FS 26 AM for TA 29?!?!?

Printable View

• 11-22-2012
    jbirkle
    FS 26 AM for TA 29?!?!?
    Am I crazy or what? Seems I can't get the TA 29er out of my head... Think I'll regret giving up my high zoot carbon 150+mm AM 26er(c'dale jekyll)???
  • 11-22-2012
    noosa2
    The TA 29 is a fun ride. Here's mine.
    http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/u...2/IMG_1459.jpg

Having said that I'm glad I can switch back to my FS 26er for chunkier rides.:thumbsup:
  • 11-22-2012
    gunt pimp
    if you can only have one bike go with FS.......
  • 11-23-2012
    snowskilz
    the TA 29 is my one and only bike right now. i take it on every trail around eastern pa and she slays them just fine.
  • 11-25-2012
    keith13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snowskilz View Post
    the TA 29 is my one and only bike right now. i take it on every trail around eastern pa and she slays them just fine.

I am in western PA and I ve been riding my SC Heckler on most trails here, and I keep thinking I want to switch it up and try a TransAm29. Do you have any regrets? or any advice on whether I should go with transitions kit or custom it up a bit?
  • 11-25-2012
    snowskilz
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by keith13 View Post
    I am in western PA and I ve been riding my SC Heckler on most trails here, and I keep thinking I want to switch it up and try a TransAm29. Do you have any regrets? or any advice on whether I should go with transitions kit or custom it up a bit?

I bought the frame fork kit and built it with my own parts and ebay finds. personally the value of the complete this year is pretty sick. for 2699 including dropper

Must have a dropper post. i just ordered mine and am waiting for it to ship.

the only change i would make to mine is a reba 29 120. I have been a RS guy for life. The fox works just fine.

mine is 28 lbs with a good chunk of dh parts on it.
  • 11-25-2012
    keith13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snowskilz View Post
    I bought the frame fork kit and built it with my own parts and ebay finds. personally the value of the complete this year is pretty sick. for 2699 including dropper

Must have a dropper post. i just ordered mine and am waiting for it to ship.

the only change i would make to mine is a reba 29 120. I have been a RS guy for life. The fox works just fine.

mine is 28 lbs with a good chunk of dh parts on it.

I really wanted the blue frame, LBS checked on last years for me and they are out of blues. But, back to the real question how much fun is this bike? and at 28lbs thats probably 8 lbs lighter than my Heckler! Does the bike climb well? I can grind up most anything on my Heckler but my XC friends usually beat me to the top with enough time to have a snack or beer by time I catch up. And back to fun, how does it descend?
  • 11-25-2012
    snowskilz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by keith13 View Post
    I really wanted the blue frame, LBS checked on last years for me and they are out of blues. But, back to the real question how much fun is this bike? and at 28lbs thats probably 8 lbs lighter than my Heckler! Does the bike climb well? I can grind up most anything on my Heckler but my XC friends usually beat me to the top with enough time to have a snack or beer by time I catch up. And back to fun, how does it descend?

First off its a 29er which to me feels like a better climber. the lighter bike wont hurt either. Descending its a champ. the 142 rear def stiffens the back end up! I've hit some of the longer descents on this side of the state and into jersey and can keep up with the fully suspension guys. It takes a few rides to get the feeling but once you've got it you'll be railing the trails just the same

I actually got the last blue medium earlier this summer. they had a bunch of reds on hand at the time and being that the 2013's are due here soon i bet they'd make a deal on the 2012's.

My goal for 2013 is 3 bikes. Main bike being the trans am, second xc of a b29 for trips to colorado and vermont and the klunker for fun.

according to strava i have 183 miles on my trans am. all have been rad!
  • 11-26-2012
    trailbrain
    You might miss the rear suspension at first, but then once it sinks in as to how much fun this bike is that will go away. You'll probably end up riding it a bit different than your heckler. I personally find myself standing up more which is actually good. And I will say that the Transition kit probably isn't the lightest however with the beefier build you can really beat this bike up on the descents.

That said I've ordered a new Bandit to complete my stable. One hardtail trail, one full sus and one pumptrack bike.