banjo plunker, wrench

Great CHEAP chain tensioner for Bandit 26 and 29er!

I was riding the other day with a friend who had a Specialized 29er and was checking out his OEM "Dangler"...This is a relatively inexpensive chain tensioner to keep the chain from de-railing from a double and even triple chainring set up. The "dangler" retails for around $40 from Specialized and works almost perfectly fitting on the chainstay of the Bandit 29er (in my case)....it also has a chainstay protector that works great on the Bandit!

any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

banjo plunker, wrench
    I was "pm'd" about the orientation of the "cage" of the dangler...Running a triple 10spd set-up the cage works better (at keeping the chain on the rings the way I have it). This is what works for me, in the area where I ride. Specialized recommends running the cage with the longer end towards the rear of the bike, I didn't like the smoothness (or lack of) running it that way across the triple set-up. Also, the dangler includes a snap-on chainstay protector that works great and looks OEM as well.

mtbr member

Looks like an imitation of the Bionicon

The Boinicon swivels from side to side allowing it to stay inline no matter what chainring/cog you are in. $50
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Great CHEAP chain tensioner for Bandit 26 and 29er!-p1020730-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    The Boinicon swivels from side to side allowing it to stay inline no matter what chainring/cog you are in. $50
    Where did you get it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member

PricePoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin View Post
    Where did you get it?
    I had ordered it back in february and it was backordered, they just got some in this week. Not sure if there are any left.

mtbr member
    The Bionicon looks so fragile compared the Specalized OE piece. And about $10 more too.

mtbr member

Yeah but it rotates

The specialized is fixed, if you are cross-chaining at all you are going to get all kinds of noise from the specialized.

banjo plunker, wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    The specialized is fixed, if you are cross-chaining at all you are going to get all kinds of noise from the specialized.
    That's only true if you orient it the way Specialized suggests...that's why I tried it differently and am very well pleased with the results!

p.s. I ride super techy, xc, and dh rides with my Bandit!

mtbr member
    BTW, how is that whole chainstay protector applied to the chainstay? Double sided tape? Zip ties?

banjo plunker, wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    BTW, how is that whole chainstay protector applied to the chainstay? Double sided tape? Zip ties?
    That's the really cool thing about the "dangler" it snaps on the chainstay (an almost perfect fit), and the "cage" is NOT fixed, it does swivel enough to allow double or triple usage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swaneedawg View Post
    I was riding the other day with a friend who had a Specialized 29er and was checking out his OEM "Dangler"...This is a relatively inexpensive chain tensioner to keep the chain from de-railing from a double and even triple chainring set up. The "dangler" retails for around $40 from Specialized and works almost perfectly fitting on the chainstay of the Bandit 29er (in my case)....it also has a chainstay protector that works great on the Bandit!

I've been looking for that Specialized "dangler" for a while but they don't seem to sell it as a spare part, could you please tell me where you bough it?
    Thanks,
    Enzo

banjo plunker, wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by enfig View Post
    I've been looking for that Specialized "dangler" for a while but they don't seem to sell it as a spare part, could you please tell me where you bough it?
    Thanks,
    Enzo
    Hi Enzo! Sorry, I don't visit the forums too much (too busy with riding and shop) I bought it from my local Specialized dealer...In my area Lightning Cycles in Conover, N.C. He presently has more for sale (around $40 retail).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Can anyone provide the part numbers for the Specialized chainstay protector and chain guide? My LBS is p/n challenged.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swaneedawg View Post
    Hi Enzo! Sorry, I don't visit the forums too much (too busy with riding and shop) I bought it from my local Specialized dealer...In my area Lightning Cycles in Conover, N.C. He presently has more for sale (around $40 retail).
    Thanks for your answer, I will check in the Specialized around town, just in case, do you know the part number?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've never seen one of those before but it looks pretty nifty maybe I might get one just to see what it does in person.