Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 1021
  1. #901
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    175
    Can my wife at 5'4" fit a Medium TA? Can I at 6' have fun on a Medium TA? You might see where I'm going with this? If so, I am looking for a Medium TA frame and a set of cranks for 1x9.

  2. #902
    Bricks Design rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Yes, but you'll need a set of the new bolt-on SS dropouts.

    OK... thanks.
    http://velodesign.wordpress.com/ > my blog about bike and design

  3. #903
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    ...
    Last edited by eurospek; 02-26-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    konahonzo

  4. #904
    Axe
    Axe is online now
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoka Hey View Post
    Can my wife at 5'4" fit a Medium TA? Can I at 6' have fun on a Medium TA? You might see where I'm going with this? If so, I am looking for a Medium TA frame and a set of cranks for 1x9.
    It may work, but you would probably want to have two sets of components - straight post (with female saddle), ~60mm stem with medium width bars with a lot of sweep, and maybe light wheelset. And another with setback post, 90mm stem and wide bars. Then an adjustable fork to run 130mm for your wife and 150mm for you.

    I have a setup just like that, with Sektor RL U-turn, and planning on selling it (need to reduce down from eight bikes in my garage). It is as new, except for a few small scratches on right seatstay - from pinned pedals dragged against it during transport, should be easy to touch up. Orange medium. PM me if interested.

  5. #905
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gianpaolo#34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    37
    COMMENCAL Meta6
    YT Tues 2.0 LTD

  6. #906
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    78
    Quick questions, guys. I left my non-drive side dropout insert at my lbs when I mounted my tires tubeless. Just wondering if it would be alright to ride without it on, or I should wait until I can get it back on there. I'm running geared with a thru-axle, so currently on one side it has the derailleur hanger and the other is just the horizontal dropout.

  7. #907
    jbf
    jbf is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jbf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by seanpatrickb View Post
    Quick questions, guys. I left my non-drive side dropout insert at my lbs when I mounted my tires tubeless. Just wondering if it would be alright to ride without it on, or I should wait until I can get it back on there. I'm running geared with a thru-axle, so currently on one side it has the derailleur hanger and the other is just the horizontal dropout.
    That's how I run mine. The NDS insert is not necessary and my Hadley thru bolt is not long enough to handle the extra length from the insert.

  8. #908
    Movin' to Montana soon
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Gianpaolo#34 View Post
    ...my TransAM video :-)
    Way to rip that T/A,nice work!

  9. #909
    mtbr member
    Reputation: delihustler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    40
    I've got a green TransAm coming this weekend.

  10. #910
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    114

    Mi ta!

    So happy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-img_0440.jpg  

    It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-img_0445.jpg  


  11. #911
    mtbr member
    Reputation: delihustler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    40
    Just got my 2011TA and need a headset, my LBS does Cane Creak, can anyone recommend one from Cane Creak?

  12. #912
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    142
    Anybody have any pics of the newest TA cherry (they call it "transparent") red, other than the ones on the website?
    I'm dying to see what it looks like on the trails/outside!

  13. #913
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464

    konahonzo

  14. #914
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    142
    hmm
    Has anybody seen the red one^ with their own eyes?
    The one in the bottom pic looks like a completely different colour, probably because of the lighting.

  15. #915
    mtbr member
    Reputation: delihustler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    40
    Nearly finished. Need a gear cable to be able to go for a ride, but I want a dropper post, new stem and bars and I want to get rid of a few headset spacers


  16. #916
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
    hmm
    Has anybody seen the red one^ with their own eyes?
    The one in the bottom pic looks like a completely different colour, probably because of the lighting.
    It's one of those colors that looks different in each picture due to lighting.

    With a black fork, especially Kashima, it looks good. It definitely grew on me, at first I didn't like it when they released it. I would get it or the pewter.



    konahonzo

  17. #917
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    142
    I agree, I think the red is beautiful. At first I thought they made a mistake offering it in that colour. Buut the more I looked at it, the more I liked it, hence why I was inquiring about pics

  18. #918
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    16
    Old school RED - Today


  19. #919
    singlespeed stephen
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    31
    Nobody has the baby blue?
    2012 Transition TransAM
    2012 Surly Cross Check
    2010 Rocky Mountain Flow DJ

  20. #920
    singlespeed stephen
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    31
    I'm posting pics of mine as soon as I have enough posts. Just joined...
    2012 Transition TransAM
    2012 Surly Cross Check
    2010 Rocky Mountain Flow DJ

  21. #921
    singlespeed stephen
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    31
    It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-uploadfromtaptalk1333588383680.jpg
    2012 Transition TransAM
    2012 Surly Cross Check
    2010 Rocky Mountain Flow DJ

  22. #922
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    142
    Hey guys, noob question.
    Will a 150mm rear hub fit the new frame? (I'm looking to get tbc revolution 32 150 wheelset)

  23. #923
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
    Hey guys, noob question.
    Will a 150mm rear hub fit the new frame? (I'm looking to get tbc revolution 32 150 wheelset)
    No.
    konahonzo

  24. #924
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    142
    Darn. Thanks eurospek
    Which size of the revolutions would work then?

  25. #925
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
    Darn. Thanks eurospek
    Which size of the revolutions would work then?
    For the new frame you want the Revelotion32 that is Rear: 10x135mm, 12x135mmm, and 12x142mm convertible.

    With the stock configuration, 12x142 will work, 10x135 will work with additional frame adapters sold from Transition.

    The older TransAM frames take 10x135 only.

    And I might have a 2011 Float 36 for sale for your build. You in the USA?
    konahonzo

  26. #926
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    142
    I'll pm you

  27. #927
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    86
    2012 26 inch pewter build pics coming soon....


    Parts in the bin so far...

    Chris King Headset
    PRO Vanderham Bars
    PRO Vanderham Stem
    Hammerschmidt AM crankset w/XO shifter
    X.9 rear derailleur and shifter (9 speed)
    Stans ZTR wheelset

    Parts coming soon...
    Funn Funndamental Pedals
    Funn Crossfire Seat Post
    Continental Trail King tubeless (2.2 rear 2.4 front)
    Rock Shox Revelation (not sure which one yet...) I bought the lyrik solo air DH but returning it as it's just too much fork for the transam imo.

    CANNOT WAIT.

  28. #928
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezy View Post
    2012 26 inch pewter build pics coming soon....

    Can't wait to see it!
    Can we expect a build thread?

  29. #929
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
    Can't wait to see it!
    Can we expect a build thread?
    LOL.

    Is it worthy for it's own thread??

  30. #930
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by freeride333 View Post
    Hey guys, here comes my future one, still virtual :


    Hey, how did you/what did you use to make that?
    I'm having trouble deciding what colours I'd like on my transam, this would be an amazing help.

  31. #931
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezy View Post
    LOL.

    Is it worthy for it's own thread??
    If it's good enough...
    You better post a few pics of it though!

  32. #932
    Axe
    Axe is online now
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,141
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    The older TransAM frames take 10x135 only.
    I use it with a 12x135 wheel and a step-down bolt on axle.

  33. #933
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    32
    About 90% complete, Nothing too fancy, just a bomb proof bike


  34. #934
    Bricks Design rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
    Hey, how did you/what did you use to make that?
    I'm having trouble deciding what colours I'd like on my transam, this would be an amazing help.

    Photoshop...
    http://velodesign.wordpress.com/ > my blog about bike and design

  35. #935
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by freeride333 View Post
    Photoshop...
    Lol ya a noticed shortly after asking.

  36. #936
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    konahonzo

  37. #937
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    86
    Quick n dirty phone pics... I'll take better ones later

    All new parts and I didn't hold back for my dream hardtail.

    26 incher medium pewter frame
    Rockshox Revelation World Cup Dual Air 15mm thru axle
    Hammerschmidt AM crankset w/ XO shifter
    PRO Vanderham bar and stem
    X9 rear short cage derailleur w/ X9 shifter 9 speed
    KMC X9 chain
    Chris King Headset
    Deity Decoy pedals
    SLX Brakes with 6" XT Rotors
    Mavic Crossmax SX wheelset
    Continental Trail king UST 2.2 rear, 2.4 front
    Funn seatpost and WTB seat

    30.07 pounds



    Last edited by cheezy; 04-30-2012 at 12:02 PM.

  38. #938
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    You might want to route your front brake line inside the fork leg.
    konahonzo

  39. #939
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    You might want to route your front brake line inside the fork leg.
    Good idea. This is a fresh build so that little detail didn't cross my mind when we were setting up the brakes. At the time we were just trying to shorten the brake lines without having to bleed the brakes. Will do that when I get home tonight though.

  40. #940
    Propr
    Reputation: Lowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,052






    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

  41. #941
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tints's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    ...
    Last edited by Tints; 06-22-2013 at 01:48 PM.

  42. #942
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Tints View Post
    Hey all.
    I have been debating on what all mountain hardtail to go with. I needed a simple and reliable mtb to ride to work and to hit the trails hard when im not working. Half of the ride to work is city and the other half are trails (I found some sweet trails on route to downtown). It was hard to judge if the Transam was the bike for me based on pictures, reviews and not being able to sit on or ride one. Im not much of a teck guy...this thread tought me alot and helped me on my decision to get the Transam...thanks guys.

    The Transam is addicting on trails! I can't put the bike down. It gives me a good work out. I ended up getting the small transam complete bike with the fox 32 float. Here are a couple quick pics with my phone, on my balcony.
    Hey man, I'm looking to pick up parts for my transam from cycle solutions in T.!
    How is their customer service?

  43. #943
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tints's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Cycle solutions customer service is amaizing! They answered all my ridiculous questions promtly and with out hesitation. I've been meaning to take their stickers off. Great company, they manage their store on Kingston rd really well. I've been to the store on Parlinent st and they had the same level of customer service.

  44. #944
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Luigiugueto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,537
    Sold the TransAM today. Will be buying a Bandit for an August trip to the states (Colorado and Utah)

    Sad to see it leave, but at least it went to the hands of a good friend of mine!

    Hell of a bike. I hope the Bandit will be as amazing as the TA!

  45. #945
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto View Post
    Sold the TransAM today. Will be buying a Bandit for an August trip to the states (Colorado and Utah)

    Sad to see it leave, but at least it went to the hands of a good friend of mine!

    Hell of a bike. I hope the Bandit will be as amazing as the TA!
    Have you thought about the Bandit 29er?
    konahonzo

  46. #946
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Luigiugueto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,537
    Having a one bike quiver id rather have the 26in 5/6in FS trailbike. If I had the chance to have another bike Id definitely give a 29er hardtail a go..

  47. #947
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto View Post
    Having a one bike quiver id rather have the 26in 5/6in FS trailbike. If I had the chance to have another bike Id definitely give a 29er hardtail a go..
    I wasn't talking about the TransAM 29er. If you have a chance, throw a leg over the Bandit 29er.
    konahonzo

  48. #948
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Luigiugueto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,537
    Lol no I got it, thats why I specify the 26in FS trailbike bit.

    I havent particularly liked the 29ers ive tried. I even tried a Niner trailbike once (supposedly best 29ers out there) and felt really weird.

    Although a 29er hardtail makes more sense, itd make for that smoother ride. But I can hardly afford having one bike I cant imagine buying a second one, but if I could, id definitely buy a hardtail 29er.

  49. #949
    Propr
    Reputation: Lowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,052
    set up the 1x9 this weekend with new Gamut 33t, chain guide, and lightweight bash!







    Still love my TA!
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

  50. #950
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dhshuttlemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto View Post
    Sold the TransAM today. Will be buying a Bandit for an August trip to the states (Colorado and Utah)

    Sad to see it leave, but at least it went to the hands of a good friend of mine!

    Hell of a bike. I hope the Bandit will be as amazing as the TA!
    Sold my TA last month and replaced it with a Bandit. Fun bike, but my back doesn't miss it.
    Transition Covert|Transition Bandit|Transition TR450

  51. #951
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by dhshuttlemonkey View Post
    Sold my TA last month and replaced it with a Bandit. Fun bike, but my back doesn't miss it.
    Yeah I tried 2 transam's and had back pain. I now have a 456 hoping maybe the slightly different geometry would help my back. Sadly it didn't. I prefer the hardtail but my back hurts too much riding it. bummer

  52. #952
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by shift96 View Post
    Yeah I tried 2 transam's and had back pain. I now have a 456 hoping maybe the slightly different geometry would help my back. Sadly it didn't. I prefer the hardtail but my back hurts too much riding it. bummer
    How different was the geometry between the two? While my TransAM was a fun All-Mountain bike, it sure was cramped for me, anything longer than an hour on it wasn't fun. Now I'm on a bike with a 26" ETT (50mm stem) and couldn't be happier with the longer ETT. In comparison the TA was 24.2" with a 70mm stem.
    konahonzo

  53. #953
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    How different was the geometry between the two? While my TransAM was a fun All-Mountain bike, it sure was cramped for me, anything longer than an hour on it wasn't fun. Now I'm on a bike with a 26" ETT (50mm stem) and couldn't be happier with the longer ETT. In comparison the TA was 24.2" with a 70mm stem.
    Actually I think the ETT of the 18" 456 is shorter than the TA. About 24" ETT I believe. For some reason I thought it was longer. Are those numbers on the bike you have now a hardtail?

  54. #954
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    114

    Ta ss

    a week ago was 32-18....last sunday 36-18, its harder on long steep uphill but faster......love this bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-img_1064%5B1%5D.jpg  


  55. #955
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    25
    Op's frame looked bahller

  56. #956
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by kbreen30 View Post
    About 90% complete, Nothing too fancy, just a bomb proof bike

    is that fork a vengeance? if so how do you like it? what travel is it set at?

  57. #957
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8
    TransAM 2012 blue
    Fox Float RLC 2011 140mm
    Hope Pro 2 / Mavic 819
    Shimano XTR 970 Cranks
    Thomson seatpost/stem
    Funn DH Bars [760mm]
    Shimano SLX BR-M666 brakes
    Maxxis Ardent

    Last edited by mseest; 06-27-2012 at 12:52 PM.

  58. #958
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by mseest View Post
    TransAM 2012 blue
    Fox Float RLC 2011 140mm
    Hope Pro 2 / Mavic 819
    Shimano XTR 970 Cranks
    Thomson seatpost/stem
    Funn DH Bars [76mm]
    Shimano SLX BR-M666 brakes
    Maxxis Ardent

    Shortest bars ever.

    Looks good.
    konahonzo

  59. #959
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Shortest bars ever.

    Looks good.
    - I have now corrected the width of the bars thanks

  60. #960
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joel RW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    310
    Lovely trans am ss
    Pivot mach 6!

  61. #961
    @ Mos Eisley Cantina
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I have a setup just like that, with Sektor RL U-turn, and planning on selling it (need to reduce down from eight bikes in my garage). It is as new, except for a few small scratches on right seatstay - from pinned pedals dragged against it during transport, should be easy to touch up. Orange medium. PM me if interested.
    Still available? I'd PM, but i'm not allowed due to low post count...PM me, i guess?

  62. #962
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,673

    The Start of the build

    Just got my trans am 29 last night. Waiting on a bunch of parts to show up in the mail but heres the build

    Frame Transition Trans AM 29 size medium Blue Frame weight 6.3lbs
    Fox 32 120 Fork weight uncut steerer 4.05 lbs
    Cane Creek 40
    Hope Pro 2's laced to Stans Flow (setup tubeless)
    Avid Elixir 7 brakes
    x.9 Cranks, Der's
    x.7 shifter
    Sunline flat bar 780 width
    IRC mythos II rear and Nevegal front
    Hope 50mm stem
    Sdg Bel Aire saddle
    Race Face deus seat post
    ODI Cross trainer grips

    Fingers crossed for sub 27 lb bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-transam29.jpg  


  63. #963
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15

    TransAM 1x9

    TransAM 2011 pewter, Small
    Fox 32 TALAS Fit RLC 150MM 15QR
    FSA Impact headset
    Shimano XT 788 wheelset
    Shimano XT 785 brakes
    Shimano XT 770 cranks and rear derailleur
    Shimano XT 785 pedals
    Deor Shifter(without the ugly display)
    E13 32t ring(red) and lightweight bashguard
    N-gear stop jump + DMR bottom chainguide
    Kore 60MM Stem
    Sixpack Menace 72mm bar
    Da bomb skull 2 saddle
    Maxxis advantage 2.1 lust rear, Maxxis high roller 2.35 lust front
    Pro PLT 27.2 Seatpost
    ODI rough grips

    Sorry for the crappy pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-2012-07-18-14.12.26.jpg  

    It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-2012-07-18-14.12.46.jpg  

    It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-2012-07-18-14.13.03.jpg  


  64. #964
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XROBOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10
    So I was a lurker in this thread a few years ago when I was building up my TransAm and never got around to posting pics of it. I just finished cleaning and rebuilding it the other day after stealing a few parts a while ago to get my new bike ride able. So here it is

    Frame: Med 2010
    Wheels: spank rims, halo supa drive/xt hubs
    Bars: Loaded amxc
    drive train: 1x9, stylo cranks, saint deraileur.
    Brakes: Hayes Ace
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-img_20120801_192847edit.jpg  


  65. #965
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11

    Noob's TransAm

    Hey Guys, 1st post and new to MTBing. I just purchased my first MTB from CL:

    2009 TransAm Large
    Fox Talas 32
    SRAM XO drive train (anodized orange)
    Avid Elixer Carbon Brakes w/Code 5 levers
    XTR Crank set
    MTX 33 Wheels on Revolution hubs
    Purgatory Tubeless tires

    Bike looks brand new. I wasnt familiar with Transition till I found the ad and did a little research. How did I do?

    Sorry, appearntly i am unable to post pics

  66. #966
    Axe
    Axe is online now
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,141
    Quote Originally Posted by JibbaJam View Post
    Hey Guys, 1st post and new to MTBing. I just purchased my first MTB from CL:

    2009 TransAm Large
    Fox Talas 32
    SRAM XO drive train (anodized orange)
    Avid Elixer Carbon Brakes w/Code 5 levers
    XTR Crank set
    MTX 33 Wheels on Revolution hubs
    Purgatory Tubeless tires

    Bike looks brand new. I wasnt familiar with Transition till I found the ad and did a little research. How did I do?

    Sorry, appearntly i am unable to post pics
    You did fine if it fits you (how tall are you). I do not like Elixirs, but many people use them just fine. Does it have a bash guard on that crank set? I would have replaced the big ring with some 32t Bbg bash. This bike wants it.

  67. #967
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    Thanks Axe.

    Im 6'2" with 34" inseam. The bike has a very comfortable riding position compared to other bikes i have ridden. It doesnt have a bash graud, but ive though of having one installed since i never use the taller front gear.

    Again, i am very new to MTBing. This is my first bike in over 20 years. I tried to find something that was Large and had good quality components.

    I actually had a flat rear tire the first day I rode it. Air was leaking around one spoke nipple. I am supposed to pick it up from the shop today. Looking forward to an afternoon ride.

    I mostly ride around the city, but wanna try some trail riding when time allows. I notice the bike is a bit on the heavy side. I think it will do me fine to learn on.

  68. #968
    Axe
    Axe is online now
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,141
    Quote Originally Posted by JibbaJam View Post
    Thanks Axe.

    Im 6'2" with 34" inseam. The bike has a very comfortable riding position compared to other bikes i have ridden. It doesnt have a bash graud, but ive though of having one installed since i never use the taller front gear.
    Perfect.

    This thread has NSFW illustrations on why you want a bash guard:
    Calf meet chainring.

    Cheap option is BBG, it fits on my 970 XTR cranks fine, I have no idea about 980 (or doubles)

    Quote Originally Posted by JibbaJam View Post
    I actually had a flat rear tire the first day I rode it. Air was leaking around one spoke nipple. I am supposed to pick it up from the shop today. Looking forward to an afternoon ride.
    If your shop is good, ask them to stick around and explain to you what they do when fixing that leak (bad tubeless tape?)

    Quote Originally Posted by JibbaJam View Post
    I mostly ride around the city, but wanna try some trail riding when time allows. I notice the bike is a bit on the heavy side. I think it will do me fine to learn on.
    It is not really on the heavy side with that kit. It will take a fair amount of beating.

    Buy a toolkit, if you do not have it (like one of those Nashbar sells) and browse Park tools website for maintenance instructions. (Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog)

  69. #969
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    Thanks again for the advice. The shop had to re-tape the wheel and redo the tubeless setup. Good to go now.

  70. #970
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11

    Couple Questions for the experts:

    1) My bike has MTX33 wheels and Purgatory Tires. They are set up tubeless. The tires are huge and no doubt heavy. It also has the larger size (180?) rotors. My front wheel is a little "wobbley" when i spin it. I had the bike shop true the wheel, but the problem persist. The shop said its the tire and not the wheel that is out of true. The brake disc also scrub the pads at certain times. Is that possible, that the wheel is true but the tire and disc are the problem?

    2) Also when i spin the front tire i can hear liquid sloshing about. I assume this it the tubless soulution, but it sounds like there is about 20oz in there sloshing. Is that normal?

    3) My rear break "groans" a bit when i apply light preasure. Its kind of annoying. Any ideas what may be the culprit? Brake pads?

    4) I think my bike weighs in around 29lbs (according to the guy i bought it from). It is definately heavier than the previous bike i was riding. What would be the easiest/cheapest way to save some weight? I was thinking smaller wheels/tires might help.

    Sorry for all the questions, but i am very new to the MTB world. Any advice is appreciated.

  71. #971
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    I have posted a picture of the bike in my user gallery since i dont have the 10 required posts to place an image in the thread

  72. #972
    Axe
    Axe is online now
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,141
    Quote Originally Posted by JibbaJam View Post
    1) My bike has MTX33 wheels and Purgatory Tires. They are set up tubeless. The tires are huge and no doubt heavy. It also has the larger size (180?) rotors. My front wheel is a little "wobbley" when i spin it. I had the bike shop true the wheel, but the problem persist. The shop said its the tire and not the wheel that is out of true. The brake disc also scrub the pads at certain times. Is that possible, that the wheel is true but the tire and disc are the problem?
    Yes, tire can be out of true. Put your bike upside down, spin the wheel and hold your finger next to the rim (not the tire).

    It is a decent tire and wheel combo for the intended use of this bike. If you want to also use it as an all around commuter/gravel path bike, it could be worth investing in a cheap wheelset with some large volume semislick tires. But then you can get a a single speed with cyclocross tires as a second bike for that sort of stuff. About as expensive as a decent wheelset.

    Quote Originally Posted by JibbaJam View Post
    2) Also when i spin the front tire i can hear liquid sloshing about. I assume this it the tubless soulution, but it sounds like there is about 20oz in there sloshing. Is that normal?
    It should be about 2 to 3 oz. And not much dried stuff. CaffeLatex sealant sloshes a bit less (it foams) lasts much longer (a year, vs a few months), but seals punctures not as reliably as Stan's. You could consider using it. Could be a good time to learn to change sealant and reset the tire.

    Quote Originally Posted by JibbaJam View Post
    3) My rear break "groans" a bit when i apply light preasure. Its kind of annoying. Any ideas what may be the culprit? Brake pads?
    I am of opinion that Avid brakes suck. (Maintenance and ergonomics. Except for BB7, which are the best mechanical one.). Search this site for endless thread about turkey gobble and groans. And DOT fluid change is not as convenient. On a couple bikes I have acquired with Avids (Ultimates had been the worst) I had to sell it off to an unsuspecting person on Ebay and buy Shimano.

    Yes, pads may help. I had moderate success with SwissStop and G3 and Formula rotors.

    Quote Originally Posted by JibbaJam View Post
    4) I think my bike weighs in around 29lbs (according to the guy i bought it from). It is definately heavier than the previous bike i was riding. What would be the easiest/cheapest way to save some weight? I was thinking smaller wheels/tires might help.
    That is an good weight for a very capable machine. Purgatory is not a very heavy tire, and a lighter, better wheelset will set you back about as much as a second cheap commuter bike, if you ride pavement a lot.

  73. #973
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    as always, thanks for the help/advice Axe!!

  74. #974
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11

    Finally a Picture!!

    finally got my required 10 post to insert a pic

    I have the newer style frame wrap decal coming from transition. I think it will look good.

    Ive been riding this bike for a week now. While I like it, I really think i want to try a single speed mtb. I think it will be better suited for my "commuting" type riding habbits. I really dont do this beast the justice it desrves putting around town. Im gonna give another week to grow on me and then it may go back on CL/eBay.

  75. #975
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    10
    I just got my new transAM in today and the front derailleur isn't clearing the tire, anyone else had that problem?

  76. #976
    Axe
    Axe is online now
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,141
    Quote Originally Posted by enduro55 View Post
    I just got my new transAM in today and the front derailleur isn't clearing the tire, anyone else had that problem?
    Get the double specific SLX. You are running a bash anyway, right?

  77. #977
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Get the double specific SLX. You are running a bash anyway, right?
    Yeah, I'm running the bash with the 2x10. My only problem is right now I'm living in New Mexico and none of the bike shops where I'm at carry any 2x10 stuff. What is the "double specific' SLX? Is that different than just the standard SLX? I appreciate the help man

  78. #978
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Glynis27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    799
    The double specific 9 speed front derailleur is the M665 and M667. The cage is smaller and won't interfere with the frame and tire. I use one myself. No experience with 10 speed, but that part is M675 and M676.
    '15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

  79. #979
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Does this mean that one would have trouble running a triple in the front on the TransAm?

  80. #980
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynis27 View Post
    The double specific 9 speed front derailleur is the M665 and M667. The cage is smaller and won't interfere with the frame and tire. I use one myself. No experience with 10 speed, but that part is M675 and M676.
    Awesome, thanks for the help

  81. #981
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by marino454 View Post
    Does this mean that one would have trouble running a triple in the front on the TransAm?
    A triple? You're on the wrong frame then.
    konahonzo

  82. #982
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    A triple? You're on the wrong frame then.
    Thanks for the insight bud. Hopefully you can help me with another question I have as well...I'm wondering what would I need to do to swap my old Quadra5 over to my TA?


    This is my first build and I'm still trying to figure out my setup. You've definitely made me feel comfortable asking questions on the forum....

  83. #983
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by marino454 View Post
    Thanks for the insight bud. Hopefully you can help me with another question I have as well...I'm wondering what would I need to do to swap my old Quadra5 over to my TA?


    This is my first build and I'm still trying to figure out my setup. You've definitely made me feel comfortable asking questions on the forum....
    I don't even know what that is.

    But the TransAM begs for a 1x9 or 1x10 with bashguard set up. I ran 2x9 on my old TransAM and never really used the big ring. This season I am 1x9 on all my bikes and I'm just lost at why people need 3x9 or even 3x10 for bikes in the All-Mountain segment. 1x9 and 1x10 will be plenty fine.
    konahonzo

  84. #984
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I don't even know what that is.
    It's this hot piece of equipment:



    ...and I was kidding.

    I appreciate your comments. At the end of the day I'm likely going to go 2x10 for this build and if i don't find the big ring necessary, I'll do 1 with a bash.

  85. #985
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tints's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    ...
    Last edited by Tints; 06-22-2013 at 01:53 PM.

  86. #986
    Axe
    Axe is online now
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,141
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I don't even know what that is.

    But the TransAM begs for a 1x9 or 1x10 with bashguard set up. I ran 2x9 on my old TransAM and never really used the big ring. This season I am 1x9 on all my bikes and I'm just lost at why people need 3x9 or even 3x10 for bikes in the All-Mountain segment. 1x9 and 1x10 will be plenty fine.
    Granny is plenty useful on the local fireroad grinds. You know, to get to good runs downhill.

    Big ring is evil and very dangerous for any spirited riding: Calf meet chainring. (required viewing if you still run it on your AM bike)

  87. #987
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 5power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    438
    DOpe bike whats the weight? just curious I'm building something similar.





    Quote Originally Posted by mseest View Post
    TransAM 2012 blue
    Fox Float RLC 2011 140mm
    Hope Pro 2 / Mavic 819
    Shimano XTR 970 Cranks
    Thomson seatpost/stem
    Funn DH Bars [760mm]
    Shimano SLX BR-M666 brakes
    Maxxis Ardent


  88. #988
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    21
    Hi, does the DT swiss RWS x12 thru axle compatible with 2012 TransAM 12x142 dropout?

  89. #989
    Axe
    Axe is online now
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,141
    Quote Originally Posted by eightyfive View Post
    Hi, does the DT swiss RWS x12 thru axle compatible with 2012 TransAM 12x142 dropout?
    AFAIK RWS is X-12 (Syntace) and Trans-AM is e-thru (Shimano).

    I have tried to run 10x135 RWS on my TransAm (pre-12mm), it was a tad short, switched that wheel to 10mm bolt-on.

  90. #990
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    21
    i see... Thanks for sharing

  91. #991
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    AFAIK RWS is X-12 (Syntace) and Trans-AM is e-thru (Shimano).
    Yes, this is true. Same concept, but slightly different standards (axle interfaces). Choose a Shimano or Transition option and you'll be all set.

  92. #992
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    114

    2009 ta

    my beast is now black
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-img_1517.jpg  


  93. #993
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    22
    I've had this bike for two years now and I just put some new wheels on it. It's a large, single speed and weighs in at 25.5lbs.

    I love everything about this bike. Though I'm considering putting on a better quality rear cog.





    Stock Parts:
    Large Transam Frame
    Sektor RL Fork
    Elixer CR Brakes
    Torsion Bar
    AKA Stem
    Stylo Crankset

    Upgraded Parts:
    Haven Carbon Seat Post
    Chromag 32T Chainring
    LB Carbon Tubeless Rims (23mm inner width)
    DT 240S Rear Hub 10mm
    Hope Pro Font Hub 20mm
    Mountain King II 2.4 Protection Tires

  94. #994
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,093

    Large Frame for sale?

    I've a buddy looking to pick one up.

  95. #995
    mtbr member
    Reputation: delihustler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    40
    I have a 2011 TA and would love to know, will a 27.5" wheel fit in the back? I want some new forks for it, which also means a new front wheel at least.

  96. #996
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Banjopickin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    376
    Thinking about building up a Trans Am SS. I want to run a rigid fork, probably suspension corrected 80mm carbon or steel. Would this work? Seems like most folks' SS's are running 140mm+.

  97. #997
    mtbr member
    Reputation: malen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50
    Just finished my TranAM build. only took a year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-img_1678.jpg  

    Solstice
    TBC TransAm

  98. #998
    undercover brother
    Reputation: tangaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by malen View Post
    Just finished my TranAM build. only took a year.
    Better late than never

  99. #999
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RollingRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    115
    Just finished this build. This is my first foray into the Transition brand and I think I am sold. Great bike. Simple. Fun.

    Frame - Transition TransAM Medium Red
    Headset - Transition
    Fork - DT Swiss XMM 150
    Brakes - Shimano XT + Avid G3 180/160
    Handlebar - Syntace Vector 318 Carbon
    Stem - Syntace F109 70mm
    Grips - ODI TLD
    Pedals - Shimano DX
    Chainset - Shimano SLX 32t + BBG Bash
    Rear cog - 16t
    Seat/seatpost - WTB Devo on Thomson
    Wheels - Mavis Crossmax ST
    Tires - Fr: Maxxis ADvantage LUST Rr: High Roller LUST




  100. #1000
    Axe
    Axe is online now
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,141
    Quote Originally Posted by inkisink View Post
    Tires - Fr: Maxxis ADvantage LUST Rr: High Roller LUST
    Such a solid build and 2.1" tires?




    ...helping you out with posting images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It has arrived - TransAM (pics)-8381926281_8eafaa0495_c.jpg  


Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •