mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Go TransAM29 or FS?

6'2", 240lbs. Coming back to the sport after few years off. Looking for something I can get aggressive with but also do long rides and fitness type routines.

I'm not sure I'd like squishy, as I like responsive bikes. On the other hand, it's been a while since I rode technical terrain (used to ride urban stuff before) and I'll need a confidence booster on the drops and jumps.

I was ready to buy a Stumpjumper, but then I discovered the world has moved on to 29ers and it completely threw me off... There are countless options and I'm not sure what's right for me.

I'd like to keep things around $2.5k, or else I'd go with the B29. I've been eyeing the TransAM29 for a while now, it's a real looker and I'm intrigued by going back on a steel hardtail, might be really interesting. On the other hand, there are other options like a Tallboy or a 29 Stumpy that might better for me.

Basically the question is, can the TM29 be an all around weapon that would work well in technical singletrack riding, or should I go FS. If I go with it, then I'll be taking the complete bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My two cents is you should try to demo ride a FS and 29er HT and see what you like best. Really riding is 90% rider skill and motor and 10% bike. 2.5k will get you a nice HT and a 'okay new' or possibly a 'good used' FS.

Transition builds their frames almost excessively strong, and perhaps a little heavy. But if you don't care about a pound or two on the bike then the burly frame is actually really nice because you worry much less about breaking your frame and the frame is generally torsionally stiffer than lighter aluminum frames and thus handles better.

In this case we are talking about steel though. I have taken a TransAm 26'er for a spin and it is a fun, fun bike... i want one. Despite it being a beefy frame it still has that "steel is real" feel. I imagine the TransAm 29 is no different. I live, for a short while longer, on the CO eastern front range and our trails our steep and technical; good riders still rock hardtails all over the place out here (I have seen TransAm's, Chromag's, etc. out on the trails).

humber river advocate
    fuc-it-run-a-29er...

Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee