mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Float 34 RLC or CTD?

How are you guys liking the Float 34 RLC? I have placed an order for my Bandit 29 and apparently the Black RLC availability is not good. The LBS is recommending waiting for the Float CTD or getting the currently available Talas. It do not want Talas. CTD is suppose to be available next month. I don't have a problem with waiting if it is worth it. Thoughts?
    Last edited by MudBike; 04-23-2012 at 09:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I too am looking for a 140mm 29er fork pretty soon but I'm gonna wait and see what some of our resident mtbr suspension aficionados think of the new forks before I decide. One always hopes that new innovations bring better performance but that isn't always the case.

But I have a 120mm Talas fork right now so I can ride today (just did actually); if I didn't have a fork I'd buy what is available today instead of waiting a month or more.

Edit: Oh... I really don't like my talas at all... sticky, not-plush at all, and I never use the travel adjust and this is on a Rip9. With a slacker head angle on the bandit29 I imagine there is even less reason to have travel adjust.

mtbr member
    This is interesting. Apparently the 34's spring rate is revised for '13:

'...rider and bike manufacturer feedback suggested the previous spring rate was too progressive so the negative spring is now longer and uses a softer spring rate, thus flattening out the curve deeper into the travel for a more coil-like feel while even reducing the initial breakaway force for improved sensitivity.'

They give a short ride report on the CTD forks, about 2/3 down. Seems like you lose some fine-tunability over the RLC, and the 'climb' mode they found almost redundant, but 'trail' mode they liked a lot:

FOX 2013: New CTD Damper, 34 Forks And More - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Does anyone know when the new forks will be available?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MudBike View Post
    How are you guys liking the Float 34 RLC? I have placed an order for my Bandit 29 and apparently the Black RLC availability is not good. The LBS is recommending waiting for the Float CTD or getting the currently available Talas. It do not want Talas. CTD is suppose to be available next month. I don't have a problem with waiting if it is worth it. Thoughts?
    Its good but not earth shatteringly solid like I'd have hoped. It would have been nice to see what could have happened if Fox had spec'ed a 20mm axle. Or perhaps Rock Shox will go with 34mm on the Revelation thus beating Fox to the punch.

The 2012 Fit cartridge is acceptably damped unlike the POS 2011 FIT cartridge that blew through mid-stroke travel
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudBike View Post
    Does anyone know when the new forks will be available?
    A few weeks out as I was told by Transition. They are heavily backordered ATM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The new CTD fork and improved spring curve are well worth a few weeks wait. I have been riding it and the spring curve improvement is huge. Actually using all 140mm is nice!

CTD damper versus RLC is not a make or break, but the CTD adjustments are more intuitive to use and actual damper performance is equal/better certainly not worse.

mtbr member
    Any updates/critiques on the new CTD stuff, especially the 34 forks?

Overall, still unimpressed with the CTD stuff?

I have a 2012 Talas 34 FIT RLC and debating if I should ditch it completely for a new 2013 CTD Float 34 or just do the Float cartridge replacement at the end of the season on the Talas.

The reviews I've been reading haven't been great (Bikeradar.com) and others completely the opposite (from you guys).

mtbr member
    Dusting off a slightly buried thread...

Thoughts on this topic, now that plenty of people have likely ridden both?

I potentially have the chance to trade my 2013 32 120 CTD for a 2012 34 140 RLC. This is for my 2 month old RIP, which I'm looking to get a bigger fork on.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Do it!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Do it!!!!
    Tell me why, Euro! Just stiffness and travel outweighing the benefits of CTD? Or is RLC better?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Tell me why, Euro! Just stiffness and travel outweighing the benefits of CTD? Or is RLC better?
    Benefits of CTD? All I've read online (from people and website/mag reviews) are nit picks with the CTD. Not one complete review where it said it's blown FIT RLC outta the water.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Benefits of CTD? All I've read online (from people and website/mag reviews) are nit picks with the CTD. Not one complete review where it said it's blown FIT RLC outta the water.
    My 2013 140 CTD blows my 2012 FIT 140 out of the WATER!

There, it's been said. Seriously though I'd have to say I don't notice a huge difference yet but don't have enough rides to make a definitive decision.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Ha! And what'd you do with your 2012?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    If I had a place to write a review I would say it blows it out of the water. Not as much because of the CTD part, but because of the improved air spring curve. The CTD forks have way more usable travel than the RLC forks.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Ha! And what'd you do with your 2012?
    It's on my 2011 Stumpy. It's a great shock, don't get me wrong. What I like about the CTD is that it goes through the travel without me noticing. I'll get through a section of ride and see how much travel I've used without feeling it.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...