all Thompson, XTR Cranks, large but light casing tires, and some trick Brown i9 Wheels Converted to singlespeed (brown is an ew colorway for them)The whole thing took me about 2 hours to build if you don’t count the chain setup issues I had. The bmx half link chain at 88 half links was to short for my build so I had to work up a solution, but I ordered a second chain and it is all good now.

On the trail the bike is ridiculous, it is COMPLETELY silent. I hate any noise, clunk, chatter, thump whatever it just makes me feel like I am going slower and drives me mentally insane. So to have such a silent machine is a god send, the steel really deadens trail noise and makes for a solid platform in any situation. With a 70mm Thompson stem and the overbuilt fork, the bike descends amazingly, the minute I jumped on it there was the feeling of ‘my bike’, it was just that comfortable. On the climbs it does damn well, I am running a 32t/18t combo, which is a good setup for the quick ups and downs of our east coast terrain.

Ahhhh...my fox 36 talas, I bought this fork about 3 years ago for a build I was doing on a Transition BottleRocket and in that time it has been on numerous bikes. An EVIL Soveirgn, Transition Bottlerocket, Transition Blindside, Tonic Fabrications Howie, and a Santa Cruz Heckler. With only 1 rebuild in that time frame it is an incredible testimate to fox and why they are the best. It hasn’t let me down from east coast xc races, to trail rides in Moab and even on the greasy steeps of Vancouver’s North Shore. It is right at home on this bike sitting nice and low at 110 mm.

In technical situations I couldn’t ask for more I can jump in and out of turns with ease making quick work of my old 29’er. I am running a set of Titec Flat tracker bars which are aimed at the single speed crowd, but turn them upwards for a trials like feel and a slight rise which makes the bike that much more stable in the techy stuff.

In conclusion, I am going to make the statement that this is the most fun mountain bike I have owned (and that is a long list). Every time I ride this bike it reminds me of exactly why I love riding mountain bikes. The bike disappears under me and lets me do what I like doing and that is ripping trails. Thanks to the guys at Scholl’s Bicycle Centers, Cam @ Transition Bikes, and Brandi @ i9 for the strange wheel configuration.

If anyone is interested in picking one of these up MSRP on the frame is a cool $569.00 (Not bad for a steel frame of this quality).

Complete Spec:
    Frame: Transition Trans-AM (white) 16.5
    Fork: 2004 Fox 36 Talas 110mm Travel
    Headset: Eastern Internal
    Hubs: Industry Nine
    Rims: Industry Nine
    Chain: KHE Hollow Pin Half Link 3/32"
    Tires: F/Maxxis Advantage 2.4 Kevlar R/Kenda Small Block 8 2.3
    Cranks: Shimano XTR 175mm 32t ti-carbon ring
    Pedals: Crank Brother Candy SL
    Seat post: Thompson elite
    Seat: WTB Silverado
    Brakes: Avid BB7 160mm rotors
    Levers: XTR
    Stem: Thompson 70mm
    Bars: Titec Flat Tracker-sweep turned up
    Grips: ODI Ruffian (dremeled for extra sticky & soft)
    Weight: don’t have it yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manhattanprjkt83
    here is the writeup i did on mine:

Transition Bikes – Trans AM – All Mountain

Ok so I wanted to write up a real honest review of my new Transition Trans AM biked I picked up a few months back.

In conclusion, I am going to make the statement that this is the most fun mountain bike I have owned (and that is a long list). Every time I ride this bike it reminds me of exactly why I love riding mountain bikes. The bike disappears under me and lets me do what I like doing and that is ripping trails. Thanks to the guys at Scholl’s Bicycle Centers, Cam @ Transition Bikes, and Brandi @ i9 for the strange wheel configuration.

]
    YEP, THATS WHAT I FEEL IN A NUT SHELL.

Eating Hot Pockets
    Quote Originally Posted by manhattanprjkt83
    An EVIL Soveirgn, Transition Bottlerocket, Transition Blindside, Tonic Fabrications Howie, and a Santa Cruz Heckler.
    how's the T/A's ride compare to the Sovereign's ride?

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    ...just ordered a up a small, in black...

My beloved Peyto frame (that just had one large and one small hairline crack repaired and was freshly PC'd) just had the small hairline crack...uh, well, re-crack. I guess considering I paid $450 for it near seven years ago, it's served pretty damn well, considering.

The small TransAM, when run with the fork setup I have now will give me near identical geometry, about a half pound more weight, and no worry in the back of my head about when the crack is going to go all the way when riding...

You can sorta' see it here.

Only thing that won't swap over is the headset, so have one of the TBC units coming as well, in red, to match the rest of the swapped over stuff.

Going to have to see about if I can get a re-weld from a frame builder that will hold...right on a weld in the chainstay bend just back of the BB area on the drive-side. It's not a bent tube, but a couple bits brazed together with a reinforcing plate on the inside. The crack is right on the top of the stay. May be fine to ride, may not, but the back of my head is getting nervous about it, so will just ride other bikes until the new frame shows up.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Peyto looks goood.

Here's my TransAm

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    curious as to the weight of some of these.

I got a 31lb FS all mountain rig and a 24lb XC hardtail. I want this thing to weigh closer to my XC bike. Im guessing the way Ill have it set up it should be around 25-26lb's. Ive already got the frame (large black), but Im still collecting parts.

Some of your builds are similar to mine in many ways. Wanted the info for comparison.

mtbr member
    Seeing all this makes me want to try one too. I've had SC Camels before and loved them but well,... I'd like to try a steel frame. Anyone has experience on both the Chameleon and the TA ? And : is it a good idea to to run it with Hammerschmidt, now that the frame has ISCG tabs ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

updated

A few months ago I was able to get a Float 36 for a good price on ebay. I dropped the fork down to 140 after a couple of rides. The handling at 160 just didn't work for me. Earlier in the summer I had also picked up a set of SLX cranks and swapped outthe 22t ring for a 24t and the bash for a Gamut one.
    Last edited by pspwesty; 10-25-2009 at 08:31 PM.

mtbr member
    very nice bikes, love the trans am, heres mine just converted to singlespeed, think is the first trans am here in colombia

sr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-pa250009.jpg  

It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-pa250027.jpg  

It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-pa250048.jpg  

Last edited by sroman; 11-03-2009 at 10:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    why is it not working at 150mm,

anyone got any pics with the seat down in downhill mode cheers

TransAM small frame. 5# 15oz. Roughly a pound heavier than its long-serving, well loved, and now cracked predecessor.

Finished swapping the parts over at 11:40P.M. this evening. Hope to get some pedal time in the next couple days...

30# 4oz.
    No lightweight by any stretch, but four cracked/broken hardtails (two of them pretty burly) over the years has me not having any issue with that.

Static numbers as measured on my somewhat uneven garage floor, with the Lyrik at 160mm:

BB height: 13.25"
    head angle somewhere between 67-68*
    wheelbase 42.5"

The Lyrik knobs clear just fine, with the stock headset. Me likey the simple and sano headset dealio. Will leave the fork at 160mm for a bit, then if things feel too slack, go down by 10mm at a time until the sweet spot is hit. I think with the BB height where it is and the head angle as is, paired with the chunky rocks out here, it'll likely stay at 160mm though.

I managed to get my Salsa 31.8mm seat clamp to work rather than the sorta' cheapo stock 32.8mm size (oddball size, that) - thread the bolt in from the other direction with a penny for it to butt up against - thus spreading it just enough to slip over the seat-tube. The Gravity Dropper post/shim combo to fit the 30.0mm seat-tube is just peachy - no slippage or binding AFAIKT.

I may do some Dremel tool work on the dropout sliders/keepers and open up the backsides so that rear skewer removal isn't needed to get the wheel out. The forward tabs on the bits ought to work just fine on their own, as everything is kept nicely in place otherwise with the wheel clamped in the frame. That said, the hanger is nice and beefy. I ordered up a couple spares with the frame, but may not need on for a while...

A bit of paint overspray on the headset area/seattube/BB threads. Easily fixed, and something that I'm not concerned with on a frame at this pricepoint. The very front of the headtube at the top had a slight ding on the outer bearing seat bits. Bearing was a tight fit, but a bit of grease and things popped right in. Nice and smooth, no binding on the bearings or cover after. No bottle braze on on the down-tube is something I may remedy, but is no deal breaker. More for long hot rides in summer when the extra 20oz. is nice.

Eating Hot Pockets
    looks good Scrub.

no bashguard with New England rocks and trees?

i'm looking forward to building up my T/A....

mtbr member
    Nice! Very nice build - keep us updated. Ya, I agree that bottle cage mounts would be a nice luxury on that frame. I'd like to see Hammershcmidt cable guides and a standardized (30.9 or 31.6) seat post size. Maybe in future versions. Although, it may ruin some "clean" lines of the frame.

think
    Jul 2008
    To tell you the truth my major annoyance with my TransAM is that the steatpost is a stupid ****ing size. I have no idea why they didn't make it something you could have more options with adjustable posts without shims, etc with.

Lots of good looking transam's in this thread that all weigh less than mine

Quote Originally Posted by in the trees
    Nice! Very nice build - keep us updated. Ya, I agree that bottle cage mounts would be a nice luxury on that frame. I'd like to see Hammershcmidt cable guides and a standardized (30.9 or 31.6) seat post size. Maybe in future versions. Although, it may ruin some "clean" lines of the frame.
    No worries there. The Peyto was a 30.0mm size, so the same shim I'd used in there for years is now on the Tranny.

Bashring? Yes, mounted in the middle spot. The ring is a 28T mounted on the granny spot, with a JumpStop inside. I'm a spinner more than a masher, so that low of a front ring works just fine for me here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sroman
    very nice bikes, love the trans am, heres mine just converted to singlespeed, think is the first trans am here in colombia

sr
    I'm loving the black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by bad news
    To tell you the truth my major annoyance with my TransAM is that the steatpost is a stupid ****ing size. I have no idea why they didn't make it something you could have more options with adjustable posts without shims, etc with.

Lots of good looking transam's in this thread that all weigh less than mine
    eh, it's a non-issue. using a 27.2mm post with a shim works fine. IMO, it's more of a pain going with an oddball size seat tube clamp.

several dropper posts are available in a 27.2mm format, and it sounds like some of the other major makers of them are working on them in that size.

lotsa tire room

clean looking front end

nice seat cluster

new hanger. nice and beefy. will likely dremel it open so skewer removal is not required.

it's fun

mtbr member
    super nice buids you have there, is there any trans am pic w hammerschmidt?

a pic of last sunday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-pa250039.jpg  

Build More = Ride More
    super nice buids you have there, is there any trans am pic w hammerschmidt?

a pic of last sunday
    I was going to buy one but realized it would not help me much and actually be detrimental.

If you ride up and down terrain where you shift the front every couple hundred feet, then it is an advantage. Otherwise it has gear drag and is not in an ideal chain line for BOTH 11 tooth and 34 tooth rear rings. A dual ring setup will always be more efficient and have better chain lines if you use the 22-34 and 34-11 gearing.

I do a lot of riding for a long time up followed be long downs.

You do gain BB clearance through, which is nice.

mtbr member
    thanks yopawn , usefull info.... my trans am was in the dual ring set up and went siglespeed, loving it but in case of going back to gears ill be back on the previous set up (22-34 front, 34-11 rear ring)
    was thinkin´on buy the HS

Build More = Ride More
    thanks yopawn , usefull info.... my trans am was in the dual ring set up and went siglespeed, loving it but in case of going back to gears ill be back on the previous set up (22-34 front, 34-11 rear ring)
    was thinkin´on buy the HS
    On the other hand, think about how sick it would be to make a twin speed bike? Single in the rear and HS in the front. Now that would be pretty sick for people who want to climb but still have the fun and silence of single speed.

That would be my only motivation to spend money on one. Less weight in the rear, no chain noises, instant shifting, more reliable, less handle bar crap, and the list goes on.

There's no way I could do single speed for my riding, but dual speed sound like it could work. It would one hell of an expensive experiment though.

let us know how it goes if you buy one. Also remember that the fit and finish is not perfect on these frames, so you may have to grind down you ISCG tabs a lot to get them flush.

mtbr member

Idea! mmmmm

On the other hand, think about how sick it would be to make a twin speed bike? Single in the rear and HS in the front. Now that would be pretty sick for people who want to climb but still have the fun and silence of single speed.

That would be my only motivation to spend money on one. Less weight in the rear, no chain noises, instant shifting, more reliable, less handle bar crap, and the list goes on.

There's no way I could do single speed for my riding, but dual speed sound like it could work. It would one hell of an expensive experiment though.

let us know how it goes if you buy one. Also remember that the fit and finish is not perfect on these frames, so you may have to grind down you ISCG tabs a lot to get them flush.

mmmmmm... sounds goood....il think about it.....it would be sick!!!

Bricks Design rider
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    new hanger. nice and beefy. will likely dremel it open so skewer removal is not required.

Don't hesitate to show us pictures once you'll done it.

I have a question : I'd like to transform my TransAM in singlespeed for winter rides, but how do you manage to put the rear wheel correctly, without tuggnut? Thanks for advices.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast